or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Welcome back to reality. We've missed you here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Welcome back to reality. We've missed you here.

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 

The conservative-constructed parallel universe--in which Obama is a Kenyan Socialist Nazi Muslim Atheist hellbent to destroy Democracy--was shattered by a clear mandate from the American people yesterday.  President Obama won by 2.8 million in the popular vote while dominating the electoral college--332 to 203 when Florida's results are finally confirmed.

 

Nate Silver was objectively right.  Karl Rove and Dick Morris were objectively living in a fantasy world.  It's time for Republicans to finally come out and face that reality.  The conservative bubble is real and they need to break free from it, lest reality continue to shock them again and again.

 

President Obama is a pragmatic centrist.  His policies would be quite right of center if he were the leader of any Western European nation.  

 

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Evolution is real.  Global climate change is real.  

 

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Green energy is the future.  Unnatural sources of CO2 are warming the planet and acidifying the oceans.  

 

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Obamacare was a Republican plan.  The individual mandate was a Republican idea.  

 

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

The people have spoken.  Almost half the country will vote for a liar and defend to the death that their candidate's trustworthiness is beyond reproach.  He'll claim that Chrysler is shipping all their jobs overseas, and when contradicted by the company itself, he'll double down on that now proven lie.  And almost half the country ate it up.  

 

The key--almost halfNot quite half.  2.8 million people short.  

 

That in and of itself is scary for those who live in an evidence-based reality.  However, a majority of the American electorate stood up and said no to the lies. 

 

It's time that Republicans stop pretending they are entitled to an alternative reality that doesn't coincide with the facts and evidence of the world literally underneath their feet.

 

It's time to rejoin the rest of the world in the actual, observable universe.  Please.  Please come back.  We've missed you here.  

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #2 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The conservative-constructed parallel universe--in which Obama is a Kenyan Socialist Nazi Muslim Atheist hellbent to destroy Democracy--was shattered by a clear mandate from the American people yesterday.  President Obama won by 2.8 million in the popular vote while dominating the electoral college--332 to 203 when Florida's results are finally confirmed.

 

Nate Silver was objectively right.  Karl Rove and Dick Morris were objectively living in a fantasy world.  It's time for Republicans to finally come out and face that reality.  The conservative bubble is real and they need to break free from it, lest reality continue to shock them again and again.

 

President Obama is a pragmatic centrist.  His policies would be quite right of center if he were the leader of any Western European nation.  

 

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Evolution is real.  Global climate change is real.  

 

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Green energy is the future.  Unnatural sources of CO2 are warming the planet and acidifying the oceans.  

 

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Obamacare was a Republican plan.  The individual mandate was a Republican idea.  

 

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

The people have spoken.  Almost half the country will vote for a liar and defend to the death that their candidate's trustworthiness is beyond reproach.  He'll claim that Chrysler is shipping all their jobs overseas, and when contradicted by the company itself, he'll double down on that now proven lie.  And almost half the country ate it up.  

 

The key--almost halfNot quite half.  2.8 million people short.  

 

That in and of itself is scary for those who live in an evidence-based reality.  However, a majority of the American electorate stood up and said no to the lies. 

 

It's time that Republicans stop pretending they are entitled to an alternative reality that doesn't coincide with the facts and evidence of the world literally underneath their feet.

 

It's time to rejoin the rest of the world in the actual, observable universe.  Please.  Please come back.  We've missed you here.  

Excellent post!

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The conservative-constructed parallel universe--in which Obama is a Kenyan Socialist Nazi Muslim Atheist hellbent to destroy Democracy--was shattered by a clear mandate from the American people yesterday.  President Obama won by 2.8 million in the popular vote while dominating the electoral college--332 to 203 when Florida's results are finally confirmed.

 

Nate Silver was objectively right.  Karl Rove and Dick Morris were objectively living in a fantasy world.  It's time for Republicans to finally come out and face that reality.  The conservative bubble is real and they need to break free from it, lest reality continue to shock them again and again.

 

President Obama is a pragmatic centrist.  His policies would be quite right of center if he were the leader of any Western European nation.  

