or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple granted design patents for page turning animation and iPad Smart Case

Apple granted design patents for page turning animation and iPad Smart Case

post #1 of 30
Among the multitude of patents Apple was awarded on Tuesday were two design properties for the page-turning animation seen in iOS apps like iBooks, and IP for the third-generation iPad's full-body case.

iBooks Page
iBooks page turning animation. | Source: USPTO

The page turning animation IP was first filed for in December 2011 as an ornamental design for a display screen. Much like other Apple design patents, the basic line drawing is adequate enough to get the basic feel for the animation. Users can interact with graphical elements closely resembling a piece of paper, using a finger to slowly curl the page over, or quickly turn the page with a swiping motion. The animation even allows for users to move their finger vertically, revealing the top or bottom portion of the next page much like a real bound book.

With iOS 6, Apple has a number of first-party apps that use such a "page curling" animation, including Maps and Calendar for iPad. Most recently, the animation was displayed prominently in an iPad mini ad that featured iBooks.

iPad Smart Case
Apple Smart Case for iPad.

The second design patent issued to Apple on Tuesday was for the iPad Smart Case first debuted alongside the third-generation tablet in 2011. Like the original Smart Cover, the Smart Case turns the attached iPad on and off by using magnetic sensors in the iPad that interact with magnets embedded in the top cover, but adds an extra layer of protection for the tablet's aluminum chassis.

When the newest fourth-generation iPad was unveiled in October, Apple announced that the design of the new tablet was identical to the previous iteration, making accessory swapping a non-issue.
post #2 of 30
WTH? What are they gonna patent next, touch ripple water effect?
post #3 of 30
I'm in a bit of a Bind here, a book is never 'binded' but 'bound'.

Sorry to be picky and all that.
post #4 of 30
Apple have done great work on both of these. Page turning on the iPad, is real and elegant and you can tell a lot of work has gone into it. The iPad cover also is a great idea. They've put a lot of R&D into these things and have every right to protect them under the patent system. If anyone can't deal with it, then cry to the bureaucrats, they make the laws, not Apple.
post #5 of 30

I remember very well seeing this on a NeXT computer with a Motorola 68040 (25 or 33 MHz not sure) with a video playing on the page. 

Steve Jobs Left Apple with NeXt and then he brought it back to Apple when he return. 

Could be a variation of the same patent.

Update: and on the back on the page we could see the video still playing but from the back. Very impressive for the CPU (but I admit the video was small and low resolution but still impressive for the time.

Edited by Franco Borgo - 11/13/12 at 5:37am
post #6 of 30
Both great technology's already on current iPads there great.
post #7 of 30
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post
WTH? What are they gonna patent next, touch ripple water effect?

What's your problem? 

And no, I don't mean "with Apple in general", even though that is the single most obvious use of that question possible. Nor do I mean it in the sense of "why are you wasting your life on a website about products you hate made by a company you hate", even though that's also quite valid.

I mean it in the sense of "This is a patent of an implementation of an idea, not an idea itself. Doesn't that go against all trolls' whining about granted patents?"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #8 of 30
Wasn't there an app that did the nice page turning before iBooks? Wonder if they just shrugged or feel piqued.
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

No need to apologize, someone was bound to notice
post #10 of 30
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post
No need to apologize, someone was bound to notice

These puns are making my spine tingle.

post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Wasn't there an app that did the nice page turning before iBooks? Wonder if they just shrugged or feel piqued.

Not sure of the exact dates. 'Eucalyptus' which came out in 2009 I think, had an effect that was similar but  superior to the previously released 'Classics' app. I still have both and the animation remains very good, although it seems to be buggy on iOS 6 (crashes).  I loved when it came out that it created a very believable illusion of actually flipping a page. Much better illusion than Classics and perhaps a little better than iBook IMO.

Edited by TeeJay2012 - 11/13/12 at 6:19am
post #12 of 30
I hate patent headlines that begin, "Apple wins…". Patents are not prizes to be "won". They are grants, made to an inventor for an invention that demonstrates novelty and is not obvious. Other examples of things that are granted to people are drivers' licenses, credit cards, loans, scholarly degrees. It is inappropriate to say that those things are "won".
post #13 of 30

Honestly, I don't understand how this patent was granted. I've seen this as 'prior art' on all sorts of systems for years and years, including web browser based Flash (or was it Shockwave?) animations for full screen document reading way back in the late 90s.

I'm all for Apple protecting their IP from rampant rip-offs, but this seems like the Patent registration people have not bothered to do any research at all.

post #14 of 30
The Kindle reading app on my iPad does this. Will they now have to pay Apple a royalty, or is their implementation significantly different I wonder?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #15 of 30

IMO, Apple should not be rewarded a patent on the IDEA of an animated page turn.   If they have some particular unique method of implementation, that might deserve a patent.    IMO, this is an obvious concept and it doesn't deserve a patent any more than the idea of a virtual trash can.

