or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple brings $19 Lightning to Micro USB adapter to U.S. stores

Apple brings $19 Lightning to Micro USB adapter to U.S. stores

post #1 of 57
Alongside the iPad mini, Apple on Friday introduced the Lightning to micro USB adapter, a tiny dongle first available in Europe, to the U.S. market.

Lightning to micro USB Adapter
Official Lightning to micro USB Adapter. | Source: Apple

Initially built and released in tandem with the iPhone 5 in Europe to fulfill the European Commission's regulation that all smartphones sold in the region be micro USB compatible, the $19 adapter has finally landed in North America.

Previously, those iPhone, iPod and now iPad users needed to buy the component through third-party resellers or directly from an Apple Store in Europe if they wanted to charge and sync their devices via micro USB. As there is no official standard in the U.S., manufacturers offer their products in a variety of charging methods, causing many consumers to build up a stockpile of various cables and chargers. The Lightning to micro USB adapter looks to do away with at least one of those cables.

Apple's adapter is compatible with the iPhone 5, fifth-generation iPod touch, seventh-generation iPod nano, fourth-generation iPad, and iPad mini. According to the company's website, the dongle is able to both charge and sync devices, though it is unlikely that audio line out is supported as the Lightning protocol is completely digital and would require an embedded digital-to-analog converter to function.

The $19 adapter can be purchased directly from the Online Apple Store, with shipments available to ship in one to three days.
post #2 of 57

The 30-pin adapter is receiving lots of complaints that it will not work with iDevices that have a case because the lightning part is not long enough. Will this USB adapter work with cases?

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #3 of 57
slick and compact.
post #4 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The 30-pin adapter is receiving lots of complaints that it will not work with iDevices that have a case because the lightning part is not long enough. Will this USB adapter work with cases?

Case designers who are authorized were given the specifications to work their designs around. The onus in on them to fix their designs.

post #5 of 57

What is the usage for this adapter? 

You stick the lightning end into your iPad or iPhone, and then you connect the Micro USB part to what? A Micro USB power supply or something? What's wrong with the Apple power supply?

I'm only asking, because I don't think that I have any devices or things that uses Micro USB. I might have a camera that has it, but I'm not sure.

post #6 of 57
Maybe this will help the stock ... this unending slide is getting a little unbearable.
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] it is unlikely that audio line out is supported as the Lightning protocol is completely digital and would require an embedded digital-to-analog converter to function.

Am I missing something here? Three out of the four computer audio interfaces I own connect to the computer via USB. The D-A conversion occurs in the audio device, NOT in the cable. Why would audio peripherals for iDevices be any different?

post #8 of 57
Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post
Maybe this will help the stock...

How? MicroUSB is meaningless to tech and SHOULD be meaningless to everyone.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What is the usage for this adapter? 

It's for people who have a Micro USB cable and an iOS device with a Lightning port.  You may not have many Micro USB devices or cables, but I have a ton.  Cameras, headphones, hard drives, more hard drives, even more hard drives...

In many cases, swapping out the cable is difficult.  So you could use a really long, really short, or multi-headed Micro USB cable and connect it to different stuff, but when you wanted to connect it to an iOS device, just put this adapter on.

post #10 of 57

I'm just curious why the micro chip is needed to charge the device, I will by the story for dynamic pin switching for data, video, etc. but just charging the device it is a way too much. So lets be honest Apple is using the security chip to charge extra for the cable, and enough with the hypocrisy that this is technology driven only. It is technically possible to charge the device without microchip.  :)

post #11 of 57
The iPhone.

A beautiful, minimalist piece of equipment: plugged into twenty-six different joined connectors.

And Apple really needs to make these things available on launch day. Along with docks, cases, and covers.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

It's for people who have a Micro USB cable and an iOS device with a Lightning port.  You may not have many Micro USB devices or cables, but I have a ton.  Cameras, headphones, hard drives, more hard drives, even more hard drives...

In many cases, swapping out the cable is difficult.  So you could use a really long, really short, or multi-headed Micro USB cable and connect it to different stuff, but when you wanted to connect it to an iOS device, just put this adapter on.

Now that you mention it, I guess that I do have a couple of external 2.5" hard drives that do use a Micro USB connector.

But can you even plug in a hard drive to an iOS device and have access to it? I thought that wasn't possible, afaik.

post #13 of 57
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
And Apple really needs to make these things available on launch day. Along with docks, cases, and covers.

