or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Gates' support of Ballmer led to Microsoft ouster of Sinofsky - report

Gates' support of Ballmer led to Microsoft ouster of Sinofsky - report - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

And in related news, Sinofsky and Forstall are forming a band.

The Forskys it's called.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #42 of 76

lots of pressure at these places

post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So many things make me wonder exactly what it is Ballmer has on Gates ... 1wink.gif

in or on?

post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not on my system. Everything looks fine. The trouble is on your end my friend.

safari on MBP retina - what can i do?

post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm getting a lot of ? also when the stories first appear. I'm pretty sure Tallest goes in and fixes them.Likely the difference is between the forum doctype and charset parameters and the home page doctype.

yup they are all gone now

post #46 of 76
not sure Ballmer is the one to support

Dell staff muzzled with customers on certain windows 8 questions, tells you something
post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The competition ate Microsoft's lunch years ago. 

It's already too late. 

Windows 8, Surface, and Microsoft's entire, years-late push into mobile has resulted in next to nothing. The whole effort is stillborn, and has been for some time now. 

The *real* problem aint Sinofsky. It's Ballmer. And the entire MS board. 

Whether or not MS's push into mobile will bear fruit, they have been a money machine for several decades, so no one has eaten their lunch.

It is quite clear that Mr. Ballmer is not missing any meals.
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Scoble of Scobilizer fame is saying his contacts at MS are shocked. He is shocked.

I get the impression that Sinofsky had his act together. This seems kind of sad.

Take Scoble in small doses and with a healthy level of skepticism. He's a bit of a drama queen.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

The fact that Microsoft allows a new PC the ability to downgrade to Windows 7 shows a spectacular lack of confidence in their decision to move toward Windows 8.

I think it's for business support. Pro versions have had that for over a decade. I have an old business notebook that had two license codes on its sticker, for XP and Windows 2000, and it included media for both.

Quote:
Can you imagine trying to run Windows 8 with its active live tiles on a PC even a year old?

I don't think it works well on a computer without touch screen capability.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/13/12 at 1:35pm
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, Forstall is still a Senior Advisor to Tim Cook, whereas Sinofsky left and I don't know if he will still be used as an advisor.

The answer to that question is whether non compet clauses are enforceable for Sinofsky

Here in Cali, once you leave a company they are not enforceable. In the TV industry if we want to keep someone from signing up for another project while we have the character in a coma or whatever we pay them for the missing eps. Cause if they are being paid for the time we can tell them what they can and can't do. Same in other industries, like tech. Forstall's advisor position is a way to keep him on the pay roll but away from new stuff until they reach a point where he knows nothing so there's no real issue with him running to wherever

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

ballmer has been with microsoft long enough to be guilty of anything bad they did

True, mutual self destruction guaranteed ... LOL
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #52 of 76

If any of you watch the Men Who Made American I was thinking that Gates and Ballmer reminded me of Carnegie and Frick. Carnegie was the genius and caring business person and Frick who he hire was the Intimidating business bully, the only difference is Carnegie was smart enough to fire Frick before he lost all of Carnegie money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think Gates is afraid of Ballmer.  Ballmer can be a little intimidating to someone like Bill.  Bill is a little passive and Ballmer is VERY aggressive.  Plus, I don't know if Sinofsky has the CEO attitude Microsoft wants.

I guess maybe Bill like Ballmer's Monkee dance routine. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So many things make me wonder exactly what it is Ballmer has on Gates ... 1wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I actually suspect it was Sinofsky's decision to leave, not an MS initiated 'shake up'.

It was probably triggered by the total train wreck and embarrassment of the "keynote" introducing the Surface, where it was apparent to me it had been rushed out the door unfinished, and probably against Sinofsky's wishes (and he has to take the credit (or blame) for that). Windows 8 is a schizophrenic mess, with most people I talk to saying that Metro is a worthless, confusing layer of distracting and pointless eye-candy… Ballmer's sudden pressure to "consolidate everything" is causing no small amount of problems, I'm sure...

To be honest, I'd guess that it's Ballmer that is "hard to work with"... Not Sinofsky.

Someone else commented that Ballmer probably intimidates Gates, and I can easily imagine some truth to that as well. He's a very aggressive personality. And he can out double-speak ANYONE… who knows what he has that Gates "supports"… but it sure isn't the track record of the past 5 years or so. MS is slowly listing, and given its current trajectory, will be relegated to the irrelevant sidelines within a short couple of years...

Here's wishing both Sinofsky and Forstall all the best. They're both talented individuals who have contributed quite a lot to my modern "computing device" experience. Who knows, maybe they'll form a new company together. That'd be interesting! 

post #53 of 76

Why is this story identified as a "report"? It's a gently massaged rehash of work that came from All Things D. Just like many of the stories here are taken directly from other sources, give some lipstick and slapped on the front page.

Maybe more original reporting could be done here? Surely with the thousands upon thousands of visitors here daily some of them have some "insider" info?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #54 of 76
Will the blatant copying ever end? First, they copy Apple's MacOS. Then they copy Apple's stores. Now they even copy how Apple fires its executives!

