or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad mini unboxing: super slim, very light
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad mini unboxing: super slim, very light - Page 2

post #41 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How so?...  There is no wasted space in the iPad Mini box, unless they can redesign the power adapter to be flatter -- the height and width of the box is slightly larger than the iPad.  The depth of the box is slightly more than the thickness of the iPad and te power adapter.

There is lots of wasted space in the box. Most of the box's thickness is because they need room for the PSU's thickness but they don't fill that space with much of anything. I'd like the box to be elongated so the PSU and headphones are at the bottom edge of the box which would allow the box to be much thinner thus allowing for less overall volume being used for packaging. This would negatively affect the aesthetic of the box being the length and width of the product they are selling so I'll be surprised if they go that route.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #42 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I honestly think this could be the nicest looking product Apple has ever made. Once you get used to it, the large iPad seems like it has a ridiculosly large bezel. This thing is almost all screen. And the materials and back looks gorgeous. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

I spent about 15 minutes with an iPad Mini at the local Apple store last night. I can tell you this is an absolutely brilliant device. For most tasks that the iPad is used, such as light email, web browsing, YouTube, Netflix, iTunes for Movies or audio, and especially ebooks, iPad Mini is a better device than iPad. For those who try to use iPad as a laptop substitute, full-size iPad is probably a better choice. iPad Mini is so light and thin that you can easily hold it in one hand while reading or typing. So, you use it in a different way than you do the full-size iPad. I can see how the adoption of this device by retail sector as well as by healthcare sector will be rapid and enormous. You really have to play with it to understand that this device will open many doors that remained closed to the iPad. Also, iPad mini is a perfect fusion of an ereader and a high-end tablate. I really believe informed consumers on a budget will be choosing iPad Mini over Android tablets or Amazon Kindle Fire. As for the resolution, because of the smaller screen size than full-size iPad , the same resolution as on iPad 2 seems a lot sharper than on iPad 2. I could not discern pixels on the iPad Mini as I can on my iPad 2. So, iPad Mini is not a fail with the current resolution. The cameras on iPad Mini are much better than on iPad 2, so if you do FaceTime or Skype between two iPad Minis, video quality will be better on both ends than it is with iPad 2 or even iPad 3. The back camera is good enough and the size of iPad Mini is small enough that you can use it as a photo or video camera (unlike a full-size ipad). So, those who do not want a smart phone could opt for an iPad Mini and have similar camera handy. All of this in one device for $329 I presents a compelling reason to own an iPad Mini for those on a budget and late into the mobile computing era. I, for one, have ordered a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad Mini for my 2-year-old son because I believe it's an excellent educational tool. iPhone/iPod Touch is too small for that purpose, but a full-size iPad is too bulky for a toddler to handle. iPad Mini seems to be perfect for this as well as for so many other tasks. By the way, it would make an excellent GPS if you get one with cell data and GPS chip in it.

I spent about 10 minutes with one today at the Apple Store. It is brilliant in the look and feel. The lack of a Retina display didn't bother me — although it would be nice to have providing it maintains a sensible weigh, thickness and duration of use window — unlike 7" 16:9 tablets which I find to be horrible for reading.

I was surprised how much I liked the Music app on the iPad mini. It's the same as the 9.7" iPad but I have zero songs on mine as I would never use that for remote music, yet on the 7.9" iPad I can see myself using it that way. Putting it into words is odd as I can't quite figure out why the physical difference would change my usage so radically.

I'm still undecided as a buyer as I do mainly use my iPad (3) for technical books, often with diagrams, but I am certainly intrigued, would recommend it to anyone wanting a universally good tablet that they wanted for more than just videos, and can see myself just buying one without a moment's notice (the pitfalls of living next to an Apple Store.


PS: sirozha, Great detail but paragraphs will make your comments easier to read.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #43 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I honestly think this could be the nicest looking product Apple has ever made. Once you get used to it, the large iPad seems like it has a ridiculosly large bezel. This thing is almost all screen. And the materials and back looks gorgeous. 


I kind of agree. For me, it is not so much a case of the bezel on the iPad being large. It's a case of, for many tasks, the iPad Mini seems large enough. You get used to the lower resolution display after a while.  One thing, however, shows that Steve Jobs wasn't wrong. There are certain cases when text enough is awkward because, the same text field (in terms of pixels) the iPad is just a bit small here. Selecting text requires a bit of trial and error. I find myself still not quite adjusted to it. This is perhaps what Jobs meant by needing sandpaper.

