or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft rumored to release 7-inch 'Xbox Surface' gaming tablet

Microsoft rumored to release 7-inch 'Xbox Surface' gaming tablet

post #1 of 40
Microsoft reportedly plans to take on Apple's new iPad mini with its own smaller 7-inch tablet designed primarily for playing games.

Details on the so-called "Xbox Surface" were revealed on Tuesday by The Verge, which cited multiple sources familiar with the company's plans. The 7-inch tablet is expected to run on an ARM processor with high-bandwidth RAM designed specifically for gaming tasks.

The rumored tablet is said to run a custom Windows kernel that may support regular tablet functions. However, the focus of the hardware and software is said to be gaming.

Microsoft has allegedly locked down several Xbox-related development buildings at its corporate campus in Redmond, Wash., in an effort to keep a lid on the secret Xbox Surface project.

Microsoft is currently one of the "big three" hardware makers in the home gaming market with its Xbox 360 console. But the company has not opted to compete in the handheld gaming space, where Nintendo's 3DS and Sony's PlayStation Vita compete with Apple's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Surface WiFi

Microsoft recently released its first Surface tablet, a 10-inch device designed to compete with Apple's iPad. Like the iPad, the Surface is an all-purpose computing device capable of browsing the Web and editing documents, in addition to playing games. But the primary focus of the rumored Xbox Surface will apparently be games.

Apple has chosen to market its iPod touch as largely a gaming device, even though it can run the same applications as the iPhone. The latest iPod touch is marketed with the slogan "Engineered for maximum funnies," while Apple used the slogan "Game on. And on. And on." in 2010.

Downloadable games also routinely dominate the most popular options on the iOS App Store for both the iPhone and iPad. For example, on Tuesday, seven of the top 10 paid iPhone applications were games, while eight of the top 10 paid iPad apps were games.
post #2 of 40
Xbox U?
post #3 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft has allegedly locked down several Xbox-related development buildings at its corporate campus in Redmond, Wash., in an effort to keep a lid on the secret Xbox Surface project.

So now Microsoft is doubling down on security too. They figure if they copy everything that Apple does eventually they will discover the recipe for the secret sauce.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #4 of 40

"Yay!"

said no one.

post #5 of 40
Apple over the past 10 yrs work to consolidate the markets it to a single product and now we have MS trying to fragment it into market specific products. They we create all these variant to chase after each market in hope they will buy multiply products running M$ something on it
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Apple over the past 10 yrs work to consolidate the markets it to a single product and now we have MS trying to fragment it into market specific products. They we create all these variant to chase after each market in hope they will buy multiply products running M$ something on it

What you mean like buying extra parts for the 360?  when it first came out... base system, plus wireless unit, plus HD drive, plus...plus, plus... This way you spend more than the M$ stuff then you would on the competition’s that has everything built in already.

Yep, make people think they are spending much less, and in reality spend way more than they had too… good old M$.  Why do they just keep reminding me more and more of a used car salesman?

Should we start a betting pool on this... can they become paperweights faster than Zune???   :)

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

post #7 of 40
Zune 2
post #8 of 40

Ballmer/Microsoft: Once we see Apple is successful in a market we go after it. Sometimes it takes us six years to debut a product and sometimes four, but long after the puck has been there, you can count on us to skate there.

post #9 of 40

Anything you can do, I can do, better.  

I can do anything better than you.

No you can't

Yes I can.

No you can't

Yes I can.....

Personally, Microsoft has to go all in at this point.  If Apple/Android/Amazon identify a niche, microsoft has to try to establish a beachhead, in order to prove to shareholders they are competing (not necessarily  competitive) on all form factors.   The question is, will this cannabalize their xBox line?

post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Xbox U?

Microsoft should call Windows 8, XBox OS, which is really what the GUI is.

XBox Phone

XBox Surface RT

XBox Surface Pro

XBox OS

That's a little more honest.  Now it's an XBox tablet.

post #11 of 40
Quote:
The latest iPod touch is marketed with the slogan "Engineered for maximum funnies,"

'Funness', not 'funnies'.

post #12 of 40
I'm surprised MS didn't do that with the current Surface. The XBox brand is their most successful hardware program, it only makes sense to build on that.
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 
Apple has chosen to market its iPod touch as largely a gaming device, even though it can run the same applications as the iPhone. The latest iPod touch is marketed with the slogan "Engineered for maximum funnies," while Apple used the slogan "Game on. And on. And on." in 2010.
Gee, you would think MS would be releasing a 4" Slate tablet to compete in this space then ... Oh that's right, the iPod Touch is being replaced by the iPad mini.
post #14 of 40

Blah blah blah.

Can we actually wait until they come out with something? Anything?

post #15 of 40
It's not really a box anymore at that shape. Maybe an eXyPad? lol.gif
post #16 of 40
Quote:

Microsoft reportedly plans to take on Apple's new iPad mini with its own smaller 7-inch tablet designed primarily for playing games. ...

What a horrible idea.  

Microsoft is already confusing everyone with two almost identical yet completely incompatible versions of the "Surface," now it will be three.  

This makes little sense as a strategy in that if it's ARM games we are talking about, then why not just use a Surface RT to play them? If it's intel games we are talking about then it will basically be a special version of the Surface Pro, cost $1100 or more, and again ... why not just use a Surface Pro? 

Is this an admission that despite all the tweaking, a Surface Pro or a Surface RT won't have the horsepower to actually run games?  If this is true, then the Surface XBox, will sort of be a Surface Pro ... Pro?  And if that's the case, then why would you ever buy a Surface Pro or a Surface RT when you could buy a more powerful Surface XBox?  

All kinds of crazy here.  

post #17 of 40
Will Sinofsky dismiss it as a "recreational tablet"?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 40

It's not over until the fat bald guy tries to make an iPad mini...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #19 of 40

this is so pathetically typical of MS - announce ("leak") a vaporware product to try to distract attention from a rival's real thing.

but there is a major problem with that strategy this time: the iPad mini is going to TOTALLY KILL the Surface before they ever get the chance. MS will sell a few million of them to their hardcore fans - all those Windows-addicted IT guys especially (i know a few). and then - zilch. yup, just like the Zune.

you tell me what kids/anyone who open their Xmas present and find a Surface instead of an iPad mini will say? i know: after "oh shit," it will be "where's the receipt - i want to take it back and get a mini."

post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Will Sinofsky dismiss it as a "recreational tablet"?

LOL

/high five, my man.

post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's not over until the fat bald guy tries to make an iPad mini...

The very instant Baller got the idea of a 7" Game device...

post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

this is so pathetically typical of MS - announce ("leak") a vaporware product to try to distract attention from a rival's real thing.

but there is a major problem with that strategy this time: the iPad mini is going to TOTALLY KILL the Surface before they ever get the chance. MS will sell a few million of them to their hardcore fans - all those Windows-addicted IT guys especially (i know a few). and then - zilch. yup, just like the Zune.

you tell me what kids/anyone who open their Xmas present and find a Surface instead of an iPad mini will say? i know: after "oh shit," it will be "where's the receipt - i want to take it back and get a mini."

I wonder if Microsoft will include the January returns against the December sales...?

Centuries to come, when the civilization that develops after the current one falls to the wayside begins to mine the landfill full of Zunes, Kins and Surfaces will someday ask each other, "Who were these bozos?"

post #23 of 40

Good for MS. They know they need to go all out and carve out an ecosystem. Otherwise, they lose the future.

P

post #24 of 40
40 Million XBox live subscribers gentlemen.

If true, this IS NOT an iPad toy like you see preschool kids on the plane playing or watching bids.

Think mobile hardcore gaming, portable lan parties, COD/Halo groups at Starbucks...

This could be a literal game changer.
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

If true, this IS NOT an iPad toy like you see preschool kids on the plane playing or watching bids.
Think mobile hardcore gaming, portable lan parties, COD/Halo groups at Starbucks...

Hardcore gaming does not lend itself to ultraportable devices. "Gaming" laptops are huge, weigh 10 lbs, and have a battery life of 45min.
Even if you managed to cram all that hardware into a surface size device, how are you going to controll the game? You'd have to drag around a decent keyboard and mouse, and in the end you might as well have bought the full sized laptop.
post #26 of 40
Quote:

Sounds like the same "1337 g4m3r 4lif3" marketing that Sony uses with their oh so successful PS Vita and PlayStation-branded Android tablets. Game changer? Microsoft is following the herd.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen 
Hardcore gaming does not lend itself to ultraportable devices. "Gaming" laptops are huge, weigh 10 lbs, and have a battery life of 45min.
Even if you managed to cram all that hardware into a surface size device, how are you going to controll the game? You'd have to drag around a decent keyboard and mouse, and in the end you might as well have bought the full sized laptop.

That's not really what hardcore gaming means any more. Hardcore gaming is playing the latest AAA titles on 7 year old console hardware.

Red Dead Redemption would be not be considered a casual game but it doesn't exist on the PC.

OpenGL 3 ES looks like this:

From this year onwards, tablets will have current-gen console quality and will improve each year.

In terms of controls, Microsoft can easily (and should) make a slim version of their 360 controller. This can have a cable to plug into the tablet or work wirelessly. The slim controller can be almost flat with weak or no force feedback motors, slim sticks or capacitive pads.

Kids in the back of a car could finally take proper games with them and play multiplayer.

I personally think this should be the next-gen console. People talk about the PS4 and XBox 720 and imagine the same boxes we have now but why bother? A tablet has a connection to a store with a much easier UI to buy games, it can be docked with any TV in the home, it can be undocked and taken on the go.

Nobody is really looking for vastly improved graphics, just good, affordable, accessible games and a machine you don't have to give up old games when you upgrade. New models can come out yearly and it doesn't mean games don't work, they just downgrade visually.
post #28 of 40
Quote:

Forget talking sense here.  These guys have their heads buried so far up Apple's hind end that they can see Tim Cook's breakfast selection before it hits his teeth; they can't and won't see what's coming at them, which is ironically the same arrogant top of the world attitude that nearly killed Apple the first time, and that allowed Apple to then overtake MS and regain the prize.  Arrogance always leads to complacency and myopic thinking, and it abounds here in spades.  Until the school of hard knocks kicked some sense into him, Ballmer's arrogance was Apple's secret weapon.  Now I see that the arrogance field has moved to Cupertino.

MS sold out of the entry level Surface, people.  And they have quietly gone about the business they need to in recent years in order to erect an ecosystem that rivals Apple's.  Want to sync wirelessly across your many different devices like iCloud?  Yes, MS can do it too.  Want to buy music, TV, and movie content?  Yes, xBox music store and media does just as much as iTunes does.  Yeah, it synchs between devices just like Apple, too, automatically.  Oh yeah, it also lets you listen free add supported, or pay a flat rate for however much music you want per month - features Apple doesn't have.  Want to watch that content on any of your devices, pick up on one where the other left off like you can with AirPlay?  Yeah, got that too.  Except you can also interact with content in more robust ways.  And oh yeah, you can actually do the outlandish like hook your device up to about any USB device and add a memory card.  In many ways, MS is now the biggest contender for taking on Apple in this space.  Forget Android - it is pure junk by comparison.

Look, I love Apple products and I have a load of them.  I'm writing this on my iMac, with my MacPro laptop nearby, and I'll probably look up replies on my iPhone.  But I'm not so stupid as to think that Apple is the only game in town, and I'm not willing to be blinded by militant fanboyism.  Thinking that Apple is somehow magic and that nobody else can ever touch their game is foolish and when that sort of thing is a characteristic of a leader, it has a very predictable path.  If you think MS can't wade into this pool, you are dreaming.  This is a pitched battle - for survival folks - and if you think MS isn't going to go all in you are fooling yourselves.

I went out and bought a Surface, FYI.  I also own an Android tab and an iPad.  I have developed for all three.  And I can tell you something right off the bat: Android is the loser here.  Android sucks by comparison to both of the others.  Windows 8 is startlingly different but it is not bad.  In fact, it is quite good.  Maybe even great.  You boys blow it off at your own peril.

post #29 of 40

Way more Game Center subscribers. Why do you think this means anything?

And shut up if you're going to call the iPad a toy. Of course it's a toy when you're using it as one. It's also a professional product if you're using it as one. Can't say that about most of the other products on the market.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Way more Game Center subscribers. Why do you think this means anything?

The fact that you have to ask that question suggests that you don't know what xbox live really is, as does the comparison to game center.  Game center is nothing at all like xbox live.  Xbox live is in some ways more like the tip of the MS ecosystem; it is not simply a hub for game play, and I suspect we'll see that concept continue to evolve with the next xbox.

post #31 of 40
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post
The fact that you have to ask that question suggests that you don't know what xbox live really is, as does the comparison to game center.  Game center is nothing at all like xbox live.  Xbox live is in some ways more like the tip of the MS ecosystem; it is not simply a hub for game play, and I suspect we'll see that concept continue to evolve with the next xbox.

Yeah, it does music and whatever too. Guess what; so does the iPad. And the latter has a larger ecosystem than the former.

post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, it does music and whatever too. Guess what; so does the iPad. And the latter has a larger ecosystem than the former.

Isn't the refrain 'size doesn't matter' the one that we hear echoing around these fora whenever anyone points out that Apple doesn't have the market lead in some given category?  I remember MS and others snidely making similar remarks about how few apps were in the app store when it first started.

You just can't be dismissive in this industry - it moves too fast for that.  Simply dismissing the ecosystem MS is bringing to market is unwise in my opinion, because it ignores the ways that it can leverage the huge market potential that exists in MS's installed base.  My fond hope is that Tom Cook and the rest of Apple's leadership take the threat more seriously than do the fanboys running around here, because if they don't, it is inevitable that they will yield market to MS.

post #33 of 40
Isn't the refrain 'size doesn't matter' the one that we hear echoing around these fora whenever anyone points out that Apple doesn't have the market lead in some given category? 