Seriously!
1wink.gif
post #55 of 76
Quote:

Whether or not MS's push into mobile will bear fruit, they have been a money machine for several decades, so no one has eaten their lunch.

You can't buy cachet. You can't buy taste.

But you sure as shit can zune your entire strategy. 

post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

If any of you watch the Men Who Made American I was thinking that Gates and Ballmer reminded me of Carnegie and Frick. Carnegie was the genius and caring business person and Frick who he hire was the Intimidating business bully, the only difference is Carnegie was smart enough to fire Frick before he lost all of Carnegie money.

I have never forgiven that Scot Carnegie for ultimately being responsible for changing the spelling of so many English words in America (luckily most of the words he wanted to change never did).

... (digitalclips now runs for cover ... ) 1wink.gif
post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You can't buy cachet. You can't buy taste.

But you sure as shit can zune your entire strategy. 

Yep, 'zune' should soon be a verb.
post #58 of 76

As per usual, MS stands back, takes a long hard look at things, and makes precisely the WRONG move!

They fired the wrong Steve, by miles.  Surely Gates knows better, and can see the nonstop trail of wreckage that Ballmer has left.

All in all this is great for Apple.  But it kinda takes the fun out of things when your competitors kill themselves.1smoking.gif

post #59 of 76
Balmer is an idiot and is 99% of the reason why MS stock hasn't grown at all in the last 10 years.
post #60 of 76

Sinofsky's legacy will one of skipping around on stage telling us how freakin' GREAT the Surface is.

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #61 of 76

Say what you will about Sinofsky, he continued to tweet good things about Windows 8 until the news of departure was announced. Thereafter, he is still gracious.

Forstall too has not changed his tweeting style - nary a tweet still.

post #62 of 76
Quote:

Cruel (though fair).

No, it's just plain childish. It's getting hard to take anything said here seriously. They should insist on people being over the age of 10 (years).

philip

post #63 of 76
Quote:

Yes, I am sure you could run MS much better. Why don't you coach the Lakers, while you are at it?

It doesn't matter, yours is a false argument. If someone has a job, we expect them to be good at their job or they should find some other job suited for their talents. Microsoft has been stagnant under a decade of Balmer's watch, and if that's not a reasonably objective reason to question his leadership, then what is?
post #64 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by markLouis View Post

[...] Internet Explorer integrates really well with OneNote.

Having no idea what that is, I looked at Microsoft's site. Lots of FLASHING BANNERS! and LOUD HEADERS! and LINKS TO HOW OTHERS ARE USING ONENOTE! but NOT ONE WORD that answers my question: "What the hell is it? What does it DO?!"

That's the third time in the last month or two I've looked for information about a new software product, only to find that the developer assumes I already know what it is, what it does and why I want it. That also makes it the third time in the last month or two I've left my credit card in my wallet.

post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you have a place Fry's Electronics near you, you can obtain a left over OEM version of 7 by buying something small like a case fan and then you qualify as a computer builder thus allowing the OEM version at a discount. I think there are some online retailers who also use that workaround, maybe New Egg or Tiger Direct.

That costs even more, but it would at least include extra media and mean less of a run-around.
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

As per usual, MS stands back, takes a long hard look at things, and makes precisely the WRONG move!

They fired the wrong Steve, by miles.  Surely Gates knows better, and can see the nonstop trail of wreckage that Ballmer has left.

All in all this is great for Apple.  But it kinda takes the fun out of things when your competitors kill themselves.1smoking.gif

I agree with you. However MS isn't so competent as to actually kill themselves.

I wish Ballmer a long life at the helm of Microsoft. It will give me years of entertainment as the company staggers and gropes around in their confused attempt to regain relevance in this new century with last century's thinking.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #67 of 76
Quote:

Apparently, the MSFT board does not have problems with Ballmer. Probably because it knows that his job is very difficult. Their software runs 90% of the world's computers still, so they really can't make incompatible changes (which Apple makes all the time, even with their "pro" applications), and their Office suite is likewise ubiquitous. You want to develop new stuff (to keep up with the changes in the computing world) without killing your cash cow. Who else succeeded in this? IBM, maybe. A lot of companies have fallen by the wayside (when was the last time you heard of Novell)? and the fact that Ballmer has kept MS making money and also kept it somewhat relevant (think XBox) is a testament to a considerable measure of skill. Idiotic statements from monday morning quarterbacks notwithstanding. Could someone else do a better job? Perhaps, but we will never know. Could someone do a worse job. Certainly.

You may have missed the memo that the MSFT board recently gave Ballmer a cut in wages due to his sub-par performance. It may have been that action that emboldened Sinofsky to make a play for the CEO chair.

In a few months we will see if the techicolor-tiled Windows 8 is successful or whether there will be a general back-peddling from this visual nightmare. Ballmer has some work to do to keep the mother-ship afloat and he's pumping out the bilge too slowly. It took Ballmer SIX years to come up with a smart phone that still doesn't seem to be a success. Less time to come up with tablet that's a poor tablet and a poor laptop that requires a desk top to prop it up in front of a terrible keyboard... that is admittedly running beta OS. 

post #68 of 76
Quote:

This is among the most cryptic posts I have seen in my young life.

