or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Dick Morris admits he lied to you about the landslide

Dick Morris admits he lied to you about the landslide

post #1 of 53

Feel free to jump to 2:45 to hit the relevant bit where Dick Morris admits that when the Romney campaign was in dire straits, Morris made the "Romney will win in a landslide" prediction not because it was true but because he thought it would help Romney win.  Early in the interview, he proclaimed that he was "working hard for Romney".  Of course, Morris then immediately realizes what he just said and attempts to claim that he really believed Romney would win in that landslide, but he can't have it both ways.  

• He saw the Romney campaign failing and support waning.

• He made the landslide prediction to help boost Romney's campaign--not because of facts or evidence, but as a partisan hack of a pundit lying to you to boost his candidate.

• Romney lost in the reverse of the landslide that Morris, without facts or evidence, "predicted".  

If you continue to hold Dick Morris up as anything other than a lying, manipulative, partisan hack, you are one of these:

ostrich_head_sand.jpg

or

HeadUpOwnAss.jpg

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 53

That landslide massive electoral college victory for Obama was even greater than Morris was predicting for Romney. LOL! I wonder how much Morris got paid?

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #3 of 53

Why do we care that some minor talking head lied about predicting results?

Also of note, it's interesting that Obama was reelected with fewer votes than Bush was reelect with. Ouch.

post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Also of note, it's interesting that Obama was reelected with fewer votes than Bush was reelect with. Ouch.

Quote:

Well you seem to care alot about that " Liberal media conspiracy "  don't you?  This was misinformation admitted to.lol.gif1wink.gif

Bush got 271 ;electoral votes in 2000. How many did Obama get in 2012? Let's see....oh....about 332! Ouch!1wink.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #5 of 53
Quote:

It's close, but I think your numbers are wrong. Bush received 62,040,610 in 2004. Obama already has half a million more than that and a larger margin.

post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It's close, but I think your numbers are wrong. Bush received 62,040,610 in 2004. Obama already has half a million more than that and a larger margin.

They've been updated since I looked last. Not much to crow about either way.

post #7 of 53
Quote:

But Obama won a "landslide!" and has a "mandate." Despite not even having a margin of victory that's in the top 50% of the history of presidential elections in this country. Or something. lol.gif

Edited by MJ1970 - 11/14/12 at 11:53am

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:

But Obama won a "landslide!" and has a "mandate." Or something. lol.gif

Are you running out of actual arguments, or just becoming increasingly bored with the idea of any real discussion?

post #9 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

Who was crowing? Obama won an election. One side is working hard to diminish that in every way they can, while the other is pushing that he won and has some kind of mandate, which follows anyway, simply by definition. What possibly can be so contentious about this?

post #10 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

But Obama won a "landslide!" and has a "mandate." Despite not even having a margin of victory that's in the top 50% of the history of presidential elections in this country. Or something. lol.gif

Keep on laughing. If you don't believe this is the end of far right obfuscation and nonsense ( and please don't ask me to explain you know very well what I mean ) just keep watching. Voters want results now from both sides. The side that obfuscates will be the loser.

post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

If you don't believe this is the end of far right obfuscation and nonsense ( and please don't ask me to explain you know very well what I mean ) just keep watching.

Why do I care about that?

Quote:

Voters want results now from both sides.

Maybe. Here's one citizen that wants them to stop doing things when they are damaging. Which is most of what they do.

post #12 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

If you don't believe this is the end of far right obfuscation and nonsense ( and please don't ask me to explain you know very well what I mean ) just keep watching.

Quote:

Voters want results now from both sides.

Maybe. Here's one citizen that wants them to stop doing things when they are damaging. Which is most of what they do.

Quote:

Why don't you?1wink.gif

post #13 of 53
Quote:

Why don't you?

Because I don't.

What I care about is liberty. I care about the pursuit and protection of it. I care about those who would infringe on it. I care about it be protected for everyone and not infringing on some people's because I think it's okay to infringe on some people's rights.

That's what I care about.

Right now, the "far right" seems like much less of a threat that the currently elected officials of this country.

post #14 of 53
Quote:

Right now, the "far right" seems like much less of a threat that the currently elected officials of this country.

I've no doubt that you are right about that from the perspective of what you regard as important and from your vision of the ideal society. Luckily for the majority, including moderate Republicans, you are in a minority, and probably a very small one.

post #15 of 53
Quote:

Unless of course you are not white, not male, not old, not a student, not a non-English speaker, not liberal, not Christian, not gay, not rich, not a redneck, not just about everything except a white male.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Unless of course you are not white, not male, not old, not a student, not a non-English speaker, not liberal, not gay, not just about everything except a white male.