 

It's easy to buy an election for $5 trillion dollars. Obama was claimed to win Ohio as an example because of the auto bailouts. Those bailouts cost more than $25 billion dollars. You take that times the number of votes as an example in a few swing states, and Obama's vote buying is very expensive for America.

 

The reality is that the dollars Obama spends to buy his votes can't be sustained much longer and the bill is coming due in a big way right after the new year.

 

 

Quote:

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Evolution is real.  Global climate change is real.  

 

I'd love for you to find me an exit poll where those issues were top 5.

 

Quote:

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Green energy is the future.  Unnatural sources of CO2 are warming the planet and acidifying the oceans.  

 

Again you talk about reality and then project your agenda onto an election that had nothing to do with these issues.

 

 

Quote:

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

Obamacare was a Republican plan.  The individual mandate was a Republican idea.  

 

The reality is that most of Obamacare doesn't take effect until after he starts his second term and the mandate doesn't take effect until 2014.

 

 

Quote:

It's time that Republicans acknowledge that reality.

 

The people have spoken.  Almost half the country will vote for a liar and defend to the death that their candidate's trustworthiness is beyond reproach.  He'll claim that Chrysler is shipping all their jobs overseas, and when contradicted by the company itself, he'll double down on that now proven lie.  And almost half the country ate it up.  

 

Yes and the other half will call their friends on their Obama-phones, take out their EBT cards and go buy some lobster to celebrate another four years of extended unemployment benefits, and other transfer payments.

 

 

Quote:
The key--almost halfNot quite half.  2.8 million people short.  

 

That in and of itself is scary for those who live in an evidence-based reality.  However, a majority of the American electorate stood up and said no to the lies. 

 

It's time that Republicans stop pretending they are entitled to an alternative reality that doesn't coincide with the facts and evidence of the world literally underneath their feet.

 

It's time to rejoin the rest of the world in the actual, observable universe.  Please.  Please come back.  We've missed you here.  

 

 

They didn't say no to the lies. They said yes to the BUYS as in having their vote bought with all manner of goodies paid for by someone else.

 

It's time to stop pretending that borrowing $5 trillion dollars, spending one out of every four dollars in the economy and borrowing one out of every three government dollars spent to get less than two percent economic growth is PROGRESS.

 

As for the rest of the world. They are in recession or quickly heading there. Many major currencies like the EURO are backed by even bigger lies and problems than our own and they have massive demographic and institutional problems.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #4 of 38
Your economic claims ring terribly flawed when you consider the FACT that the European countries that are in the deepest crisis are the European countries that have gone the "austerity" path. The problem with austerity past a certain point is that once the government stops spending, businesses stop spending, and once businesses stop spending, individuals stop spending. This is exactly what happened in Greece. Forget the fiscal cliff, this is the fiscal brick wall.

Question for you... When the government spends money, does the money disappear?

Happen to know of one particular member of these boards whose salary is partially paid for by the California State government. How hilarious it would have been had that person been downsized because Governor Brown's 0.25% sales tax/tax increase on the wealthy earning over $250k had failed. Wonder who he would have left to blame then. Keep in mind that music programs would be among the first to go.

Except it wouldn't have been hilarious because my daughter will be attending SDHS IBP starting next year and parts of her program would definitely have been cut. Thank god California voters had enough sense to pay a little more, save my daughter's education and in the process possibly save Nick's job (you're welcome!)

It must be a gas in the copy room at Nick's school when he loudly trumpets out his opinion that he would rather risk losing his job and the jobs of his colleagues than ask rich people to give a little more!
Edited by tonton - 11/7/12 at 10:39pm
post #5 of 38
So according to Trumptman, the auto bailouts were solely for the purpose of "buying" the election. According to him, we should have shut them down and added all those people to the unemployment lines. That would have gone over well!

Like BR points out, if you want your party to be competitive, you need a better grasp on reality.
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So according to Trumptman, the auto bailouts were solely for the purpose of "buying" the election. According to him, we should have shut them down and added all those people to the unemployment lines. That would have gone over well!
Like BR points out, if you want your party to be competitive, you need a better grasp on reality.

