or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple looks to add Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1, Google's Jelly Bean OS to lawsuit

Apple looks to add Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1, Google's Jelly Bean OS to lawsuit

post #1 of 55
In a motion for leave to supplement its initial infringement allegations against Samsung, Apple argues that the Korean company's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet along with the Android 4.1 operating system, dubbed Jelly Bean, should be included in an ongoing patent infringement case.

Galaxy Note 10.1
Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1. | Source: Samsung

U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal on Tuesday heard Apple's arguments at the District Court for the Northern District of California, reports Bloomberg, with the Cupertino company alleging that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 infringes on certain patents and should therefore be added to the ongoing lawsuit.

The assertions against Samsung's tablet are nothing new, though the addition of Jelly Bean could represent a direct attack on Google's mobile operating system, a first for Apple that could open the door to a legitimate court battle between the world's two most popular mobile operating systems.

Previously, the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Note were both added to the pending case. In early October, Samsung also supplemented its position and added the iPhone 5 to its series of complaints, which are based on Apple's alleged violation of UMTS wireless patents used in its iOS devices.

While the patent suit is under the purview of presiding Judge Lucy Koh, the same jurist who oversaw the landmark Apple v. Samsung trial that ended with a $1.05 billion Apple win, it is a separate case that has yet to go to trial. However, because the jurors found the Galaxy Tab to not be infringement of Apple's design patents in the August ruling, Judge Koh dissolved a preliminary injunction against the device in October. A permanent sales ban may still be in the cards for the Tab 10.1, as the issue may arise in the multitude of post-trial motions from both parties set to be heard in December.

The suit to which Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Google's Jelly Bean were added is scheduled to go to trial in 2014.
post #2 of 55
I guess...
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #3 of 55
There's that word we've all been expecting: Google.
post #4 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

There's that word we've all been expecting: Google.

Except there isn't anything obvious in Jelly Bean that looks like it was stolen. This will likely be one of those cases where it's about complex patents of how the OS works.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The suit to which Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Google's Jelly Bean were added is scheduled to go to trial in 2014.

Isn't that a bit too late to matter? We would probably have the Galaxy Xtra Note Tab 20.1 and Google Licorice Cupcake then.

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
post #6 of 55
Couldn't Apple charge Google with inducement also?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 55

Looks like Apple is beginning to open the missile silos.  Good.  I hope Samsung and Google get what's coming.

To the iHaters, trolls, and Samsung lapdogs, don't even bother flaming me.  You won't get anywhere outside your parents' basement.

post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Except there isn't anything obvious in Jelly Bean that looks like it was stolen. This will likely be one of those cases where it's about complex patents of how the OS works.

Most probably.

But, win or lose, it's guaranteed to be entertaining!
post #9 of 55

Give it a break Apple.  Enough already with the petty lawsuits.  If you invented the door knob, you'd want to patent it. Even your customers had enough.

post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickApple View Post

Give it a break Apple.  Enough already with the petty lawsuits.  If you invented the door knob, you'd want to patent it. Even your customers had enough.

Darn tooting if I invented the door knob I would patent it...and any variation I can think of.

Just because it 'seems' easy and obvious does not make it so. Just as an excersize, off the top of your head, can you describe the inner workings of a door latch and how it works?

Yes, this customer had enough of Apple... enough to buy a rMBP and say wow what a computer!

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #11 of 55
Quote:

Maybe you have had enough but not all customers have had enough, what we have had enough is these assho*** copying Apples stuff.

post #12 of 55
Originally Posted by fliberate View Post
Good artists copy, great artists steal 1wink.gif

Intelligent people know the truth. Trolls misuse quotes.

Oh, but that fits a rule.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #13 of 55

I just switched to android from Apple on everything except my laptop. I just enjoy the variety of hardware and after being a iPhone/ipad user from when they were first introduced (and every version since), I just enjoy the choice of hardware/software. To me the android based stuff just works better - but thats me. Particularly after using my Galaxy Note II running jellybean - no way i would go back to the iPhone. Nexus 7 - same thing just better than my ipad or the mini (which was the first apple product I didn't buy).

