or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's iMessage causes decline in U.S. text messaging, report says

Apple's iMessage causes decline in U.S. text messaging, report says - Page 2

post #41 of 55
How can you only do like 700 texts?!

Maybe he, like, you know, works for a living to pay his, like, um, phone bill? And everything.
post #42 of 55
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post
How can you only do like 700 texts?!
Maybe he, like, you know, works for a living to pay his, like, um, phone bill? And everything.

"MaB he u no wks 4A long 2 $ his fone bill n evrthng"

U meen.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboy123 View Post

Less than 700 texts?! I send 7,000 on a low month! I hit 16,000 in June. I literally did more than 1,000 in a day a few times. How can you only do like 700 texts?!

Are you one of those uninvited SMS-marketers?

post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Surely the carries don't recoup any lost revenue with some BS charge or fee. 

They probably do..

and don't call me Shirley.

post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Episode Seven will suck, do you think?

I didn't know they were making an Episode Seven. I just thought it was funny.

post #46 of 55
I'm confused. I use the Messages application on my iPhone and I do get charged for each of those messages by AT&T. It's not part of my data plan. What am I missing? Is my configuration wrong?
post #47 of 55
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
I use the Messages application on my iPhone and I do get charged for each of those messages by AT&T.

Because you're apparently sending SMS, not iMessages.

post #48 of 55
Quote:

I'm confused. I use the Messages application on my iPhone and I do get charged for each of those messages by AT&T. It's not part of my data plan. What am I missing? Is my configuration wrong?

It should be automatic. The recipient needs to have an iOS device running iOS 5 or newer. Blue text bubbles represent iMessages, green represents SMS. The entry message box would say "Text Message" or "iMessage" depending on the recipient.
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Episode Seven will suck, do you think?

As long as Georgie-boy has minimal input, I think it could possibly recapture some of the earlier magic of the series. Nothing will ever duplicate the experience of seeing Star Wars as a kid, but believe it or not, there are some creative new moviemakers out there. And for the record, my guess is the next trilogy will follow the offspring of Leia and Solo, and Luke and whoever he married. That would position the next generation of Star Wars actors in the Twilight demographic that sells so well these days.

Edited by SpamSandwich - 11/13/12 at 12:33pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #50 of 55
Quote:

Settings > Messages.

Make sure iMessage is set to On. This sends texts as iMessage to registered iOS devices over the data plan, not a messaging plan.

If iMessage is not On, everything gets sent as SMS (even to iOS users).

If the user is not iOS, it is sent as SMS on your messaging plan.

post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iMessage, as well as other data-based messaging apps, reportedly caused the first drop in U.S. text messaging in years, and the downward trend may continue as more wireless subscribers switch to smartphones.

... which is why all the carriers are slapping on unnecessary texting plans if people want more data.

Text messages are irrelevant in the iPhone age, when I can choose from 5-6 good apps that all allow messaging for free (including iMessage).

Texts are data. They are not special. We should not pay for them if we are already paying for data.

post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

For me, Messages seems to fall back to SMS if there isn't a detected data route to the recipient.

Yes, but there is an on/off setting for this. His friend may have had it turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post

I like iMessage - at least it keeps trying to send a message if it can't get through ( I think ).

Now, standard SMS on an iPhone has one major flaw in my opinion - unlike all other dumb phones ( and even my sh1tty Barcelona Android 2.2 work phone ) it does not keep trying to send the message if it fails first time due to lack of signal - the others all retry until it's sent.
I live in an area of bad signal and sometimes even with 1 bar the standard SMS may not send from the iphone, but unless you leave the Message app open you don't know it didn't go! 

I think this is pretty rubbish for a 'smart' phone.
No need to have the app open, you get a small red exclamation point on the Messages icon, even if you don't have the app open.
post #53 of 55
I quit my AT&T message plan because i only use iMessage and rarely have to pay for any green texts which I refuse to send if they aren't Free iMessage Blue.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #54 of 55
I have relegated the iMessage app to the last page of my of my new iPad mini. This is a short sided app at best and I'm surprise at apples lack of innovation. Imagine a texting app that work only to text other apple units ... segregation comes to mind. What a waste I wish I could trash it but it is part of the iso.
I'm using text it works well I'm sure Apple will get it, we live in a world of multi brand tablets and phones.
I'm an apple person and some of my friends an clients are not. I still need to communicate with them.
post #55 of 55

I'm a FUDhound. I can smell it a mile away.

Originally Posted by Geeman View Post
This is a short sided app at best and I'm surprise at apples lack of innovation.

*sniff sniff* FUD. Two, three days old.

Imagine a texting app that work only to text other apple units ... segregation comes to mind. 

YEAH, IMAGINE IF RESEARCH IN MOTION DID THE SAME TH—OH WAIT. 

"Segregation"? Come off it.

What a waste I wish I could trash it but it is part of the iso.

ISO? Come off it.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's iMessage causes decline in U.S. text messaging, report says