 

 

It would have helped the GOP argument that Obama failed and increased unemployment.

 

Do recall that Mittens said that he wanted liberal policies to fail...  yep, he wanted the president's policies to hurt the American people.  And he got almost half the vote.

 

It's in here, towards the end:

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/mitt-romney-speech_n_1848806.html

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #7 of 38

I guess this is the best place:  hopefully, Fox will stop lying now.

 

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/07/fox_discovers_constant_lying_isnt_consistently_effective_electoral_strategy/

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #8 of 38

Trumpton is living in his own utopia. His is talking right through his ass with these dumb remarks about Obama and the auto bailout. He has more intelligence than this.

post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Your economic claims ring terribly flawed when you consider the FACT that the European countries that are in the deepest crisis are the European countries that have gone the "austerity" path. The problem with austerity past a certain point is that once the government stops spending, businesses stop spending, and once businesses stop spending, individuals stop spending. This is exactly what happened in Greece. Forget the fiscal cliff, this is the fiscal brick wall.
Question for you... When the government spends money, does the money disappear?
Happen to know of one particular member of these boards whose salary is partially paid for by the California State government. How hilarious it would have been had that person been downsized because Governor Brown's 0.25% sales tax/tax increase on the wealthy earning over $250k had failed. Wonder who he would have left to blame then. Keep in mind that music programs would be among the first to go.
Except it wouldn't have been hilarious because my daughter will be attending SDHS IBP starting next year and parts of her program would definitely have been cut. Thank god California voters had enough sense to pay a little more, save my daughter's education and in the process possibly save Nick's job (you're welcome!)
It must be a gas in the copy room at Nick's school when he loudly trumpets out his opinion that he would rather risk losing his job and the jobs of his colleagues than ask rich people to give a little more!

 

 

Pure fantasy. None of them have made a real effort to do "austerity". They certainly didn't do it before the crisis. It's like going into bankruptcy court, cutting up one of your credit card and then telling the judge "cutting costs doesn't work".

post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Your economic claims ring terribly flawed when you consider the FACT that the European countries that are in the deepest crisis are the European countries that have gone the "austerity" path. The problem with austerity past a certain point is that once the government stops spending, businesses stop spending, and once businesses stop spending, individuals stop spending. This is exactly what happened in Greece. Forget the fiscal cliff, this is the fiscal brick wall.

 

Welcome back by the way, even if it is to gloat. Floorjack hit this perfectly below so read his very succinct answer.

Quote:
Question for you... When the government spends money, does the money disappear?

Happen to know of one particular member of these boards whose salary is partially paid for by the California State government. How hilarious it would have been had that person been downsized because Governor Brown's 0.25% sales tax/tax increase on the wealthy earning over $250k had failed. Wonder who he would have left to blame then. Keep in mind that music programs would be among the first to go.

Except it wouldn't have been hilarious because my daughter will be attending a high school starting next year and parts of her program would definitely have been cut. Thank god California voters had enough sense to pay a little more, save my daughter's education and in the process possibly save Nick's job (you're welcome!)

It must be a gas in the copy room at Nick's school when he loudly trumpets out his opinion that he would rather risk losing his job and the jobs of his colleagues than ask rich people to give a little more!

 

Does the money disappear. In some ways yes and in other ways it causes future dollars and returns to disappear. If the dollar taken would have been invested in something that would get a return or to pay an employee for productive work, then it has indeed caused future dollars to disappear and stopped future growth.

 

If the dollar is spent properly for education and infrastructure then it can have a multiplier effect. However if you spend some time in California and especially if you visit California's conservative neighbors, you will see that is not the case. California has the highest sales tax and highest income tax rates in the nation now and they were first of top three before the increase. They are in the bottom five for education spending per pupil. The difference isn't because we don't take in the money, it is because they don't send it to education and when they do, they send it in a top down manner that gets fewer dollars to the classroom.