Haha, don't worry, all you need is good education, being 'young' there is still time for you. 1wink.gif

It is a fascinating topic that seemingly isn't taught in the schools you have attended thus far or perhaps you missed class the day it was.

Meanwhile I'd suggest learning how to use Google. It's the obvious tool for a keen young mind lacking knowledge. Try typing a few of the key words ... Spelling / English / Carnegie (all in my post)

Here, I'll do it for you ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Spelling_Board

Enjoy learning 1smile.gif
post #69 of 76
Apparently, you can't buy a clue, either, since your post makes no sense whatever.

It reads perfectly fine. With what are you confused?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Having no idea what that is, I looked at Microsoft's site. Lots of FLASHING BANNERS! and LOUD HEADERS! and LINKS TO HOW OTHERS ARE USING ONENOTE! but NOT ONE WORD that answers my question: "What the hell is it? What does it DO?!"

That's the third time in the last month or two I've looked for information about a new software product, only to find that the developer assumes I already know what it is, what it does and why I want it. That also makes it the third time in the last month or two I've left my credit card in my wallet.

Yep, and I googled for Skydrive pricing plans and all the hits were to others talking about Skydrive. Well, the first return on Skydrive was an MS site link, but it was a Skydrive FAQ, but no pricing information. I couldn't find it anywhere. I gave up. Isn't that wonderful?

post #71 of 76
"You can't buy cachet"? Firstly, you can…

I'm almost positive he didn't mean definition 3.

So no, you can't buy it.

…if you believe that there is a universal standard of taste, you certainly can…

How does that make sense?

(e.g., I am pretty sure if you gave Jonny Ive a nine figure bonus he would work for you).

You've missed the point entirely. The above makes no sense.

As for zuning your strategy, that's just idiotic. Microsoft released the zune six years ago, hasn't gone bankrupt since…

You REALLY don't understand anything he's saying. How many Zunes are out there? What are the reviews like? How much money are they bringing Microsoft? Have they completely redefined an entire market down to the names used to describe products?

post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Sinofsky's end could be tied to the fact Windows 8 is not doing well, without a start menu it's difficult for MS users to begin they're work. They way Microsoft operates, I'm sure some scapegoat was sacrificed for Vista's failure as well.

I for one am tired of this easy meme.  I seldom use the Start Button on my Win Tower at all - 1. all the apps I use are in two other places in the Desktop.  2. the Desktop is exactly one press away in Win 8.  I'm more concerned about starting to lose access to convenient manual file management (something I've developed and depended on for decades) in Apple's OS's.

That said, I agree with the "schizophrenic mess" meme - that's partly the transitional aspect, partly the consumer/enterprise divide, and partly the Rev. 1.0 syndrome MS has always suffered from.  Service Pack 2 (and e.g., Surface 3) will work a fair amount of this out - and the Desktop will fade into the background for consumers over time - certainly by the next version - while the desktop will still run all the Enterprise spaghetti code inside of companies for years (decades?) to come.  That's Microsoft 101 for long-time watchers. 

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #73 of 76
You don't understand what I am saying…

No, you don't understand what he is saying, and I'm clarifying. You cannot give someone money for the purpose of obtaining taste or respect. It is physically impossible. That is what he is saying, and it's something with which you apparently disagree. 

As for his implementation of the verb "zune", it is designed as an umbrella term for when a product (or anything) fails as completely as the Microsoft Zune has. Similar to how the verb "xerox" is used for the act of photocopying on any brand machine.

post #74 of 76

I think what's killing the PC is Windows.. PC makers should unite and ditch window in favor of linux so software developers are forced to develop for linux.. and it shouldn't be a huge effort if they already run on Osx that is in itself just another flavor of linux.

And what is killing microsoft? I guess that has nothing to do with Sinofsky and a lot to do with BALDmer. I still hope MS goes chapter 11 some day.

post #75 of 76

It's time to bring back John Hodgman and Justin Long. They need to be there to show people how Windows 8 upgrading is causing problems. The PC could be schizophrenic and Mac could react to it trying to get it to choose a personality.

Windows integrating everything into one big software sharing pool could be a problem. If people don't like the OS then they won't want to get any of the other things related to it. It's one of those get it right or you'll lose everything kind of deals.

Apple is also going down this road. I know they'll do it better but they're starting to lose me. I really don't care one bit about social networking. I don't want my computer connected to some online company for the purpose of disseminating posts from every forum I visit or showing every blog I read.

post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubong View Post

I think what's killing the PC is Windows.. PC makers should unite and ditch window in favor of linux so software developers are forced to develop for linux.. and it shouldn't be a huge effort if they already run on Osx that is in itself just another flavor of linux.
And what is killing microsoft? I guess that has nothing to do with Sinofsky and a lot to do with BALDmer. I still hope MS goes chapter 11 some day.

As of OS X 10.5, the OS has carried the official UNIX branding (see this link for example (Wikipedia)).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Gates' support of Ballmer led to Microsoft ouster of Sinofsky - report