It was, in the countries that demand its existence.

Oh, unless you mean "shipping on launch day" when applied to all accessories.

post #14 of 57

"But can you even plug in a hard drive to an iOS device and have access to it? I thought that wasn't possible, afaik."

Nope  Apple is too insecure to allow you to do that.

post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

But can you even plug in a hard drive to an iOS device and have access to it? I thought that wasn't possible, afaik.

That's not what it's for. Imagine this scenario:

I have a desktop computer that's set up in a way that getting at the ports on the back is a hassle. While I'm setting it up I plug in a USBA-to-MicroUSB cable and leave the micro end dangling on the desk. That plug connects to absolutely every single peripheral I own -- graphics tablet, external hard drive, all three cameras and the custom keypad -- but not my iPhone because it's special and needs to have its own, unique connector. I can either leave ANOTHER cable dangling on the desk, or I can use the adaptor described here to connect my iPhone using the otherwise universal MicroUSB cable that's already there.

Edited by v5v - 11/3/12 at 1:49am
post #16 of 57
Originally Posted by sideout9257 View Post
Nope  Apple is too insecure to allow you to do that.

Why is it the single posters are some of the least informed of anyone?

And by "least informed" I mean trollish.

post #17 of 57

This is just a handy adapter to let you use an existing Micro USB cable, nice to have in the travel bag.  I found the stock Lightning to USB connector to be fairly compact and it fits with a case on.  The 30Pin adapter needs to be flush to the bare phone so a case would need a huge hole in the bottom so they are a fail for me not to mention the bulk right at the phone. 

The 30pin adapter with short cable has a thicker cable and a much fatter Lightning connector housing that can interfere with cases, I shaved mine down to fit. 

This micro USB adapter looks to be chubbier than the stock Lightning adapter as well, we'll see.

post #18 of 57
Wtf the layout has been changed again?
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #19 of 57
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post
Wtf the layout has been changed again?

Yep. Comment on it here.

post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When I decided to join and post, first post and a negative Apple comment, the thought crossed my mind that someone might think it trollish.

I long fought going iOS because of how locked up Apple likes to keep their devices.  Before I was a long time Nokia/Symbian user.  Finally, broke down, the GUI, build and design won me over.  Started with 3GS and then upgraded with the iP5.  Would I like to be able to attach a USB drive through the Lightning port, yes.  Is Apple ever going to allow you to do it...  I highly doubt it.  Geez  Can't even give us a SD micro slot.  But whatever, TS, I am not uninformed, let alone least.  LET ALONE a TROLL

post #21 of 57
Originally Posted by sideout9257 View Post
Would I like to be able to attach a USB drive through the Lightning port, yes.

But why, is the question. What purpose would this serve?

Can't even give us a SD micro slot.

post #22 of 57
Quote:

How? MicroUSB is meaningless to tech and SHOULD be meaningless to everyone.

Other way around; MicroUSB is meaningless to only Apple. Essentially every other device or phone on the planet uses it. But hey it'll give those coming from a crappy Android phone an easy way to gain a cable. 

I guess we got the answer that the power requirements in lightning really are the same as mUSB. Wish that had come out a week ago, before I bought more cables, oh well I'll probably pick one up anyway since I have million mUSB cables. Apple will sell a ton of these, probably why they held off on launching them in the US.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post

Maybe this will help the stock ... this unending slide is getting a little unbearable.

When the stock goes down you are supposed to buy more. 1wink.gif
post #24 of 57
All I can think of is the quote "... but they make the coolest adapters!"

Apple invents Lightning, then charges for adapters $19 and $29. Just sick.
post #25 of 57
Quote:

This is by design.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #26 of 57

I'd be happy with a stinkin car charger!

post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Other way around; MicroUSB is meaningless to only Apple. Essentially every other device or phone on the planet uses it. But hey it'll give those coming from a crappy Android phone an easy way to gain a cable. 

I guess we got the answer that the power requirements in lightning really are the same as mUSB. Wish that had come out a week ago, before I bought more cables, oh well I'll probably pick one up anyway since I have million mUSB cables. Apple will sell a ton of these, probably why they held off on launching them in the US.

No, it isn't a universal standard except for power cables in the EU. I have four different USB standard cables to oppose the previous two cables from Apple. And one of the Apple cables is Firewire. To explain further would require the presumption that you understand what you are trying to express.

Cheers

post #28 of 57
Does this mean we can finally get support for wired ethernet on the iPad?

i.e. Lightning to USB, and Apple USB -> ethernet connector (as used on the Macbook Air)???

About time .... I prefer to use wired ethernet when possible, not just for speed, but to reduce/ limit exposure to wi-fi radiation.
post #29 of 57
Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post
Does this mean we can finally get support for wired ethernet on the iPad?
i.e. Lightning to USB, and Apple USB -> ethernet connector (as used on the Macbook Air)???

That's never going to work.

post #30 of 57
"Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, LG, NEC, Qualcomm, RIM, Samsung and Apple have all signed an agreement to make MicroUSB the standard charging/connectivity technology in Europe. This is awesome news for Euroconsumers who no longer have to worry about buying/matching proprietary cables from various manufacturers and it is surely an environmental victory as consumers frequently discard used cables that are in perfectly working condition simply because they aren%u2019t compatible with their current phone."

so what does apple do? work around the agreement, with an adapter microsoft style. awesome for the bottom line.
post #31 of 57
Quote:

It was, in the countries that demand its existence.

Oh, unless you mean "shipping on launch day" when applied to all accessories.

All I know is that I have my beautiful, black jewel of iPhone 5 sitting on a piece of cloth on my bedside table (not the best look) and, not having a case yet, I'm more than concerned that the phone may be nicked, scratched or, heaven forbid, dropped whenever I use it outside.

These things weren't exactly 'lightning fast' in making an appearance.

Late-gate, anyone?
post #32 of 57
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
…I have my beautiful, black jewel of iPhone 5 sitting on a piece of cloth on my bedside table (not the best look)…

I know, right? 

MAKE A DOCK, APPLE. Nearly five and a half years now, I've had my iPhone sitting on my desk, IN ITS DOCK. Who the heck would want to put it flat on any surface that isn't soft? Or any surface at all?

post #33 of 57
Quote:

I know, right? 

MAKE A DOCK, APPLE. Nearly five and a half years now, I've had my iPhone sitting on my desk, IN ITS DOCK. Who the heck would want to put it flat on any surface that isn't soft? Or any surface at all?

Oh sure, when I complain that the absence of a 17" option affects my work you say I'm a whiner who doesn't understand the real world, but when they don't offer an option YOU want...

1wink.gif Just ribbin' ya.

post #34 of 57
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
Oh sure, when I complain that the absence of a 17" option affects my work you say I'm a whiner who doesn't understand the real world, but when they don't offer an option YOU want...

1wink.gif Just ribbin' ya.

Did I say that? For what, desktops or laptops? I dunno, I always wanted a 17" laptop myself, but it's just not a good utilization of space.

post #35 of 57
Quote:

Err, to increase storage for photos and making it easier to transfer to a computer.

post #36 of 57
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
Err, to increase storage for photos and making it easier to transfer to a computer.

iCloud. No connecting. No cables at all. Just send it to the computer, and vice versa. And the Camera Connection Kit handles directly from cameras and SD cards.

post #37 of 57
Quote:

iCloud. No connecting. No cables at all. Just send it to the computer, and vice versa.

I have no WiFi where I spend better than 50% of my time, and only a small cellular data allotment. Cloud storage is an inconvenient and expensive option for me (not to mention a damn SLOW one -- even USB2 is almost an order of magnitude faster).

To combat this I swallowed an alternative expensive option, which was to pay Apple $200 for ten bucks worth of flash storage which I try to load up before I leave the house with as much as I can, taking my best guess at what I'll need or want that day. I then carry the bulk of my media library around on a portable hard drive that I have to carry anyway for projects, but there's no way to get stuff from the drive to the iDevice without a computer in between. Most of the time that's not a major obstacle for me, but it is a nuisance and a bigger problem for those who don't carry a laptop. It sure would be handy if iDevices could access external storage directly (did I read somewhere that the Microsoft Surface can do that?).

Quote:

And the Camera Connection Kit handles directly from cameras and SD cards.

Does the Camera kit allow the user to offload FROM the iDevice TO external storage, or only FROM external storage TO the iDevice? Does it even support file types other than still images?

post #38 of 57
Apple: because you have more money than sense.
post #39 of 57
Originally Posted by obvious troll View Post
Apple: because you have more money than sense.

I don't think we've had a username that has rung truer. 

post #40 of 57
Quote:

I don't think we've had a username that has rung truer. 

LOL.

Watch the head of the troll roll...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple brings $19 Lightning to Micro USB adapter to U.S. stores