 

FYI, I edited the name of the school out of quote and I hope you will do the same for the initial post. While you are familiar with me as a poster and probably with most posters on the forum, who knows who lurks out there and better to be safe than sorry regarding your child's privacy. I hope for the best for her but most education cuts have merely been shifts in funds. General education is being cut but interventions and dollars spent mainstreaming special needs children are the biggest money grabs right now and grow every year. We've talked about the California system and how it might really discriminate against your daughter with regard to top UC schools and her Chinese and white ancestry.

 

As for me and my job, a few points, one I'm getting a few miles on the odometer and because of that and the current system, I'm far enough up on the seniority ranks that they would have to be burning down the school buildings to collect the insurance money before I would be laid off. Second if that weren't the case I'd still be a valuable and kept employee because my kids learn disproportionately compared to other teachers and score very well on state tests. Finally if the education system were private, I have no doubt I would attract the same amount or more money in terms of salary and students/clientele. When it comes to demographics, the UC schools mentioned before have way to many of your daughter as an example and so they turn them away while letting in other demographics meeting lower standards. My demographic is pretty rare in education (only 5% of elementary school teachers are men) and as such I'm snagged pretty quick no matter the occasion.

 

Thanks for your heartfelt concern though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So according to Trumptman, the auto bailouts were solely for the purpose of "buying" the election. According to him, we should have shut them down and added all those people to the unemployment lines. That would have gone over well!

Like BR points out, if you want your party to be competitive, you need a better grasp on reality.

 

They wouldn't have liquidated the automakers. They would have resumed making cars but discharged their debts. Their debts are union contracts and union pension obligations. Obama claimed Romney would have let them go bankrupt but Obama still let them go bankrupt as well. He took them through bankruptcy court as well but what he did was keep the pension obligations, pay for them with federal money. He took all the secured debts, moved them to a shell company, shafted them, and took the new company flush with union workers and federal dollars out of "bankruptcy" court. I use the quotations because in a proper bankruptcy, secured debts have first claim over unsecured debts and Obama ignored the rule of law for political gain.

 

Understand that what Obama did was akin to an Enron. If it were the private sector, you'd be screaming he should be put in jail. The secured debt holders wouldn't want the companies liquidated. That makes it harder to get their full loans back. It would have just been reorganized. The pension and union obligations would have been shed, especially since they were unsecured and the causes of the companies being insolvent. The companies would have resumed making and selling cars with much better agreements an at a profit. The claim that they would disappear forever is pure nonsense. Six Flags as an example went through bankruptcy at around the same time. They didn't shut down a single theme park. You can still go to Magic Mountain tomorrow.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It would have helped the GOP argument that Obama failed and increased unemployment.

 

Do recall that Mittens said that he wanted liberal policies to fail...  yep, he wanted the president's policies to hurt the American people.  And he got almost half the vote.

 

It's in here, towards the end:

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/mitt-romney-speech_n_1848806.html

 

Obama's policies have been hurting the American people. They just haven't gotten the bill yet and so they don't realize the harm. If your friend was letting you crash at his place while you were down on your luck, you'd consider him a good friend. That is you would until six months later when he moves out right after you get a job paying $50k and leaves you a letter detailing how he had taken a credit card out in your name and paid the apartment rent on for the six months you were there and felt justified in his actions. You'd feel much worse after the letter and thanks to the debt, be worse off. During the six months though, you thought this friend was really helping you.

 

The American people have been bought off with transfer payments and growth that has us near 8% unemployment. What will their tax rate be and what will the unemployment rate be when the taxes have to raise to pay off the $5 trillion all ready borrowed and the project $4-5 trillion borrowed in his second term? That is near or at 100% of GDP borrowed in two terms. How does that help anyone when the problems aren't solved?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Pure fantasy. None of them have made a real effort to do "austerity". They certainly didn't do it before the crisis. It's like going into bankruptcy court, cutting up one of your credit card and then telling the judge "cutting costs doesn't work".

 

This is pure awesome.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #11 of 38

I'm afraid that even a plea for sanity to the far right let's please mend things and work together ( that means both sides not just one viewpoint running the show ) is lost on them. Sad really. Of course they're still sore from the election so maybe over time........

