or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and HTC settle all patent litigation, agree to 10-year licensing deal

Apple and HTC settle all patent litigation, agree to 10-year licensing deal

post #1 of 76
Apple announced on Saturday that it has reached a global settlement with HTC that includes the dismissal of all ongoing court litigation, and will participate in a ten-year license agreement that covers current and future patents held by both companies.

HTC One X
HTC's One X smartphone was at the center of an Apple-won injunction.

While the details of the settlement are scarce, Apple issued a statement on its website announcing the termination of all current patent disputes with HTC, with the ten-year agreement poised to be used as protection against any future suits.

The Cupertino tech giant has long been at odds with HTC over a number of claimed patents, including a complaint originated the Taiwanese handset manufacturer lodged in Delaware that sought to ban the U.S. sale of the iPhones, iPads and certain Mac computers over violation of claimed Wi-Fi patents.

The heads of both companies issued similar statements, with Apple CEO Tim Cook saying, ?We are glad to have reached a settlement with HTC. We will continue to stay laser focused on product innovation.?

Peter Chou, CEO of HTC echoed Cook and said, "HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation.?

In August, after a round of court-ordered talks to urge the companies toward reaching a settlement, HTC said it had no intention on settling in any of the multiple cases against Apple. The outcome was similar to a discussion in September over a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission.

Apple was first to file against HTC in 2010, when it alleged infringement of certain iPhone patents.

In December, Apple was granted an injunction against HTC handsets violating its so-called "data-detectors" patent, which caused the delayed release of the Taiwan-based company's HTC One X and Evo 4G LTE as the devices were held at U.S. customs.

The terms of the Apple and HTC agreement remain confidential.
post #2 of 76

Cool. Bravo to both. 

post #3 of 76
I must say, of all smartphone companies, HTC is one whose innovation is least apparent. Hopefully, cessation of litigation will indeed help.
post #4 of 76
Wonder how costly it was for HTC to settle and how much they will pay per phone.
post #5 of 76

Hey, AppleInsider,

You misspelled Samsung as HTC in this article!!!

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
post #6 of 76
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
Wonder how costly it was for HTC to settle and how much they will pay per phone.

That's the spirit! Though I certainly think it's possible Apple did their share of infringing. But the HTC stuff wasn't so much trade dress, was it?

post #7 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I doubt that the settlement was one-sided and it had to be best interest of both parties to settle, since the lawsuits were not easy slam dunk for Apple.
post #8 of 76

Very good to see. Hopefully this is just the first of many settlements between the different tech players. 

melior diabolus quem scies
post #9 of 76

I expect little to no money changed hands, but Apple likely got an "anti-copying" provision like they did when they licensed to Microsoft.

Good for both parties IMO.

post #10 of 76

This gives apple a good gloss regarding Samsung litigation as it show they are a company willing to settle fairly, thus planting a seed of doubt regarding Samsung's attitude in the mind of any judge.

post #11 of 76
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post
…thus planting a seed of doubt regarding Samsung's attitude in the mind of any judge.

Except the UK ones, I guess, to which this should have been readily apparent upon the release of their first post-iPhone/Pad products… 

post #12 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Hey, AppleInsider,

You misspelled Samsung as HTC in this article!!!

In that case they also mistakenly wrote "agree to 10-year licensing deal" instead of "when hell freezes over."

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the spirit! Though I certainly think it's possible Apple did their share of infringing. But the HTC stuff wasn't so much trade dress, was it?

Not the big case. That one was on the data detection patents

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #14 of 76

HTC settled because they are not making moolahs.

Samsung, on the other hand, will probably go all the way.

Koreans dont like to give in.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #15 of 76
I wonder if they will announce the details at the next quarterly conference call.
post #16 of 76

And this is how mature, professional businessmen work things out, unlike the egotistical mafia like goons in korea. Samscum think that because they can get away with bribing judges and buying favours from politicians, they feel invulnerable to any criticism. They even own the media in korea, print and television. Anyone who shows dissent against them go missing or end up in jail. You only have to read an open and honest report by a journalist who isn't in the pockets of samscum. This is a must read.

Well done fellas.

post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

This is a must read.

Well done fellas.

A good read indeed, thanks for that link.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #18 of 76

Since Apple sued Samsung and others, its shares have fallen by over $100+, Sales have fallen all over the world and samsung is beating them in sales, Apple is also losing cases against everyone in court that sues them... Companies are lining up to sue Apple.

I saw this coming when Apple shares were over $700.

I just hope Apple realize that they need to make more than one phone model/design to beat the market. one cannot rule them all anymore as people want different styles or bigger screens

Edited by Markussd - 11/11/12 at 2:35am
post #19 of 76
Yay!

This is good news and a good precedent, as mentioned above, that Apple is willing to reach an agreement with people who are also willing.
post #20 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In that case they also mistakenly wrote "agree to 10-year licensing deal" instead of "when hell freezes over."

Ha ha! maybe it's a typo.

post #21 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markussd View Post

Since Apple sued Samsung and others, its shares have fallen by over $100+, Sales have fallen all over the world and samsung is beating them in sales, Apple is also losing cases against everyone in court that sues them... Companies are lining up to sue Apple.

I just hope Apple realize that they need to make more than one phone model/design to beat the market. one cannot rule them all anymore as people want different styles or bigger screens

A good chunk of the loss is based on manipulation.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/09/apple-its-mojo-and-doug-kass/

There might be trouble ahead if Apple begins to make subpar products, sacrificing quality for market share, like in the 90s.

Apple gets sued for decades. I don't see them in a problematic legal position.

Apple will have to fight the doomsayer crowd forever.

If they make 10 billions of profit this crowd will cry it should be 11 billion!

They do this because it serves them well.

post #22 of 76

Quote:

Since Apple sued Samsung and others, its shares have fallen by over $100+, Sales have fallen all over the world and samsung is beating them in sales...

Sales have fallen? Where?! That would be big news if it were true. 1wink.gif

post #23 of 76
Quote:

Really? This all started with this: http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/110415samsungcomplaint.pdf on the 15th April 2011.

Share price then: 327.46

Share price now: 547.06

That sure is a drastic fall...isn't it?

post #24 of 76
Quote:

Given your first lead in sentence is an outright lie, I question the validity of he entire rest of he post.
post #25 of 76
If HTC continues on it's current path they might not be around in 10 yrs.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #26 of 76

Not sure how great this deal is. On one hand it shows that Apple is willing to license out and cross license patents with other mobile manufacturers, but on the flip side this protects HTC and gives them free reign with Android for the next 10 years which i'm sure is something Steve Jobs would have never done. 

post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

HTC settled because they are not making moolahs.

Samsung, on the other hand, will probably go all the way.

Koreans dont like to give in.

By all means, let's stereotype. Always a sure sign of intelligence.

Edited by ankleskater - 11/11/12 at 6:56am
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If HTC continues on it's current path they might not be around in 10 yrs.

Maybe that's why Apple did the deal. They want HTC to turn around their business and give Samsung for the Android money. If HTC sales climbs again, it will be at Samsung's expense rather than Apple's.

post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

This is a must read.

1hmm.gif

And people think that copying Apple is a serious crime ....

post #30 of 76
Quote:

Apple's shares and sales are both higher since the case started.

Most of the cases against Apple haven't been settled yet. However, I think Apple is losing most of the battles, but may have already won the war:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665235/how-samsung-designed-its-new-galaxy-nexus-to-skirt-apples-ip

post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post
…thus planting a seed of doubt regarding Samsung's attitude in the mind of any judge.

Except the UK ones, I guess, to which this should have been readily apparent upon the release of their first post-iPhone/Pad products… 

TS. Don't let your RDF get in the way of sanity. For one thing, Apple's settlement is just one of a number of ongoing litigations. For another it comes so late that one may easily reach the conclusion that if the court puts enough pressure on the parties then they will settle out-of-court. There is a good deal of evidence that the courts are just getting pissed by apple's self-righteousness and continual gaming of the system. Outside the US that has already swung against apple. (Don't place too much emphasis/credibility on the Duesseldorf court in Germany. It is the equivalent of East Texas).

