or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: iPhone assembler Foxconn plans to build manufacturing plants in US
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: iPhone assembler Foxconn plans to build manufacturing plants in US

post #1 of 73
Thread Starter 
Foxconn, Apple's Taiwan-based manufacturing partner, is said to be planning to establish manufacturing plants in America, and is evaluating sites in Los Angeles, Calif., and Detroit, Mich.

The rumored manufacturing plants are expected to focus on building LCD television sets, according to a report published Thursday by hit-or-miss industry publication DigiTimes. Citing "market watchers," the report suggested that the plants will not be used to manufacture Apple products, because the work is "rather complicated.

The rumored expansion of Foxconn to America comes as the company's chairman, Terry Gou, also reportedly said at a public event that his company is planning a training program for U.S.-based engineers. Through a planned partnership with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Foxconn hopes to bring American engineers to Taiwan or China to be involved in product design and manufacturing.

Based in Taiwan, Foxconn has a number of manufacturing plants in China where it assembles devices for a number of large electronics companies, including Apple. But Apple has come under fire from critics who disapprove of Foxconn's use of cheap foreign labor.

Tim Cook at Foxconn
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook visited a Foxconn plant in Zhengzhou, China, earlier this year.


Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was asked earlier this year about the possibility of manufacturing his company's products in America. He said he would like for Apple products to be made stateside, but he also noted that critics have placed an "intense focus" on final assembly, while there is a great deal more to creating devices than just that one step.

A report from AppleInsider in July noted that some of Apple's key component suppliers have begun increasing their U.S.-based production. But because those companies frequently assemble components around the world, it's unknown just how much of a device like the iPhone is truly made in America.

Foxconn has begun expanding outside of China and the Far East in recent years, most notably with a new plant in Brazil that manufactures iPads for Apple.
post #2 of 73

Oh, no! Americans as slave labor! 80 hour work days! Three dollars compensation!


hit-or-miss industry publication DigiTimes.

 

Nice of you to be so generous.

post #3 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, no! Americans as slave labor! 80 hour work days! Three dollars compensation!

 

Nice of you to be so generous.


I read one report that said that in 30 years North America will become the manufacturing base for cheap goods sold to China while China will become the exporter of high end machinery. A total reverse of today.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #4 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nice of you to be so generous.

Overly so. I think the descriptive phrases they're looking for is "almost always wrong", "predictably wrong", "consistently wrong" or a similar variation thereof.
post #5 of 73
Digitimes as a source. Take it with a salt lick

And where are the critics to blast the other 80 ish clients that use Foxconn for their American sold products.

Totally mum. Easy money your Surface wasn't 100% made in the USA, for example

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #6 of 73
Back in the day TV sets were made in USA...

but what about iPhones made it in USA?... (just replace iPhone with iTV... LOL)


right... now lets Cue the union problems, the supply problems (caused by the competitors.. because their phones are made in China ) the theft problems or should I say shrinkage problems, who is going to pay for the capital infrastructure?... And getting the government to place a tariff on the Chinese made Apple products coming in, due to those Chinese made Apple products will be cheaper than the US-made product... The problems with productivity of US citizens compared to the Chinese counterparts Because the US citizens are paid more compared to the Chinese...

If there are approximately 300 steps to make an iPhone and each step takes a minute, thats five hours.. if the minimum wage is $10 let's say that's $50 extra for each phone...
So if you add $50 to every Chinese iPhone it will same price... but really are Americans going to pay extra?.. Not a chance ...

There is more chance that you will be paying alot more taxes in the next eight years...

/Pointless rambling
Edited by haar - 11/8/12 at 8:03am
post #7 of 73
Quote:
the report suggested that the plants will not be used to manufacture Apple products, because the work is "rather complicated.