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I'm afraid that even a plea for sanity to the far right let's please mend things and work together ( that means both sides not just one viewpoint running the show ) is lost on them. Sad really. Of course they're still sore from the election so maybe over time........

 

Is talking down to them your way of mending things and "working together"?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I'm afraid that even a plea for sanity to the far right let's please mend things and work together ( that means both sides not just one viewpoint running the show ) is lost on them. Sad really. Of course they're still sore from the election so maybe over time........

 

Is talking down to them your way of mending things and "working together"?

I suppose if they insist on taking anything I say that way. 1rolleyes.gif I'll give them the benifit of a doubt though because of the still being sore over the election thing. They have been just recently been proven very wrong on how they thought the opinion of the country views them after all. It's just me using that as a basis for let's drop all the rhetoric and swaggering and get down to busisness. There's an awful lot to do and it's going to take both of us. I did say both sides after all. I notice everytime I do however that point seems lost to some.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

 

Is talking down to them your way of mending things and "working together"?

 

Well...he is a liberal...and takes his cues from the top liberal of the time: Obama. So, probably, yes.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

 

Is talking down to them your way of mending things and "working together"?

 

Well...he is a liberal...and takes his cues from the top liberal of the time: Obama. So, probably, yes.

See what I mean?1oyvey.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I suppose if they insist on taking anything I say that way. 1rolleyes.gif I'll give them the benifit of a doubt though because of the still being sore over the election thing. They have been just recently been proven very wrong on how they thought the opinion of the country views them after all. It's just me using that as a basis for let's drop all the rhetoric and swaggering and get down to busisness. There's an awful lot to do and it's going to take both of us. I did say both sides after all. I notice everytime I do however that point seems lost to some.

 

The problem is, Obama and the Democrats' idea of "working together" has been the Democrats deciding what will be done and the Republicans saying "yes" to it.

 

If that is your idea of "working together", you can see why there would be some resistance to that, can't you?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

See what I mean?1oyvey.gif

 

Your condescending tone and gloating over the past few days hasn't helped you.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #18 of 38
Thread Starter 

You seriously are going to cry about a condescending tone?  Look at the VITRIOL that has been SPEWING from conservatives over the last decade.  They call themselves "real" Americans and their campaign against Obama was quite possibly the LARGEST STRAWMAN ARGUMENT OF ALL TIME.  They need to eat some motherfucking humble pie.  They need to get their noses wiped in the mess they made.  They have divided this country and have pretended to live in a fantasy parallel universe.  Conservatives this last decade have essentially given a deafening perpetual cuntfuck you to more than half the country.  They were wrong and need to admit they were wrong and I will not stop hounding them until they do so.  

 

Had they come out after the election and said, "yeah, guess Nate Silver was right and Dick Morris was full of shit", it'd be different.

 

Had they come out after the election and said, "yeah, Romney really did run a dirty campaign and cared little for the truth", it'd be different.

 

No, they got the candidate they deserved--and they were just as prepared as he was to lose.  Romney had no concession speech written but had really classy fireworks lined up for a victory gloating.  So did, metaphorically, the conservatives on this board.

 

So, in short, I don't give a **** about your righteous indignation.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #19 of 38

BR, your hatred has made you strong.  Now take your weapon and strike down Biden, taking your place at Obama's side.  It is your destiny.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So according to Trumptman, the auto bailouts were solely for the purpose of "buying" the election. According to him, we should have shut them down and added all those people to the unemployment lines. That would have gone over well!

 

No-one was advocating shutting Detroit down. That you can blatantly lie like this is amazing.

 

Romney advocated a regular bankruptcy, with everyone sharing the pain.

Obama's bankruptcy used tax dollars, "shut down" the bondholders and secured creditors, and handed part-ownership to the unions.

 

Then liberals turn around and ask stupid things like "why aren't the banks lending money to business anymore?"

