or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple begins shipping LTE-capable iPad mini models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple begins shipping LTE-capable iPad mini models

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Customers on Tuesday began receiving word from Apple's online store that their orders for the new iPad mini with LTE connectivity have begun shipping.

Shipping


Multiple readers indicated to AppleInsider Tuesday morning that they began receiving shipment notifications for their iPad mini with cellular data. The orders are scheduled to arrive this Friday, Nov. 16.

Customers have begun receiving word that both the black and slate as well as the white and silver colors of the iPad mini are on their way.

Apple began informing customers last week that their iPad mini with LTE would ship within five business days. iPad mini models with mobile data were first advertised to begin shipping in "a few weeks," but a specific launch date was not given.

The Wi-Fi-only iPad mini launched earlier this month in 34 countries alongside the new fourth-generation iPad. Together, the devices sold more than 3 million units over the launch weekend.

Apple's online store quickly sold out of all models of the iPad mini when they first went on sale. The company's most popular model over the launch weekend was the 16-gigabyte white and silver model.

In addition to direct sales through Apple, the new iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad are also available through AppleInsider sponsor MacMall by calling 888-338-6102 or visiting their website.
post #2 of 56
Well, it looks like Apple will sell maybe a couple of million iPad mini with cellular data capabilities to add to the other iPad mini sales.


And how many Surface RT's have been sold? Probably not nearly as many...... Oh, so sorry.........
post #3 of 56

I finally got a chance to play around with the iPad mini in Best Buy over the weekend. My biggest concern going in was the screen, however; my concerns were unwarranted. While not as "crisp" as the Retina iPad, it still looked very nice. Unless I had my eyes a few inches away from the screen, the drop in screen quality wasn't that much of an issue to me.

 

After that hands-on, I decided that I'm cashing in my CC rewards to buy one.

post #4 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

.
And how many Surface RT's have been sold? ....

10 million.

Oh wait you meant to customers, not channel. 5. No not 5 million. Just 5. And 4 of them were returned the next day.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I finally got a chance to play around with the iPad mini in Best Buy over the weekend. My biggest concern going in was the screen, however; my concerns were unwarranted.

I think a lot of folks say the res was the same as the iPad 2 and forgot that a smaller size means a larger PPI thus it looks better. And when you add in the smaller battery size and the greater power needs of a retina screen it's easy to see why they went for the display they did. Battery life is THE spec for Apple's devices since that is the one that everyone understands.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #6 of 56

I have an IPAD third generation and have ordered the 4th generation.

 

2 days ago I bought the IPAD mini for my children.  That was the reason I gave to my wife, but really I was more keen to try it out for myself.

 

I have to say, the screen is good enough, other than very small fonts on certain websites and some magazines, the screen is good enough for everything else.

 

In fact, I enjoy using it so much because of its portability and weight that I am now considering getting the IPAD mini cellular and cancelling my IPAD 4th generation.

 

My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6 or IPAD 5 with reduced weight.  Unfortunately, these options are not available now.

 

I suppose now it is a question of IPAD mini cellular landing at a shop nearby first before Apple shipped the IPAD 4 to me.  Under this scenario, I would be very tempted to get the IPAD mini cellular.  Mean time, the debate will continue as I handle the IPAD mini and my current IPAD 3 for the next few days.

post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

I have an IPAD third generation and have ordered the 4th generation.

 

2 days ago I bought the IPAD mini for my children.  That was the reason I gave to my wife, but really I was more keen to try it out for myself.

 

I have to say, the screen is good enough, other than very small fonts on certain websites and some magazines, the screen is good enough for everything else.

 

In fact, I enjoy using it so much because of its portability and weight that I am now considering getting the IPAD mini cellular and cancelling my IPAD 4th generation.

 

My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6 or IPAD 5 with reduced weight.  Unfortunately, these options are not available now.

 

I suppose now it is a question of IPAD mini cellular landing at a shop nearby first before Apple shipped the IPAD 4 to me.  Under this scenario, I would be very tempted to get the IPAD mini cellular.  Mean time, the debate will continue as I handle the IPAD mini and my current IPAD 3 for the next few days.

I am going from iPad 3rd gen to the mini - its just so much lighter to hold and carry - 

 

I have ordered some of each - ATT and Verizon - only Verizon shipping so far 

post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

I have an IPAD third generation and have ordered the 4th generation.

 

2 days ago I bought the IPAD mini for my children.  That was the reason I gave to my wife, but really I was more keen to try it out for myself.