No...if you are just about anyone. Wake up and try to pay attention.

post #17 of 53
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Unless of course you are not white, not male, not old, not a student, not a non-English speaker, not liberal, not gay, not just about everything except a white male.

No...if you are just about anyone. Wake up and try to pay attention.

Anyone - other than the majority vote in the recent election.

post #18 of 53
Quote:

No. Everyone. You also are not paying attention.

Unless you mean that the people voting in the minority are at greater risk of losing their liberty.

post #19 of 53
Quote:

Why do you keep putting words in his mouth?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #20 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

No. Everyone. You also are not paying attention.

Unless you mean that the people voting in the minority are at greater risk of losing their liberty.

No - I mean that you do not get to judge what seems more of a threat to others - they can, and did, make up their own minds.

post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:

Why do you keep putting words in his mouth?

Which words?

post #22 of 53
Quote:

No - I mean that you do not get to judge what seems more of a threat to others - they can, and did, make up their own minds.

You're right  that individuals can individually judge what seems or does not seem to be a threat to their life, liberty and property. But that doesn't mean they can't be blind to infringements while other observers are able to see those infringements. What's more, it is true that some might not mind that their liberty is being infringed on. The problem comes when they want to extend this infringement to those who don't want it infringed.

post #23 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

You're right  that individuals can individually judge what seems or does not seem to be a threat to their life, liberty and property. But that doesn't mean they can't be blind to infringements while other observers are able to see those infringements. What's more, it is true that some might not mind that their liberty is being infringed on. The problem comes when they want to extend this infringement to those who don't want it infringed.

Agreed. I was just taking issue with who you think you speak for in saying that the far right seems less of a threat. I certainly would not count myself as left wing, but the far right seems to me like a huge threat to personal freedom. All that demonstrates, I think, is that the personal freedoms that matter most to me are not the same as those that matter most to you. The far right has declared the wish to infringe on many personal freedoms - presumably those just are not important to you.

post #24 of 53
Quote:

Which words?

The ones you're adding onto his statements.

post #25 of 53
Quote:

I was just taking issue with who you think you speak for in saying that the far right seems less of a threat.

I speak only for myself. Where have I claimed otherwise?

My point was to point out that all of these guys are a threat to the liberty of ALL people whether those people perceive the threat or not.

Quote:

I certainly would not count myself as left wing, but the far right seems to me like a huge threat to personal freedom.

I think they are all a huge threat. But my primary concern is with those who actually have power right now. The far right is limited in its governmental power currently so my concern is with those who have actual governmental power and ho they will be using it to infringe on everyone's life, liberty and property.

Quote:

All that demonstrates, I think, is that the personal freedoms that matter most to me are not the same as those that matter most to you. The far right has declared the wish to infringe on many personal freedoms - presumably those just are not important to you.

You presume wrong. And both parties and most of those currently elected have made clear their desire to infringe on a variety of liberty and property of a wide variety of people.

Edited by MJ1970 - 11/14/12 at 1:18pm

post #26 of 53

In one thread we are supposed to ignore Paul Krugman but in the other we have to pay strict attention to Dick Morris and we also must worry about some unnamed, unknown members of the far right.

That's not logical.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

In one thread we are supposed to ignore Paul Krugman but in the other we have to pay strict attention to Dick Morris and we also must worry about some unnamed, unknown members of the far right.

That's not logical.

I think the distinction is that the Krugman thread was supposedly about what the Democrats will do (not Krugman's call), while the Morris issue was simply about what Morris said (definitely Morris's call). So not really illogical.

post #28 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

I was just taking issue with who you think you speak for in saying that the far right seems less of a threat.

I speak only for myself. Where have I claimed otherwise?

My point was to point out that all of these guys are a threat to the liberty of ALL people whether those people perceive the threat or not.

Quote:

I certainly would not count myself as left wing, but the far right seems to me like a huge threat to personal freedom.

I think they are all a huge threat. But my primary concern is with those who actually have power right now. The far right is limited in its governmental power currently so my concern is with those who have actual governmental power and ho they will be using it to infringe on everyone's life, liberty and property.

Quote:

All that demonstrates, I think, is that the personal freedoms that matter most to me are not the same as those that matter most to you. The far right has declared the wish to infringe on many personal freedoms - presumably those just are not important to you.

You presume wrong. And both parties and most of those currently elected have made clear their desire to infringe on a variety of liberty and property of a wide variety of people.

OK, fair enough, so are you saying that if the Republicans had won the election then the Democrats would have been the lesser threat?

post #29 of 53
Quote:

OK, fair enough, so are you saying that if the Republicans had won the election then the Democrats would have been the lesser threat?

Nope.

I'm saying they are all a threat to the life, liberty and property of all of us.