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I suppose if they insist on taking anything I say that way. 1rolleyes.gif I'll give them the benifit of a doubt though because of the still being sore over the election thing. They have been just recently been proven very wrong on how they thought the opinion of the country views them after all. It's just me using that as a basis for let's drop all the rhetoric and swaggering and get down to busisness. There's an awful lot to do and it's going to take both of us. I did say both sides after all. I notice everytime I do however that point seems lost to some.

 

The problem is, Obama and the Democrats' idea of "working together" has been the Democrats deciding what will be done and the Republicans saying "yes" to it.

 

If that is your idea of "working together", you can see why there would be some resistance to that, can't you?

My idea certainly isn't the Republicans simply saying " No " to everything that wasn't their idea or something they'd have to compromise on. Why do you think they're called the party of " No "? That's not working together that's simply digging in your heels and being childish about it. And it's already starting to backfire. The GOP has a long in the tooth image of america. Stuck in the 1950's they're hardly equiped to look forward to the 2050's. If you don't believe me just watch. If they continue to just say no they will become very unpopular. And elections for them are coming up in just 2 years.

 

An opinion piece on the subject :

 

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

BR, your hatred has made you strong.  Now take your weapon and strike down Biden, taking your place at Obama's side.  It is your destiny.  

Ah! I see the hate in you swelling ( after the election ). Take your weapon and strike the evil Obama down and take your place at Romney's side.1wink.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

See what I mean?1oyvey.gif

 

Your condescending tone and gloating over the past few days hasn't helped you.

Evidently you don't see what I mean. MJ's comment was totally unwarranted. Sure I had a little fun with SDW and trumpy because they've been so arrogant on the subject of them thinking they're always right and I'm wrong ( just look at some of their comments towards me or some of MJ's for that matter talk about condescending ). Now that it's clearly disproved I had to say something. That has nothing to do with this however. Come on Jazzy show that you're different from the Republicans here and have a little open mind.

 

Come to think of it I've held out the olive branch to you more than once ( asking if your name indicated you like Jazz as I do ) all I got was silence.


Edited by jimmac - 11/8/12 at 4:21pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Evidently you don't see what I mean. MJ's comment was totally unwarranted. Sure I had a little fun with SDW and trumpy because they've been so arrogant on the subject of them thinking they're always right and I'm wrong ( just look at some of their comments towards me or some of MJ's for that matter talk about condescending ). Now that it's clearly disproved I had to say something. That has nothing to do with this however. Come on Jazzy show that you're different from the Republicans here and have a little open mind.

 

Come to think of it I've held out the olive branch to you more than once ( asking if your name indicated you like Jazz as I do ) all I got was silence.

 

The issue is not necessarily how much you're right and how much you're wrong.  It's that when you're right, it's a lucky guess.  It's unfortunate for you, really, because when you just happen to be the stopped clock at the right time, you come away thinking that your reasoning is sound.  This election is a perfect example.  You'll come away thinking that it's explained by your "cycles" meme, when in reality it had little to do with anything like that, if anything at all.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

The issue is not necessarily how much you're right and how much you're wrong.  It's that when you're right, it's a lucky guess.  It's unfortunate for you, really, because when you just happen to be the stopped clock at the right time, you come away thinking that your reasoning is sound.  This election is a perfect example.  You'll come away thinking that it's explained by your "cycles" meme, when in reality it had little to do with anything like that, if anything at all.  

Funny how many lucky guesses the people you disagree with blunder upon, isn't it?  

post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal1 View Post

Funny how many lucky guesses the people you disagree with blunder upon, isn't it?  

 

I realize you think that's clever, but it's really just jimmac in this case.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Evidently you don't see what I mean. MJ's comment was totally unwarranted. Sure I had a little fun with SDW and trumpy because they've been so arrogant on the subject of them thinking they're always right and I'm wrong ( just look at some of their comments towards me or some of MJ's for that matter talk about condescending ). Now that it's clearly disproved I had to say something. That has nothing to do with this however. Come on Jazzy show that you're different from the Republicans here and have a little open mind.

 

Come to think of it I've held out the olive branch to you more than once ( asking if your name indicated you like Jazz as I do ) all I got was silence.