 

I have to say, the screen is good enough, other than very small fonts on certain websites and some magazines, the screen is good enough for everything else.

 

In fact, I enjoy using it so much because of its portability and weight that I am now considering getting the IPAD mini cellular and cancelling my IPAD 4th generation.

 

My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6 or IPAD 5 with reduced weight.  Unfortunately, these options are not available now.

 

I suppose now it is a question of IPAD mini cellular landing at a shop nearby first before Apple shipped the IPAD 4 to me.  Under this scenario, I would be very tempted to get the IPAD mini cellular.  Mean time, the debate will continue as I handle the IPAD mini and my current IPAD 3 for the next few days.

 

This could be another problem or AAPL. IPad users finding out just how good the mini is, so they stop ordering the iPad 4 (and any other big iPads in the future). That means customers would spend a lot less on iPads in the future.

post #9 of 56
The LTE iPad mini is Apple's best iPad because it is the most balanced, useful and cheap SKU amongst the lot.

It's half the weight and has a good screen that is very LTE friendly. All the other Retina and HD pads will chew up bandwidth like nothing else. It still runs the entire library like iPad 2.

I'd say Apple should have marketed it as iPad Air or iPad Travel vs iPad Retina Power. Used it for 2 weeks now. Am thinking of exchanging or a cellular one in time for my Thanksgiving trip.
post #10 of 56

I am not worried about the mini cannibilizing the big brother.

 

The tablet market is a growing market.  Apple just sold 100 million big IPAD for last 2 years?

 

Let's consider a few scenarios which I think are highly possible.

 

Scenario 1: Without mini, Apple sold another 100 million next 2 years.

 

Scenario 2: Without mini, Apple sold another 80 million next 2 years with some sales lost to price sensitive buyers.

 

Scenario 3: With mini, Apple sold only 50 million IPAD but sold 150 million mini for next 2 years.

 

Under scenario 3, Apple doubled their IPAD sales.  Cannibalization is not an issue at all.

When I plugged the mini into my itune, the itune just shows it as an "IPAD".  To apple, an ipad is an ipad. 

 

Now I am not an analyst and the numbers above are used conveniently merely for illustration, they are not professional sales projections.

 

It's the same thing with the Ipod classic, nano, shuffle and touch again. 

 

In another thread, I predicted easily 30% or more of the 100 miillion existing IPAD users would be keen to get the mini. 

After my own 2 days experience, I think the percentage could be higher over time.

And we are not even talking about new converts or new tablet buyers. 

Ipad mini looks like a winner going forward.

 

On another unrelated topic, I have a feeling Apple has alread priced 'retina display' into the ipad mini.

Seeing how Apple likes to keep price constant while improvising new tablet offerings, I can imagine in some future product launch Apple annoucing all the goodies and ugprades for IPAD mini "with no price hike" ....

I am ok to pay a bit more, as long as Apple continues to produce great product.

post #11 of 56
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

Scenario 3: With mini, Apple sold only 50 million IPAD but sold 150 million mini for next 2 years.

Yeah, that's the only possible conclusion that could ever be reached. 😒

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, that's the only possible conclusion that could ever be reached. 😒

didnt he just suggest 3 possible scenarios, why are you claiming scenario 3 as a conclusion?

post #13 of 56
@wisely: "My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6" - ditto 1wink.gif
post #14 of 56
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post
didnt he just suggest 3 possible scenarios, why are you claiming scenario 3 as a conclusion?


Because it's the only real one, and therefore the only one that can matter going forward. I would have been fine if he had listed multiple possible solutions moving forward from this date, but he only put that one—the massively unrealistic one.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCaseReview View Post

@wisely: "My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6" - ditto 1wink.gif


I have to agree.  I thoroughly enjoyed the mini but ultimately returned it due to the display.

post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post


I have to agree.  I thoroughly enjoyed the mini but ultimately returned it due to the display.

I think you are lying. If you're not lying, I think you're too fickle to be going into Apple stores.
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

 

This could be another problem or AAPL. IPad users finding out just how good the mini is, so they stop ordering the iPad 4 (and any other big iPads in the future). That means customers would spend a lot less on iPads in the future.

I am sure Apple will not be taken by surprise that the iPad mini becomes the new de facto standard iPad. That is why they priced it like they did. People may opt for the smaller size because of the price, but I think more people will opt for the smaller iPad for the reasons posters have mentioned above.

post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCaseReview View Post

@wisely: "My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6" - ditto 1wink.gif

The question is: If the mini gets a retina display (same screen real estate as the larger iPad) and the same processor - why the 9.7" iPad?