And having nothing to do with the patent aspect, doesn't Apple do it wrong?   Shouldn't it curl from the top (not that it matters)?   Who turns an actual paper page from the bottom?

post #16 of 30

These definitely both deserves patents. I was blown away when I first experienced/saw both, nothing existed like them before. Page turning might not seem like a big deal now, but it was damn impressive  when 1st shown off, and smartcase is just a genius design. 

post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

IMO, Apple should not be rewarded a patent on the IDEA of an animated page turn.

Patents are not awarded on ideas. This is a design patent. They are awarded for the "ornamental design" of something. In this case, Apple claimed that the ornamental design of the page turning animation is patented. I am surprised that this was granted.

post #18 of 30

Ummm, I thought patents weren't supposed to be incredibly obvious ideas?  A cover on a tablet is useful, incredibly obvious, hardly revolutionary, no matter how 'smart'.  Page turning animation for a book app.  Really?  What next, a patent on a virtual keyboard, or phone dial?  

post #19 of 30

I wonder if this is part of the skeuomorphics that Ive will be ditching. 

post #20 of 30
i'm a long time apple fan, but the patent office has clearly gone off its rocker. i can only imagine its staffed entirely by lawyers who plan on retiring to a texas patent law office within the next year.
>>< drow ><<
>>< drow ><<
post #21 of 30
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
I wonder if this is part of the skeuomorphics that Ive will be ditching. 

Highly doubt it.

post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's your problem? 

And no, I don't mean "with Apple in general", even though that is the single most obvious use of that question possible. Nor do I mean it in the sense of "why are you wasting your life on a website about products you hate made by a company you hate", even though that's also quite valid.

I mean it in the sense of "This is a patent of an implementation of an idea, not an idea itself. Doesn't that go against all trolls' whining about granted patents?"

i dont even know what you just wrote...
post #23 of 30
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post
i dont even know what you just wrote...

Sorry. This patent is in line with what people who nondescriptly complain about the patent system desire from their patents. What could possibly be the problem with it now?

post #24 of 30
Im sorry, WHAT? This effect was all over the web, for at least last 5[plus] years, even back in the days when phone could work on one charging for a week, not 12 hours.

Apple will become the biggest patent troll ever. Innovation my a**.
Edited by maniek40 - 11/14/12 at 3:56am
post #25 of 30
Originally Posted by maniek40 View Post
Im sorry, WHAT? This effect was all over the web, for at least last 5[plus] years, even back in the days when phone could work on one charging for a week, not 12 hours.
Apple will become the biggest patent troll ever. Innovation my a**.

If we had a chalkboard filled with tick marks of people who didn't read the thread or patent, we'd need a new chalkboard by now.

post #26 of 30
Quote:

If we had a chalkboard filled with tick marks of people who didn't read the thread or patent, we'd need a new chalkboard by now.
So, wich part I didnt read? Apple patented flippage effect, that was available for years, ie in here http://pageflip.hu/ in the exact form.
post #27 of 30
The images show the page turning from right to left, why didn't they patent the page being flipped back?
post #28 of 30
...and now we have more proof that innovation is still alive, courtesy of the US Patent Office. They've just allowed a patent for another completely new concept: 
a Mobile App Development Platform! That's thinking outside the box. 

Just as the recipient company should to protect their investors, they've announced they "plan on strictly enforcing our patent with other companies that currently provide similar types of services,” said Scott Hirsch, founder and CEO, Appsbar. “Until Appsbar, novice tech users, small businesses, general consumers and more had to rely on an entire internal design and software team or hire a costly agency for the design, creation and publication of apps.”

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/innovation/articles/20121116/02165221072/patent-office-perhaps-forgetting-what-year-it-is-locks-down-mobile-app-development-platforms.shtml

Thank goodness we have software patents or all tech innovation would screech to a halt. 

melior diabolus quem scies
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

I don't get that either. It reads like an 8th grader's mistake. I can't correct the front page story, but I fixed the forum copy.

Quote:

The thing is, for this case, the patent itself doesn't have much to read. Here is what I found:
Quote:
FIG. 1 is a front view of a a display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface showing a first image in the sequence showing our new design;

FIG. 2 is a second image thereof; and,

FIG. 3 is a third image thereof.

The broken lines in the Figures show portions of a display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface and portions of the display screen or portion thereof which form no part of the claimed design.

The appearance of the animated images sequentially transitions between the images shown in FIGS. 1-3. The process or period in which one image transitions to another forms no part of the claimed design.

The text really doesn't add anything. I don't think this patent is impressive. I'm pretty sure this was available a few years ago with Flash, being used to simulate flipping through a weekly ad flyer for a few large chains.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/17/12 at 9:57am
post #30 of 30

The validity of these patents have now been challenged too.

http://www.whda.com/blog/2013/01/more-oracle-inter-partes-review-requests-filed-week-of-december-24-2012/

#4 and #5 under the ex-parte exam listings.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple granted design patents for page turning animation and iPad Smart Case