or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S III topped Apple's iPhone 4S in Q3 2012 sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy S III topped Apple's iPhone 4S in Q3 2012 sales

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
With the iPhone 4S nearly a year old and the iPhone 5 not quite ramped up to full production, Samsung's Galaxy S III capitalized to become the top selling handset model in the third quarter of calendar 2012.

Strategy


AppleInsider first reported in early September that the Galaxy S III was the top selling smartphone in the U.S. in the month of August, ousting Apple's iPhone 4S from the top spot for the first time in the history of that device's availability. And now, according to the latest data from Strategy Analytics, Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III overtook Apple's iPhone 4S worldwide in the September quarter.

Total sales of the Galaxy S III were 18 million, up from 5.4 million in its launch quarter. In comparison, Apple sold 16.2 million of the iPhone 4S.

Interestingly, with only a week's worth of availability, Apple's iPhone 5 was the third most popular smartphone in the quarter, with 6 million units sold.

The Galaxy S III took 10.7 percent of the total smartphone marketshare during the quarter, edging past Apple's 9.7 percent held by the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 5 accounted for 3.6 percent of all smartphone sales.

"A large touchscreen design, extensive distribution across dozens of countries, and generous operator subsidies have been among the main causes of the Galaxy S III's success," said Neil Shah, senior analyst with Strategy Analytics. "Apple shipped an estimated 16.2 million iPhone 4S units worldwide for second place, as consumers temporarily held off purchases in anticipation of a widely expected iPhone 5 upgrade at the end of the quarter."
post #2 of 84


Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

 the Galaxy S III was the top selling smartphone in the U.S. in the month of August, ousting Apple's iPhone 4S from the top spot for the first time in the history of that device's availability.

Really? The first time in the long, long, long 8 month (at that time) history of that device?

post #3 of 84
16 Plus 6 equals?
post #4 of 84

imo Apple need to make 2 iphone models next year.  Keep the iphone 5 with a refresh and introduce a bigger phone.  But instead of a pen, Apple should sell with a small and discreet bluetooth ear piece, something like spy's would used. 

 

They have multiple ipods size, 2 ipad sizes, why not 2 iphone sizes? The phablet is a growing market because people make less voice calls and more texting/apps/social/web on there device.  Apple needs to adapt, find what that product category really needs and innovate it. I am sure Apple can do better than a pen.

post #5 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox View Post

16 Plus 6 equals?

Same as 11 plus 11 but so what?

post #6 of 84
Where are S3 shipment numbers coming from? I was unaware that any manufacturer other than Apple reported actual sales.
post #7 of 84
Why is this a surprise.. everyone was waiting for the iphone 5? not to mention @ the verizon stores they were told to sell verizon cause they have them in stock so....
post #8 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox View Post

16 Plus 6 equals?

You can't add models.This isn't a brand survey, it's a device survey. 

 

This is only because one device ramped up and another was winding down for a new one. Next quarter all will return to normal. Nothing to really see here. Though I suppose it's good news to Samsung since there are 9000 Android phones.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #9 of 84
So really, Apple is the number one maker of flagship phones, not Samsung. Apple sold 22.2M phones and overthrew Samsung that only sold 18M.
post #10 of 84
This device has a very impressive sales[/shipment rate.

  • May 29 — sold to 28 countries
  • June 20 — released in N. America
  • July 22 — 10 millionth unit sold/shipped
  • Sept 6 — 20 millionth unit sold/shipped
  • Nov 3 — 30 millionth unit sold/shipped

Regardless of if you like this device, Android or Samsung these are impressive numbers. Even if you think they are all "fake" numbers because they are not reports from quarterly earnings on sales in the same way Apple releases numbers they have still sold nearly that many as it does not behoove Samsung to keep producing a product they can't move. Bottom line this device is a huge success.

That said, it's only bested the iPhone 4S at the every end of its cycle, and just barely, but no other no competitor's phone has come close to the iPhone in years so it's something to be commended.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #11 of 84

Why oh why did I wait for the iPhone 5... the least I could have done to help Apple when replacing my iPhone 4 would have been to buy the 4S even whilst under contract.  One lives and learns!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

So really, Apple is the number one maker of flagship phones, not Samsung. Apple sold 22.2M phones and overthrew Samsung that only sold 18M.

 

Huh?

 

That was "1" Samsung phone.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecaron View Post

Why is this a surprise.. everyone was waiting for the iphone 5? not to mention @ the verizon stores they were told to sell verizon cause they have them in stock so....

Yes the quarter before an expected release the iPhone sales always go down

And are these end user or channel sales. Samsung is notorious for saying 'slaes' without clarifying it is to the channel and not users. As Apple is its own biggest channel when they list sales it is a safe assumption that a good 70% are end user and the rest are to their other channels but we can't necessarily say that about Samsung. This could be channel of which only 20% converted to end users
post #14 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

So really, Apple is the number one maker of flagship phones, not Samsung. Apple sold 22.2M phones and overthrew Samsung that only sold 18M.

 

If you're going to count 4S and 5, what about the 4? how about the other smartphones Samsung makes? Did you count the GSIIs that they are still selling? The Windows phones they make? Point is your logic is clearly flawed. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #15 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox View Post

16 Plus 6 equals?


I noticed that as well. You might have to add about 3 or 4 million of the iPhone 4... but still.

 

IMHO.... Apple has to change something so there isn't so much of a drop off in the 4th fiscal quarter.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


I noticed that as well. You might have to add about 3 or 4 million of the iPhone 4... but still.

IMHO.... Apple has to change something so there isn't so much of a drop off in the 4th fiscal quarter.

No way. This measure means nothing. I certainly don't want Apple to hold off for a few days before releasing the next iPhone so that they can close out a quarter to beat Samsung or be even more secretive about the next launch by giving the announcement and sales date even more lead time in an attempt to get customers to buy more of the old model.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


No way. This measure means nothing. I certainly don't want Apple to hold off for a few days before releasing the next iPhone so that they can close out a quarter to beat Samsung or be even more secretive about the next launch by giving the announcement and sales date even more lead time in an attempt to get customers to buy more of the old model.

 

Who is talking about delaying anything?

 

One idea is to upgrade the processor in the old model a few months into its release, say at the beginning of the 4th fiscal quarter.

 

This isn't about beating Samsung, it's about selling as many phones as possible.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #18 of 84

That's great for Sammy. Can't wait for their press release stating how many phones they sold and not shipped. oh what? Sammy doesn't report those numbers? Well I guess I can make them up. oh what? that's an analyst's job?

post #19 of 84
So Samsung can sell more than an year old iPhone.


"Impressive!"






NOT
post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


I noticed that as well. You might have to add about 3 or 4 million of the iPhone 4... but still.

 

IMHO.... Apple has to change something so there isn't so much of a drop off in the 4th fiscal quarter.

I disagree. Apple should not release flagship phones more than once a year. They also shouldn't release crap phones just for market share either. There's always going to be a drop off during a product transition. You can't avoid it.

post #21 of 84
Maybe Toyota outsold Nissan. Maybe Coke outsold Pepsi. Who gives a shit? Just buy what you like and what works for you.
post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I disagree. Apple should not release flagship phones more than once a year. They also shouldn't release crap phones just for market share either. There's always going to be a drop off during a product transition. You can't avoid it.


Well, since I'm not talking about introducing more than one flagship model a year nor releasing crap phones, nor just trying to increase market share for market share's sake... then I guess your argument has nothing to do with what I speak.

 

Apple is in the business of selling phones. I'm sure there are a few ways of selling more phones but still keeping decent margins. That's why there is all that high priced help at Apple... to figure out things like this.

 

As a shareholder I don't like seeing such a drastic drop every 4th fiscal quarter.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


I noticed that as well. You might have to add about 3 or 4 million of the iPhone 4... but still.

IMHO.... Apple has to change something so there isn't so much of a drop off in the 4th fiscal quarter.

No way. This measure means nothing. I certainly don't want Apple to hold off for a few days before releasing the next iPhone so that they can close out a quarter to beat Samsung or be even more secretive about the next launch by giving the announcement and sales date even more lead time in an attempt to get customers to buy more of the old model.

We may be entering a new era where Apple products are released when the technology is available in quantity to manufacture them... The iPad 4 may be an example of this.

Phones are different (because of the carrier subsidy) but even that may be changing.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #24 of 84

Yes, but give that Apple's iPhones are all, at the end of the day, iPhones, how does the SIII do against iPhones? And let's see how it does against iPhone 5 this quarter.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #25 of 84
Samsung sells this many phones and how long did they wait for Jelly Bean? And how many are still waiting?

If the #1 selling Android phone in history (#1 by a long shot) takes this long to get an update what does that tell you about their priorities? What about people who bought a phone that only sold a couple million? Will they be forgotten?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #26 of 84
In other news:

McDonald's announced a new happy meal… Order anything you want, and the guy in line behind you pays for it.

India announced a new Hindu dating service… Called connect the dots.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo Apple need to make 2 iphone models next year.  Keep the iphone 5 with a refresh and introduce a bigger phone.  But instead of a pen, Apple should sell with a small and discreet bluetooth ear piece, something like spy's would used. 

 

They have multiple ipods size, 2 ipad sizes, why not 2 iphone sizes? The phablet is a growing market because people make less voice calls and more texting/apps/social/web on there device.  Apple needs to adapt, find what that product category really needs and innovate it. I am sure Apple can do better than a pen.

IMO, Apple should have made the iPad mini with a Phablet option (one more thing) and have it come out with a cool Bluetooth earpiece.  This would mean the iPad mini has a wifi, wifi + 4G data, and wifi + 4G data + voice.  Doing this would have better justified the iPad mini space better and would have been an easy way to test the Phablet market.  Everyone that loves the Phablet thinks that they can all still be bigger.  Once you are reserved to using a Bluetooth head set or a headphone, it just doesn't matter how big you get.  Add contract pricing and this would fit well in Apple's pricing strategy, as well.

post #28 of 84
So Samsung stocking carriers' and stores' inventories gives them a lead over actual end-user deliveries? Hardly. Comparing Apples and Oranges (so to speak).
post #29 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


We may be entering a new era where Apple products are released when the technology is available in quantity to manufacture them... The iPad 4 may be an example of this.
Phones are different (because of the carrier subsidy) but even that may be changing.


I was thinking the same thing. Tim Cook might have a different idea about how products will be released in the future.

 

I have a feeling he is also concerned about numbers.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This device has a very impressive sales[/shipment rate.
  • May 29 — sold to 28 countries
  • June 20 — released in N. America
  • July 22 — 10 millionth unit sold/shipped
  • Sept 6 — 20 millionth unit sold/shipped
  • Nov 3 — 30 millionth unit sold/shipped
Regardless of if you like this device, Android or Samsung these are impressive numbers. Even if you think they are all "fake" numbers because they are not reports from quarterly earnings on sales in the same way Apple releases numbers they have still sold nearly that many as it does not behoove Samsung to keep producing a product they can't move. Bottom line this device is a huge success.
That said, it's only bested the iPhone 4S at the every end of its cycle, and just barely, but no other no competitor's phone has come close to the iPhone in years so it's something to be commended.

No one is saying the numbers are 'fake.' Just that, shipments do not equal sales.

It is a tad surprising that a company that produces such a successful product in such large numbers does not feel compelled -- and is not compelled, by analysts -- to report actual segment data that shows quantities sold and operating profit.

Also, I am guessing that most of these numbers (note they are 'global') are from India and China, where the iPhone is still only marginally available (in China, Apple is not available in the largest carrier yet).

Finally, as we all know, market share does not equal profits.
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Well, since I'm not talking about introducing more than one flagship model a year nor releasing crap phones, nor just trying to increase market share for market share's sake... then I guess your argument has nothing to do with what I speak.

 

Apple is in the business of selling phones. I'm sure there are a few ways of selling more phones but still keeping decent margins. That's why there is all that high priced help at Apple... to figure out things like this.

 

As a shareholder I don't like seeing such a drastic drop every 4th fiscal quarter.

here's the thing, you can't avoid it. people will be expecting a new phone every 4th quarter so they'll wait for the next version. They are selling almost every phone they make. And the drastic drop in the 4th quarters happen to be record quarters anyways. If you are scared of record fourth quarters because of a small drop in sales of a year old phone, then sell. Me, i'll ride out the fourth quarter because the holiday quarter will more than make up for any shortfall.

post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

here's the thing, you can't avoid it. people will be expecting a new phone every 4th quarter so they'll wait for the next version. They are selling almost every phone they make. And the drastic drop in the 4th quarters happen to be record quarters anyways. If you are scared of record fourth quarters because of a small drop in sales of a year old phone, then sell. Me, i'll ride out the fourth quarter because the holiday quarter will more than make up for any shortfall.


So you are saying that companies should do nothing to prop up sales and should just let things slide because things will get better soon. Great business strategy.