Yeah, but that isn't what we're talking about here. That's used to highlight the quality and success of what is had, not the potential of what can be. With a greater hardware install base, like we have here, developers will be more likely to work with iOS than they would any individual console (or that industry as a whole).

post #34 of 40

If it plays Halo I'll buy it.

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #35 of 40

Add another failure to the pile...

post #36 of 40
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post
Add another failure to the pile…

A picture says a thousand words. Maybe the "new" guy can take a hint from that.

I like that Ballmer.

post #37 of 40
Quote:

Look, I love Apple products and I have a load of them.  I'm writing this on my iMac, with my MacPro laptop nearby, and I'll probably look up replies on my iPhone.  But I'm not so stupid as to think that Apple is the only game in town, and I'm not willing to be blinded by militant fanboyism.  Thinking that Apple is somehow magic and that nobody else can ever touch their game is foolish and when that sort of thing is a characteristic of a leader, it has a very predictable path.  If you think MS can't wade into this pool, you are dreaming.  This is a pitched battle - for survival folks - and if you think MS isn't going to go all in you are fooling yourselves.

See, here's what I don't get when people like you claim you're "not blinded by fanboyism." The rumor of an Xbox tablet has you people singing its praises, like the rumor has already won, and the iPad is no longer a contender and Apple is now doomed. Except for the fact that this is just a rumor: you have no specs, no hardware, no benchmarks, no announced titles, prices, description, features, nothing. Versus iPad's real hardware, specs, benchmarks, hundreds of thousands of titles, prices, features, and an entire ecosystem. It's real, you can buy one now, and you can play real games on it, including triple-A sports titles, fighting games, shooters, racing games, arcade classics, and plenty of casual games. Go ahead: pretend none of that exists. Pretend your rumored Xbox tablet is real and already beaten iPad. And say with a straight face that you're not the one blinded by militant fanboyism. While you're "fooling yourself" over a rumor, I'll go play Need For Speed and Rage on my real iPad. Let me know when your rumored 7-inch Xbox gaming tablet wades into the pool.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 40
Quote:

News flash: ALL game systems are toys. Just because some 35-year-olds buy them don't make them not toys! It's not actually a bad thing, except for people on your side of the fence sneering at things for being toys, when games are toys.

Any assertion otherwise is snobbery and elitism. This idea of making a separate distinction for "serious gaming" device that is somehow not a toy is self-contradictory and very silly.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/8/12 at 9:40am
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

See, here's what I don't get when people like you claim you're "not blinded by fanboyism." The rumor of an Xbox tablet has you people singing its praises, like the rumor has already won, and the iPad is no longer a contender and Apple is now doomed. Except for the fact that this is just a rumor: you have no specs, no hardware, no benchmarks, no announced titles, prices, description, features, nothing. Versus iPad's real hardware, specs, benchmarks, hundreds of thousands of titles, prices, features, and an entire ecosystem. It's real, you can buy one now, and you can play real games on it, including triple-A sports titles, fighting games, shooters, racing games, arcade classics, and plenty of casual games. Go ahead: pretend none of that exists. Pretend your rumored Xbox tablet is real and already beaten iPad. And say with a straight face that you're not the one blinded by militant fanboyism. While you're "fooling yourself" over a rumor, I'll go play Need For Speed and Rage on my real iPad. Let me know when your rumored 7-inch Xbox gaming tablet wades into the pool.

You completely miss the point of what I did say while simultaneously crediting me with a number of things I in no way actually said.  All that clap-trap about singing the praises of an xbox tablet yadda yadda is just that - clap-trap.  I never said any such things.  I pointed out that the threat from the Win8 eco-system is bigger than you guys want to admit, and by extension, a good xbox tablet is not a bad idea.

I'll make this simple:

1) Windows 8 and xbox form an ecosystem that is equally capable to the ecosystem Apple provides.

2) Just like Apple, that ecosystem extends across many device types including tablets, phones, and desktops.

3) Unlike Apple, Windows 8 apps sold through the windows store will run on tablets as wells as desktops and laptops.

4) XBox is not a gaming console, MS has transformed it into a console that happens to play games.  If they continue to execute on that strategy, they will be meeting Apple on every front (including the beloved hobby) but with more capabilities.

5) That makes the market disrupting threat real and one that fanboys such as yourself ought to pay some attention to.

post #40 of 40
I don't think this will be a success if its not able to play full fledged Xbox 360 games. I have an Xbox 360 and its great and I just got Halo 4 yesterday and its awesome but that's a different story. I don't see an Xbox 360 portable device being successful. Who knows it could be but leave Xbox 360 as a console only device.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft rumored to release 7-inch 'Xbox Surface' gaming tablet
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft rumored to release 7-inch 'Xbox Surface' gaming tablet