or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Election Day U.S.A.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Election Day U.S.A.

post #1 of 254
Thread Starter 

Just wanted to send out a prayer and a blessing to all our American friends on the board (both right and left) who are headed to the polls today.

 

This campaign has been hard-fought and feels like it's been going for a decade.

 

Regardless of who wins, there lies major battles ahead to charting a course back to sustainable budgets, and social peace. I know I am not alone in Canada in wishing you well. Many here do, if only because our economic and social future is somewhat tied to yours.

 

My advice for you today is to pray for wisdom, mark your ballot and as you sit down tonight to watch the returns, talk a bit with your families about where you want to be and what you want to accomplish in the next four years.

 

At the very least, that conversation will be more fruitful for everyone than the early pre-game ritual of watching a bunch of talking heads lie to each other and the rest of the country on national television.

 

America is at its best when it's purpose-driven. As you decide your country's path for the next four years, I pray that the Lord guide you, and give you the faith, hope, love and wisdom you need to choose wisely and live out your dreams courageously.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #2 of 254
Thread Starter 

Oh, and it would be interesting to hear comments in this thread from U.S. voters about the way the electoral systems run in their respective states.

 

One hopes the 'hanging chads' debacle from 2000 won't be replayed anywhere today.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #3 of 254

Hey, thanks. Not only for the sentiment, but for the non-partisan words. There aren't many in PO. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #4 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Oh, and it would be interesting to hear comments in this thread from U.S. voters about the way the electoral systems run in their respective states.

 

One hopes the 'hanging chads' debacle from 2000 won't be replayed anywhere today.

I think they got rid of most of those systems. I vote on a paper ballot that's scanned. 

post #5 of 254
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post
I think they got rid of most of those systems. I vote on a paper ballot that's scanned. 

 

I sort of wish my state would do that. I'm a "bleeding-edge technology" guy, but really, when there's no legal standard baseline for these electronic machines, they could be calibrated to say whatever anyone wants. It wouldn't matter how you vote; it could be changed in the code to appear one way and vote the other.

 

Now, the same's true for paper. Anyone can just burn or shred the ballots they don't like. But smoke rising from the county courthouse or giant trash bags full of really light, really noisy material is sort of a giveaway.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #6 of 254
Thread Starter 

Here in Ontario we scan ballots as well, allowing for a paper trail and recount if necessary.

 

Nice to hear things have been cleaned up a bit.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #7 of 254

Great post, Frank777.

 

Here in Arizona our ballots are paper and are scanned. To fill out your ballot, you draw a line to complete the arrow pointing to your preferred candidate (or Yes/No answer when it comes to propositions). Pretty straightforward.

 

I requested an early ballot and voted by mail a couple weeks ago.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #8 of 254

Ours have always been like those old school scantron forms.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #9 of 254

Our ballots are just like how Jazz described the ballots for Arizona. You complete the arrow with an ink pen and they scan it. I showed up today at 7:05 am and was finished by 7:20 am. There were good size crowds. I went ahead and voted for Gary Johnson because I wanted my vote to make a difference here in California and the second reason was because the California Republican Party was actually recommending yes votes on several tax measures. (Ridiculous.)

 

One thing that struck me as strange was the ballot size. They were gigantic. I think they were all printed on 11x17 paper with 20+ point type.

 

Several other Republicans did get my vote in other offices, I tried tried to give the Libertarians some help for the next election and hopefully the Republican party a big kick in the ass.


Edited by trumptman - 11/6/12 at 10:11am

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #10 of 254

trumpt, we've had our disagreements but I must give you major kudos for having the courage not only to vote, but to vote outside the Republican-Democrat paradigm. I realize you might have voted differently if you were in a swing state, but still, I have great respect for anyone who is willing to vote for principle even if it means voting alone.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #11 of 254

If I were in a swing state, no doubt I would have voted for Romney. I will admit I even sweated the whole popular vote vs electoral college. That said, the California Republican Party is just ridiculous to be recommending yes votes on tax increases and the Democrats are 1000% worse because the state is in the toilet and all they ask for and vote for is more of the same.

 

I guess it'd be really nice if we could have a Gary Johnson for governor here in California.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #12 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

trumpt, we've had our disagreements but I must give you major kudos for having the courage not only to vote, but to vote outside the Republican-Democrat paradigm. I realize you might have voted differently if you were in a swing state, but still, I have great respect for anyone who is willing to vote for principle even if it means voting alone.

 

But as he explains, he's in a different situation.  If he lived in my state, he would vote for Romney.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #13 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

But as he explains, he's in a different situation.  If he lived in my state, he would vote for Romney.  

 

Yes, but would you vote for Gary Johnson were you in his situation?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #14 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

 

Yes, but would you vote for Gary Johnson were you in his situation?

