or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to begin trial production of 'iPhone 5S' in December

Rumor: Apple to begin trial production of 'iPhone 5S' in December

post #1 of 39
A new, questionable rumor out of Taiwan claims that Apple plans to begin trial production of a so-called "iPhone 5S" in December.

The details come from a report in Chinese-language newspaper Commercial Times, which was translated by DigiTimes on Monday. It claimed that initial production volumes of the new version of the iPhone 5 are likely to fall between 50,000 and 100,000 units.

"Facing low yield rates in the production of iPhone 5, Apple has accelerated the certification processes for related parts and components for the iPhone 5S," The report said.

Both Commercial Times and DigiTimes have poor track records with respect to Apple-related rumors. For example, years ago the newspaper claimed Apple was buying 9.7-inch LCD displays to build its own netbook, but it turned out the screens were instead used for the iPad.

iPhone 5

Monday's report also claimed that Apple is "likely to release a new version" of its iPad touchscreen tablet "a quarter later than the iPhone 5S." The report cited the display resolution of "its latest version of iPad" as being lower than expected, presumably a reference to the non-Retina display of the iPad mini.

Last month, Apple announced both the iPad mini with a 7.9-inch display, and a new fourth-generation iPad featuring a speedy A6X processor and new Lightning connector. But one well-connected insider has predicted that Apple will launch a lighter and thinner 9.7-inch iPad "as quickly as possible," since the fourth-generation iPad features the same weight and thickness as the third-generation model.
post #2 of 39
Where S stands for "Secure" ... time to bear fruit, AuthenTec acquisition
post #3 of 39
How are Apple going to produce a behind orders phone and a to be ordered in a year phone at the same time.
post #4 of 39
Kinda like this, even though I just got the 5. Think I'll just upgrade every single version, instead of waiting two years for some contract to expire. Although I don't have a contract anymore (I buy at full retail) I guess this is the cheapest way of always having the latest version.

This bi-yearly upgrade strategy will also silence the whiners that Apple doesn't use the latest tech in their products.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #5 of 39
My guess is that this phone is a custom phone for China Mobile.
The truth will set you free.
The truth will set you free.
post #6 of 39

Why does Appleinsider even post this kind of garbage?  People have been waiting for a month for their order to show up and Apple will begin production of the next phone?  Give me a break.

post #7 of 39
Good god why does AI still report on DigiTimes nonsense? Even worse who do people discuss this as if there's a lick of truth to it? Apple can't make iPhone 5's fast enough to keep up with demand yet they're going to start testing an iPhone 5S in December?!? Does nobody get how idiotic that sounds?!?
post #8 of 39
Here's something that would be more interesting to read than DigiTimes nonsense.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/12/a-dramatic-reading/
post #9 of 39
Honestly I think it would be a good idea for them to launch an upgraded iPhone every six months to to avoid the 4S letdown. For the first time in 5 years Samdung had the best selling phone in a quarter because the 4S left the iPhone brand long in the tooth and stale.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Honestly I think it would be a good idea for them to launch an upgraded iPhone every six months to to avoid the 4S letdown. For the first time in 5 years Samdung had the best selling phone in a quarter because the 4S left the iPhone brand long in the tooth and stale.

Dont forget that all these figures are estimates, neither Samsung nor Apple say exactly how many of each phone they have sold !  Samsung does not give any sales figures.

So by my estimates the Iphone sold more.

post #11 of 39

Not that I believe this, but reading is failing some. 

Quote:
"Facing low yield rates in the production of iPhone 5, Apple has accelerated the certification processes for related parts and components for the iPhone 5S," The report said.

I take that to mean, BECAUSE the iPhone 5 has such low yields, they are going to a different design that doesn't have low yields. The low yields are hurting Apple. Yah, it's great to have demand, but there are many that are turned off from even purchasing an iPhone 5 because they don't want to wait. Apple could move more phones if they had a version that could easily be built by Foxconn. 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #12 of 39
Considering the effect that new iPhone expectation has on existing iPhone version sales. If the competition wanted to hurt Apple's December (holiday) iPhone sales, this is exactly the kind of rumor that would do it. If this rumor gains any kind of credibility, Apple will be forced to issue a firm denial or face suppressed iPhone 5 sales in their most important quarter.

What a nasty rumor this could turn out to be.
post #13 of 39
Digitimes correctly predicted the iPad 3 in March and iPad 4 in October in January and the Microsoft Surface last year. They are cited for good reason.
post #14 of 39
Apple reports their iPhone sales, inventory, and sell through numbers.

Google does not report anything in this area. Neither does Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

I believe Samsung reports shipping numbers in toto for phone sets, but not per model or smartphones as a unit. None of S's numbers are sell through, just shipping numbers.

So, Apple provides the info; The rest, not so much.
post #15 of 39
50 to 100 Thousand? Hmmm.. Sounds like that's enough for Apple employees.
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The 4S stopped selling not because it was "long in the tooth and stale", but rather because the rumors of the iPhone 5 had evolved into rumblings and then became actual sightings.  The same thing would happen to the "5" even after only a few months if there were credible evidence that a 5S was imminent (such as what you get during a huge product ramp).   It's not like Apple could sneak a 5S in like the new iPad, because they have to build a heck of a lot more of them.  So I reach the opposite conclusion as you.  In my opinion, having a new product launch every 6 months would only double the number of "letdowns" we experience. 