This isn't left vs. right, liberal vs. conservative, Democrat vs. Republican. These only represent two faction of the same party.

This is the established elite ruling political class vs. the people.

post #30 of 53
Quote:

Nope.

I'm saying they are all a threat to the life, liberty and property of all of us.

This isn't left vs. right, liberal vs. conservative, Democrat vs. Republican. These only represent two faction of the same party.

Yes, it's the State vs. the individual.

post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:

Which words?

The ones you're adding onto his statements.

Not really - I was adding my own qualification to his statement that it seems to anyone that the far right is the lesser threat, namely that it should presumably be to anyone other than those who voted Democrat (i.e. the majority), because otherwise, if they believed that, they would have voted Republican.

post #32 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

Nope.

Then I am not understanding your position:

Quote:

That sounds like an argument that the far right is less of a threat simply because they are not in power. Had the Republicans won the election then the left would not be in power. Etc...

post #33 of 53
Quote:

That sounds like an argument that the far right is less of a threat simply because they are not in power. Had the Republicans won the election then the left would not be in power. Etc...

I'm sorry if I have confused you in some way.

Yes, they are less of a threat to the extend that they are not in power. That stands to reason. The ones with the power are the biggest threat at the time. To the extent that any "far righters" are in power, they are also a threat.

Does this clarify things?

post #34 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry if I have confused you in some way.

Yes, they are less of a threat to the extend that they are not in power. That stands to reason. The ones with the power are the biggest threat at the time. To the extent that any "far righters" are in power, they are also a threat.

Does this clarify things?

I'm not sure - it leads me to wonder why then, when I asked if the left would be the lesser threat if the right were in power you responded "nope".

post #35 of 53
Quote:

I'm not sure - it leads me to wonder why then, when I asked if the left would be the lesser threat if the right were in power you responded "nope".

Sorry. I misread that statement as: "are you saying that if the Republicans had won the election then they (republicans) would have been the lesser threat?

My mistake. Sorry.

post #36 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

That's not logical.

I think the distinction is that the Krugman thread was supposedly about what the Democrats will do (not Krugman's call), while the Morris issue was simply about what Morris said (definitely Morris's call). So not really illogical.

Morris's call was a prediction about an election outcome. Krugman's piece, widely distributed and printed is a demand to let people be harmed by intentionally tanking the U.S. economy for partisan and political gain.

You are right that they aren't the same. One is much, much worse and Krugman is advocating harm to other people. Morri's prediction wasn't advocating harm to anyone.

post #37 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry. I misread that statement as: "are you saying that if the Republicans had won the election then they (republicans) would have been the lesser threat?

My mistake. Sorry.

No problem. All is clear.

post #38 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's not logical.

Morris's call was a prediction about an election outcome. Krugman's piece, widely distributed and printed is a demand to let people be harmed by intentionally tanking the U.S. economy for partisan and political gain.

You are right that they aren't the same. One is much, much worse and Krugman is advocating harm to other people. Morri's prediction wasn't advocating harm to anyone.

That's true, but no one was arguing that the subject of the threads carried equal weight. And while Krugman's subject is much more important, he can demand all he wants but it is still just his opinion. Your point would be valid if Obama (or anyone making policy), not Krugman, had written the article.

post #39 of 53

How about a conservative saying basically the same things I said in the first post?

Quote:

Got that? Dick Morris believed it was his “duty” to go on TV and say that Romney was going to win this thing, because everybody on Team Romney at the time was depressed. It’s hard to know whether Morris really believed what he was saying, as he claims to, but there can be no doubt that he saw his role as cheerleading for the Republican candidate, not offering straightforward analysis.

Dick Morris is a conservative figure who really ought to never be heard from again. He’s a hack. I say give him a Dubya Award for Meritorious Service To The Conservative Movement, and push him off the stage. (“Meritorious” in the sense that, say, a boss who is firing an employee for screwing up makes an insincere but face-saving statement about how much the company has benefited from the employee’s service, and wishes him the best of luck in his future endeavors).

Which other prominent conservatives should get a Dubya? Newt Gingrich is one. He has nothing left to say or to do, except go on whatever the GOP version of the dinner theater circuit is, where celebrity has-beens go to live out their senescence. Karl Rove is another. Megyn Kelly, bless her, sealed Rove’s place on the Dubya List, when, listening skeptically on Election Night to Rove trying to spin bad Romney news into a GOP victory, said to him: “Is this just math you do to make yourself feel better as a Republican, or is this real?”

We need a lot more of the spirit of Megyn Kelly among public conservatives.

I think we need Megyn Kelly to say the same thing to the right wing bubble dwellers here on this board.  

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #40 of 53
Quote:

Plus voter turn out dropped for the first time ever.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Dick Morris admits he lied to you about the landslide