 

What is this even supposed to mean? That Apple products aren't complicated (to manufacture)? That Americans can't handle complicated work?

post #8 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

Back in the day TV sets were made in USA...
but what about iPhones made it in USA?... (just replace iPhone with iTV... LOL)
right... now lets Cue the union problems, the supply problems (caused by the competitors.. because their phones are made in China ) the theft problems or should I say shrinkage problems, who is going to pay for the capital infrastructure?... And getting the government to place a tariff on the Chinese made Apple products coming in, due to those Chinese made Apple products will be cheaper than the US-made product... The problems with productivity of US citizens compared to the Chinese counterparts Because the US citizens are paid more compared to the Chinese...
If there are approximately 300 steps to make an iPhone and each step takes a minute, thats five hours.. if the minimum wage is $10 let's say that's $50 extra for each phone...
So if you add $50 to every Chinese iPhone it will same price... but really are Americans going to pay extra?.. Not a chance ...
There is more chance that you will be paying alot more taxes in the next eight years...
/Pointless rambling

Only $50 extra for each phone?  You mean you trust the minimum wage workers of US to put together the delicate iPhone components?  

post #9 of 73

It will be much easier for Apple to keep their product parts from leaking out.

post #10 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Only $50 extra for each phone?  You mean you trust the minimum wage workers of US to put together the delicate iPhone components?  


Interesting thought.

 

Minimum wage earners would be making iPhones in the U.S. whereas better than average wage earners are making iPhones in China.

 

Hmmm... I wonder which one would give a shit more about their job...

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #11 of 73
There won't be union problems if a plant is built in a right-to-work state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

What is this even supposed to mean? That Apple products aren't complicated (to manufacture)? That Americans can't handle complicated work?

I'm sure Americans can handle it but at a competitive rate for consumer electronics? I don't think so.
post #12 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

Back in the day TV sets were made in USA...
but what about iPhones made it in USA?... (just replace iPhone with iTV... LOL)
right... now lets Cue the union problems, the supply problems (caused by the competitors.. because their phones are made in China ) the theft problems or should I say shrinkage problems, who is going to pay for the capital infrastructure?... And getting the government to place a tariff on the Chinese made Apple products coming in, due to those Chinese made Apple products will be cheaper than the US-made product... The problems with productivity of US citizens compared to the Chinese counterparts Because the US citizens are paid more compared to the Chinese...
If there are approximately 300 steps to make an iPhone and each step takes a minute, thats five hours.. if the minimum wage is $10 let's say that's $50 extra for each phone...
So if you add $50 to every Chinese iPhone it will same price... but really are Americans going to pay extra?.. Not a chance ...
There is more chance that you will be paying alot more taxes in the next eight years...
/Pointless rambling

So you think that each Chinese worked spends 5 hours building one phone at a time? or are you suggesting that if 300 workers each touch the phone over the course of 5 hours that is equivalent to one person for 5 hours? I have had a number of friends and family in Union assembly line type jobs tell me stories about how they were instructed to only work at a certain pace well below what they were capable of so that management would not come to expect that level of output on a regular basis and so that on days when they needed to increase output to meet a quota or earn extra vacation days or whatever, they could easily do so by stepping up from their normally lackadaisical pace to comfortable pace that does is not truly taxing. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

What is this even supposed to mean? That Apple products aren't complicated (to manufacture)? That Americans can't handle complicated work?

 

I have heard stories from family members working on assembly lines in the US along the lines of a new hire not returning to work after the first break because the work was "too hard" or a job where all they had to do was load an item into a punch press and slide it on down but can't manage to do it right, or spent time carving things into the work table that is used for proofing jobs etc resulting in greater difficulty sliding the work around or leading to damage to the finished product. I personally heard a young woman state "I am not going to do this, its too much work" after being handed a job-application. 

post #13 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Only $50 extra for each phone?  You mean you trust the minimum wage workers of US to put together the delicate iPhone components?  


Interesting thought.

Minimum wage earners would be making iPhones in the U.S. whereas better than average wage earners are making iPhones in China.

Hmmm... I wonder which one would give a shit more about their job...