 

Having said this, the moment I gripped the Mini in my left hand, I had an instant feeling that this was going to sell at least as well as the iPad. It just fits.


Edited by Harbinger - 11/3/12 at 6:10pm
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


There is lots of wasted space in the box. Most of the box's thickness is because they need room for the PSU's thickness but they don't fill that space with much of anything. I'd like the box to be elongated so the PSU and headphones are at the bottom edge of the box which would allow the box to be much thinner thus allowing for less overall volume being used for packaging. This would negatively affect the aesthetic of the box being the length and width of the product they are selling so I'll be surprised if they go that route.


Wait a second. What do you mean by head phones? The iPad (or MIni) does not come with head phones.

post #45 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

One thing i noticed with mine. it only comes with a 5w charger. Apple should ditch that, 10W or above, all around.

Buy a 10W charger if you need one, and stop whining.
post #46 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Buy a 10W charger if you need one, and stop whining.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

One thing i noticed with mine. it only comes with a 5w charger. Apple should ditch that, 10W or above, all around.

 

I personally don't think it's a big deal. But you can whine all you want; it's a free country. Anyone who tells you to stop must have an empty life that they need to lash out at people to give themselves some meaning.


Edited by Harbinger - 11/3/12 at 6:52pm
post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

If you can whine all you want, it's a free country. Anyone who tells you to stop must have an empty life that they need to lash out at people to give themselves some meaning.

Spoken like someone whose life must surely have a lot of meaning!
post #48 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Spoken like someone whose life must surely have a lot of meaning!


Just feeling sorry for you. That's pretty meaningful.

post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


Just feeling sorry for you. That's pretty meaningful.

Ditto.

 

Sounds like we're good!

post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


Wait a second. What do you mean by head phones? The iPad (or MIni) does not come with head phones.

I mean the Lightning cable as it's the only other wired component I could have possibly meant when I misspoke.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I mean the Lightning cable as it's the only other wired component I could have possibly meant when I misspoke.


Ok. You had me looking back in my box wondering if I had left the earbuds inside!

post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


Ok. You had me looking back in my box wondering if I had left the earbuds inside!

Another OT comment: I''m all for Apple not including a bunch of additional adapters with their products but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect EarPods in with the iPad mini, as well as EarPods with the mic with the iPods that accept voice commands.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


Ok. You had me looking back in my box wondering if I had left the earbuds inside!


Don't feel bad, I went digging as well lol.

post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think Apple's next step for screen is maybe not higher resolution per se, but more colors available to be shown.  I think that's the direction of the next generation screens. It may surface next year or the year after.
i think so too. Once you get to retina quality display your eyes can no longer see the pixels so why bother so why not try to expand the color gammut.
post #55 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

For those who've seen it and want retina - if apple had offered retina screen for $70 more, would that have been an easy decision?
i definitely would've spent the extra bucks for a retina display screen. However on some level i think apps and websites need to be redone for mobile screens and that will solve the whole text issue in mobile browsers. Retina doesnt beat an app or website thats made to handle a particular size for a site. Im reading up on how i can make that happen now.
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfboymn View Post

Non retina = piece of cheap shit

 

Wow.  Have you actually bothered to use it and see?

 

Have been using mine since Friday morning and can't put it down.  It is much easier to hold than the current iPad and much easier to see than the iPhone 5.  The screen is great.  Even watched a movie on it already.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

 

Wow.  Have you actually bothered to use it and see?

 

Have been using mine since Friday morning and can't put it down.  It is much easier to hold than the current iPad and much easier to see than the iPhone 5.  The screen is great.  Even watched a movie on it already.


Mostly agree. But those textboxes are a bit on the small side, don't you think? Maybe they can enlarge them for both iPad and iPad Mini.

post #58 of 73

BTW, vertical scrolling does not work on my ibooks. Is it working for others?

post #59 of 73
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
BTW, vertical scrolling does not work on my ibooks. Is it working for others?

 

When you switch to it, what happens?

 

1000

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is lots of wasted space in the box. Most of the box's thickness is because they need room for the PSU's thickness but they don't fill that space with much of anything. I'd like the box to be elongated so the PSU and headphones are at the bottom edge of the box which would allow the box to be much thinner thus allowing for less overall volume being used for packaging. This would negatively affect the aesthetic of the box being the length and width of the product they are selling so I'll be surprised if they go that route.