 

... and, yes, you can mitigate such a drastic drop in sales. I'm not talking about steady sales after the holiday quarter, I'm talking about another 4 or 5 million. Keep it above 30 million at least.

 

I can almost guarantee you that Tim Cook is going to change things.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #33 of 84

The real numbers (covers 2nd and 3rd quarter)....

 

Apple           35.6 million   4S

Samsung      23.4 million  SIII
 

Now...what about 4th quarter numbers??  Will anyone brag then?

 

Kind of like a NASCAR driver bragging about moving into the lead just because the previous leader made a pit stop.

 

On a side note...say my FIRST SIII in the wild yesterday.  Hard to see anyway as everyone else seems to have an iPhone around here.

post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We may be entering a new era where Apple products are released when the technology is available in quantity to manufacture them... The iPad 4 may be an example of this.

Phones are different (because of the carrier subsidy) but even that may be changing.


I was thinking the same thing. Tim Cook might have a different idea about how products will be released in the future.

I have a feeling he is also concerned about numbers.

Exactly!

And one of the biggest barriers to making the "numbers" is the PITA that is the buying, upgrading, activating, billing, data plan, overage experience because of the carriers -- each activity with a never-ending stream of extra charges and fees...

Apple needs to change that!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


Exactly!
And one of the biggest barriers to making the "numbers" is the PITA that is the buying, upgrading, activating, billing, data plan, overage experience because of the carriers -- each activity with a never-ending stream of extra charges and fees...
Apple needs to change that!

 

Vendors in Canada usually don't display iPhones, maybe a bit of signage and that's it. Too many spiffs for selling android phones. If Apple found a way to change that (selling an iPhone rather than punishing people by pushing android phones down their throat) then I'm thinking 2 or 3 million phones could be added right there (I'm not just talking Canada with that number).

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

That's great for Sammy. Can't wait for their press release stating how many phones they sold and not shipped. oh what? Sammy doesn't report those numbers? Well I guess I can make them up. oh what? that's an analyst's job?


You are so right.  The key to be a successful company is to keep producing phones that you can not sell /s

post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


No one is saying the numbers are 'fake.' Just that, shipments do not equal sales.
It is a tad surprising that a company that produces such a successful product in such large numbers does not feel compelled -- and is not compelled, by analysts -- to report actual segment data that shows quantities sold and operating profit.
Also, I am guessing that most of these numbers (note they are 'global') are from India and China, where the iPhone is still only marginally available (in China, Apple is not available in the largest carrier yet).
Finally, as we all know, market share does not equal profits.


So in your mind Samsung is simply producing phones and stock piling them?  Really?  That there is NO WAY they can be actually selling this many phones?  That they have a magic warehouse somewhere they ship the phones too. I love ignorance.

 

You are right though, Market share does not equal profits......Yet.

post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

The real numbers (covers 2nd and 3rd quarter)....

 

Apple           35.6 million   4S

Samsung      23.4 million  SIII
 

Now...what about 4th quarter numbers??  Will anyone brag then?

 

Kind of like a NASCAR driver bragging about moving into the lead just because the previous leader made a pit stop.

 

On a side note...say my FIRST SIII in the wild yesterday.  Hard to see anyway as everyone else seems to have an iPhone around here.

 

SIII went on sale in late May/early June. It wasn't available in the US until July.

iPad 3, Galaxy S4
Reply
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
Reply
post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


So you are saying that companies should do nothing to prop up sales and should just let things slide because things will get better soon. Great business strategy.

 

... and, yes, you can mitigate such a drastic drop in sales. I'm not talking about steady sales after the holiday quarter, I'm talking about another 4 or 5 million. Keep it above 30 million at least.

 

I can almost guarantee you that Tim Cook is going to change things.

 

And how would you prop up sales and still maintain margins? Some people expect a new iphone every 4th qtr. They aren't going to buy the current one if they believe a new one is coming out within weeks no matter how much incentives you add. Tim Cook knows what he's doing. Apple has been doing it the last 5 years.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post


You are so right.  The key to be a successful company is to keep producing phones that you can not sell /s


that's not what i'm saying. I'm saying if you sell 30MM phones in a qtr, you should announce it. The fact that Sammy isn't says something.

post #40 of 84
Without actual published sales figures you can take this 'clickbait' article and wipe your arse with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S III topped Apple's iPhone 4S in Q3 2012 sales