You might also be wise to bear in mind that even the epochal Billion-Dollar Judgement is years and years away from becoming final. It may well not survive at all, or be substantially reduced. The appeals court (9-th Circuit) has ALREADY called Lucy Koh to order on a couple of points before the appeal has even been considered in full by that court, so it is by no means clear that Apple has good cards at that level. As they say, the show is not over until the fat lady sings.

It seems to have escaped a lot of readers here that while "not as cool" in reference to a Samsung product may be amusing. "Lack of Integrity" in relation to Apple itself is a pretty scathing comment. It does not bode well for Apple in the EU courts. Other Judges will read that judgement. Even US Judges do.

Apple's proven track record of stealing IP from others will not go down well. (Motorola (FRAND Patents), SysnetX, SB (clock)) are just some that come to mind.

My point is, that Apple is amazingly hypocritical in their accusations while not recognizing their own transgressions. 

Entertainment value :-) 

post #32 of 76
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

So… more anti-Apple whining and continued lies about things that are quite evidently true.

Keep it up. No, really. 😒

post #33 of 76
HT-who?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 76

Stereotyping Koreans is SOP in the business community.  The conformist nature of the culture and the acceptance of corruption as a natural part of business are not stereotypes, they are established facts about the culture.  This is not a new culture or one that will change easily.  A business partner of mine who visited Korea, this year, was shown an 800 year old village as part of his visit.  The guide pointed out a rope hanging from the door of the largest house in the village.  He explained that it was used by the Master of the house to lift himself up so his servants could change his shoes without allowing the Master to accidentally bow to anyone else in the village.  Obviously, this culture has changed in 800 years, but it has not lost all of it's authoritarian nature either.  It is no small coincidence that North Korea has resisted change even while it's larger neighbor and ally China has changed dramatically.  Stereotypes that are negative can indeed make for a weak argument.  On the other hand, ignoring know facts about a culture is not a good plan either.  

In America, the melting pot has offered many individuals a chance to escape from the limits of their native culture or to merely broaden their knowledge of the world.  Not all cultures are this open or unbound by tribalism, the daily struggle merely to survive, and religious doctrine.  It is no small coincidence that America continues to lead the world culturally and scientifically because of our open and mixed culture with far less ancient animosity between subcultures.  One of the weaknesses of American foreign policy is the assumption of our electorate and leaders that the rest of the world can easily have our cultural flexibility and openness.  Iraq, Afghanistan, and Viet Nam are examples of our pride blinding us to this difficult truth.  

Galbi's tone of comment does not give any confidence that he has spent any serious time thinking about Korea.  He is in my opinion, wrong in spirit, but factually correct.  

post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I wonder if they will announce the details at the next quarterly conference call.

No

post #36 of 76

But the details will be made available to some court at some injunction hearing, offered as proof that Apple can be made whole with money rather than a sales ban on some competitors product. It will also probably be redacted so that the public1wink.gif doesn't know the licensing details. 

post #37 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Maybe that's why Apple did the deal. They want HTC to turn around their business and give Samsung for the Android money. If HTC sales climbs again, it will be at Samsung's expense rather than Apple's.

Now HTC needs to do is release a flagship device on all carriers, the One X would've sold nicely on multiple carriers.
post #38 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Now HTC needs to do is release a flagship device on all carriers, the One X would've sold nicely on multiple carriers.

The One X that ruled them all. :)

But seriously, it's about leverage. Apple has it because of the cachet of iPhone. Samsung is gaining more (I could be wrong but it seems they have more freedom in product naming). HTC simply doesn't have it right now. Carriers demand branding of the phones, making it hard for HTC to create a meaningful identity. Some outside-the-box marketing is required.

post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Wouldn't it get interesting if Google were to buy HTC ? Is that even possible?

Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #40 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Wouldn't it get interesting if Google were to buy HTC ? Is that even possible?

Why? Does Google need to spend another $12.5 billion?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and HTC settle all patent litigation, agree to 10-year licensing deal