These lawsuits will go on for ever but I think Apple is behind the curve now. Laptop and MAC OS X is still supreme though. 

post #14 of 55

In looking at the posted image, I am not thinking that the UI is that similar.  And I am as big a fanboy as anyone.

post #15 of 55
Here's an idea Apple, start using all that suing money for something that will keep customers happy like maybe quit charging us a $100 more for 16GB more Flash memory in the iPads. How long will they keep that lame price point on those things?? Come on, we all know that flash memory is getting cheaper everyday. I'm sorry but Apple really needs to quit this same old crap that their sh*t don't stink and they will get away with anything they want. I really hope the iPad Mini is a flop because Apple priced it poorly compared to competitors and even it's own products. Don't even get me started on all their overpriced adapters you need for anything you're trying to connect to an Apple product. I've had Macs since '95 and I'm starting to lose faith in Apple and it's big head. I'm so tired too hearing about how Apple might not allow this or that in the App Store, come on, really block better options for your customers??? Their new Maps is pretty but it sucks.
post #16 of 55
yep agree, its BS that Samsung is continuing the copying...innovate or get out!
post #17 of 55

@Tallest Skil. You are so right!

A good citation to your claim can be found on:
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/kirby_ferguson_embrace_the_remix.html#t=7m25s

post #18 of 55

Continue making new accounts here and we'll report you to the authorities. Spam is illegal.

post #19 of 55

Who is that directed too?

post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchingnumber View Post

I just switched to android from Apple on everything except my laptop. I just enjoy the variety of hardware and after being a iPhone/ipad user from when they were first introduced (and every version since), I just enjoy the choice of hardware/software. To me the android based stuff just works better - but thats me. Particularly after using my Galaxy Note II running jellybean - no way i would go back to the iPhone. Nexus 7 - same thing just better than my ipad or the mini (which was the first apple product I didn't buy).

These lawsuits will go on for ever but I think Apple is behind the curve now. Laptop and MAC OS X is still supreme though. 

It's great that you have a preference for Android and the "HW" it offers. No one reasonable would deny you your opinion of what you like better, but your reasons regarding HW don't sound rational. You'll have to be specific about the variety of "HW" if you want your comment to be taken seriously.

post #21 of 55
Originally Posted by wallop View Post
Who is that directed too?

It knows who it is. Hopefully it gets the message.

post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlwmggw View Post

Here's an idea Apple, start using all that suing money for something that will keep customers happy

These kinds of correlations are stupid. Do you honestly think Apple execs are sitting around wondering if they should sue to protect their IP or just give away HW instead? In what fucking world do you live that that sounds reasonable?
Quote:
like maybe quit charging us a $100 more for 16GB more Flash memory in the iPads. How long will they keep that lame price point on those things??

It would be nice if they charged less for doubling the storage capacity but then you get people saying "it's only x-amount more so I'll get the higher capacity device. If you only charged $50 for each jump then the 64GB would sell a lot more units than the 16GB model. You think that's good except that Apple runs out of the high-capacity models a lot faster, too few people by the low capacity model, and they'll probably have to can it like they did with the short lived 4GB iPhone.

On top of that you now have an issue with the product category's profit margin so you don't have the entry price being $399 with the 64GB at $499, instead you have the entry price at $499 with the 64GB model at $599 which just makes it more difficult for people to buy at the low and mid-range and too many people buying the 64GB model.

And what happens when they double up again and it's 32GB, 64GB and 128GB. Should it just be $100 between 32GB and an additional 96GB just because you say so? Who the **** are you to state this as some universal fact about a company should its business?
Quote:
Come on, we all know that flash memory is getting cheaper everyday.

Do we? I haven't seen any reports on NAND futures from the NYSE¡ By now everyone should be well aware of the issues with NAND and Moore's Law.

post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think I just responded to him. He's the only one that posts just drivel.

post #24 of 55

In that case,

If I wonted to spam I would put something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Reasoning-Introduction-Anne-Thomson/dp/0415445876/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352245950&sr=1-2&keywords=Critical+Reasoning+anne+thompson

So that some of the  posters here could learn to work things out for themselves without having to resort to rhetoric Ad nauseam.

post #25 of 55
Quote:

Here's an idea Apple, start using all that suing money for something that will keep customers happy

You're delusional. 

Apple dominates customer satisfaction with all of their products, often by a wide margin, and for years and years now. Every single iPhone and iPad that has ever existed, for example - EVERY SINGLE ONE, has ruled customer satisfaction with an iron fist. 

Just now, Apple was able to sell 3 million iPads in THREE DAYS. 

Happy with Apple gear? No. Consumers aren't just happy. THEY ARE ADDICTED. And they keep wanting more.

Edited by Quadra 610 - 11/6/12 at 4:24pm
post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think I just responded to him. He's the only one that posts just drivel.

Oh come on!! Which one was it?!!

post #27 of 55
Quote:

Here's an idea Apple, start using all that suing money for something that will keep customers happy like maybe quit charging us a $100 more for 16GB more Flash memory in the iPads. How long will they keep that lame price point on those things?? Come on, we all know that flash memory is getting cheaper everyday. I'm sorry but Apple really needs to quit this same old crap that their sh*t don't stink and they will get away with anything they want. I really hope the iPad Mini is a flop because Apple priced it poorly compared to competitors and even it's own products. Don't even get me started on all their overpriced adapters you need for anything you're trying to connect to an Apple product. I've had Macs since '95 and I'm starting to lose faith in Apple and it's big head. I'm so tired too hearing about how Apple might not allow this or that in the App Store, come on, really block better options for your customers??? Their new Maps is pretty but it sucks.

finally someone with sense on here.  I've been an apple user since I bought an ibook back in 2004.  Since then I've bought a macbook, multiple ipods, an iphone, and an ipad.  However, going forward, I don't think I can stomach buying any more apple products.  It used to be that apple's interface was so good that it justified the price premium they charged.  OSX was far better than linux, and I fell in love with expose (I refuse to update my laptop beyond snow leopard, as that's the last version that can still run leopards version of expose). However, in recent years, I've found the interface on apple products hasn't improved significantly, but the competitors have.  If anything, Apple has been focusing on locking down their hardware, locking customers into their ecosystem, and making sure people can't upgrade any apple products without paying a hefty apple tax.  The flash memory pricing is just the start, and the soldering of RAM onto the MBP retina logic boards have ensured I won't buy one,and instead will be buying an ultrabook when I upgrade.  

All the while, apple's competitors are starting to get their shit together.  Android phones seem to be a valid alternative to iOS and offers far cheaper hardware (particularly off contract where carrier subsidies don't count).  In the tablet space, apple has a huge head start, and the iPad is still "the king", but if I were buying a new one, I'd likely lean toward the new Nexus 10 instead.  It just seems like a better product that doesn't try to force the apple way upon me (although I do wish it had an SD slot).  iPods don't really matter much now.. I figure my next phone will be an android phone with an SD slot.  I can buy a 128GB SD card for ~$100 by then, and then I can replace my ipod classic with something that's solid state and cheaper than apple's alternatives.  

It might take a while before other customers realize this, and apple is still #1 is industrial design, but the competition is starting to step up, and I've heard more and more people in the tech industry who are starting to get disgusted with apple's ways.  The lawsuits against any and everyone, the refusal to license patents reasonably, the strong arming of competition, and the seeming belief that they're unstoppable, and above the law.   Apple is becoming arrogant with their lead, and I see in the future ios being limited to a niche market that they have with desktop computers.  Of course, it all depends on if the courts decide to be reasonable and not allow apple to patent the rectangle.

Phil

post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Oh come on!! Which one was it?!!

Patrick Apple.

And I saw the ZZZ sniffing around here the other day as well.

Return of Living Dead.

post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

finally someone with sense on here.  I've been an apple user since I bought an ibook back in 2004.  Since then I've bought a macbook, multiple ipods, an iphone, and an ipad.  However, going forward, I don't think I can stomach buying any more apple products.  It used to be that apple's interface was so good that it justified the price premium they charged.  OSX was far better than linux, and I fell in love with expose (I refuse to update my laptop beyond snow leopard, as that's the last version that can still run leopards version of expose). However, in recent years, I've found the interface on apple products hasn't improved significantly, but the competitors have.  If anything, Apple has been focusing on locking down their hardware, locking customers into their ecosystem, and making sure people can't upgrade any apple products without paying a hefty apple tax.  The flash memory pricing is just the start, and the soldering of RAM onto the MBP retina logic boards have ensured I won't buy one,and instead will be buying an ultrabook when I upgrade.  

