or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review: Apple's fourth-generation iPad

Review: Apple's fourth-generation iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 65
"The quick upgrade cycle is a surprise for recent buyers."

Lol at progress being a con. Apple upgrades once per year, people complain about a product falling behind after 6 months. Apple upgrades a product after 7 months, they still complain. AI aiming at the lowest common denominator now with a Consumer Reports-esque complaint.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #42 of 65
Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post
mmm. Still no memory card slot for camera, audio, movie data.
Still not buying.

Go buy from a different company. I think we're all pretty tired of this uneducated whining.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireside View Post

After all, time is STILL money, is it not?

If the cable was the bottleneck, it would be a valid point, but it's not true yet. iOS devices use single or dual flash chips, so they can't exceed USB 2.0 speeds yet. Flash chips aren't that fast. Please don't compare them to SSDs without keeping in mind that SSDs bank chips in multiples of 8 in parallel to achieve their speeds.
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Go buy from a different company. I think we're all pretty tired of this uneducated whining.

But...but... he knows what's best for everyone doesn't he?? Surely this individual is so incredibly smart and adept to what consumers are looking for that it is just utter amazement that Apple has not hired this clown a$$hat "gifted" individual to run Apple!!

post #45 of 65

Switching to widescreen format would be the very opposite of an "improvement".

post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And then what? A Apple branded TV refreshed yearly? The consumer refresh cycle on TVs is at best 6 years. I don't think it's a market that Apple can redefine.

Apple can be a redesign with the a tv, they can upgrade it yearly, they already started a TV.
post #47 of 65
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
Apple can be a redesign with the a tv, they can upgrade it yearly, they already started a TV.

They started a device that people would buy. Not a giant, marginless panel.

post #48 of 65
I am surprised that ppl think the new connector would not be a reason for a new release. This has everything to do with the "home" ecosystem. When everyone is buying new iPhone 5(s), iPad(s), iPod(s) for the family this holiday shopping season, it makes sense for all of them to have the same connector.

Then when you start adding accessories, they all connect the same. Why is this a mystery?
post #49 of 65
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post
I am surprised that ppl think the new connector would not be a reason for a new release.

A reason, sure, but not the reason, nor could it have been alone.

Why is this a mystery?

Selling enough not to discontinue like the 17" MacBook Pro, but not enough make any change at all… Interesting.

post #50 of 65
Hi everybody! i am brand new on this site,although i read Apple Inside over a year!! So,i wanted to make a question for today but i dint know if it had to be in special thread..so i make it here. cause it has to do with iPad 4th generation.
As you already seen, iPad 4 is available now in all apple online stores.i wanted to know if that means simultaneously that iPad 4 is available in apple retail stores worldwide..and i ask the same for all apple products..so,when a product is available on online apple stores is also available in retail stores all over the world.
thank you,P
post #51 of 65
Originally Posted by cicconegreek View Post
i wanted to know if that means simultaneously that iPad 4 is available in apple retail stores worldwide…

Welcome. This is where it's available right now.

If it's in your country's online Apple Store, it'll also be available in physical stores.

post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 
Yes, in your little Android world, phone = tablet. Probably because your phones are the size of tablets. But in reality, phone ≠ tablet. 16:9 has a place. It doesn't have a place EVERYWHERE. There is not one screen ratio that is objectively best for everything. For where the iPad is positioned, 3:4 is best. For where televisions are positioned… well, 16:9 is established; let's call it that. For computer monitors, 16:9 certainly isn't the best, and yet because all people care about is media, that's the only shape display you can buy anymore.

Then why does the iPhone 5 have it?

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #53 of 65
Quote:

They started a device that people would buy. Not a giant, marginless panel.

Plus they can't use a poetic license to create a new form factor. They really can't make it look any "cooler" than what's already out.
post #54 of 65

I have the ipad 3 and thought about selling my 3 and upgrading the ipad 4 but Ill wait until the next iPad. I have a feeling Apple is going to make the next iteration a different design possibly thats thinner and lighter. I like the idea that the new iPad is twice as fast, offers a better front facing camera, and comes with the new lightning connector. The competition is so far behind the ipad, its not even funny anymore. I mean the Nexus 10, the latest and greatest Android tablet as people say is nowhere near as polished as the iPad. I'm curious to see how it sells and what critics think about it but it's no iPad. 

Edited by quest01 - 11/7/12 at 7:49pm
post #55 of 65
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Then why does the iPhone 5 have it?