The reality is very few factories in the USA pay minimum wage rates. Often production line workers are paid well above that. On the otherhand you rightfully point out that Foxconn workers are actually being paid faily well too. When it comes right down to it the assembly effort or cost isn't a big deal. That is wages paid are only a small factor in the cost of the product.
post #14 of 73

Digitimes is now resorting to Trolling.

 

Take a business that is losing money for everyone (TVs) and move assembly to a more expensive assembly location.

 

That is so nonsensical the guys at Digitimes who made this one up, are having a good laugh on their successful troll.

post #15 of 73
Apple won't need workers. They would use robots to keep the cost down. With the iPhone 5, we all saw the trouble that humans have with such small, delicate equipment.
post #16 of 73

"rumor"

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #17 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post


I have heard stories from family members working on assembly lines in the US along the lines of a new hire not returning to work after the first break because the work was "too hard" or a job where all they had to do was load an item into a punch press and slide it on down but can't manage to do it right, or spent time carving things into the work table that is used for proofing jobs etc resulting in greater difficulty sliding the work around or leading to damage to the finished product. I personally heard a young woman state "I am not going to do this, its too much work" after being handed a job-application. 


I could add to this but it would really pull this thread off track. To put it bluntly though there are a huge number of lazy people and or idiots in this country. Sadly everyone of them voted for Obama so I really don't see America becoming competitive manufacturing wise anytime soon.
post #18 of 73

TVs are big and probably have higher shipping costs than other consumer electronics, perhaps why they want to make those closer to selling point.

post #19 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

So you think that each Chinese worked spends 5 hours building one phone at a time? or are you suggesting that if 300 workers each touch the phone over the course of 5 hours that is equivalent to one person for 5 hours?

I think it's a short hand for 300 stages, each stage being done by its own pool of workers. Very few products are assembled by one person per unit, it is entirely reasonable to add up the time for each stage and even sometimes count the between each stage.

I think the $50 figure arrived is reasonable though, maybe even now. Even if you say thirty seconds per step, once you add overhead that multiplies back out again.
post #20 of 73
I really have to wonder if people on this forum have ever actually read DigiTimes or frankly if they can read for content at all. DigiTimes isn't trolling they are simply reporting as such what they report is only as good as their sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Digitimes is now resorting to Trolling.

Take a business that is losing money for everyone (TVs) and move assembly to a more expensive assembly location.

That is so nonsensical the guys at Digitimes who made this one up, are having a good laugh on their successful troll.

It isn't an effort at trolling. These reports are just part of the spectrum of news that published by DigiTimes and is about as useful as any fish wrapper.
post #21 of 73

I don't care what they're assembling, jobs in the US is win win no matter what the circumstances. It's a step in the right direction to bring jobs back. I hope the rumors are true!

 

And yes, I'd pay an extra $50 per phone if it meant jobs in the US.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


I read one report that said that in 30 years North America will become the manufacturing base for cheap goods sold to China while China will become the exporter of high end machinery. A total reverse of today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDcMPO_-TA&feature=share

 

That's a great commercial

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

TVs are big and probably have higher shipping costs than other consumer electronics, perhaps why they want to make those closer to selling point.
Detroit? Seriously the welfare capital of the USA. We really don't need people on public assistance buying TVs of any sort much less large screen machines.
post #24 of 73

To drive Tim's comment home

 

 

Quote:
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was asked earlier this year about the possibility of manufacturing his company's products in America. He said he would like for Apple products to be made stateside, but he also noted that critics have placed an "intense focus" on final assembly, while there is a great deal more to creating devices than just that one step.

It would be interesting to see the wages that Apple's US work force totals to as compared to the 700K+ workers in China making Apple products add up too.

 

I suspect that Apple's US wages total far more than the 700K+ working in China.

 

Would it be better for Apple or any company to keep adding higher wages jobs in the US or exchange those for lot more lower wage jobs. I do not care how you sell it, no company is going to pay someone more than minimum wage to sit in a factory snapping together or driving screws. Knowing what engineers get paid, you would have to replace every lost engineer job with 4 or 5 factory assemblers. Also one engineer wages probably has more expendable incoming to buy other thing than the 4 or 5 factory works have together.

 

This county has to focus on making our people more marketable for higher paying jobs verse trying to figure how to being back a factory.

post #25 of 73
Why is DigiTimes always panned? Remember the iPad Mini talk from like a year ago? Seems like that was pretty true. I feel like they come out of left-field and sometimes publish rumors far before others.. and many times they're actually true. Yet, the stereotype holds.
post #26 of 73
They want to build manufacturing plants in Taxifornia? That doesn't make good business sense.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #27 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I don't care what they're assembling, jobs in the US is win win no matter what the circumstances. It's a step in the right direction to bring jobs back. I hope the rumors are true!
It is only a win if we are in an equal footing with competitors. More so the world only wins if all economies are expanding. Point in fact it really doesn't matter where iPhone is being assembled, most of the complaints revolve around the lost of jobs but the reality is these are not lost jobs. Lost jobs are the result of a factory shutting down to move production to China.
Quote:
And yes, I'd pay an extra $50 per phone if it meant jobs in the US.

I wouldn't.

Frankly this is the problem with much of the bring the jobs back to the USA movement. If the majority of the people here where willing to pay the extra dollars for a USA made product they would still be made in the USA. Sadly people don't pay the extra dollars even if they say they will. This isn't even debatable many manufactures have gone under simply because people didn't not pay the extra cost for a USA made product.

You may personally not do that but history has shown that all things being equal people will go for cheap as opposed to US made.
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

Why is DigiTimes always panned? Remember the iPad Mini talk from like a year ago? Seems like that was pretty true. I feel like they come out of left-field and sometimes publish rumors far before others.. and many times they're actually true. Yet, the stereotype holds.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. People have been asking about a smaller iPad since the iPad was introduced, so Digitimes was very likely adding nothing new short of picking up what people are talking about and restating it.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/8/12 at 9:14am
post #29 of 73
Los Angeles or Detroit for factories! Are these people crazy? There's are reasons why both cities have high unemployment rates. They have high taxes, hideous regulations, corrupt governments, and almost no work ethic, not to mention horrible rates of drug addiction and crime.

Foxconn needs to take note what Asian automakers are doing. They're locating in the Southeastern United States where there's a solid Scot-Irish work ethic, a low cost of living, and friendly, cooperative local governments. When I was a kid growing up in Alabama, it grew a lot of cotton but made no cars. Now it makes 750,000 cars a year. The largest auto factory in the world is in Mississippi and there's a huge Kia factory in Georgia not far from where my sister lives. It and the factories of subcontractors line an Interstate for about ten miles. And these are state-of-art factories with well-trained workforces. There's none of the hostility to change or adapting that you'll find in the UAW-dominated regions of the country (i.e. Michigan or Ohio). People want good wages, but they'll also work hard for them and learn something new.

Perhaps Foxconn is confusing the U.S. with China. China is not troubled by many of the pathologies that dominate some U.S. cities. The rather ruthless sort of state capitalism that's replaced communism in China can assume a work ethic and needs only to look for places that have or can attract large numbers of workers desperately eager for jobs at any wage. Superficially, Los Angeles and Detroit may look like those sorts of places, but they're not. Not even close.

Perhaps Foxconn has been talking to some politicians in the Democratic party. Clueless about business and ignorant of even the basics of balancing a budget, all those politicians can think about is posing at a factory opening in either of those cities. They care not that, like the solar factories the Obama administration has poured huge sums into, those business rolled belly-up in a few years. They've had their photo op. They've pretended to care.