I agree with an earlier poster.  If Apple is in fact building another version of the iPhone, then it is likely just an iPhone 5 custom-built for the China Mobile network.

Thompson

post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

My guess is that this phone is a custom phone for China Mobile.

My guess is that someone is trying to sabotage iPhone5 sales.

post #18 of 39
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
My guess is that someone is trying to sabotage iPhone5 sales.

Not many people have the guts to say that six month cycles will turn people off. But they will.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #19 of 39
Well at least it isn't a rumor about a new iPad...
post #20 of 39
I think the Digitimes does indeed have its source, but most of the time they are wrongly quoted. The 9.7inch panel and production of components tends to be quite accurate.

It could be a iPhone specially developed for China Mobile, or Mid - Low Cost market. The Phone price in China are ridiculously low as you could get a Quad Core Cortex A9 Android Phone for less then $150 now.
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

How are Apple going to produce a behind orders phone and a to be ordered in a year phone at the same time.

This might be used for testing purposes and they might be seeding it internally and maybe to key customers. That's the only thing I can think of.  if these phones are the Authentic ID phones then they have to go through a testing phase and since this sounds like that technology, they might want to have various large key customers test it to make sure it does what it's supposed to do until they are ready to release the final product.

post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

Well at least it isn't a rumor about a new iPad...

Well, if this is this authentic ID technology, it'll probably come out on the iPhone first and then the iPad.  But this is way down the road next year type of product.

post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not many people have the guts to say that six month cycles will turn people off. But they will.

People who say otherwise are geeks most probably.

Normal consumers don't want to think that their phone is out of date six months after they signed a two year contract on it.

post #24 of 39

23 posts for a Digitimes quoted article?  When will everyone learn?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #25 of 39
I tend to agree with emig647. If there is any truth in this report, it might relate to a redesigned iPhone 5 that's easier to manufacture, together with maybe (and I emphasize maybe!) a slight spec upgrade, what ever that might be.
post #26 of 39

I got a feeling this news is directed to slow down the sales of iPhone5.

post #27 of 39
The rumor of an iPhone 5S may be garbage -- or wishful thinking. If the yields needed for the iPhone 5 simply are not there, Apple has little choice but to modify. iPhone 5S means iPhone 5, Second try.
post #28 of 39
Perhaps it is not a new iPhone 5S design, but a version of the same spec'd iPhone 5 with an updated production process to improve quality assurance problems, or using parts from different vendors? 50,000 to 100,000 units is a drop in the bucket if a new iPhone was truly coming, but seem plausible if this is a test run to validate process or component changes.

Without a major redesign of the case, the only significant changes possible would be moving to the A6X, but those would probably go into a new retina mini iPad before a new iPhone.
post #29 of 39
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post
iPhone 5S means iPhone 5, Second try.

Funny, I thought the S stood for speed.

post #30 of 39
Quote:

...and I thought it stood for Siri. Did Apple ever say if the "S" was intended to mean anything in particular?

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #31 of 39
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
...and I thought it stood for Siri.

On the 3GS? lol.gif

Did Apple ever say if the "S" was intended to mean anything in particular?

They did specifically say "speed" for the 3GS and, if I remember correctly, jokingly said "is for Siri" on the 4S.

post #32 of 39

Utter bollocks.

post #33 of 39
Quote:

On the 3GS? lol.gif

They did specifically say "speed" for the 3GS and, if I remember correctly, jokingly said "is for Siri" on the 4S.

Maybe the iPhone 5s will get another feature which it will stand for maybe Super.
post #34 of 39
Quote:

… or /s

Cheers

post #35 of 39

Bogus.  A rumor started by Google and Samsung to slow the sale of the 5.

post #36 of 39
Wh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Bogus.  A rumor started by Google and Samsung to slow the sale of the 5.

Why would google do that, they would advertise it for themselves coming out with a new phone, not apple, because it would attract future costumers to apple, the only advantage is apple's profit growth held back, also it would show that they don't care about there costumers( they don't by why show) and google would rather compete not hold back costumers for apple instead of attract them, then again they try to make a phone that is" better than any iPhone 5S could be" but they still would not have proof.
post #37 of 39

iphone 5s? in what aspect will it make progress? the painting problem?

post #38 of 39
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
Why would google do that, they would advertise it for themselves coming out with a new phone, not apple, because it would attract future costumers to apple…

The opposite is true.

…the only advantage is apple's profit growth held back…

And Google would be just fine with that.

…also it would show that they don't care about there costumers…

How?

post #39 of 39

Seriously???

This kind of news really spoils the mood of owning the iPhone 5 to be honest. iPhone owner used to feel exclusive when they get their hands on the new iPhone but now, less than 3 months down after the launch, we're already talking about the production of iPhone 5s!

15" MBP 2009, 2.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD ; iPhone 5 64 GB Black ; 13" MBA 2012, 1.7 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 128 SSD

15" MBP 2009, 2.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD ; iPhone 5 64 GB Black ; 13" MBA 2012, 1.7 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 128 SSD

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to begin trial production of 'iPhone 5S' in December