or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Free Microsoft Office app for iPhone, iPad to be released in early 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Free Microsoft Office app for iPhone, iPad to be released in early 2013

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 
A version of Microsoft Office designed for Apple's iPhone and iPad is now expected to arrive on the iOS App Store in early 2013, offering free document viewing, while a subscription will be needed for editing.

Office


Details on the rumored software were revealed on Wednesday by The Verge, which also obtained screenshots of the software and other details from "several sources close to Microsoft's plans." The "Office Mobile" application will be a free option available on the iOS App Store that will require a Microsoft Office account.

Included in Office Mobile will be Word, PowerPoint and Excel support, while those with an Office 365 subscription will be able to edit documents. Office Mobile is also expected to come to Google's Android platform, though it will debut on Apple's iOS first.

An Office 365 subscription will reportedly be available for purchase through the application, meaning it will comply with Apple's in-app purchase rules for App Store content. Wednesday's report said the subscription will allow for "basic editing" in the application, though it "won't go very far in attempting to replace regular full use of a desktop Office application.

Those who do not purchase an Office 365 subscription will still be able to use the free Office Mobile application for iPhone and iPad for basic viewing of documents.

Last month, a Microsoft product manager in the Czech Republic indicated that the new version of Office for iOS could arrive as soon as March of 2013. A spokesperson for Microsoft declined to give a date, only saying that its Office suite would "work across Windows Phone, iOS and Android."

Office


Rumors of a version of Microsoft Office for iPad have swirled for the past year, and a picture claiming to show a screenshot of the iPad application surfaced this February. One report from late May pegged a specific release date of Nov. 10 for Office for iPad, but recent reports suggest that date will not be met.

AppleInsider also learned earlier this year that Microsoft was working on a new native iOS application for Outlook Web App, called "OWA Mobile Client for iOS," that will offer compatibility with Exchange 2012 mailboxes. It, along with a new version of the Lync application for iOS, will reportedly feature Microsoft's Metro interface, just like Office for iPad is expected to do.
post #2 of 69
Called it.

No, "Office for ARM" just a connection to Office 360 on the web.

Pages continues to have zero competition on iOS (which id kind of sad because they really need some competition to get their fingers out and put out a good product someday).
post #3 of 69
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
…they really need some competition to get their fingers out and put out a good product someday).

 

So what's bad about Pages?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #4 of 69

PowerPoint for iOS: the ultimate presentation tool.

post #5 of 69
BAH - I was really jazzed to hear we'd be getting office apps and was willing to pay for them. However subscription based services tend to be much more expensive in the long run than the app itself unless the recurring costs are below $1/Month/App. Right now the online pricing for Office 365 is $4/month. While $48/Year isn't a lot of money it's still a recurring cost and you don't 'own' the app, you're just renting.

However access to Sharepoint online from the iPad would be pretty freaking cool from an enterprise standpoint if it'd support lists and libraries.
post #6 of 69
Originally Posted by zunx View Post
PowerPoint for iOS: the ultimate presentation tool.

 

PowerPoint is absolute trash compared to Keynote. Has been for YEARS. Or maybe the definition of 'ultimate' has changed.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

PowerPoint for iOS: the ultimate presentation tool.


Keynote is pretty much as good. Some would consider it better. It's the one app in iWorks that is good enough for "enterprise".

post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So what's bad about Pages?

 

I probably over-stated that due to my daily frustrations with Pages.  My stock answer lately is that Pages is a template based program that gives you absolutely no control over the templates.  1smile.gif

 

There are many aspects of Pages that need work IMO however and a lot of it seems like it's about 80% finished.   Generally speaking, aside from the template issue, the fact that the iOS version still lacks many of the features of the OS-X version is a big problem, and the fact that the user doesn't really have much control over document styles is another.   The most frustration however, is generated by the fact that (judging by the almost complete lack of upgrades), the people designing the program apparently think that they are "done." 

 

Development on Pages reminds me of the original iChat.  One person designed the whole thing and was then moved on to other projects.  Minimal "fixes" were then applied by others over a long, long, period wherein no actual development was underway.  Pages kind of feels like that to me.  It arrived in an almost identical state to what it's in now, but full of bugs.  They fix the bugs (slowly), and they added like two slight variations/features over it's entire life and that's it.  It's an almost identical product to it's initial release, both on iOS and OS-X.  

 

The people behind it's development, whoever they are, just don't seem serious to me.   Pages often comes across as a sort of "place holder" app to me, or a tick box item to sell iPads whereas with very little work it could blow Word out of the water.  I guess I just wish the developers would step up and do something with it. 

post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Called it.
No, "Office for ARM" just a connection to Office 360 on the web.
Pages continues to have zero competition on iOS (which id kind of sad because they really need some competition to get their fingers out and put out a good product someday).