Or there could be another and more devious reason for what Foxconn is doing. It's thinking of coming here and, backed by billions in tax-payer money, build factories where the politicians want but knowing from the start that they will fail. Then after they fail, Foxconn can then say, "Well, we tried factories in the U.S. but they didn't work out."
post #30 of 73
Personally, I find this very hard to believe. Making LCDs is a very low-margin business. The traditional Japanese manufacturers, like Sony and Panasonic, are all losing money at it even though everything except their top line sets (and sometimes even those) are manufactured in China, Mexico and other low-wage countries.

So I don't see how Foxconn can successfully operate manufacturing in the U.S. even if they got away with paying minimum wage and with keeping the unions out, which will be near impossible to do. But if they do, fantastic - we can certainly use the jobs.

One problem for Apple is that if Foxconn adds manufacturing in the U.S. for non-Apple products, I think there will be far more pressure on Apple to build here. And I most certainly do not buy the argument than those Chinese workers are somehow more educated or better trained than American workers, since most of those Foxconn workers are coming from the farms, not the urban centers. The high-skill part of manufacturing is the development and manufacturing of the machine tools, not the assembly.
post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really have to wonder if people on this forum have ever actually read DigiTimes or frankly if they can read for content at all. DigiTimes isn't trolling they are simply reporting as such what they report is only as good as their sources.
It isn't an effort at trolling. These reports are just part of the spectrum of news that published by DigiTimes and is about as useful as any fish wrapper.

 

Digitimes is the source for the majority of false rumors. IMO they manufacture them at this point. You can't blame it on faulty sources. Who would keep returning to faulty sources? I figure at some point they realized false rumors bring just as many hits as real ones, so they have become a rumor factory.

post #32 of 73
This is nonsense! Almost every factory in the US is paying above minimum wage rates. Wages might be slightly lower due to the economy but the idea that there is an excess of people out there willing and able to work in a factory is a mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

To drive Tim's comment home

Quote:
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was asked 
earlier this year
 about the possibility of manufacturing his company's products in America. He said he would like for Apple products to be made stateside, but he also noted that critics have placed an "intense focus" on final assembly, while there is a great deal more to creating devices than just that one step.
It would be interesting to see the wages that Apple's US work force totals to as compared to the 700K+ workers in China making Apple products add up too.

I suspect that Apple's US wages total far more than the 700K+ working in China.

Would it be better for Apple or any company to keep adding higher wages jobs in the US or exchange those for lot more lower wage jobs. I do not care how you sell it, no company is going to pay someone more than minimum wage to sit in a factory snapping together or driving screws. Knowing what engineers get paid, you would have to replace every lost engineer job with 4 or 5 factory assemblers. Also one engineer wages probably has more expendable incoming to buy other thing than the 4 or 5 factory works have together.

This county has to focus on making our people more marketable for higher paying jobs verse trying to figure how to being back a factory.
post #33 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


The reality is very few factories in the USA pay minimum wage rates. Often production line workers are paid well above that. On the otherhand you rightfully point out that Foxconn workers are actually being paid faily well too. When it comes right down to it the assembly effort or cost isn't a big deal. That is wages paid are only a small factor in the cost of the product.

 

If the scenario in the article was to come true then I really don't think the iPhone workers would get anything above minimum wage. Regular US factory wages would kill any such deal.

 

IOW... the story is complete fantasy if it means manufacturing iPhones in the USA.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #34 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is nonsense! Almost every factory in the US is paying above minimum wage rates. Wages might be slightly lower due to the economy but the idea that there is an excess of people out there willing and able to work in a factory is a mistake.


Really? You actually believe that?

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #35 of 73
Probably because of short memories and an I willingness to actually read the publication. All people need to do is to actually read the publication and the articles quoted after which I think their opinion of the publication would change dramatically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

Why is DigiTimes always panned? Remember the iPad Mini talk from like a year ago? Seems like that was pretty true. I feel like they come out of left-field and sometimes publish rumors far before others.. and many times they're actually true. Yet, the stereotype holds.
post #36 of 73
First off just because a rumor doesn't pan out doesn't mean it wasn't true at the time.