Personally I do not like the design of the packaging for iOS devices. The one thing I would change is I would rather have the device deeper into the box because it is too easy for it to slip out upon opening the box since it is sitting completely loose right at the very brim. I know they think it is a better presentation as the device is the first thing you see when opening the package but with my recent experience opening my iPhone 5, the device did slide right out of the box onto the granite countertop in the kitchen just as I was pulling the top off because it was rather snug, hence, I was struggling a bit and the box was not level. Fortunately the phone was undamaged but it could have been had it dropped further than the few inches that it did. I'd rather leave the drop test to the repair sites.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Personally I do not like the design of the packaging for iOS devices. The one thing I would change is I would rather have the device deeper into the box because it is too easy for it to slip out upon opening the box since it is sitting completely loose right at the very brim. I know they think it is a better presentation as the device is the first thing you see when opening the package but with my recent experience opening my iPhone 5, the device did slide right out of the box onto the granite countertop in the kitchen just as I was pulling the top off because it was rather snug, hence, I was struggling a bit and the box was not level. Fortunately the phone was undamaged but it could have been had it dropped further than the few inches that it did. I'd rather leave the drop test to the repair sites.

Agree wholeheartedly. An exactly similar thing happened to me with my iPhone 5.
1hmm.gif
post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

I spent about 15 minutes with an iPad Mini at the local Apple store last night. I can tell you this is an absolutely brilliant device. For most tasks that the iPad is used, such as light email, web browsing, YouTube, Netflix, iTunes for Movies or audio, and especially ebooks, iPad Mini is a better device than iPad. For those who try to use iPad as a laptop substitute, full-size iPad is probably a better choice. iPad Mini is so light and thin that you can easily hold it in one hand while reading or typing. So, you use it in a different way than you do the full-size iPad. I can see how the adoption of this device by retail sector as well as by healthcare sector will be rapid and enormous. You really have to play with it to understand that this device will open many doors that remained closed to the iPad. Also, iPad mini is a perfect fusion of an ereader and a high-end tablate. I really believe informed consumers on a budget will be choosing iPad Mini over Android tablets or Amazon Kindle Fire. As for the resolution, because of the smaller screen size than full-size iPad , the same resolution as on iPad 2 seems a lot sharper than on iPad 2. I could not discern pixels on the iPad Mini as I can on my iPad 2. So, iPad Mini is not a fail with the current resolution. The cameras on iPad Mini are much better than on iPad 2, so if you do FaceTime or Skype between two iPad Minis, video quality will be better on both ends than it is with iPad 2 or even iPad 3. The back camera is good enough and the size of iPad Mini is small enough that you can use it as a photo or video camera (unlike a full-size ipad). So, those who do not want a smart phone could opt for an iPad Mini and have similar camera handy. All of this in one device for $329 I presents a compelling reason to own an iPad Mini for those on a budget and late into the mobile computing era. I, for one, have ordered a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad Mini for my 2-year-old son because I believe it's an excellent educational tool. iPhone/iPod Touch is too small for that purpose, but a full-size iPad is too bulky for a toddler to handle. iPad Mini seems to be perfect for this as well as for so many other tasks. By the way, it would make an excellent GPS if you get one with cell data and GPS chip in it.

Great little analysis there. I played around with one at our university bookstore and I immediately fell in love with it. Like you said, the screen is better than iPad 2, wish it had retina. Will probably hold out until next fall for the retina, if mobile refreshes now all occur in the pre-Christmas season.

post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan King View Post

How does the fonts look like? More like iPad 1/2 or closer to retina?

 

I know it's not much help, but it's somewhere in between. Kind of like getting the high-res version of the MacBook Pro, but not the Retina version. It does not exactly "pop" or look like a glowing printed image like an iPad 3 - but the obvious jaggies of the iPad 2 are not found either. 

Personally, I will hold out for the Retina, since the UI elements and text are actually smaller than on the full-sized iPad. The form factor is perfect though - amazingly light and thin, great in hand. Much less conspicuous than the iPad 3, and much more feasible for bedside reading, web browsing on the train, etc.

post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Great little analysis there. I played around with one at our university bookstore and I immediately fell in love with it. Like you said, the screen is better than iPad 2, wish it had retina. Will probably hold out until next fall for the retina, if mobile refreshes now all occur in the pre-Christmas season.