 

Have you not seen DocsToGo? Or any of the other office suites out there???

 

The M$ model of "get as much money now as you can because the ship is sinking" ... got to love it.  They need their own Aflac duck, but then again they prob due just with as many times as they keep shooting their foot, the duck can't keep up with all the holes... :)

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

Reply

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

Reply
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So what's bad about Pages?

It isn't Office so it sucks. Some people just have to bitch about something to feel good about themselves.
post #11 of 69
I bet MS tablets will have the full version.
post #12 of 69

Pages is workable, has the basic tools, but anything beyond basic use , IE - I wanted to create labels using a list of names from a spreadsheet (folder labels with names from a data base)  , couldn't do it in pages. Had to use word. 

Numbers on Mac is also very limited - needed to import data from a txt file with comma and space delimited data - Couldn't do it in Numbers (you can , but you have to convert the delimitors to tabs , and then use some macro, copy / paste didn't work for me) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3879328?start=0&tstart=0 

So that forced me to get Office for the Mac, and imported data w. no problems. I understand they want to keep it simple, so they don't include all the bells and whistles , but sometimes to get real work done you need these tools. This probably works for 80% of the people, 80% of the time. But when you hit that case when you can't do what you need, you are screwed.

 

I'd like to see what spreadsheet software the finance / engineers in apple use, im pretty sure it's not numbers. 

 

 

post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I probably over-stated that due to my daily frustrations with Pages.  My stock answer lately is that Pages is a template based program that gives you absolutely no control over the templates.  1smile.gif

 

There are many aspects of Pages that need work IMO however and a lot of it seems like it's about 80% finished.   Generally speaking, aside from the template issue, the fact that the iOS version still lacks many of the features of the OS-X version is a big problem, and the fact that the user doesn't really have much control over document styles is another.   The most frustration however, is generated by the fact that (judging by the almost complete lack of upgrades), the people designing the program apparently think that they are "done." 

 

Development on Pages reminds me of the original iChat.  One person designed the whole thing and was then moved on to other projects.  Minimal "fixes" were then applied by others over a long, long, period wherein no actual development was underway.  Pages kind of feels like that to me.  It arrived in an almost identical state to what it's in now, but full of bugs.  They fix the bugs (slowly), and they added like two slight variations/features over it's entire life and that's it.  It's an almost identical product to it's initial release, both on iOS and OS-X.  

 

The people behind it's development, whoever they are, just don't seem serious to me.   Pages often comes across as a sort of "place holder" app to me, or a tick box item to sell iPads whereas with very little work it could blow Word out of the water.  I guess I just wish the developers would step up and do something with it. 

 

Agreed.

 

Apple's iWork team seems to have fallen asleep at the switch.

 

Btw, what's with basic fonts from Word that never seem to work in Pages!?

post #14 of 69

No way I am going to 'rent' something from these bozos.

 

(Edit: Took out the unfair slam about them not having provided a software update for the rMBP pixelation problem. As pointed out by a couple of folks below, they have, and MS Office now looks great).


Edited by anantksundaram - 11/7/12 at 8:47am
post #15 of 69
Office 360 (or should it be 365?) subscription is cheaper than Google Docs/Apps.

Google Apps does give you free 10 user subscription if you know how to get it.
post #16 of 69
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
My stock answer lately is that Pages is a template based program that gives you absolutely no control over the templates.  1smile.gif

 

Eh?

 

1000

 

Make whatever changes to the file that you want, and then do this. Boom.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #17 of 69

 

 

Quote:

No way I am going to 'rent' something from these bozos.

 

They haven't even issued a basic fix for the pixelated eyesore that passes off for MS Office on the RMBP.

 

There is an update for  MS Office  for rMBP - It looks good. 

See my screen capture of MS with rMBP here : 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s237/sh/f39764be-0e0e-40c6-a458-1205ddc3effa/3b94746b0194240a83e34c21d91c0177

post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I bet MS tablets will have the full version.

 

Not so sure about that, they're bringing subscription to the desktop as well. They know office is the only thing keeping some people on Windows eg: business related ect and they are gasping for air. Not sure about pages I never use it or word but excel is light years ahead of numbers. Numbers is a joke
post #19 of 69
$10 for keeps for Pages or $50 per year for Office. Pages is decent enough. I'll keep Pages.
post #20 of 69

Must get an Office 365 subscription?  Screw that.  Just charge a few bucks for each program or 20 bucks for the whole suite.

post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Eh?

