or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad mini unboxing: super slim, very light

iPad mini unboxing: super slim, very light

post #1 of 73
Apple's new iPad mini takes the company's blockbuster tablet and reduces it down, giving it a more natural weight and size for carrying around.

When the iPad first appeared in 2010, it was derisively mocked by critics for being "just a big iPod touch."

iPad mini unboxing

iPad mini unboxing

After selling 100 million of them, Apple has now released the iPad mini as something closer to being a "big iPod touch," sharing much in common with the new design of the fifth generation iPod touch, although retaining the "big app" functionality of its full size iPad siblings.

iPad mini unboxing

Overall, it seems to fit perfectly in-between the full sized iPad and the iPhone. Unlike "tweener" tablets, it doesn't sacrifice screen area or resolution to do this, nor does it invent a new screen resolution; it's like a scaled down iPad 2.

iPad mini unboxing

Because its smaller with the same resolution, some text is small, particularly icon labels and the clock bar at the top of the screen. This isn't a scaled up iPod touch; if you're looking for a big screen iPhone, the iPad mini doesn't deliver that. It's a smaller iPad.

iPad mini unboxing

The new iPad mini is 7.2mm thick, the same as the new iPod touch and thinner than the iPhone 4/4S/5 (and significantly thinner than any other iPad).

It ships with a smaller, iPhone-style USB power adapter (the 10-12 watt iPad version charges faster) and a USB-Lightning cable. The Smart Cover is sold separately in a variety of colors.

iPad mini unboxing

Critics are comparing the price of the iPad mini to cheaper tablets sold as loss leaders in big to gain market share. Apple clearly didn't design the iPad mini just to reach downward in price. It doesn't feel cheaper than existing iPads; it feels like a more comfortable easily portable size and weight.

It's also significantly thinner. It has the new squared corners and chamfered edge of the iPod touch (and iPhone 5). It shares the Smart Cover design of the larger iPads, but jettisons the former metal hinge for a rubbery joining edge that attaches like a suction cup.

iPad mini unboxing

iPad mini unboxing

With the Smart Cover on and closed, it looks almost exactly the same size as Amazon's Kindle Fire HD (although it's substantially thinner). Flip the lid open though, and there's a lot more screen, albeit fewer pixels.

iPad mini unboxing

iPad mini unboxing

Stay tuned for our in depth review of Apple's new iPad mini. Ask any questions about the new product in the comments below and we'll try to address them in the full review.
post #2 of 73
Why did you compare it next to the iPhone 4S? No iPhone 5 nearby?
post #3 of 73

Another UNBOXING video ??? I was wondering if they edited all the unboxing videos for Apple products, and made a Blockbuster movie.. would they have 5 million viewers in one weekend??

post #4 of 73
How does the fonts look like? More like iPad 1/2 or closer to retina?
post #5 of 73
One thing i noticed with mine. it only comes with a 5w charger. Apple should ditch that, 10W or above, all around.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #6 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan King View Post

I was just comparing ipad2 to mini... its much better, but no retina.

post #7 of 73
I just checked out the mini and it looked pretty cool. However, I just can't get past that lack of retina display though. I've become really, really spoiled by that.

Ironically, on the way home, I thought I saw someone using one...until he put it up to his ear.

Nope, I thought.

Just a another silly-looking Galaxy Note user...
post #8 of 73
Non retina = piece of cheap shit
post #9 of 73
Originally Posted by anfboymn View Post
Non retina = piece of cheap shit

Just like the new iMac.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #10 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

One thing i noticed with mine. it only comes with a 5w charger. Apple should ditch that, 10W or above, all around.

How about a 50w or 100w charger?

Why make it bigger than it needs to be? Most people probably leave their charger plugged in all the time.

post #11 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan King View Post

its pretty good but if you have an iPad 3 you will notice pretty quickly its not retina.  But the screen looks very good and after a few minutes you forget about it.

post #12 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just like the new iMac.

My 27" iMac is still the best looking screen out there.  I guess retina on that size would just be too expensive and the macs are already pretty expensive.

post #13 of 73
I just went to the store to check it out. It's very important to me that I be able to read journal articles for school so I wouldn't deal with a poor screen. I have to say... the mini's screen is really nice. Sure, it's not retina and I completely agree that Apple dissed consumers by not putting the best inside the hood of the mini, but I think a lot of people have been blowing this way out of proportion. I intend to grab it as soon as its available.
post #14 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

My 27" iMac is still the best looking screen out there.  I guess retina on that size would just be too expensive and the macs are already pretty expensive.

I think you misunderstood TS. It was his way of saying how ridiculous it is to say the iPad screen is a POS.

post #15 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

How about a 50w or 100w charger?

Why make it bigger than it needs to be? Most people probably leave their charger plugged in all the time.

So why not provide a 1w charger, as most people probably leave their charger plugged in all the time, why make it bigger than it needs to be?