 

I'm not sure what characteristics you've attributed to "the Republicans" in your own mind, but I would think it's quite apparent to anyone paying attention how different my political philosophy is from a mainstream establishment Republican's.

 

Yes, I like jazz.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #28 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

I realize you think that's clever, but it's really just jimmac in this case.  

Who was right all along while you were hopelessly wrong.  What's that say about you, given your low opinion of him?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Nate Silver was objectively right.  Karl Rove and Dick Morris were objectively living in a fantasy world.  It's time for Republicans to finally come out and face that reality.  The conservative bubble is real and they need to break free from it, lest reality continue to shock them again and again.

 

 

What was Einstein's definition of madness? Romney kept telling us that he was going to fix the unemployment problem. Guess what? Latino and Asian unemployment does not exist. They are all working. In fact even the illegal aliens from Latin America who speak no English with no education who arrived here with no money are 100% employed. What unemployment problem? The unemployed rednecks who voted for Romney don't want to work anyway. Romney had zero traction with Latinos and Asians. That is the reality they need to get through their thick skulls. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What was Einstein's definition of madness? Romney kept telling us that he was going to fix the unemployment problem. Guess what? Latino and Asian unemployment does not exist. They are all working. In fact even the illegal aliens from Latin America who speak no English with no education who arrived here with no money are 100% employed. What unemployment problem? The unemployed rednecks who voted for Romney don't want to work anyway. Romney had zero traction with Latinos and Asians. That is the reality they need to get through their thick skulls. 

 

Unemployment Rates Highest Amongst Black And Latinos

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

 

Unemployment Rates Highest Amongst Black And Latinos

Blacks I agree have a higher rate of unemployment but the Latino number is misleading, at least for Southern California where I have some familiarity. With Latinos there is a large percentage of labor for cash which includes most gardening and house cleaning, therefore does not register with employment numbers. Many Latino women also are more likely to stay at home and are not looking for work compared to some other demographics.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Blacks I agree have a higher rate of unemployment but the Latino number is misleading, at least for Southern California where I have some familiarity. With Latinos there is a large percentage of labor for cash which includes most gardening and house cleaning, therefore does not register with employment numbers. Many Latino women also are more likely to stay at home and are not looking for work compared to some other demographics.

 

Your anecdotal evidence does nothing to support your false claim that Latino unemployment "does not exist".

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Evidently you don't see what I mean. MJ's comment was totally unwarranted. Sure I had a little fun with SDW and trumpy because they've been so arrogant on the subject of them thinking they're always right and I'm wrong ( just look at some of their comments towards me or some of MJ's for that matter talk about condescending ). Now that it's clearly disproved I had to say something. That has nothing to do with this however. Come on Jazzy show that you're different from the Republicans here and have a little open mind.

 

Come to think of it I've held out the olive branch to you more than once ( asking if your name indicated you like Jazz as I do ) all I got was silence.

 

The issue is not necessarily how much you're right and how much you're wrong.  It's that when you're right, it's a lucky guess.  It's unfortunate for you, really, because when you just happen to be the stopped clock at the right time, you come away thinking that your reasoning is sound.  This election is a perfect example.  You'll come away thinking that it's explained by your "cycles" meme, when in reality it had little to do with anything like that, if anything at all.  

This without trying to toot my own horn so to speak :

 

Quote:

 It's that when you're right, it's a lucky guess

Is the biggest flaw in your logic. It should be obvious by now and yet you still try to cling to this notion that I couldn't be correct in my analysis of the situation and you're wrong in this instance. In your mind it's clear that can't happen. That's the attitude of a closed mind. After all I'm sure there are subjects where your judgment is far superior to mine. That's just the way life is. You can't be right about everything and you should be willing to look in the mirror and question yourself without being afraid to do so. Think about it for awhile SDW. And I mean really consider it. There are lots of people here who have a better take on this than either one of us. You just have to know sometimes you're correct but not every time. Sometimes someone has a better grasp of what's going on in spite of it going against you personal philosophy. 

 

PS. I was addressing jazzguru not you with my original statement by the way.