 

.....

 

Make whatever changes to the file that you want, and then do this. Boom.

That's the OSX version not the iOS one.

post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Called it.
No, "Office for ARM" just a connection to Office 360 on the web.
Pages continues to have zero competition on iOS (which id kind of sad because they really need some competition to get their fingers out and put out a good product someday).

I'd say Quickoffice is excellent competition.  In fact because Pages can't access Dropbox (I haven't heard if this has been fixed) I would say that Pages is no competition at all for the vast majority of the world who uses Windows with their iPad.

post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I probably over-stated that due to my daily frustrations with Pages.  My stock answer lately is that Pages is a template based program that gives you absolutely no control over the templates.  1smile.gif

 

There are many aspects of Pages that need work IMO however and a lot of it seems like it's about 80% finished.   Generally speaking, aside from the template issue, the fact that the iOS version still lacks many of the features of the OS-X version is a big problem, and the fact that the user doesn't really have much control over document styles is another.   The most frustration however, is generated by the fact that (judging by the almost complete lack of upgrades), the people designing the program apparently think that they are "done." 

 

Development on Pages reminds me of the original iChat.  One person designed the whole thing and was then moved on to other projects.  Minimal "fixes" were then applied by others over a long, long, period wherein no actual development was underway.  Pages kind of feels like that to me.  It arrived in an almost identical state to what it's in now, but full of bugs.  They fix the bugs (slowly), and they added like two slight variations/features over it's entire life and that's it.  It's an almost identical product to it's initial release, both on iOS and OS-X.  

 

The people behind it's development, whoever they are, just don't seem serious to me.   Pages often comes across as a sort of "place holder" app to me, or a tick box item to sell iPads whereas with very little work it could blow Word out of the water.  I guess I just wish the developers would step up and do something with it. 


The management structure may have something to do with this. Before, Federighi and Forstall controlled MacOS and iOS separately. So who took ownership of apps, particularly those on both platforms. We now have Federighi in charge of iOS and MacOS. Perhaps he will take total ownership but will he have time?

post #24 of 69
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
That's the OSX version not the iOS one.

 

Oh, right, right. I definitely agree that both versions should have feature parity.

 

Document appearance parity shouldn't even be an ISSUE, but it is thanks to Microsoft's inability. That then extends to all other companies' work…

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No way I am going to 'rent' something from these bozos.

 

They haven't even issued a basic fix for the pixelated eyesore that passes off for MS Office on the RMBP.

 

They sure have. In fact, even before their official upgrade, there was an easy "fix". The Bozos are ahead of you, I guess.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny Islam View Post

 

 

 

There is an update for  MS Office  for rMBP - It looks good. 

See my screen capture of MS with rMBP here : 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s237/sh/f39764be-0e0e-40c6-a458-1205ddc3effa/3b94746b0194240a83e34c21d91c0177


Yup. It's a beaut.

post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last month, a Microsoft product manager in the Czech Republic indicated (...)
I guess that the Verge failed to notice the rather plain denial posted over their initial story : "the information shared by our Czech subsidiary is not accurate".

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/10/3483076/office-for-ipad-ios-android-2013
post #27 of 69

So M$ next great idea to make more money is to make you rent their office productivity tools, and if is web base it is probably not much better than google docs.

 

My biggest complaint about Office for years was it did way too much, it was trying to compete in too many markets so you got this overly complicated mess. Grant it the new version tried to simplify it, but it too is a mess and hard to work with. I hated paying the big $ for M$ products since they cause me to waste more time trying to figures things out. However, renting a web base program that you know if going to be a mess is adding insult to injury.

 

To day I just use quick off to view document is works well and does not cost too much.

post #28 of 69
What about the Microsoft SkyDrive app for iPhone that already allows you to view docs?
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

PowerPoint for iOS: the ultimate presentation tool.

What's wrong with Keynote?

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

 

They sure have. In fact, even before their official upgrade, there was an easy "fix". The Bozos are ahead of you, I guess.

 


Yup. It's a beaut.

Link?

 

Add: Found it. Thanks. (Hope it works!).

 

Further add: Wow. It looks good. Thank you.


Edited by anantksundaram - 11/7/12 at 8:45am
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

 

Have you not seen DocsToGo? 

 

 

 

I agree. Use DocsToGo from dataviz.com for basic Word and Excel editing on Macs, iPhones, and iPads. $10

 

The premium version is $17 that includes PowerPoint editing. 