The main issue with charger size is the slow speed of recharging.  My ipad 10w charger, which is identical size to the 5w iphone charger, is far superior.  Using a 10w charger on the ipad3/4 is comical.  The ipad3/4 has a battery that contains more energy than the 11" Macbook Air (42.5 vs 35), but a charger that provides far slower progress (10w vs 45w).  

Not an optimal experience.  

But hey, just keep it plugged in, all the time?   I am sure that works up the easy coast at the moment.

post #16 of 73
It sounds like a screen compatible to iPhone 3G & S, yet they should have it at 1080p, nothing higher like 1400 on current iPads. Making it close to full size making it retina. Also something that makes sence.
post #17 of 73
On the new iMac they did something to the screen finish to reduce the glare. Does it look like they're trying something similar with this?
post #18 of 73
For those who've seen it and want retina - if apple had offered retina screen for $70 more, would that have been an easy decision?
post #19 of 73

About the displey. The white is not white. I would say it's gray. Nevertheless I love the new iPad mini and probably I'll wait for 2nd generation with Retina. 

post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfboymn View Post

Non retina = piece of cheap ****

It's that way, because some people don't need it and in order to do a Retina display and put a better processor with a decent battery, etc., it would cost more to make, it would then have to be thicker, heavier and more expensive. Maybe the Retina version will be out next year if they can figure out how to do the things some people are expecting. 

Maybe they are fulfilling some specs for large customers that we don't know about and this will suit them and they figured it was the best of all worlds at this time. Since the resolution is as it is it might also make it easier on the developers with their apps as well, as the way a app would scale down from the 9.7 retina display.

post #21 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

For those who've seen it and want retina - if apple had offered retina screen for $70 more, would that have been an easy decision?

They would have to put a better processor and bigger, thicker, heavier battery as well.  Would you still buy it?

Personally, I have the iPad 4 and love it.  I can't wait for more high resolution apps to come out to take advantage of the new processor.

post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

..and a bit pointless, unless you're going to sit with your face bang up to the screen.

post #23 of 73

I think Apple's next step for screen is maybe not higher resolution per se, but more colors available to be shown.  I think that's the direction of the next generation screens. It may surface next year or the year after.

post #24 of 73
just bought the cheap mini for a project, i am suprisingly pleased with the smaller form factor, to a point where I am considering ditching my full size IPad and replacing it with a fully specced mini. When moving between devices the lack of retina display is noticable for the first minute or so than the eyes adjust and the display looks ok. Don't like the new smart cover as the hinge is plastic and the attachments dont line up properly all the time.
post #25 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanVerb View Post

..and a bit pointless, unless you're going to sit with your face bang up to the screen.

I have the late 2009 27" iMac and also the retina iPad. I sit about 2 ft. from the screen and the text is noticeably less sharp and clear than the iPad.

Especially for detail work. But I also appreciate the cost issue to go retina. So when the cost & performance align. I'll pull the trigger. Until then, Retina is more compelling then thinner screen width or faster processor.

__________________________________________________ _
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." (Mark Twain)
__________________________________________________ _
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." (Mark Twain)
post #26 of 73
Can you really hold the width of the Mini like in the promo? Looks big but 5.3 inches is almost the size of a dollar bill so its plausible. I highly doubt anyone would actually hold it that way.

edit: never mind. I watch the Apple Event again.
Edited by lightstriker - 11/3/12 at 5:47am
post #27 of 73
Looks like its screen has a very different colour balance (of importance to photographers)
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjapk View Post

Looks like its screen has a very different colour balance (of importance to photographers)

If you're using an iPad mini or an iPad as a professional "photographer"- you should look for a new job. 1smile.gif
I agree about colors though- the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 color reproduction is absolutely brilliant- better than anything else out there. Interested to see the minis results.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #29 of 73
Originally Posted by pjapk View Post

No, it's just new. The yellow goes away.

post #30 of 73
The new iPad mini is 7.2mm thick, the same as the new iPod touch and thinner than the iPhone 4/4S/5 (and significantly thinner than any other iPad).

Incorrect, the new iPod Touch is 6.1 mm thick not 7.2mm!
post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

just bought the cheap mini for a project, i am suprisingly pleased with the smaller form factor, to a point where I am considering ditching my full size IPad and replacing it with a fully specced mini. When moving between devices the lack of retina display is noticable for the first minute or so than the eyes adjust and the display looks ok. Don't like the new smart cover as the hinge is plastic and the attachments dont line up properly all the time.

That's interesting. I think a few corners were cut with the iPad mini, but it's still able to run iOS applications as well as the iPad 2, while managing to increase portability, so I think it sounds like a winner for Apple. Personally, I'm ready for the next 9.7 inch iPad to be thinner and lighter, but keep the top-shelf hardware and features.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 73
Quote:

His point was that not having the marketing term Retina applied does not mean it's crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's interesting. I think a few corners were cut with the iPad mini, but it's still able to run iOS applications as well as the iPad 2, while managing to increase portability, so I think it sounds like a winner for Apple. Personally, I'm ready for the next 9.7 inch iPad to be thinner and lighter, but keep the top-shelf hardware and features.

I'm certain Rogue 6 will be needed for that. I don't see any way to reduce power consumption to a point that will allow for a significantly smaller battery that will still retain that 10 hour window without Rogue 6. There is a better backlighting system, something that might be helped by in-cell so there are less layers for light to pass but I think that is minor compared to the GPU update which I don't think will happen until the second half of 2013.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #33 of 73
OT: I would like Apple's packaging to get smaller.

post #34 of 73
Quote:

How are you forgetting that people have said that for every new Apple product with Retina screen?

Retina isn't as beneficial as with other products, but in doing text work, CAD and vector drawings, Retina will certainly be useful. But because of the screen sizes involved, it might be the last to get such an update.
post #35 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How are you forgetting that people have said that for every new Apple product with Retina screen?
Retina isn't as beneficial as with other products, but in doing text work, CAD and vector drawings, Retina will certainly be useful. But because of the screen sizes involved, it might be the last to get such an update.

What time frame do you think is possible? I'm hoping next year with what I think will be a Mac Pro update (in some way) and AirPort router/Time Machine update but that's more wishful thinking than anything else as a 218 PPI 5120x2880 resolution display seems so cost and production prohibitive for 2013, but so did the 264 PPI 2048x1536 resolution display in the iPad (3).

post #36 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What time frame do you think is possible? I'm hoping next year with what I think will be a Mac Pro update (in some way) and AirPort router/Time Machine update but that's more wishful thinking than anything else as a 218 PPI 5120x2880 resolution display seems so cost and production prohibitive for 2013, but so did the 264 PPI 2048x1536 resolution display in the iPad (3).

I think it's possible now, but not realistic to expect it until the process matures a bit more. I don't expect next year, but it would be nice if it was offered then.
post #37 of 73

I bought an iPad Mini for my 47-year-old daughter... she already has an iPad 2.

She absolutely loves it... the biggest thing is that it fits in her purse.   She is an avid reader (50-60 books a year) and carries her iPad everywhere -- and spends any idle minute reading (when you are schlepping 3 teenagers around, you have lots of idle minutes).

She went to Target and BestBuy to find a case for it... When she held it up and asked: "do you have a case for this?" -- they just glowered at her... Ha!

I played with the mini for a few minutes -- looks and feels quite nice... and runs as you'd expect it to!

Great product!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

OT: I would like Apple's packaging to get smaller.

How so?...  There is no wasted space in the iPad Mini box, unless they can redesign the power adapter to be flatter -- the height and width of the box is slightly larger than the iPad.  The depth of the box is slightly more than the thickness of the iPad and te power adapter.

post #39 of 73

I honestly think this could be the nicest looking product Apple has ever made. Once you get used to it, the large iPad seems like it has a ridiculosly large bezel. This thing is almost all screen. And the materials and back looks gorgeous. 

post #40 of 73
I spent about 15 minutes with an iPad Mini at the local Apple store last night. I can tell you this is an absolutely brilliant device. For most tasks that the iPad is used, such as light email, web browsing, YouTube, Netflix, iTunes for Movies or audio, and especially ebooks, iPad Mini is a better device than iPad. For those who try to use iPad as a laptop substitute, full-size iPad is probably a better choice. iPad Mini is so light and thin that you can easily hold it in one hand while reading or typing. So, you use it in a different way than you do the full-size iPad. I can see how the adoption of this device by retail sector as well as by healthcare sector will be rapid and enormous. You really have to play with it to understand that this device will open many doors that remained closed to the iPad. Also, iPad mini is a perfect fusion of an ereader and a high-end tablate. I really believe informed consumers on a budget will be choosing iPad Mini over Android tablets or Amazon Kindle Fire. As for the resolution, because of the smaller screen size than full-size iPad , the same resolution as on iPad 2 seems a lot sharper than on iPad 2. I could not discern pixels on the iPad Mini as I can on my iPad 2. So, iPad Mini is not a fail with the current resolution. The cameras on iPad Mini are much better than on iPad 2, so if you do FaceTime or Skype between two iPad Minis, video quality will be better on both ends than it is with iPad 2 or even iPad 3. The back camera is good enough and the size of iPad Mini is small enough that you can use it as a photo or video camera (unlike a full-size ipad). So, those who do not want a smart phone could opt for an iPad Mini and have similar camera handy. All of this in one device for $329 I presents a compelling reason to own an iPad Mini for those on a budget and late into the mobile computing era. I, for one, have ordered a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad Mini for my 2-year-old son because I believe it's an excellent educational tool. iPhone/iPod Touch is too small for that purpose, but a full-size iPad is too bulky for a toddler to handle. iPad Mini seems to be perfect for this as well as for so many other tasks. By the way, it would make an excellent GPS if you get one with cell data and GPS chip in it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad mini unboxing: super slim, very light