Second you really should read the publication before passing judgement. Frankly you are basically full of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really have to wonder if people on this forum have ever actually read DigiTimes or frankly if they can read for content at all. DigiTimes isn't trolling they are simply reporting as such what they report is only as good as their sources.

It isn't an effort at trolling. These reports are just part of the spectrum of news that published by DigiTimes and is about as useful as any fish wrapper.

Digitimes is the source for the majority of false rumors. IMO they manufacture them at this point. You can't blame it on faulty sources. Who would keep returning to faulty sources? I figure at some point they realized false rumors bring just as many hits as real ones, so they have become a rumor factory.
post #37 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First off just because a rumor doesn't pan out doesn't mean it wasn't true at the time.
Second you really should read the publication before passing judgement. Frankly you are basically full of it.

 

 

I have been to their page a number of times, but eventually I wised up and decided to stop supporting the rumor factory.

post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is nonsense! Almost every factory in the US is paying above minimum wage rates. Wages might be slightly lower due to the economy but the idea that there is an excess of people out there willing and able to work in a factory is a mistake.


Really? You actually believe that?

Most certainly. Do realize I have direct experience with this issue and work in a factory that is constantly hiring to replace people that don't want to work. We are talking a factory with production jobs that are a cake walk.

One guy alluded to people that come in and work for a couple of hours and never come back. That does happen more often than you think. Frankly these sorts are actually a good thing because you don't have to evaluate their abilities or willingness to work.

Other issues that are a bigger problem are the workers that come in drunk or stoned. Substance abuse is a huge problem not only for product quality and and productivity but is a huge safety issue. Another significant issue is the many people that are frankly too stupid to work in a factory. You may see that as crude, calling people stupid, but modern factories require people that have something going up stairs.

I could go on and on but it is a mistake to believe that there are that many unemployed out there suitable for work in a factory. Mind you this is a plant that pays well above minimum wage.
post #39 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


I read one report that said that in 30 years North America will become the manufacturing base for cheap goods sold to China while China will become the exporter of high end machinery. A total reverse of today.

 

 

I may happen if the gap between poor and rich widens.

post #40 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Most certainly. Do realize I have direct experience with this issue and work in a factory that is constantly hiring to replace people that don't want to work. We are talking a factory with production jobs that are a cake walk.
One guy alluded to people that come in and work for a couple of hours and never come back. That does happen more often than you think. Frankly these sorts are actually a good thing because you don't have to evaluate their abilities or willingness to work.
Other issues that are a bigger problem are the workers that come in drunk or stoned. Substance abuse is a huge problem not only for product quality and and productivity but is a huge safety issue. Another significant issue is the many people that are frankly too stupid to work in a factory. You may see that as crude, calling people stupid, but modern factories require people that have something going up stairs.
I could go on and on but it is a mistake to believe that there are that many unemployed out there suitable for work in a factory. Mind you this is a plant that pays well above minimum wage.

I agree completely. If we tried to hire factory workers at minimum wage, I doubt if we'd have a single applicant. And we're not even in a high cost of living area. Our entry level manufacturing jobs (which involve no particular technical skills and are probably comparable to iPhone assembly) start at around $10 per hour.

Minimum wage gets you a retail sales clerk (in some places) or a fast food worker and not a lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First off just because a rumor doesn't pan out doesn't mean it wasn't true at the time.
Second you really should read the publication before passing judgement. Frankly you are basically full of it.

No, he's right. Digitimes rumors are almost always wrong. When they almost never get something right, it's silly to pretend that they were right up front and Apple changed its mind.

You MIGHT be able to make that argument with some of the analysts who are right 50% of the time, but with someone who's never right, it's a foolish bet. The person you were responding to is correct - it appears that Digitimes is simply making things up.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: iPhone assembler Foxconn plans to build manufacturing plants in US