 

The Mac app can sync between Macs and PCs.

post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny Islam View Post

 needed to import data from a txt file with comma and space delimited data - Couldn't do it in Numbers (you can , but you have to convert the delimitors to tabs , and then use some macro, copy / paste didn't work for me

 

 

Funny, I just imported a CSV file into Numbers and it worked just fine. 

post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'd say Quickoffice is excellent competition.  In fact because Pages can't access Dropbox (I haven't heard if this has been fixed) I would say that Pages is no competition at all for the vast majority of the world who uses Windows with their iPad.

 

I've heard quickOffice is good, but every time I look at screenshots of it or watch a video of someone using it, I can't see it.  It just looks like a mess to me and not a "hot mess" either. 1smile.gif

 

Re: Dropbox, I think because you (obviously) think well of it that it's distorting the world for you.  Dropbox is not as popular as you think and outside of the USA it's useless for many purposes.  For instance in Canada and most of Europe, using DropBox for any kind of government job or anything in the education field would violate some fairly serious privacy and data protection laws.  

 

Personally, I think it's way over-rated even if you live in the USA and can use it.  It seems like every time I see a computer that's crawling like a snail and I have to figure out why, DropBox is turning out to be the culprit lately.  

 

It's very very popular at the moment, but I think this is unjustified, at least partially.  I find many users of DropBox actually have no idea what it really is or does.  They tell me they are using it "because everyone is now," but often aren't even aware that it's syncing 30GB of documents to the cloud in the background, or that there is even a "cloud" involved.  A lot of folks are signing up for the service and putting all their docs in there so they can "share" them with other dropbox users, even though they are only using a single computer themselves.  This leads to a general slow-down of their computer, when in fact they don't actually need the service at all and could just as easily email a document the odd time they need to share something.  

 

I'm not talking about the average idiot either, these are people with multiple degrees etc.  Product popularity is not equal to product quality, or product efficacy.  

post #34 of 69
Isn't this basically Google Docs, for a fee?
post #35 of 69
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
Isn't this basically Google Docs, for a fee?

 

That Ribbon is expensive.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslusher View Post

Funny, I just imported a CSV file into Numbers and it worked just fine. 

I really like Numbers and virtually never use Excel or Neo Office. Occasionally I have to dip in to either in order to get a conversion to work (dates!). But it amazes me that all the work that went into iWorks originally has not been built upon. There should be an annual upgrade cycle. We don't need a million new features but we need improvements and tweaks in order to make the suite a viable alternative to Office. Apple also needs to show that the suite is here for the long haul. And it should be marketed better. I bet you a considerable percentage of Mac users have no idea about iWorks apps.

 

(I am talking OSX by the way. Never use those apps on IOS)

post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So what's bad about Pages?

 

I probably over-stated that due to my daily frustrations with Pages.  My stock answer lately is that Pages is a template based program that gives you absolutely no control over the templates.  1smile.gif

 

There are many aspects of Pages that need work IMO however and a lot of it seems like it's about 80% finished.   Generally speaking, aside from the template issue, the fact that the iOS version still lacks many of the features of the OS-X version is a big problem, and the fact that the user doesn't really have much control over document styles is another.   The most frustration however, is generated by the fact that (judging by the almost complete lack of upgrades), the people designing the program apparently think that they are "done." 

 

Development on Pages reminds me of the original iChat.  One person designed the whole thing and was then moved on to other projects.  Minimal "fixes" were then applied by others over a long, long, period wherein no actual development was underway.  Pages kind of feels like that to me.  It arrived in an almost identical state to what it's in now, but full of bugs.  They fix the bugs (slowly), and they added like two slight variations/features over it's entire life and that's it.  It's an almost identical product to it's initial release, both on iOS and OS-X.  

 

The people behind it's development, whoever they are, just don't seem serious to me.   Pages often comes across as a sort of "place holder" app to me, or a tick box item to sell iPads whereas with very little work it could blow Word out of the water.  I guess I just wish the developers would step up and do something with it. 

 

+++ QFT Well said! I agree completely!  Do it Apple -- the time is NOW!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That Ribbon is expensive.

Must be hand woven by stomping Steve himself.

post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

PowerPoint is absolute trash compared to Keynote. Has been for YEARS. Or maybe the definition of 'ultimate' has changed.

If you need compatibility with 99% of the world, then PowerPoint is the way. Unfortunately, but that is the fact!

post #40 of 69
Originally Posted by zunx View Post
If you need compatibility with 99% of the world, then PowerPoint is the way. Unfortunately, but that is the fact!

 

1000

 

You mean 70% of the world.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Free Microsoft Office app for iPhone, iPad to be released in early 2013
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Free Microsoft Office app for iPhone, iPad to be released in early 2013