All the while, apple's competitors are starting to get their shit together.  Android phones seem to be a valid alternative to iOS and offers far cheaper hardware (particularly off contract where carrier subsidies don't count).  In the tablet space, apple has a huge head start, and the iPad is still "the king", but if I were buying a new one, I'd likely lean toward the new Nexus 10 instead.  It just seems like a better product that doesn't try to force the apple way upon me (although I do wish it had an SD slot).  iPods don't really matter much now.. I figure my next phone will be an android phone with an SD slot.  I can buy a 128GB SD card for ~$100 by then, and then I can replace my ipod classic with something that's solid state and cheaper than apple's alternatives.  

It might take a while before other customers realize this, and apple is still #1 is industrial design, but the competition is starting to step up, and I've heard more and more people in the tech industry who are starting to get disgusted with apple's ways.  The lawsuits against any and everyone, the refusal to license patents reasonably, the strong arming of competition, and the seeming belief that they're unstoppable, and above the law.   Apple is becoming arrogant with their lead, and I see in the future ios being limited to a niche market that they have with desktop computers.  Of course, it all depends on if the courts decide to be reasonable and not allow apple to patent the rectangle.

Phil

The competition is 'stepping it up', because they're imitating Apple.

And Apple's products don't change much from iteration to iteration because they got it right the first time.

"The grass is always greener on the other side".

post #30 of 55
Patrick Apple.

Return of Living Dead.

I have no idea why these accounts are allowed to even LOG IN, much less LOOK AT THREADS. Their group permissions state that this should not be possible, and yet there they are.

post #31 of 55
Quote:

The competition is 'stepping it up', because they're imitating Apple.

And Apple's products don't change much from iteration to iteration because they got it right the first time.

"The grass is always greener on the other side".

"imitating Apple..."

like?
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It puts the lotion on its skin.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

"imitating Apple..."
like?

I'm sorry, Absolute.

It's not my job to educate you.

That was your mom and pop's job.

post #34 of 55
Quote:

Patrick Apple.

Return of Living Dead.

I guess I'm a little confused.  If he's a zombie, why is his post still up?  Ban him, do a techstud-wipe from existence and be done with it.  Am I missing something?

post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I guess I'm a little confused.  If he's a zombie, why is his post still up?  Ban him, do a techstud-wipe from existence and be done with it.  Am I missing something?

Something from the other day (I think it was Sunday) confused me.  Checking who was logged in I found. . .

Tekstud! Seriously. 

How is someone banned still logging in under their username?

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Darn tooting if I invented the door knob I would patent it...and any variation I can think of.

Just because it 'seems' easy and obvious does not make it so. Just as an excersize, off the top of your head, can you describe the inner workings of a door latch and how it works?

Yes, this customer had enough of Apple... enough to buy a rMBP and say wow what a computer!

Samsung's designs still copied most everything from Apple. If you look at what they had BEFORE, and then after going into production for the Apple devices, immediately AFTER, then it's a clear case of cloning.

The argument gets trivialized on "patents for rounded corners" -- but really, the interaction with "pads" is obvious, because everyone quickly took the iPhone and iPad interfaces and adopted them.

I would prefer a more open IP system that rewarded innovation, but didn't prevent others adopting things that are fairly obvious, or necessary. But THIS is the system we live under, and if Apple doesn't defend what they developed, they lose it.

And Samsung is just the biggest IP thief around -- why is everyone cheering for them? You'd at least think there might be a desire for a US company to win, if only for provincial reasons. 

If companies that innovate don't defend themselves, a manufacturing juggernaut like Samsung can just bury them by mass producing their own designs. Then a market gets killed, and innovation is dead -- Samsung still makes money, and is onto the Next IP opportunity to crush. They make all the stuff we used to, in case nobody noticed.

post #37 of 55

These lawsuits against Google is nothing.  Thermonuclear war is flaming up the antitrust issue on Google.   Hopefully, it will receive the same treatment as Microsoft.

post #38 of 55
Quote:

This is no different than every other company. Samsung, Moto etc have sued Apple as much as Apple has sued them.

And Apple has a right to protect their IP, especially nonSEP that they are not legally bound to license that has been violated

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #39 of 55
Quote:

I'm both a customer and a stockholder, and no way have I had enough.  Speak for yourself but not for the rest of us!

post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Something from the other day (I think it was Sunday) confused me.  Checking who was logged in I found. . .

Tekstud! Seriously. 

How is someone banned still logging in under their username?

Yeah, conradjoe and zzz, too. LOL sounds like the forum script isn't done baking yet.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple looks to add Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1, Google's Jelly Bean OS to lawsuit