or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Again, if they are hiding anything it's the iPad (4) sales. Everything... and i mean everything... points to the iPad mini being a huge success.
 

I'm guessing 2 million minis and 1 million iPad 4. Also I think the iPad 4 were is short supply as well as the minis. One poster here over the weekend said there were no iPad 4 on display at his Apple Store. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #42 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nothing negative about 3M  iPads sold in a single weekend. If you were referring to what I posted it was only to note that Apple declining to be specific with iPad Mini sales figures is likely an indication they're weren't many available for sale in my opinion, not that there wasn't any demand for them. 

 

I would go with the theory of Apple not providing the competition with valuable inside info. My guess is the mini sold 2M with 1M of the new iPad 4, simply based on price points.

 

Tim is still the master of supply chain logistics. Double the sales/shipments (therefore production) in 6 months with a completely new product thrown in...without even counting the totally redesigned iP5 ramp!

 

No other company on earth could have pulled all this off in these volumes...including Samscum!

 

Great Job!

post #43 of 234
Considering they only had 950k going to stores....thats a pretty safe bet. Maybe read the article?...
post #44 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Neither are a focus. They're both a joke. I don't see too many Amazon trolls here, so it's more fun to bash the Nexus.

 

Apple will have a killer Christmas, and all others will be left in the dust.

 

The Mini is the first reactionary product I've seen from Apple. You may think they're all a joke, and I agree they're not up to same standard, but if that were true Apple wouldn't have released it in the first place. As has been discussed here, it's been killed internally at Apple a few times in the past. Apple's hedging against what they view as potential competition before it turns serious. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #45 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And because all the attention is on the iPad mini as anecdotal sales and interest that device indicate it's not smart to ignore your new product hence the iPad and iPad mini weekend sales. Absolutely none of it points to the iPad mini being a flop that needs covering up. I know several people that bought the iPad mini and many interested in it. No one I know has even mentioned selling their 10" iPad for the iPad (4).

Who's saying it was a flop?? (answer: No one)

 

Making that claim would imply no one really wanted them instead of there weren't many available to buy. Don't inject strawmen as it makes it difficult to have a reasoned discussion.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #46 of 234
Perspective: MS sold 4 million copies of Window 8 at $40 in 3 days which has no limit on how many people can buy the software and hadn't had a major revision in 3 years, whereas Apple sold 3 million units of a limited and sold out HW product ranging from $329 to $529 that is being sold right in the middle of pretty much every one of their HW products being updated.

Yes, yes, I know these aren't directly comparable but historically SW is much easier to sell than HW in higher volumes, just as digital copies are much easier than physical copies, and significantly lower prices are much easier to attract buyers than higher prices. It wasn't too long ago that such a thing would have been unheard of between Apple and MS.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #47 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Who's saying it was a flop?? (answer: No one)

Making that claim would imply no one really wanted them instead of there weren't many available to buy. Don't inject strawmen as it makes it difficult to have a reasoned discussion.

That seems to be your implication as to why Apple didn't give an exact number of iPad mini unit sales that exclude the iPad (4) unit sales.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #48 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

 

The Mini is the first reactionary product I've seen from Apple. You may think they're all a joke, and I agree they're not up to same standard, but if that were true Apple wouldn't have released it in the first place. As has been discussed here, it's been killed internally at Apple a few times in the past. Apple's hedging against what they view as potential competition before it turns serious. 

Mmmm. Dunno.

 

If it were a reactionary product it would be half the price and made of plastic. Remember the pundits who were predicting a starting price of $199?

 

This is a high end product built and priced accordingly. It's the same Apple strategy we've been seeing for years: watch the competition, note their mistakes, build something profitable and better. That's not reactionary; that's strategy.

 

Oh, and lots of products get killed internally, or revised until they're good enough to be released.


Edited by Rayz - 11/5/12 at 7:16am
post #49 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That seems to be your implication as to why Apple didn't give an exact number of iPad mini unit sales that exclude the iPad (4) unit sales.

I suppose if you want to make something up rather than read and comment on what I actually wrote beginning with my very first post in this thread. Of course you'd have less to try and discredit my opinion with then, so I can understand why you might "feel the need" to misdirect.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #50 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suppose if you want to make something up rather than read what I actually wrote beginning with my very first post in this thread. 

"IMHO Apple declining to state weekend sales for the Mini is probably an indication there just weren't very many to sell (rather than no one wanted them). Not Apple-like to avoid announcing product launch figures if they're good. My completely uneducated guess is that fewer than 1M Mini's went home with new owners."

I stand by what I wrote. Regardless of whether you think it's because of lack of buyer interest rather than poor production assuming less than 1 million units is saying it's a flop. Let's remember it's been at least 2 months since we've seen iPad mini leaks that turned out to be legit. That tells me they started ramping up production back then so less than 1 million units produces is tantamount to saying Tim Cook fucked up in the one area that he absolutely no equal.

That is also suggesting they sold 2 million iPad (4)s and yet the iPad mini was so prominent in my store. Let's also remember that it was released in a record breaking 34 countries on the same day. If the number of units were so low you'd think they would have scaled it back to just a few countries like most releases. As it stands that is less than 28k iPad minis per country.

It's a new product with a new level or portability and lowered cost. Even if it's a flop it will still appeal to many early adopters. The iPad (4) not so much. Even Windows Vista had awesome sales out of the gate.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #51 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The Mini is the first reactionary product I've seen from Apple. You may think they're all a joke, and I agree they're not up to same standard, but if that were true Apple wouldn't have released it in the first place. As has been discussed here, it's been killed internally at Apple a few times in the past. Apple's hedging against what they view as potential competition before it turns serious. 
These statements your are making are not true. The iPod nano and shuffle are reactionary products.
post #52 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Based on what evidence? When I was at the Apple Store over the weekend, the place was packed and its like this every week end and during the week, they range from spurts of quiet times, shrouded by crowds.
No matter what, apple is selling product.
I just got my iPad 4 and love it. I can't wait for the next generation of apps to take advantage of the smoking fast processor.

I would say he was being sarcastic.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #53 of 234
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
The iPod nano and shuffle are reactionary products.

 

To what?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #54 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm trying to imagine how analysts can put a negative spin on this.

 

Easy.  

 

- Apple didn't break out sales of which unit sold how many

- therefore iPad mini sold more units than iPad 4

- therefore iPad isn't popular anymore

- So ... panic!!!

post #55 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suppose if you want to make something up rather than read and comment on what I actually wrote beginning with my very first post in this thread. Of course you'd have less to try and discredit my opinion with then, so I can understand why you might "feel the need" to misdirect.
translation: when google and Amazon say they are selling like hot cakes you believe it. When Apple says it is almost selling lot of a product you don't like, it must not be true.
post #56 of 234

This is surprising, i have one IPad 4 in those 3M count. :)

post #57 of 234

I wonder how many people bought an iPad v3 over the weekend from uninformed sales people.
 

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #58 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To what?
the plethora of miniature mp3 players that came out before these did...from companies like sony.
post #59 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

These statements your are making are not true. The iPod nano and shuffle are reactionary products.

But Apple never said that they wouldn't make a music player that small.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #60 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wonder how many people bought an iPad v3 over the weekend from uninformed sales people.
 

 

If somebody's tight on money, the iPad 3's that Apple were selling for $379 is a good buy, IMO.

post #61 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


But Apple never said that they wouldn't make a music player that small.

 

I don't recall Apple saying they wouldn't make an iPad mini.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #62 of 234

I ordered 2 Minis for my kids as Christmas presents. I took the family to the Apple Store (we have a fairly large one here) and the store was packed. You couldn't get near the iPad Mini tables to play with one as there was a line-up to try them. My kids went straight the the "regular" iPad tables and stayed there for 10 minutes playing without a complaint from anyone waiting to see one.

 

This was on Saturday, late afternoon. Out of curiosity I asked about Minis and they said they were completely sold out on Friday. I asked about the iPad 4 and they still had stock, though a couple specific models were out. I picked up a new iPad '4' while I was there.

 

At my local community "forum" (20,000 members) a lot of people bought Minis and I was the first to post I bought an iPad '4'.

 

This is just my experience, but I think it's ridiculous to imply that Apple didn't sell a ton of Minis compared to the iPad 2 or '4'.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #63 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

If somebody's tight on money, the iPad 3's that Apple were selling for $379 is a good buy, IMO.

 

A good buy, yes, but if you went home with what you thought was the latest and greatest only to find out that a new product was introduced...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #64 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Who's saying it was a flop?? (answer: No one)

 

Making that claim would imply no one really wanted them instead of there weren't many available to buy. Don't inject strawmen as it makes it difficult to have a reasoned discussion.

"... fewer than 1M went home to consumers" or something close to that.

 

That would be considered a flop.  So at least you are saying "flop".

 

My guess is the numbers are closer to 2M for iPad mini and 1M for 4th gen iPad.  Based on the shere number of people playing with them at the Apple stores compared to the 4th gen, the interest was very high and if Apple can ramp up to 5 million iPhone 5's for opening weekend.....  Yea....

post #65 of 234

This is true, selling high priced Hardware in competitive market is much bigger achievement than selling S/W upgrade in the market where there is no competition.
 

post #66 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

the plethora of miniature mp3 players that came out before these did...from companies like sony.