Edited by paxman - 11/13/12 at 9:10am
post #19 of 56

Wow! Mine was supposed to ship Nov 21 and I just found out it shipped today! Fabulous!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #20 of 56
I ended up getting both the Retina iPad and the mini.

If they release a Retina mini, I will still get the regular res one just because of the saving of $$$ for the data usage. I don't know if they can hit the same weight metric when they add batteries and Retina display to the mini in the next revision. May have to wait longer.

For sharp display, I will use the Retina one especially if they start making work and productivity related software that works well with iPad.
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The question is: If the mini gets a retina display (same res as the larger iPad) and the same processor - why the 9.7" iPad?

Well, speed, better quality plus other stuff we probably have not seen yet, like the finger printing tech they bought.
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post


Well, speed, better quality plus other stuff we probably have not seen yet, like the finger printing tech they bought.

So maybe a renaming is in the works - iPad (7.9) and iPad Pro (9.7)

post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow! Mine was supposed to ship Nov 21 and I just found out it shipped today! Fabulous!

anyone found out if any ATT unit shipped yet - seems just Verizon?

post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

So maybe a renaming is in the works - iPad (7.9) and iPad Pro (9.7)

My cellular Retina iPad (AT&T) has shipped ! Will let you know how they match up when I use it for a week.

For now, the mini accompanies me everywhere I go. It even fits into my wife's tiny bag, she used to remove the iPad from her larger bag everytime I slipped it in.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

didnt he just suggest 3 possible scenarios, why are you claiming scenario 3 as a conclusion?

Because 1&2 are sans the iPad mini which are negated because it does now exist.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


I think you are lying. If you're not lying, I think you're too fickle to be going into Apple stores.


You are welcome to your opinion.  Notice I didn't say the display was terrible, however after using a retina iPad, retina iPhone, and retina MacBook Pro it's easy to notice the difference.

post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The question is: If the mini gets a retina display (same screen real estate as the larger iPad) and the same processor - why the 9.7" iPad?

How could a 7.9 screen have the same real estate as a 9.7 screen? Same resolution yes but not the same size.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #28 of 56
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
…why the 9.7" iPad?

 

A screen size that is actually usable.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A screen size that is actually usable.

Not just the size, the mini is usable for all my friends who tried it too.

I think the visible screen estate is a lot more useful for some apps and content. It's splendid over Wifi (and LTE if you can afford it)
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


How could a 7.9 screen have the same real estate as a 9.7 screen? Same resolution yes but not the same size.

OK, maybe I am getting confused but if the dpi is higher is the resolution the same? If what you see on the smaller screen is a shrunken version of the larger, is the real estate not the same? 

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

A screen size that is actually usable.

Are you finding the mini screen size makes apps hard to use? If the purpose of the larger iPad is to serve those with poor eyesight or chubby fingers it definitely will sell less than the mini. I suspect there will always be a performance and feature difference.

post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow! Mine was supposed to ship Nov 21 and I just found out it shipped today! Fabulous!

anyone found out if any ATT unit shipped yet - seems just Verizon?

Mine is AT&T

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #33 of 56

I'm very happy about this.  Mine was supposed to arrive on November 21, but I was going to be away for Thanksgiving, and moving to a new house when I returned. 

 

I sold my iPad 2 for the mini and my iPad 3 for the iPad 4, so now I'm iPad-less until the mini comes.

post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

OK, maybe I am getting confused but if the dpi is higher is the resolution the same? If what you see on the smaller screen is a shrunken version of the larger, is the real estate not the same? 

The resolution is the same as iPad 2 (same number of pixels) but the pixels are smaller thus the device has a higher pixel density making everything smaller but sharper.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post


You are welcome to your opinion.  Notice I didn't say the display was terrible, however after using a retina iPad, retina iPhone, and retina MacBook Pro it's easy to notice the difference.

I looked at some of your recent posts. It appears you did buy a mini, and were not making up the usual trollish negative stuff that comes in when Apple releases something new. So apologies for one accusation, but my other criticism applies.

The thing is, you say you "thoroughly enjoyed" the mini, but you still returned it. You say you're familiar with the retina screens from the other three device categories, but you still bought it.

I still find it shocking that people will stick others with the results of just a bad decision on their part, and blithely return a valuable thing that has been opened, handled and basically ruined as a new device. Yes, I'm old fashioned, at least in this area of values. I try to keep up in other areas.
post #36 of 56

In my 3 scenarios, I am mainly trying to explain Apple will only be concerned with the total IPAD shipment numbers in future.

