or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Voting Irregularities Thread

Voting Irregularities Thread - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

We need national standards for voting machines and procedures.  They should be as tightly monitored as Las Vegas slot machines.  We also should not have partisan government officials making any decisions about where, when, and how people can vote.  That would perhaps prevent some of the confusion SDW witnessed firsthand.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a nonpartisan government official.  The question is...regulated by whom?  You're not even talking about regulation, you're talking about enforcement.  Someone has to do the enforcing.  

Quote:
Also, with regard to the churches, here's the first article I could find about the conservative bias that churches introduce.  I can't find the links to the other more rigorous studies, but will try to dig them up.  Priming is a very real effect.  This is why I agreed that the Obama posters/murals should be covered.

Then shouldn't we prevent voting in schools?  Doesn't making someone vote on a tax increase in the school that it affects serve as priming?  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't know if there is such a thing as a nonpartisan government official.  The question is...regulated by whom?  You're not even talking about regulation, you're talking about enforcement.  Someone has to do the enforcing.  

I'm for bringing in international election overseers that will monitor irregularities until we can demonstrate that we can hold fair elections on our own.

Then shouldn't we prevent voting in schools?  Doesn't making someone vote on a tax increase in the school that it affects serve as priming?  

Perhaps.  We then would need some large gathering place with plenty of parking that isn't a church or a school.  If we are stuck between the two with no other good alternatives, I'd err on the side of schools in that they are government property and don't border on separation of church and state issues.   

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #43 of 72

The only redeeming quality of the current U.S. system is that the biases are out in the open, and under scrutiny by the public. Here in Canada we've had issues with Elections Canada being accused of being on the Liberal side of the ledger, chastising the Conservatives for perceived election-law breaches and allowing Liberal candidates to openly flout campaign finance laws.

But at least voting hours and ballot-counting are standardized and largely event-free.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yes, we covered this when the Bush vs Gore debacle took place. And after Obama vs. McCain.

The Democratic side was all abuzz about correcting voting injustices then. And then Obama did absolutely nothing.

Talk has been extremely cheap around this issue for the past dozen years.

In the age of social media, why Americans can't build a non-partisan advocacy movement to champion world-class elections?

Oh yeah, try election reform that federalizes standards, taking power away from state and local governments.  Do you REALLY think that was going to fly during the last 4 years?  You think the vitriol against the first black president is bad now?  How about when they accuse him of trying to steal all future elections?  Doubtful he'd have been able to pass the legislation he did in that environment.

This has to come from the people, not from a party leader.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #45 of 72

Whatever they do...as someone once said: "If voting made a difference, they'd make it illegal."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #46 of 72

Voting made a **** load of difference when the spoiler effect, coupled with suppression, put Bush into office over Gore.  We had surpluses.  The debt was going to be paid off.  We weren't involved in two wars.  That statement is a weak platitude to make the fringe or smugly independent feel better.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #47 of 72

I'll be curious about the different sides here after.

If Obama wins will the left have any questions about voting machines and other irregularities?

If Romney wins will the left be able to refrain from questions about voting machines and other irregularities?

Same questions in reverse.

In order words is there any losing scenario for either side that would not result in such claims of stolen election?

Point is...these are positions of convenience.

post #48 of 72

Bullshit.  There have been systematic attempts by Republican local and state officials in swing states to attempt to suppress the vote.  It's well documented. 

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #49 of 72

Just as amusing will be how the media handles things tonight.

Here's my guess:

1) If it seems clear Obama is winning it, we'll hear about that from the get go.

2) If it seems like Romney is winning it, we'll hear it is too close to call and there's a lot undecided.

post #50 of 72

UPDATE: Judge Orders Obama Mural Covered At Northeast Philadelphia Polling Place

Quote:
Local Republicans went to court to have a judge order a mural of President Obama covered up at the Ben Franklin Elementary School polling place in the Northeast Philadelphia.

Republican Party of Pennsylvania Chairman Rob Gleason released the following statement regarding the Republican Party of Pennsylvania’s successful challenge.

“The Obama campaign is 0-for-2 today in trying to get away with their disgusting attempts to suppress Republican voices in Philadelphia,” Chairman Rob Gleason said. “Whether it’s blocking Republican Election Day workers form doing their job or violating Pennsylvania law by electioneering in the polling place, it is clear the Obama campaign has taken their campaign in the gutter to manipulate this election however they can.  Based on the Obama campaign’s behavior today, it certainly raises the question: what are Democrats doing in the polls that they are working so hard to shield folks from monitoring this election?”

The Judge of Elections in this district says the mural has been there for several years and it was an oversight.

Officials with the City Commissioner’s Office say the mural has since been covered.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #51 of 72

Report: Woman Wearing 'MIT' Shirt Barred from Voting in Florida

Quote:
A woman wearing an MIT t-shirt was barred from voting Florida, according to a local report. MIT stands for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, not Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

"A woman attempting to vote in West Boca Raton this morning was initially prohibited from entering the polling place because she was wearing a tee shirt with the letters MIT," BocaNewsNow.com reports. 

"BocaNewsNow.com has heard from multiple sources that an election supervisor at the polling place ultimately realized that MIT stands for “Massachusetts Institute of Technology” — a school where students tend to know how to spell — and was not a campaign shirt for the Republican candidate, who spells his name MITT. Campaigning is not permitted within several yards of a polling place."

Fortuntaly, the woman was ultimately allowed to vote. "The woman was ultimately allowed to vote," the local report reads.

post #52 of 72

Now that's a but whacky.

Wow. Folks are on edge.

post #53 of 72

I agree with the ruling.  That article was complete partisan hackery bullshit.  Err, correction...the statement the article reported.  I read too quickly.  Figures the chairman would speak in that disgusting manner.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #54 of 72

I'm guessing we will probably know where this is going fairly early. If NC, VA, OH and FL go Romney, it's probably over for Obama. Especially if OH goes that way.

post #55 of 72

Here's another Pennsylvania voting machine that is "miscalibrated" in favor of Republican candidates.

http://vimeo.com/52947220

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I'm guessing we will probably know where this is going fairly early. If NC, VA, OH and FL go Romney, it's probably over for Obama. Especially if OH goes that way.

RT posted the following blurb:

Quote:
Bad news for Republicans counting on a repeat of 2008 in Ohio - in Cuyahoga County, including Cleveland, 50% of registered voters had cast a ballot as of 2:30 EST. 

So I guess the assumption is that low voter turnout helped the Republicans in Ohio in 2008?

post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

RT posted the following blurb:

So I guess the assumption is that low voter turnout helped the Republicans in Ohio in 2008?

I guess. But I would think it depends on the composition of the turnout. I'm not that much of a electoral geek to be honest.

post #58 of 72

Low voter turnout generally does help Republicans.  Where have you been the last 10 years?  Where have you been the last year?  The systematic attempts to suppress the vote by Republican government officials in swing states has been incredibly well-documented.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #59 of 72

Of course there's that bit about OH and Republican presidents. No R has won POTUS without OH in like 60 years or something.

But I don't know if that's statistically meaningful or not.

post #60 of 72

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #61 of 72

If this election really is super-tight (a la 2000)...I think it is telling us something about the country. It really is or has become TWO countries.

post #62 of 72

I'm happy to let some of the moocher, hypocritical red states secede.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

This has to come from the people, not from a party leader.

Quote:

In the age of social media, why Americans can't build a non-partisan advocacy movement to champion world-class elections?

I thought that was what I said. "Non-partisan advocacy movement" = the people.

I wasn't advocating for governmental initiative, at least at the outset. (Though I see now I went a bit Yoda on the grammatical structure there.)

post #64 of 72

You complained that Obama had did nothing about it.  That's what I was responding to.  I agree it needs to be nonpartisan.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #65 of 72
Quote:

I thought that was what I said. "Non-partisan advocacy movement" = the people.

I wasn't advocating for governmental initiative, at least at the outset. (Though I see now I went a bit Yoda on the grammatical structure there.)

I wonder if that's even possible. First, I seriously doubt you'll get anything truly non partisan. But even if you do, once you try to get it through the government, it will get murdered by the partisans.

post #66 of 72

Shocking.  More attempted voter suppression in Pennsylvania.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/11/pennsylvania-democrats-no-parking

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

At my polling place ...

One voter had to ask her companion what her home address was. Odd that she didn't already know.

They made the guy slumped over in the wheelchair wait his turn to get his ballot. That kind of sucked.

An octogenarian cut the line behind me in front of a septuagenarian. Words where exchanged. The older lady was too old to understand the younger woman was pissed.

No one that I saw open carried their pistol in the polling place that is also a school.

Oh and also at my polling place one voter (I didn't see) spoiled a ballot, returned it to the girls handing out ballots and left. She should have just waited for a new one. 1hmm.gif

post #68 of 72
The first arrest has been made with regard to voter fraud. An election worker in Oregon was found filling in undeclared ballots for the Republican ticket.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/06/oregon-election-worker-fired-for-altering-ballots-to-republican-straight-ticket/
post #69 of 72

"By the way, we have to fix that!" -B.O.

post #70 of 72

Loved that.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #71 of 72

That's the same lip service you guys get after every election.

Somebody's got to start a non-partisan activist group now, or this will go nowhere.

post #72 of 72

Posted this in the election thread but think it may fit here.  Wherever.

-  - - - -- - -

Florida succeeded in discouraging almost 50,000 from voting.

19,000 would have gone Mittens.  The rest for Obama.  The need to disrupt the vote is clear... if you are Republican.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/29/floridas-long-lines-election-voting_n_2381482.html

Hard data.  It will be dismissed as created by a commie liberal un-Amerikan not Americian elite university and reported on by that ghastly entity the Huffington Post and therefore it should be dismissed straight out.

And the rest of the country and the world will shake their heads in disbelief.

- - - - - -

I hope this crap can be fixed.  Soon.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Voting Irregularities Thread