I hope Retina comes next year but based on the stated lowered profit margin (which is likely from this device) and it starting off with the iPad 2's ASIC, not the iPad (3)'s, I have to think that Retina won't come until 2014 because that will be when Rogue 6 is a year old, like the iPad mini's ASIC, and that's the only way they can possibly get a Retina display in that system while even trying to keep the same battery life, thickness and weight within a certain window.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

i think so too. Once you get to retina quality display your eyes can no longer see the pixels so why bother so why not try to expand the color gammut.

I'm not an expert in this field, but it's my understanding that the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 have this pretty much wrapped up. Most analyses I've read (and my personal experience) say that it offers an extremely accurate picture, with the full color gamut. They've also reduced reflectivity and improved outdoor viewing. 

post #66 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

When you switch to it, what happens?

 

1000


I'll just assume you're kidding.

post #67 of 73
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
I'll just assume you're kidding.

 

Eh? I'm just showing you where the switch is. What happens when you select "Scroll"?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope Retina comes next year but based on the stated lowered profit margin (which is likely from this device) and it starting off with the iPad 2's ASIC, not the iPad (3)'s, I have to think that Retina won't come until 2014 because that will be when Rogue 6 is a year old, like the iPad mini's ASIC, and that's the only way they can possibly get a Retina display in that system while even trying to keep the same battery life, thickness and weight within a certain window.

iPad Mini could go Retina + IGZO next April, starting at 399$. The iPad 2 is 'place-holding' that particular price point for an enhanced Mini right now. A Mini somewhat 'Retina-heavy', but within striking distance of the 'around-the-clock' autonomy threshold.

Next April, battery life could very well 'spring' forth as the killer spec...

iPad Mini IGZO starting at 329$;

iPad Mini IGZO Retina starting at 399$;

iPad IGZO Retina starting at 499$.
post #69 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

iPad Mini could go Retina + IGZO next April, starting at 399$. The iPad 2 is 'place-holding' that particular price point for an enhanced Mini right now. A Mini somewhat 'Retina-heavy', but within striking distance of the 'around-the-clock' autonomy threshold.
Next April, battery life could very well 'spring' forth as the killer spec...
iPad Mini IGZO starting at 329$;
iPad Mini IGZO Retina starting at 399$;
iPad IGZO Retina starting at 499$.

I'm not sure where IGZO replaces the GPU in the device or why you'd expect it to be more expensive when Apple hasn't made the iPod Touch, iPhone, or 10" iPad more expensive when going Retina.

I see no reason $329 won't be the maximum price for the entry level product and for Retina to come before Rgoue 6 is available.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #70 of 73
It's time for this sort of consumer erotica to come out of the closet, and openly embrace the slavering adjectives which shame-facedly lurk just below the surface.

Seriously%u2026 Given the complete ethical bankruptcy which accepts this sort of thing as productive, why write it with so little courage? WHat do you have to lose? Where are the heaving bosoms, the throbbing members, the moist congress with unholy desire that we all know perfectly well will end, if not in tears, then in a landfill? (And that, if statistics are to be believed, in less than six months' time.)

As Anne Rice once said regarding the SM erotica she wrote under a pseudonym, "There's a great deal of spanking and whatnot. It's really quite tedious if you're not aroused by it." But she at least gave it her all.

What a tepid pornographer you are. Do you actually believe you're writing about information technology?
post #71 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

It sounds like a screen compatible to iPhone 3G & S, yet they should have it at 1080p, nothing higher like 1400 on current iPads. Making it close to full size making it retina. Also something that makes sence.

 

This tablet only exists (for the moment) because it retains the resolution of the original iPad meaning existing apps work out of the box. It is literally the iPhone 3GS displays cut to a larger size.

 

1080p, while a neat marketing point, would have meant an entirely different resolution for developers to account for. Legacy apps would be letter boxed as opposed to the elegant lossless 2x scaling of a retina display iPhone and iPad which means legacy apps look no worse and updated apps look amazing.

post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

This tablet only exists (for the moment) because it retains the resolution of the original iPad meaning existing apps work out of the box. It is literally the iPhone 3GS displays cut to a larger size.

1080p, while a neat marketing point, would have meant an entirely different resolution for developers to account for. Legacy apps would be letter boxed as opposed to the elegant lossless 2x scaling of a retina display iPhone and iPad which means legacy apps look no worse and updated apps look amazing.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point but I have a quibble with the "literally" part. It's literally the 3GS display's PPI but it's IPS, not TN like the 3GS.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #73 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh? I'm just showing you where the switch is. What happens when you select "Scroll"?

I wonder if gratitude will be expressed..... 1wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad mini unboxing: super slim, very light