 

Again, you're mistaking 'reactionary' with 'letting the competition make the mistakes.'

post #67 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

A good buy, yes, but if you went home with what you thought was the latest and greatest only to find out that a new product was introduced...

Oh, you mean like if somebody walked into a best buy and they got sold an iPad 3 for the same price as the iPad 4, believing it was the newest? Yeah, I can agree with that.

post #68 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But Apple never said that they wouldn't make a music player that small.
theyve said they wouldnt do a lot of things theyve done. That doesnt matter. That stuff is what you call marketing. I wanted a 7 inch tablet even before steve jobs made that comment and I knew apple was going to release one. They were just trying to throw competitors off the trail and protect their current product.
post #69 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

translation: when google and Amazon say they are selling like hot cakes you believe it. When Apple says it is almost selling lot of a product you don't like, it must not be true.

There's absolutely no reason NOT to believe Apple when they say they sold 3M iPads. You're trying to put a strawman in play too.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #70 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Again, you're mistaking 'reactionary' with 'letting the competition make the mistakes.'
i agree. But I was pointing out other instances where apple was responding to what the market wanted vs telling the market what it wanted.
post #71 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't recall Apple saying they wouldn't make an iPad mini.

Did SJ not say that 10" is the minimum size for tablet apps?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #72 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's absolutely no reason NOT to believe Apple when they say they sold 3M iPads. You're trying to put a strawman in play too.
no im not. You want to make statements that arent based on the facts and people are simply challenging you on them.
post #73 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Oh, you mean like if somebody walked into a best buy and they got sold an iPad 3 for the same price as the iPad 4, believing it was the newest? Yeah, I can agree with that.

Or bought an iPad2 instead of an iPad, getting the crazy idea that "2" would mean it's the newer model.1wink.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #74 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

 

 

When Apple announces earnings, it doesn't break down individual sales of particular units. It lumps everything in a group together. Apple occasionally will announce sales for a particular product, like a new iPhone 5. This is to create excitement for the product.

 

...

 

I think you and SolipsismX are twisting things around so much to explain why they didn't announce iPad mini sales numbers that you are practically saying the same thing as those you are arguing against.  

 

Sure, Apple doesn't break out particular models from a product category when reporting sales, but as you yourself admit above, they do announce sales for a particular product like the iPhone 5, (and here is the part you left out... ) when it's new

 

This is when they announce individual sales figures for a product, when it's new and when it's first released.  

 

There is a long standing pattern of Apple releasing a new product and then announcing that said new product is doing well by releasing the sales figures of said product in it's first week, weekend or other appropriate measure of sales time.  This is an unusual situation of releasing two products at the same time, but still we have every reason to expect that Apple would release the sales figures of the new iPad mini.  It's the information that everyone wants to hear and everyone expects to hear.  

 

The fact that they (seemingly) purposefully haven't done this, is in fact unusual.  

post #75 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

no im not. You want to make statements that arent based on the facts and people are simply challenging you on them.

What's facts did I misstate?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #76 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did SJ not say that 10" is the minimum size for tablet apps?

Again, he never stated that.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #77 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

theyve said they wouldnt do a lot of things theyve done. That doesnt matter. That stuff is what you call marketing. I wanted a 7 inch tablet even before steve jobs made that comment and I knew apple was going to release one. They were just trying to throw competitors off the trail and protect their current product.

The only reason he was asked about a smaller tablet is because that's exactly the trail competitors were on, and who the hell are you that you know exactly what Apple's motives are for anything?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #78 of 234
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #79 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

"... fewer than 1M went home to consumers" or something close to that.

 

That would be considered a flop.  So at least you are saying "flop".

 

My guess is the numbers are closer to 2M for iPad mini and 1M for 4th gen iPad.  Based on the shere number of people playing with them at the Apple stores compared to the 4th gen, the interest was very high and if Apple can ramp up to 5 million iPhone 5's for opening weekend.....  Yea....

...and based on available information ahead of the launch at least semi-reputable sources said their was going to be fewer than 1 million available for sale launch weekend. If you can't supply product to meet demand that doesn't make it a flop in my view, but apparently would in yours. I suppose going by your interpretation the iPhone 5 was also a flop since they didn't have sufficient stock at launch?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #80 of 234
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm trying to imagine how analysts can put a negative spin on this.

Other commenters in this very thread are already putting a negative spin on it. The analysts will find a way too. Just wait a few minutes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad