or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone grows to 5.5% share of all mobile phone sales

Apple's iPhone grows to 5.5% share of all mobile phone sales

post #1 of 45
The iPhone accounted for 5.5 percent of all mobile phone sales in the third quarter of 2012, making Apple the third-largest handset maker in the world.

Worldwide sales of mobile phones to end users reached almost 428 million units in the third quarter of 2012, research firm Gartner revealed in a new report on Wednesday. While overall mobile phone sales were down 3.1 percent, smartphone sales were up 47 percent year over year.

The growth of smartphones helped Apple, as the iPhone expanded from its 3.9 percent share in the year-ago quarter. Apple's total 23.5 million iPhones sold to end users came without offering any "feature phones" still sold by rivals Samsung and Nokia.

Those low-cost, low-profit phones offered by Nokia helped those companies take the first two spots in terms of market share in the third quarter. Samsung accounted for 22.9 percent of mobile phone sales, while Nokia took 19.2 percent.

Gartner

Though Gartner didn't provide an extensive breakdown of smartphone sales by manufacturer, the research firm did reveal that Apple and Samsung collectively accounted for 46.5 percent of smartphone sales in the quarter. Anshul Gupta, principal research analyst at Gartner, said Apple and Samsung's market dominance left "a handful of vendors fighting over a distant third spot."

Finishing in third place was Research in Motion, while HTC was said to be not far behind in fourth place. Both companies have seen their sales decline in recent quarters, and Gupta suggested they would struggle to hold their rankings going forward.

Gartner also broke down smartphone sales by mobile platform, and found that Apple's iOS accounted for 13.9 percent of the smartphone operating system market share, placing it firmly in second place.

Apple's 13.9 percent was enough to put it well ahead of Research in Motion's 5.3 percent share. But Apple was also well behind Google's market dominating Android platform, which accounted for 72.4 percent of the smartphone market in the third quarter of 2012.

Gartner analysts are particularly bullish on the anticipated launch of Apple's iPhone 5 in China in the current quarter. The firm expects that the holiday quarter will be Apple's strongest, as it has traditionally been for the company.
post #2 of 45

And yet 75% of all profits. Wonderful. Shows that everyone else is doing nothing but channel stuffing with the cheapest crap possible.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #3 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yet 75% of all profits. Wonderful. Shows that everyone else is doing nothing but channel stuffing with the cheapest crap possible.

Absoutely. Mind-boggling. Especially when you consider that Jobs set a goal of just 1% share for its go-ahead. 

Look at the industry disruption it has wrought.... Nokia: gone. Palm: gone. RIM: gone. Sony-Ericsson: non-existent. LG: non-existent. MSFT in phones: non-existent. The list goes on.

post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Absoutely. Mind-boggling. Especially when you consider that Jobs set a goal of just 1% share for its go-ahead. 

Look at the industry disruption it has wrought.... Nokia: gone. Palm: gone. RIM: gone. Sony-Ericsson: non-existent. LG: non-existent. MSFT in phones: non-existent. The list goes on.

Samsung also has a part in it.

With their max market-share strategy, they are eating everyone on the low end. Until the market saturates, samsung will go on to sell 100 million smartphones per quarter...

Apple will keep going up, obviously, but at a much slower pace, which is perfect for them... the rest is irrelevant for Apple. Even if there was no one else, Apple wouldn't be able to sell more phones, they can't keep up with demand right know.

post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Gartner didn't provide an extensive breakdown of smartphone sales by manufacturer, the research firm did reveal that Apple and Samsung collectively accounted for 46.5 percent of smartphone sales in the quarter.
Hmm: "Samsung sold 55 million smartphones in the quarter and accounted for 32.5 percent of the global smartphone market."

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/samsung-dominates-smartphone-market-apple-a-distant-second-20121114-01009#.UKPCyIfAetM
post #6 of 45

Samsung: permanently permanently and publicly humiliated, shamed, dishonored, and exposed as the thieves they are, eclipsing their ill-gotten "success".

Thanks, Sensi, for the correction. Much less delusional now.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 11/14/12 at 8:19am

post #7 of 45
Quote:

Samsung: permanently slandered and exposed as the thieves they are, eclipsing their ill-gotten "success".
You are so delusional that it is becoming increasingly pathetic, and you should read again the definition of slandering because your use of it make no sense.
post #8 of 45
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
…read again the definition of slandering…

Apologies; you're right. Not slandered, "permanently and publicly humiliated, shamed, dishonored, and exposed as the thieves they are" is more appropriate.

post #9 of 45
Quote:

Hmm: "Samsung sold 55 million smartphones in the quarter and accounted for 32.5 percent of the global smartphone market."
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/samsung-dominates-smartphone-market-apple-a-distant-second-20121114-01009#.UKPCyIfAetM

Yeah, but most of it is scarping the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of ASP and profits. (No reason to believe otherwise  until we some numbers from them directly, instead of these consulting firms.)

Also, wait till China Mobile opens up to Apple and an equally big prize, India.

post #10 of 45
Quote:

Apologies; you're right. Not slandered, "permanently and publicly humiliated, shamed, dishonored, and exposed as the thieves they are" is more appropriate.

Worse. They have lost face.

post #11 of 45
Quote:

Oh Jeez, I guess that you can't be rational nor factual, a lost cause...
post #12 of 45
Quote:

Yeah, but most of it is scarping the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of ASP and profits. (No reason to believe otherwise  until we some numbers from them directly, instead of these consulting firms.)

Also, wait till China Mobile opens up to Apple and an equally big prize, India.

I doubt India will help Apple to grow, they are not in a position to buy high margin products like the rest of the world. Part of the reason that Motorola is in the shape they are is because they tried to compete in India and could not since their cost structure is too high. They tried making low cost phone for the masses and failed to competitors who had much lower costs. Apple's cost structure is now far higher than Motorola ever was. Plus as it was clearly stated Apple is marketing their product to the people with the most disposable income. They do not care if everyone can have their products. They doing well in China since the Chinese like buying product with brand recognition, India has not shown that level of consumerism.

Edited by Maestro64 - 11/15/12 at 5:54am
post #13 of 45
Quote:

Come off it with the overdramatic generalizations. Palm is the only one on that list that's gone. Nokia may still be in decline but they are still huge, own half of Siemens and still have north of 10b market cap, they are hardly gone as of now. Same for RIM except they are intentionally in a decline for a hail mary reboot next year, albeit a smaller market cap, not to mention the patent portfolio these 2 have. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #14 of 45

So, in essence, and because I'd like to see you say it, Samsung didn't copy Apple, correct?

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post
Nokia may still be in decline but they are still huge… Same for RIM except they are intentionally in a decline for a hail mary reboot…

Seems like they both did their best when the iPhone 3G was out. You'd think that at least one person at either company would remember what that was and have kept it up or something.

post #15 of 45
Quote:

Worse. They have lost face.
...which will make it very difficult for Apple and Samsung to "settle" their fight(s).
post #16 of 45
Apple doesn't offer a feature phone, so they will continue to pick up customers from people looking to upgrade. Smart-phone's apps and media lead to increased customer stickiness, while feature phone customers are prime for switching to Apple.
post #17 of 45

Take note that Apple doesn't universally-license (thank god) and that Apple's numbers are based on a very limited number of handsets. 

NOW you can be impressed!

post #18 of 45
Quote:

There is no point arguing with a raving fanatic, whatever the cause they espouse.

post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post
Same for RIM except they are intentionally in a decline .....

Needed the laugh.lol.gif. Thanks.

post #20 of 45
Quote:

Apple is doomed.   A couple more years like this, and it's Game OVER MAN! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

post #21 of 45

I know how they can increase that share.  Deliver my iPhone 5.  After taking one day to travel from China to Anchorage Alaska, it's been languishing in Kentucky for two days.  

post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Apple doesn't offer a feature phone, so they will continue to pick up customers from people looking to upgrade. Smart-phone's apps and media lead to increased customer stickiness, while feature phone customers are prime for switching to Apple.

Apple doesn't offer a phone... it offers a computer that fits in your pocket that has cellular connectivity and a phone app.

I think the difference is clear.  

you sell your product like a phone, and you'll get phone profit margins

You sell your product like a ultra-light computer where size, weight, computational power, integrated features, durability/quality, and battery life are considered premiums,  you get a premium price.

post #23 of 45

And finally,  Isn't Gartner pimping Windows Phone to be #2 in smart phone sales in '2 years'?  

Nokia losing 20% of it's units sales in 1 year... not a good thing.

Did anyone note the net sales of phones has dropped YoY?   Have we reached 'peak mobile'?  or is this just a temporary economic/geographic limitation? 

post #24 of 45

I don't think AAPL can take anymore good news.

post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Apple doesn't offer a phone... it offers a computer that fits in your pocket that has cellular connectivity and a phone app.

You sell your product like a ultra-light computer where size, weight, computational power, integrated features, durability/quality, and battery life are considered premiums,  you get a premium price.

Yes, I recall when in Thailand I borrowed a friend's Samsung Android phone. It was super low quality and a small screen and a total pain to use. Couldn't do 15% of what an iPhone can do. So, of course, not all Android phones are even comparable to Apple and many high-end Android phones.

post #26 of 45

AAPL at around $540'ish is now sitting in the middle of its 52-week high [$705] and 52-week low [$363]. With the amount of shares at the hand of big institutions,  it ain't gonna go anywhere soon. AAPL is now relegated to "value" play not "growth" play. For those of you who cashed in AAPL at $650+, congrats, you'd made a great call.  

Quote:

So, in essence, and because I'd like to see you say it, Samsung didn't copy Apple, correct?

Seems like they both did their best when the iPhone 3G was out. You'd think that at least one person at either company would remember what that was and have kept it up or something.

post #27 of 45
Quote:

Yup! Than google cought on early and decided to get in there while apple killed off the other os players!
O google you are sneeky sneeky!1smoking.gif
post #28 of 45
Quote:

I guess you're referring to the US case, not to all the other cases 

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Samsung also has a part in it.

With their max market-share strategy, they are eating everyone on the low end. Until the market saturates, samsung will go on to sell 100 million smartphones per quarter...

Apple will keep going up, obviously, but at a much slower pace, which is perfect for them... the rest is irrelevant for Apple. Even if there was no one else, Apple wouldn't be able to sell more phones, they can't keep up with demand right know.

Apple is on the cusp of breaking the China market wide open. When that happens it will put a big upward kink in the Apple chart. They better be able to make more phones!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #30 of 45
these reports by Gartner, IDC and the rest are always about unit sales totals. but sales revenues are far more significant in fact, and are at least as important a metric for ranking market success. while profits of course are the metric for ranking business success.

but that's not the story they want to tell.
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

I know how they can increase that share.  Deliver my iPhone 5.  After taking one day to travel from China to Anchorage Alaska, it's been languishing in Kentucky for two days.  

You're just grumpy because your new iPhone is getting around more than you are.  1biggrin.gif

post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Come off it with the overdramatic generalizations. Palm is the only one on that list that's gone. Nokia may still be in decline but they are still huge, own half of Siemens and still have north of 10b market cap, they are hardly gone as of now. Same for RIM except they are intentionally in a decline for a hail mary reboot next year, albeit a smaller market cap, not to mention the patent portfolio these 2 have. 

How long can Nokia sustain billion dollar quarterly losses?

If they manage to pull Windows 8 off, they'll have more lives than Lazarus.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

these reports by Gartner, IDC and the rest are always about unit sales totals. but sales revenues are far more significant in fact, and are at least as important a metric for ranking market success. while profits of course are the metric for ranking business success.
but that's not the story they want to tell.

With enough research you can tell a lot of stories, and if you tell enough stories in the same article you will confuse rather then illuminate. 

I have to admit that knowing how badly Nokia is doing and is losing money rather than making it, that they are still selling the hell out of cheap phones was rather surprising to me. It makes me wonder if anyone on that list, other than Apple and Samsung, are making any money at all.

post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I doubt India will help Apple to grow, they are in a position to buy high margin products like the rest of the world. Part of the reason that Motorola is in the shape they are is because they tried to compete in India and could not since their cost structure is too high. They tried making low cost phone for the masses and failed to competitors who had much lower costs. Apple's cost structure is now far higher than Motorola ever was. Plus as it was clearly stated Apple is marketing their product to the people with the most disposable income. They do not care if everyone can have their products. They doing well in China since the Chinese like buying product with brand recognition, India has not shown that level of consumerism.

In the face of all that you say, and I agree with you, HP has announced that their phone strategy will be to go capture that third and fourth-world phone market. Where's the money in that when they'll get paid in goats and skinny cows?

post #35 of 45
I've had the iPhone 5 (AT&T) for a few weeks now and like it, was a little suspicious when the redesign was being touted and got the 4s as a hedge since I liked that one's performance and looks, but the 5 was a happy surprise. I expect that one is driving the expansion as more customers make a similar observation.
post #36 of 45
Quote:

Needed the laugh.lol.gif . Thanks.

He's actually correct. They have literally stopped the presses. It's always better to not make money than to lose it, but if the new Bold and BB 10 OS doesnt turn things around then they'll truly be sunk.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

So the "iPhone" isn't a phone? I understand what you're getting at but the way a iPhone gets used today is vastly different from it was in 2007. I would say it originally was a phone with a mini computer but now its more of a mini computer that can also make calls
post #38 of 45
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post
How many people do you think actually knows any of this is even happening?

Given that every single thing that Apple does and doesn't do is in the news, everyone intelligent enough to understand spoken communication.

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

The sky isn't a different color when you go somewhere else. I'll ask you, too; Are you of the belief that Samsung did not copy Apple?

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apple is on the cusp of breaking the China market wide open. When that happens it will put a big upward kink in the Apple chart. They better be able to make more phones!

News out of China today is that Android is taking 90% of the current smartphone sales, up from under 60% a year ago. And that's supposedly "official" Android and doesn't count the knock-off's. Apple iOS in comparison has dropped a bit, going from a tad over 6% down to currently 4.2%.

http://data.eguan.cn/yidonghulian_147283.html

Of course Android really can't get much higher share in China so it's all downhill from here.

Edited by Gatorguy - 11/15/12 at 9:51am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post
How many people do you think actually knows any of this is even happening?

Given that every single thing that Apple does and doesn't do is in the news, everyone intelligent enough to understand spoken communication.

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

The sky isn't a different color when you go somewhere else. I'll ask you, too; Are you of the belief that Samsung did not copy Apple?

Makes me wonder if you've ever been somewhere else. The sky sure is a deeper blue in the middle of the pacific, and a deeper black at night.

The sky is yellow or brown in Europe when there are sandstorms over the Sahara or when you're in the industrial cities in China.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone grows to 5.5% share of all mobile phone sales