 

Analysts are short-sighted people, they are worried about margin and margin of mini will likely go up in future when the volume and economies of scale kicks in.

 

It's not a foregone conclusion that ipad mini will become the de-factor ipad in future.

 

What if Apple manages to 'slim' down the 9.7 IPAD and lose 20 to 30% of its current weight?  Under this scenario, my scale would be tipped.  I would prefer the 9.7 ipad.

 

For now, we assume we will be happy with mini + Retina + A6, but what if IPAD 5 comes with A7 that is double or triple the performance of A6?  Hmm...we will wish for mini with Retina + A7 1wink.gif then.

post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The resolution is the same as iPad 2 (same number of pixels) but the pixels are smaller thus the device has a higher pixel density making everything smaller but sharper.

Yes, but the problem is that there is no clear definition of what resolution means. Ppi is a better way of describing how sharp a screen image is (it is the measure of resolution in a printed image - dpi). Screen real estate is directly linked to ppi, and not screen size. So it gets confusing because the mini has a higher ppi than an iPad 2 but the same resolution, the same screen real estate but a smaller screen.

post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

 

This could be another problem or AAPL. IPad users finding out just how good the mini is, so they stop ordering the iPad 4 (and any other big iPads in the future). That means customers would spend a lot less on iPads in the future.

yes...

 

now.. several semi-related thoughts...

 

the gross margin is the same.  just less revenue, which means they can build more for the same price... and assuming it's competitive, more people will buy it.  It will all wash out.

 

 

The RD mini (my guess less than a year) will push that price point back up a bit.

 

My personal opinion... 'i'TV is a TV with appleTV built in.   with an iPad Mini, I'll want to buy a 19" TV for the Kitchen, a 37" for the bedroom, and a 55" for the home theatre, and my mini is the controller.  I move from room to room, and I just AirPlay them to the local TV (eventually being 'automatic' based on self-detection/GPS).    Minimally, everyone buying AppleTVs to make their current TVs AirPlay enabled will net-net more revenue over the 2 year life of the devices.

 

the 10" iPad becomes the iPad 'Pro'  and is a 'new line' of capabilities that make 'docking'  with 'work' and 'home' stations a breeze. (the cost is the same, but the docks are the revenue add

 

EcoSystem.  We need to see the transition from the device generating the profit, to the device generating the 'ecosystem upsell.'  (apps, content, cloud services, peripherals).

 

Bottom line... If apple doesn't cannabalize their own products, someone else will, and that AppleID/CreditCard pair goes dormant.

post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Mine is AT&T

thanks - i plan on leaving town Nov 20 - and I was hoping my ATT mini will arrive in time to join me. Wife's Verizon mini will be here this Friday - and would be envious -

post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The resolution is the same as iPad 2 (same number of pixels) but the pixels are smaller thus the device has a higher pixel density making everything smaller but sharper.

Yes, but the problem is that there is no clear definition of what resolution means. Ppi is a better way of describing how sharp a screen image is (it is the measure of resolution in a printed image - dpi). Screen real estate is directly linked to ppi, and not screen size. So it gets confusing because the mini has a higher ppi than an iPad 2 but the same resolution, the same screen real estate but a smaller screen.

The problem is that Real Estate is not a defined computer term. Resolution in computer screens is defined by the number of pixels in the Y direction by the number of pixels in the X direction. The pixel size can vary which changes the PPI. For example if a developer designs a button that is 100 pixels wide, if you measured it using a physical handheld ruler it will be smaller on the iPad mini than on the iPad 2 as will the text. With text, in certain circumstances, there can be some odd exceptions which could actually lead to layout and legibility issues.

 

With the iPad 3-4 screen Apple has made software adjustments which make the buttons twice their pixel dimensions rather than display them at the original size. In other words they scale the entire layout to match the size of the iPad 2 at the new screen resolution. In the case of rMBP they actually allow you to choose how you want to use the additional resolution using either pixels or by measurement.

 

On the desktop we have been dealing with this for a long time. Many modern screens are 96 dpi whereas software generally uses 72 dpi as the default. This means that if you use a program such as inDesign that allows you to select show page at 100%, the page actually measures about 25% smaller than 8-1/2" x 11".


Edited by mstone - 11/13/12 at 11:35am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple begins shipping LTE-capable iPad mini models