Edited by jimmac - 11/9/12 at 10:48am
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #34 of 38
Quote:Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Evidently you don't see what I mean. MJ's comment was totally unwarranted. Sure I had a little fun with SDW and trumpy because they've been so arrogant on the subject of them thinking they're always right and I'm wrong ( just look at some of their comments towards me or some of MJ's for that matter talk about condescending ). Now that it's clearly disproved I had to say something. That has nothing to do with this however. Come on Jazzy show that you're different from the Republicans here and have a little open mind.

 

Come to think of it I've held out the olive branch to you more than once ( asking if your name indicated you like Jazz as I do ) all I got was silence.

 

I'm not sure what characteristics you've attributed to "the Republicans" in your own mind, but I would think it's quite apparent to anyone paying attention how different my political philosophy is from a mainstream establishment Republican's.

 

 

Quote:

I'm not sure what characteristics you've attributed to "the Republicans" in your own mind, but I would think it's quite apparent to anyone paying attention how different my political philosophy is from a mainstream establishment Republican's.

Fair enough.

 

 

Quote:
Yes, I like jazz.

 

Cool! So do I. I grew up with it as my dad played in a local band when he was younger ( Trumpet, Trombone, and piano ).  My dad was also into Stereo equipment as well ( that's where I get my interest in AV equipment ). I can still remember when I was a kid you could hear Jazz music just coming up the street to our house. I like a lot of stuff from big band to progressive to fusion. So I really love Jazz.

 

Now see that's  really good starting point. I'm sure we don't agree on everything but there's got to be a middle ground somewhere.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Who was right all along while you were hopelessly wrong.  What's that say about you, given your low opinion of him?

 

And who ran and hid from the board when the going got tough.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

BR, your hatred has made you strong.  Now take your weapon and strike down Biden, taking your place at Obama's side.  It is your destiny.  

Ah! I see the hate in you swelling ( after the election ). Take your weapon and strike the evil Obama down and take your place at Romney's side.1wink.gif

anders-fist-2_2194376b.jpg

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #37 of 38

Mark Steyn hits it out of the park.

 

Quote:

The good news is that reality (to use a quaint expression) doesn't need to swing a couple of thousand soccer moms in northern Virginia. Reality doesn't need to crack 270 in the Electoral College. Reality can get 1.3 percent of the popular vote and still trump everything else. In the course of his first term, Obama increased the federal debt by just shy of $6 trillion and, in return, grew the economy by $905 billion. So, as Lance Roberts at Street Talk Live pointed out, in order to generate every $1 of economic growth the United States had to borrow about $5.60. There's no one out there on the planet – whether it's "the rich" or the Chinese – who can afford to carry on bankrolling that rate of return. According to one CBO analysis, US government spending is sustainable as long as the rest of the world is prepared to sink 19 percent of its GDP into U.S. Treasury debt. We already know the answer to that: In order to avoid the public humiliation of a failed bond auction, the U.S. Treasury sells 70 percent of the debt it issues to the Federal Reserve – which is to say the left hand of the U.S. government is borrowing money from the right hand of the U.S. government. It's government as a Nigerian email scam, with Ben Bernanke playing the role of the dictator's widow with $4 trillion under her bed that she's willing to wire to Timmy Geithner as soon as he sends her his bank account details.

 

If that's all a bit too technical, here's the gist: There's nothing holding the joint up.

 

So, Washington cannot be saved from itself. For the moment, tend to your state, and county, town and school district, and demonstrate the virtues of responsible self-government at the local level. Americans as a whole have joined the rest of the Western world in voting themselves a lifestyle they are not willing to earn. The longer any course correction is postponed the more convulsive it will be. Alas, on Tuesday, the electorate opted to defer it for another four years. I doubt they'll get that long.

 

Hey there are the numbers someone like Nate Silver doesn't want to add up.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

anders-fist-2_2194376b.jpg

 

 

 

Did you just call me a racist?  Because I've got to tell you, that's a big mistake on your part. 

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Welcome back to reality. We've missed you here.