 

That's a good question.  I honestly don't know.  Probably not, because I know that Johnson couldn't win.  Romney may not have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning California, but Johnson doesn't even have that in terms of winning nationally.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #15 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

That's a good question.  I honestly don't know.  Probably not, because I know that Johnson couldn't win.  Romney may not have a snowball's chance in Hell of winning California, but Johnson doesn't even have that in terms of winning nationally.  

 

There you go. That's where you and trumpt are different.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #16 of 254

Glad to see you're looking on the bright side Frank777. 1smile.gif I hope SDW, trump and MJ will show the same kind of humility in the coming months and not just blame Sandy for their defeat. Governor Christie I think showed the same kind of good spirit recently and it went noticed across party lines to the delight of many.

 

Here's what we don't need any more of in this forum in the coming years-  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCkkwFt_6ac&feature=player_embedded

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #17 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I hope SDW, trump and MJ will show the same kind of humility in the coming months and not just blame Sandy for their defeat.

 

First, I don't have a horse in this race so I don't know what "defeat" you're implying.

 

Second, since you've grouped me with SDW and trumptman and presumed their "defeat" you apparently know the results of the election already. Please do tell! It will save a lot of people the time and trouble of actually having to vote.

 

Third, who or what will you blame if Obama loses? We've already seen the gearing up for voting machines and racism. Which will be your choice?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #18 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

First, I don't have a horse in this race so I don't know what "defeat" you're implying.

 

Second, since you've grouped me with SDW and trumptman and presumed their "defeat" you apparently know the results of the election already. Please do tell! It will save a lot of people the time and trouble of actually having to vote.

 

Third, who or what will you blame if Obama loses? We've already seen the gearing up for voting machines and racism. Which will be your choice?

If you had posted polls showing Obama increasing his lead I might have believed you. lol.gif

 

I don't know the result! How can I know which way NC is going to go? ;-) The other states sure, they're a no brainer.  

 

If Obama loses I'll blame election fraud for sure! So will the SCOTUS. ;-)

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #19 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

If you had posted polls showing Obama increasing his lead I might have believed you. lol.gif

 

I don't know the result! How can I know which way NC is going to go? ;-) The other states sure, they're a no brainer.  

 

If Obama loses I'll blame election fraud for sure! So will the SCOTUS. ;-)

 

Can you give me next week's winning lottery numbers?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #20 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

 

Can you give me next week's winning lottery numbers?

Hang on for one moment.

 

Ok, hmmm.... 3,32,20,6 and the bonus number O.

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #21 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

If you had posted polls showing Obama increasing his lead I might have believed you. lol.gif

 

1rolleyes.gif

 

You don't get it. I really don't care.

 

It's just been fun poking at the arrogant, smug and presumptuous left when the election was in the bag and then watching the panic and misdirection as it started to slip into a real election. As the left came undone over the possibility that their messiah might actually lose. It's been downright hilarious.

 

If I want Romney to win it's simply because I want Obama to lose, not because I want Romney to win. I don't care about that. To see the most smug and arrogant president in modern history have his ass handed to him would be a true pleasure to watch. But don't confuse that with being a Romney supporter. The next best thing would be an Obama win with a strengthen Republican Congress that dipshit has to actually work with instead of just sitting back and condescendingly declaring "Because I'm the President."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #22 of 254

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #23 of 254
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Glad to see you're looking on the bright side Frank777. 1smile.gif I hope SDW, trump and MJ will show the same kind of humility in the coming months and not just blame Sandy for their defeat. Governor Christie I think showed the same kind of good spirit recently and it went noticed across party lines to the delight of many.

 

I'm a Christian, so I'm supposed to be capable of at least trying to show goodwill and charity to all sides.

 

That said, I made no comment in this thread on what I hope the result will be, but those who know my political philosophy and arguments here know fully well which side I'd rather see win. There is no hiding that, and I see no need to try.

 

We might win, we might lose...whether we're talking about life, love, investments or elections.

For Christians anyway, "Thy Will Be Done" trumps everything else.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #24 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

For Christians anyway, "Thy Will Be Done" trumps everything else.

 

Yep.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #25 of 254

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #26 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

For Christians anyway, "Thy Will Be Done" trumps everything else.

 

Amen.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #27 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

The Winner of the Election: George W. Bush

 

Yeah.

 

The two best hopes I have are the following:

 

  1. An Obama win and enough Republican control of Congress to create a bit of gridlock.
  2. Romney is lying and saying whatever he can to get elected but will do the right things once elected.

 

Those are both pretty dubious anyway. First the gridlock can't get good things done. Second if Romney's lying I don't know why he should be trusted and he'll immediately begin work on re-election which means not doing anything too radical.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #28 of 254

If Romney wins Ohio, there will be serious questions of election fraud.  An UNVERIFIED last minute patch is being applied to the tabulation machines that enables a backdoor to change votes.  An Ohio judge rejected the request for an injunction against the UNVERIFIED patches.

 

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121106/11124920951/cause-concern-experimental-patches-applied-to-ohio-voting-machines-without-certification.shtml

 

 

 

Quote:
The Secretary of State’s office has been evasive and contradictory in response to questions about the minor seeming change that involved converting results from xml to csv format. Apparently, by calling the software “experimental,” Husted was attempting to avoid any approval, review or testing of the new software. But as the federal Elections Assistance Commission titled a memo back in February , “Software and Firmware modifications are not de minimis changes.”

 

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #29 of 254

Indiana flips to Romney. I think that was expected.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #30 of 254
Bad news for the Republicans in the Senate races. My, oh my.
post #31 of 254
Thread Starter 

I think it's over at this point (in terms of the Presidential race anyway.)

 

Could someone explain to me why they can have results ready in Colorado while the Democratic districts in Florida are still counting?

Something's not right there. This should have ended an hour ago.

 

Hopefully, the next U.S. election will see everywhere move to scanned ballots with a paper trail, and standardized voting hours across the country.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #32 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I think it's over at this point (in terms of the Presidential race anyway.)

 

Could someone explain to me why they can have results ready in Colorado while the Democratic districts in Florida are still counting?

Something's not right there. This should have ended an hour ago.

 

Hopefully, the next U.S. election will see everywhere move to scanned ballots with a paper trail, and standardized voting hours across the country.

Exit polls.

post #33 of 254

Regardless of who wins, or "wins", there's no cause for celebration either way... the banksters, corporatists, plutocrats and oligarchs who own BOTH parties will win... and they will continue SCREWING us.

 

If we Americans weren't so goddamned lazy, addicted to television, fast food', convenience and superficial comfort, we would have done 1776 all over again.... several times by now, for essential periodic overhauls/servicing when things are broken. But it appears we collectively enjoy taking it where the sun refuses to shine.... over and over and over.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #34 of 254
Apparently, Fox, NBC, CNN and CBS have called it for Obama. Dems maintain the Senate. Now let's get some fucking work done. Obama doesn't have to pander any more, and the Repubs are almost guaranteed the presidency and control of the Senate in 2016.
post #35 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Apparently, Fox, NBC, CNN and CBS have called it for Obama. Dems maintain the Senate. Now let's get some fucking work done. Obama doesn't have to pander any more, and the Repubs are almost guaranteed the presidency and control of the Senate in 2016.

 

Get some work done? Apparently you don't understand this is what Obama calls work. Another four years, another $5 trillion dollars, tax increases of all manner, and the economy clearly getting ready to crash back into recession.

 

The best thing coming out of this, much like how Bush damaged the Republican brand with his second term, Obama will do incalculable damage to the Democratic brand.

 

I'm saying this as a guy watching Jerry Brown (likely) be unable to get a tax increase passed in California that is targeted exclusively for education.

 

There is nothing Democrats and Obama won't be able to claim ownership of four years from now. That alone might be worth it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #36 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

 

Get some work done? Apparently you don't understand this is what Obama calls work. Another four years, another $5 trillion dollars, tax increases of all manner, and the economy clearly getting ready to crash back into recession.

 

The best thing coming out of this, much like how Bush damaged the Republican brand with his second term, Obama will do incalculable damage to the Democratic brand.

 

I'm saying this as a guy watching Jerry Brown (likely) be unable to get a tax increase passed in California that is targeted exclusively for education.

 

There is nothing Democrats and Obama won't be able to claim ownership of four years from now. That alone might be worth it.

 

Cool.  Predictions.  You're good at those.

post #37 of 254

Didn't take long, did it?

post #38 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

 

Get some work done? Apparently you don't understand this is what Obama calls work. Another four years, another $5 trillion dollars, tax increases of all manner, and the economy clearly getting ready to crash back into recession.

 

The best thing coming out of this, much like how Bush damaged the Republican brand with his second term, Obama will do incalculable damage to the Democratic brand.

 

I'm saying this as a guy watching Jerry Brown (likely) be unable to get a tax increase passed in California that is targeted exclusively for education.

 

There is nothing Democrats and Obama won't be able to claim ownership of four years from now. That alone might be worth it.

 

Cool.  Predictions.  You're good at those.


LOL

post #39 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal1 View Post

 

Cool.  Predictions.  You're good at those.

 

kobe-bryant-judge.gif

 

Actual laughter was produced.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #40 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm saying this as a guy watching Jerry Brown (likely) be unable to get a tax increase passed in California that is targeted exclusively for education.

Looks like measure 30 will pass, thank God. I support prop 38 as well but unfortunately it hasn't a chance in hell the way it's worded.

It's likely my daughter will go to UC and I can't afford to pay the $30k per year that Republican "austerity" proponents are pushing on us. The UC system was created in California as a constitutionally guaranteed affordable higher education plan. The Cal State system was constitutionally guaranteed to be free!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Election Day U.S.A.