or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple brings $19 Lightning to Micro USB adapter to U.S. stores

Apple brings $19 Lightning to Micro USB adapter to U.S. stores - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How? MicroUSB is meaningless to tech and SHOULD be meaningless to everyone.
It is an industry standard, something meaningless would rather be such a comment...
post #42 of 57
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
It is an industry standard…

And so are Thunderbolt and Lightning.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #43 of 57
Quote:

And so are Thunderbolt and Lightning.

Nope.

post #44 of 57
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
Nope.

So any proof of that, or just a nope?

post #45 of 57
Quote:

So any proof of that, or just a nope?

Annoying, isn't it? When someone just poo-poos what you say with no information whatsoever? Guess where I got the inspiration for that?

I started to say that while Thunderbolt is, technically, an industry standard, it is hardly ubiquitous, and that Lightning is, in fact, NOT an industry standard as it is unique to Apple products, but then I remembered the example set by a certain moderator and decided to follow suit, replacing all that superfluous verbiage with a succinct, one-word repudiation.

I promise to stop doing that if you will.

post #46 of 57
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
Guess where I got the inspiration for that?

The head of the political party with which you disagree. lol.gif

Because you certainly didn't look anything up at all when you pretended to refute what I've said, which was based on me looking things up.

…Thunderbolt is, technically, an industry standard…

And since you agree with me, it was completely pointless to have had this exchange.

post #47 of 57
Quote:

The head of the political party with which you disagree. lol.gif

Because you certainly didn't look anything up at all when you pretended to refute what I've said, which was based on me looking things up.

And since you agree with me, it was completely pointless to have had this exchange.

I'm glad that you picked up on the fact that I was just goofing around and really not serious.

I do NOT actually agree with you, though. I believe it takes more than making a spec available for licensing to make it an "industry standard." There has to be widespread adoption and use. Thunderbolt does not satisfy that criterion. You can still count the number of Thunderbolt products on the market on your fingers.

Lightning doesn't satisfy ANY of the conditions for being considered an "industry standard." It is used by one company, period, and that one company imposes strict controls on who may implement it and how. Or at least they claim they will, eventually. They haven't even done THAT yet.

post #48 of 57

why not buy the whole cable for the same price?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable

post #49 of 57
Originally Posted by chefboy View Post
why not buy the whole cable for the same price?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable

Because this is an adapter for MicroUSB, created for the EU, who thinks they know better than an actual tech company what ports should be on devices.

post #50 of 57

Hello,

This is my first experience of AppleInsider and I need to ask a question about iPad's lightning connector. I am planning to buy an iPad 4 and am concerned about its storage. I have some huge amount of data that is needed by me on the go and hence I am thinking of the getting an iPad. My concern is that that data maybe around 80-90 GB which include frequently used academic videos, e-books and other stuff. Now, can this lightning connector be used like an ordinary USB port? Will it allow data transfer between my 1TB Seagate Portable Expansion External Hard Drive? If there is anyway to do it, that would be amazing. I might go for a basic iPad of 16 GB and then can continuously switch my data between my hard drive and the iPad. Please help as I am losing time to order and use my first ever Apple product!

Thanks in advance

:)

post #51 of 57
Originally Posted by chinmayrshah View Post
Now, can this lightning connector be used like an ordinary USB port? Will it allow data transfer between my 1TB Seagate Portable Expansion External Hard Drive?

No. Do you really need ~100 gigabytes of anything with you on your tablet?

post #52 of 57

No. Not exactly. What I wanted is that I didn't want to fill up my iPad with all the useful stuff. What I wanted is that I need them to be handy. With my external hard drive with me all the time, I need not have to worry about missing any file. I hate to prioritize and stuff the files because all of my academic files are useful at any moment. It's like several e-books on structural engineering, high definition videos and lot more to stuff in an iPad. Can you recommend an alternate solution other than buying a higher storage iPad?

Thanks for the help.

:)

post #53 of 57

How often will you be near your computer? Just sync whatever you need for that day from iTunes before you head out. Swap out what you don't if you run out of room. 

post #54 of 57

I do hope that I remain near the computer often. As I am thinking, I may not need to worry more on that now. It won't be that a big issue, I guess. Being my first Apple product, I wanted to ask that does the iPad (4th) Wi Fi need any unlocking or so? I am planning to get it from the US and I reside in India.

post #55 of 57

I saw that SD Card connector, aka Camera Kit. What exactly does it do? Or is it just the photos that it transfers/stores?

post #56 of 57
I saw that SD Card connector, aka Camera Kit. What exactly does it do?

Pop your SD card out of your camera, plug it into the iPad via that, photos transfer to the iPad from the card. You can't use it as extra storage.

post #57 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

I saw that SD Card connector, aka Camera Kit. What exactly does it do?

Pop your SD card out of your camera, plug it into the iPad via that, photos transfer to the iPad from the card. You can't use it as extra storage.

One could take the hassle way by saving all their documents as .pdf (through Cmd-P, save as) and use PDF2JPG.workflow that I found on the internet. Then you'd be flipping pages of your documents in the photo app on you iOS device - lol
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple brings $19 Lightning to Micro USB adapter to U.S. stores