Because they feel it's usable where it is. If you think there's a logical dissonance in what I've said, say that instead of obvious questions that can be directly tied to it.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 11/10/12 at 6:56am

post #56 of 65

thank you :)))

post #57 of 65

Of course, there's nothing stopping them allowing Lightning to run at USB3.0 any time it suits them - they'd just need to provide form-compatible plugs at the other end when they do (assuming you can plug a USB2.0 cable into a 3.0 socket but not vice-versa, it makes sense to only do 2.0 cables now). How they handle the interface internally in the iPhone 6/7/... is entirely in their control and the dynamic nature of lightning would appear to be compatible with that. Unless it *needs* more than 8 pins? 

post #58 of 65

I'm pretty sure Apple will move to a retina Mini as soon as they can. Whether that's 6 or 18 months is entirely down to the supply practicalities (cost and volume). I saw one review that explained quite clearly why retina would be impossible *now*, but that's probably the same as being unable to ship an A6X processor iPad back in March. To some extent the release of the iPad 4 has shown you can never take their release cycles for granted any more. If you don't like the mini's screen, don't buy it. Having tried reading Wired in my local apple store, the screen's plenty *good enough*, but I still opted for the full-size 4 retina which is simply awesome. 

post #59 of 65
Originally Posted by philipbowman View Post
Of course, there's nothing stopping them allowing Lightning to run at USB3.0 any time it suits them…

The speed of the chips inside the iDevice making it meaningless is a pretty good reason not to ship an adapter that won't go any faster. But electronically? No, you're right; I don't imagine there's anything physically preventing one.

I don't imagine we'll see one of those before all Macs ship with USB 3. Same with Thunderbolt. And then they'll still have to use faster NAND.

post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

mmm. Still no memory card slot for camera, audio, movie data.

Still not buying.

Get a Toaster Pro. Gives the iPad and iPhone all of that and more.

post #61 of 65
Originally Posted by digital curiosi View Post
…it limits the progress I can report.

In what regard?

So I don't see any way for me give the forum any positive proof of how my Galaxy 10.1 note compares to my iPad4.

Links to benchmarks? Video put up of the two side by side performing identical tasks simultaneously? There should be several ways you can compare them.

Speed seems no faster with the iPad4 then the Galaxy. 

Benchmarks say otherwise.

And keep in mind the Galaxy costs over $200US less then the Apple iPad4.

And for the people who can only see money instead of a usable tablet, that's all they'll ever see. They can buy junk if they want junk. From a review:

The Note 10.1 is wrapped in the trashiest, most awful, cheapest-feeling plastic I've ever experienced. Sure, the finish is Samsung's usual glossy-plastic junk, but this plastic isn't even rigid. It's squishy.

The back is also made of the least durable material known to man.

This is the build quality I would expect in a $100 Chinese-knockoff "Android Tablet" from the bottom shelf of a Kmart, not a $500 tablet from the world's largest Android OEM. Samsung should be ashamed.

The overall impression I get from this is arrogance. "We're Samsung. You slobs will buy anything we crap out. We don't have to try, we don't even need the latest components. You'll buy it no matter what."

And a link to the review, because something this hilarious needs to be seen in context, not just quoted in full by me. Note the URL, for all the Anti-Apple Brigade members who want to try to swoop in and lie about whatever.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 11/10/12 at 5:36pm

post #62 of 65
Originally Posted by digital curiosi View Post
You have just made my point. No need for me to waste anymore time posting in this forum. Bye! Bye!.

If only all the trolls were this easy to get rid of.

post #63 of 65
Quote:

In what regard?

Links to benchmarks? Video put up of the two side by side performing identical tasks simultaneously? There should be several ways you can compare them.

Benchmarks say otherwise.

And for the people who can only see money instead of a usable tablet, that's all they'll ever see. They can buy junk if they want junk. From a review:

And a link to the review, because something this hilarious needs to be seen in context, not just quoted in full by me. Note the URL, for all the Anti-Apple Brigade members who want to try to swoop in and lie about whatever.

1eek.giflol.gifGeesh, when an Android site is slamming it like that, it's gotta be REALLY bad. No wonder Google thought they needed to step in with their Nexus builds.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #64 of 65
Quote:

If only all the trolls were this easy to get rid of.

What's funny is that digi forgot to make said point they claimed to make in the first place. A "gotcha" has zero impact if you forgot to even lay the trap. A pretty sloppy hit-and-run troll that forgot to even get out the basic trolling(talking) points.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/11/12 at 6:17am
post #65 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicconegreek View Post

thank you :)))

Check here, it says "Coming Soon":

http://www.apple.com/gr/ipad/compare/

Cheers

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review: Apple's fourth-generation iPad