or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad - Page 4

post #121 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And what other new iPhone was launched at the same time? None!
They have updated MBAs at the same time in the past. Since they have different display sizes find me where Apple broken down sales of 11" and 13" MBAs.

Ah, so you don't consider the iPad Mini to be a new product launch, really no different in a marketing sense from the full-size tablet. That might explain your odd (in my opinion) stance, tho I'd note that hasn't been your opinion up until today has it?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #122 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So what if he did. The man is dead. What he said or did or did not no longer really matters if Tim Cook disagrees and Sir J is willing to back him up.

I agree but some here are hell bent on denying that he did. It's evident that many at Apple didn't agree with him.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #123 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you want to claim you didn't expect to see Apple announce launch sales for the Mini I think you're not being honest IMO. 

I expected to see launch sales of the iPad mini by themselves but that's because I completely forgot about the iPad (4) was also released this weekend in a most unusual fashion for Apple. Why discount this odd product release as being the reason for the odd announcement? Where are the weekend breakdowns for the 11" and 13" MBA sales that are updated at the same time? Why think the iPad (4) sold over 2 million while the iPad mini sold less than a million? Note the iPad (3) only sold 1.5 million opening weekend so to claim the iPad mini flopped due to no inventory means that you think the iPad (4) admits so many newly updated Apple products outsold the iPad (3) from earlier this year.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #124 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

They're the world's biggest tech company, so course they have a lot of irons in the fire.

 

And I don't see anything odd about anything you've mentioned. Do you think that the iPad Mini was something they just threw together at the last minute? This thing has been in development for at least as long as the iPhone5

 

And the new management line up makes a lot more sense to me.

I think they are completely out of sync. For example they have six notebooks now and the new management shake up did not look well planned to say the least. All I see is chaos. As stylish as the new iMacs are, they seem impracticably thin so much so that they had to put the SD card reader on the back. They have totally left the Mac Pro out to pasture and screwed up the Maps app. They also abandoned a large portion of their users when ML would not boot with 32 bit kernel. Yep, sounds like a smooth running machine alright. I'm not criticizing anyone, it just seems to me that everything is sort of falling apart, like iOS 6 needing a new updater app because it couldn't update over the air. Everything is just a patchwork of temporary fixes and placeholders. I'm still upgrading to all the new products except the iPad 4 since I recently purchased the new iPad. I already have the iPhone 5 and the Retina MBP. I've been ready for a new Mac Pro for awhile and also over due for another iMac. Even with all the confusion, they still make the best stuff in my opinion.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #125 of 234

I don't need to be a genius or highly-paid analyst to predict that a certain percentage of the 100 million existing IPAD owners will buy IPAD mini.

 

Pessimistic outlook: 10 to 15% of 100 million will buy IPAD Mini for themselves or their family members

Best outlook: 30% of 100 million will buy IPAD mini in the next few months

 

There you go,  even without selling to non-IPAD user or first-timer, IPAD mini will easily sell 10 million or more in the next 3 months.

post #126 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I agree but some here are hell bent on denying that he did. It's evident that many at Apple didn't agree with him.


... and some people on here are hell bent on putting words in SJ's mouth that he never said.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #127 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I agree but some here are hell bent on denying that he did. It's evident that many at Apple didn't agree with him.

What you quoted is not what he said. You truncated his comment and then got partially pedantic about a portion of his comment to make your point. That's being dishonest. If you want to go that route you could argue that the 9.7" iPad can't have great tablet apps because it's below the minimum of 10". You should write to Ballmer so he can use that against Apple to sell the Surface.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #128 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

...like iOS 6 needing a new updater app because it couldn't update over the air....

What's up with that? That was so kludgy.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #129 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


... and some people on here are hell bent on putting words in SJ's mouth that he never said.

I wrote the quote out verbatim, so where did I put words into anyone's mouth?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #130 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I wrote the quote out verbatim, so where did I put words into anyone's mouth?

 

Well, here for a start:

 

"Did SJ not say that 10" is the minimum size for tablet apps?"

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #131 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post Why think the iPad (4) sold over 2 million while the iPad mini sold less than a million? 

You already know the obvious and publicized reasons why someone might think that.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #132 of 234
To Dr. Blank,
Some Apple fans will often write Apple is doomed in response to positive stories as sarcastic mimicry of how many press folks will always read things negatively. Examples, include silly press headlines about how iPad mini might not be doing well because lines were less than for the iPhone 5.
post #133 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suppose if you want to make something up rather than read and comment on what I actually wrote beginning with my very first post in this thread. Of course you'd have less to try and discredit my opinion with then, so I can understand why you might "feel the need" to misdirect.
translation: when google and Amazon say they are selling like hot cakes you believe it. When Apple says it is almost selling lot of a product you don't like, it must not be true.

 

This is why GG is on my block list... but people keep quoting him.

 

GG is like one of those religious fanatics that go door to door...  He has a question, answer or argument for any topic -- but no real enlightenment to offer.

 

He is intelligent, but his posts contribute nothing to the topic at hand... he is here to challenge and engage -- then change the subject.

 

Now, he is trying to hijack the thread to argue about his argument...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #134 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What you quoted is not what he said. You truncated his comment and then got partially pedantic about a portion of his comment to make your point. That's being dishonest. If you want to go that route you could argue that the 9.7" iPad can't have great tablet apps because it's below the minimum of 10". You should write to Ballmer so he can use that against Apple to sell the Surface.

OK then enlighten me, what did he say? And what do you think he meant by it?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #135 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


OK then enlighten me, what did he say? And what do you think he meant by it?

 

Already covered by others.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #136 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Liar liar pants on fire. If you are going to make a claim that it's an exact quote at least include the exact sentence not one you truncated.
"This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."
So he thought that they couldn't go less than 10" (note that the iPad started off less than 10") and they found a way to make the device feasible without hurting the user experience much or at all. People can't have an opinion based on current info and then change their mid when new info is presented?
Scenario:
"Steve, we ran the numbers, if we use the 163 PPI displays in the iPhone and keep the 1024x768 display we can have a reasonably good 7.85" tablet. It's not great like he full-sized iPad in usability as the elements are smaller, but they are about halfway between the iPhone and iPad elements and the new size and weight will come with their own benefits making it a very good tablet for its size, especially when compared to those 7" 16:9 tablets."
"Let's develop this but hold off until we can saturate the current tablet market or we start to see cheaper tablets rise up to a point where good tablet apps are better than nothing in that small tablet market."
Let's recap what else he stated...
"If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion."
That's for a 7" 16:9 tablet whilst the iPad mini is an 8" 4:3 tablet. That means it has a display area about 40% larger than the tablets he was comparing to. Did Apple make a 7" 16:9 tablet? Do you think Apple will make a 7" 16:9 tablet? If they do you can say Jobs was wrong.
Then he went on to say...
"These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA, dead on arrival"
Which one of the 7" tablets shipping at the time were successful? If you said anything other than none of them you're wrong.

The important part of Steve's statement has been highlighted above.

post #137 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, here for a start:

"Did SJ not say that 10" is the minimum size for tablet apps?"

Not in those exact words.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #138 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The important part of Steve's statement has been highlighted above.

They obviously aren't or we wouldn't have a iPad mini.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #139 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

This is why GG is on my block list... but people keep quoting him.

 

GG is like one of those religious fanatics that go door to door...  He has a question, answer or argument for any topic -- but no real enlightenment to offer.

 

He is intelligent, but his posts contribute nothing to the topic at hand... he is here to challenge and engage -- then change the subject.

 

Now, he is trying to hijack the thread to argue about his argument...

If I'm on your block list Dick, then how would you know that I never have any "real enlightenment" to offer?1wink.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #140 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Already covered by others.

Yeah me.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #141 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

theyve said they wouldnt do a lot of things theyve done. That doesnt matter. That stuff is what you call marketing. I wanted a 7 inch tablet even before steve jobs made that comment and I knew apple was going to release one. They were just trying to throw competitors off the trail and protect their current product.

 

 

More importantly Apple didn't release a 7 inch tablet. They released a 7.9 inch tablet. 7.9 is a whole lot closer to 8 inches. 

post #142 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

 

 

Exactly. Apple might sometimes announce weekend sales of a new product to create excitement, but it doesn't break down sales of products within a category. If a competitor knew how much of an individual product Apple was selling, it could put resources into attacking that product essentially allowing Apple to do research for it. 

 

I was in the Apple Store twice this weekend, and based on what I saw most of those sales are the new Mini with the new iPad 4 getting some sales. The iPad 4 weighs a ton compared to the Mini. I think for many people that will factor heavily into their purchasing decisions. 


Yes, I checked out the mini at the Apple Store and immediately loved it. Better than the original iPad? Since it is small and you can pretty much anything on it that you can on the regular iPad. And then lift up the regular iPad. It weighs a ton compared to the mini.


If I didn't have my iPhone and MBP, I'd probably get one. The cellular version.

post #143 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They obviously aren't or we wouldn't have a iPad mini.

1) Note that Jobs didn't say "current crop" today. He said it awhile ago — when he was still alive — when making quotes was still possible. Of the then current crop of 7" tablets which have been a success.

2) New rule: If you insist on calling a 7.9" tablet a 7" tablet then you have to all the 9.7" tablet a 9" tablet which also invalidates your claims.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #144 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Not in those exact words.


My point exactly.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #145 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


If you're going to claim that they lied about 34 countries for the release weekend you'll have to back that up. But why would they do that? If they had so little stock or knew the demand for the US, or US and UK was enough to sell all the units they had then why would they add 32 to 33 more countries? It makes no sense.

 

They wouldn't have to technically "lie" for what I said to be true.  They simply said that preorders were going to be available in those 34 countries.  They were.  

 

It could also simply be a result of how they have their ordering system set up.  A glitch, as it were, wherein all the US preorders got to the post faster.  

 

In my 34 plus years dealing with Apple (buying, reselling, evangelizing, co-developing, observing), they never have played games like that.  Apple is a tough supplier and a tough competitor -- but they are fair and ethical!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #146 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The fact that they (seemingly) purposefully haven't done this, is in fact unusual.  

Apple is clearly in some sort of panic mode. Some of their decisions lately seem a bit odd? First they call the iPad 3 the "new" iPad then they go back to numbering it iPad 4 but release it way too soon, all because it is the holiday season and Microsoft and Google are launching new tablets. Then in the midst of this crisis they fire their top iOS guy. Then they early release the iPad mini before they have enough made and no cellular option ready. Meanwhile they have dozens of lawsuits going on around the globe and to top it off, a falling out with their primary supplier. They have a lot of irons in the fire. 

 

Just business as usual in the high-tech marketplace.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #147 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is why GG is on my block list... but people keep quoting him.

GG is like one of those religious fanatics that go door to door...  He has a question, answer or argument for any topic -- but no real enlightenment to offer.

He is intelligent, but his posts contribute nothing to the topic at hand... he is here to challenge and engage -- then change the subject.

Now, he is trying to hijack the thread to argue about his argument...

I'll keep responding to GG I often don't agree with him (especially in this thread) but his replies are throughout and intriguing (even of egregiously wrong 1biggrin.gif).

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #148 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Liar liar pants on fire. If you are going to make a claim that it's an exact quote at least include the exact sentence not one you truncated.
"This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."
So he thought that they couldn't go less than 10" (note that the iPad started off less than 10") and they found a way to make the device feasible without hurting the user experience much or at all. People can't have an opinion based on current info and then change their mid when new info is presented?
Scenario:
"Steve, we ran the numbers, if we use the 163 PPI displays in the iPhone and keep the 1024x768 display we can have a reasonably good 7.85" tablet. It's not great like he full-sized iPad in usability as the elements are smaller, but they are about halfway between the iPhone and iPad elements and the new size and weight will come with their own benefits making it a very good tablet for its size, especially when compared to those 7" 16:9 tablets."
"Let's develop this but hold off until we can saturate the current tablet market or we start to see cheaper tablets rise up to a point where good tablet apps are better than nothing in that small tablet market."
Let's recap what else he stated...
"If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion."
That's for a 7" 16:9 tablet whilst the iPad mini is an 8" 4:3 tablet. That means it has a display area about 40% larger than the tablets he was comparing to. Did Apple make a 7" 16:9 tablet? Do you think Apple will make a 7" 16:9 tablet? If they do you can say Jobs was wrong.
Then he went on to say...
"These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA, dead on arrival"
Which one of the 7" tablets shipping at the time were successful? If you said anything other than none of them you're wrong.

So it's okay for you to make stuff up out of thin air to prove your point? And yes people are allowed to change their minds, it is also within my right to point out hypocrisy when I see it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #149 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-t View Post

They are more creative than Van Gogh and Picasso together, they'll find something 1biggrin.gif

More creative, hell no

More full of shit, hell yeah

 

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears... er, ah... not you Van Gogh!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #150 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

More importantly Apple didn't release a 7 inch tablet. They released a 7.9 inch tablet. 7.9 is a whole lot closer to 8 inches. 

 

But even if Apple had, they would have done it 'right', is the implication. It's not about the size - its about delivering a package that 'works' according to a given criteria. So the whole argument is silly. If Apple had brought out a 7" tablet they would have ensured that it worked. They decided on a 7.9" tablet and clearly it works. I'm sure this will become the new 'default iPad'. If it works as well as its larger sibling for most people, then size definitely matters. And weight. 

post #151 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


So it's okay for you to make stuff up out of thin air to prove your point?


You must consider this a good thing...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #152 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


What's up with that? That was so kludgy.

 

I blame Scott Forstall.

 

 

In other news, Apple has now clarified the numbers. The 3 million represents only the Mini and iPad '4' and does not include sales of the iPad 2, old stock of the iPad '3' or refurbished models.

 

Apple pulled the same trick last time. Release launch weekend numbers, let the idiots have a few hours to try and spin them (last time people said the iPad 2 was included in their iPad 3 launch numbers) and then clarify the results. Apple just trolled everyone AGAIN.


Edited by EricTheHalfBee - 11/5/12 at 9:32am

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #153 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The nerds they be a ragin' everywhere this morning. They just can't stand when Apple has a successful launch.

 

I think Apple is in for a monster holiday quarter. iPhone 5, Mini and iPad '4'. Not to mention new Macbooks and iMacs. The only thing that could limit their sales is how fast they can produce devices.

 

Best post on this thread, IMO!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #154 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


You must consider this a good thing...

Lol I personally do it all the time.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #155 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The fact that they (seemingly) purposefully haven't done this, is in fact unusual.  

Apple is clearly in some sort of panic mode. Some of their decisions lately seem a bit odd? First they call the iPad 3 the "new" iPad then they go back to numbering it iPad 4 but release it way too soon, all because it is the holiday season and Microsoft and Google are launching new tablets. Then in the midst of this crisis they fire their top iOS guy. Then they early release the iPad mini before they have enough made and no cellular option ready. Meanwhile they have dozens of lawsuits going on around the globe and to top it off, a falling out with their primary supplier. They have a lot of irons in the fire. 

Actually, Apple has not gone back to numbering the iPads, AFAIK. They introduced it as the 4th gen iPad but are calling it iPad with Retina Display, which is consistent with their nomenclature for iPad "3", I believe.

post #156 of 234
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post
Actually, Apple has not gone back to numbering the iPads, AFAIK. They introduced it as the 4th gen iPad but are calling it iPad with Retina Display, which is consistent with their nomenclature for iPad "3", I believe.

 

I really don't think there's any official word on that, but what you've said is in line with what I believe about it, at least. 

 

I made up a chart; I forget what thread that was in… 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #157 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So it's okay for you to make stuff up out of thin air to prove your point? And yes people are allowed to change their minds, it is also within my right to point out hypocrisy when I see it.

What which comments I said Steve made did I make up? The only claimed quotes that are being claimed from Steve that are false have been from you and you comments that 7.9" equals 7", that "current crop" means all tablets around today, and that the iPad mini is great tablet UI when compared to the full size iPad.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #158 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Actually, Apple has not gone back to numbering the iPads, AFAIK. They introduced it as the 4th gen iPad but are calling it iPad with Retina Display, which is consistent with their nomenclature for iPad "3", I believe.

Until of course the mini gets a Retina screen too.

 

there is this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5452?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #159 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I blame Scott Forstall.


In other news, Apple has now clarified the numbers. The 3 million represents only the Mini and iPad '4' and does not include sales of the iPad 2, old stock of the iPad '3' or refurbished models.

Apple pulled the same trick last time. Release launch weekend numbers, let the idiots have a few hours to try and spin them (last time people said the iPad 2 was included in their iPad 3 launch numbers) and then clarify the results. Apple just trolled everyone AGAIN.

I thought that was clear from the get go that it included only new iPad models, not anything that had been on the market already. The spin people are trying to make here is that the iPad mini sales must have sucked because they included all new iPad models instead of breaking them out per type like they do with different sized MBAs!

The article makes a comment about jack ass's claim of 950k units for sale for an unprecedented 34 countries which is 3.4x more countries at launch and with at least a 2 month ramp up in production.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #160 of 234

amazing how most pundits miss what should be obvious - the mini is going to become Apple's top selling iPad, and reinforce its overall tablet leadership.

the pundits carp about the screen. even tho it's actually a very good screen, better than the iPad 2, which is still very adequate (i have one). because it's not the latest and greatest retina quality.

but consumers care much more about convenience, "just works," and price. plus keeping all the apps and iTunes stuff they already have, if they are one of the 100+ million who have already bought an iPad before.

consumers will see the mini as almost as good as the 10" iPad in terms of what it can do, in a much more convenient size, at a price 34% less than the full-size iPad. that's a great package already.

they will buy a ton of them for holiday gifts. no one will feel bad when they unwrap that present!

what Apple did was deliver a V.1 mini that was ready to go now at a price level it intends to maintain for every new mini model in the future, using mostly iPad 2 internals in a new shell to avoid delay. it will sell everyone of those Foxconn can make the rest of this year anyway, so there is no good market reason to charge less.

then pretty early next year - March? - Apple will introduce the V.2 mini with a 326 dpi retina display and A6 chip when screen makers and Foxconn are ready for its volume production. its $330 price will be the same, and this V.1 mini's price will drop to, for example, $250. this price segmentation by model generation is what Apple has done with the iPad, iPod touch, and the iPhone, so it should be obvious that's what it plans for the mini too.

that V.2 mini will be the real "killer" product - pretty close to perfect for a lot of people - and become not only the #1 iPad, but the #1 tablet, period.

(yes, i'm waiting for that one.)

 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad