or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › $1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist

$1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist

post #1 of 79
A pair of thieves stole $1.5 million worth of Apple iPad minis from a building at New York's JFK airport that was also the site of a famous robbery in 1978.

Heist

Details of the valuable heist were revealed on Thursday by the New York Post. About 3,600 iPad minis that had just arrived from China were taken from one of the airport's cargo buildings.

That same building was the site of the 1978 Lufthansa heist in which $5 million in cash and $875,000 worth of jewelry were stolen ? the largest cash robbery to ever occur on U.S. soil. That heist was featured in the 1990 film "GoodFellas" starring Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci.

The incident occurred this Monday, just before midnight, when a pair of thieves reportedly used one of the airport's own forklifts to steal two pallets of iPad minis. Not all of the shipments were placed on the truck, as the arrival of an airport worker allegedly forced the duo to leave three pallets behind.

Because the thieves arrived with an official JFK forklift, it's been speculated that an airport employee may have let them into the area near Building 261 around 11 p.m., and also let them out after the iPad minis were stolen.

Apple's iPad mini has a starting price of $329 for a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only model. The most expensive option is the 64-gigabyte version with cellular data, which sells for $659.
post #2 of 79
Explains the 2 week delivery time
post #3 of 79
Just wait till Apple turns on find my Mini
post #4 of 79
1) This explains the new delivery times of 5 to 10 with good behavior.

2) How many MS Surface's have been stolen to date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That same building was the site of the 1978 Lufthansa heist in which $5 million in cash and $875,000 worth of jewelry were stolen, the largest cash robbery to ever occur on U.S. soil. That heist was featured in the 1990 film "GoodFellas" starring Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci.

I would argue that Berne Maddof, subprime market loans, and Super PACs would far outweigh that paltry $5 million robbery.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 79
Obligatory - "Why didn't they steal [fill in android tablet name]?"
post #6 of 79
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is it already on sale? 

I suppose that question answers more than it asks, huh. lol.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #7 of 79
Am I wrong or are these Minis useless to anybody that tries to register them? I assume that all of the serial numbers are know and that if that number comes up somewhere at registration time it won't work? Rendering them so much dead weight?
post #8 of 79
Anyone checked the Craigs List lately?
post #9 of 79
Quote:

Ballmer has just envisioned his new business plan...

Have millions of Surface tablets stolen. Voila! Millions sold!

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #10 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

Just wait till Apple turns on find my Mini
Can't. That system has to be set up on a powered on device before it is lost.

It is unlikely Apple knows the serials in those crates so the best that might happen is if someone takes one in for service tht system will show it was never bought through a valid retailer and ask for proof of purchase to correct the computer error.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

Am I wrong or are these Minis useless to anybody that tries to register them? I assume that all of the serial numbers are know and that if that number comes up somewhere at registration time it won't work? Rendering them so much dead weight?

No. You can still use a device like this without registering it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 79
Do not buy from unauthorized sellers. Craigslist and eBay is about to have a lot of new iPad Minis for sale. If you buy one of these--even if you're unaware it was stolen--you're part of the problem.
post #13 of 79

Of course, Apple knows the serial numbers of all the devices stolen. These are not cans of green beans. 

post #14 of 79
Originally Posted by Satorical View Post
If you buy one of these--even if you're unaware it was stolen--you're part of the problem.

"Don't go to a garage sale; you don't know if it's stolen."

No, they're not "part of the problem".

post #15 of 79

i'd rather be a bad somebody with minis, than a good nobody with nexuses. 

mmmmmmmmmmmm....

mmmmmmmmmmmm....

post #16 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But you still have to connect it to iTunes, no? And if you plan on using any apps on it, I imagine that the serial # will be transmitted to Apple. At least that's how I thought it worked. Never paid it much mind to be honest.

post #17 of 79
Apple surely knows the S/N. I mean, suppose you have millions of devices, wouldn't you make sure you know which is where? 'f course you would.

Da Boss is "an operational genius" who can cook up a logistic dream machine, given some tim.

Also, the Mac laptops have an onboard chip that allows protecting the computer against theft by preventing reinstallation of the system. Combined with a secure password and automatic lock of the computer, it makes for a very secure platform (provided you don't ignore the feature and/or set your machine to no-password,autologin). If Apple provides these, I'd expect they also are capable of tracking mere unsold machines through their logistic chain...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #18 of 79

So they were close to getting $3.75 Million worth of minis.  Wow.

Now go and get your shine box 

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #19 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Technically, they'd be in possession of stolen property.

post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Technically, they'd be in possession of stolen property.

Ya- but not guilty.  So that's a risk you can take- but TS is right- you aren't part of the problem.  I, for one, prefer to buy some iDevices off Craigslist that are a few months old and people need the cash.  If it's new- all the better.  Got a 4S about 8 months ago for $375 brand new- lady had the receipt (but that wouldn't have been a deal killer) and used her upgrade because she needed cash.  Some people are desperate... might as well take advantage of it.

Side note: if anyone hasn't seen Goodfellas... Its a top 10 guy movie of all time.

post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But you still have to connect it to iTunes, no? And if you plan on using any apps on it, I imagine that the serial # will be transmitted to Apple. At least that's how I thought it worked. Never paid it much mind to be honest.

I suspect that Apple could detect the MAC address of the device and know that it was stolen however I also doubt they would do anything about it. Most of the people who end up with these devices are not the ones involved in the heist so Apple will just sell them apps and media and let them enjoy their iPad mini regardless. The robbers will in all likelihood be apprehended eventually.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #22 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Also, if you buy an electronic device, you might assist some company in commiting copyright infringement by providing them with fresh cash, and possibly profit. So definitely, go all the way and become an Amish.

post #23 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So they were close to getting $3.75 Million worth of minis.  Wow.

Now go and get your shine box 

It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy!

post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I can see Apple having a way to disable them or not activating them, but that doesn't prevent the sellers from getting rid of their stockpile. Before buying an mini from a 3rd party, will getting the serial number first and running a check on Apple's site help identify these units?

post #25 of 79

Inside job, obviously.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Ya- but not guilty.  So that's a risk you can take- but TS is right- you aren't part of the problem

I'm still not sure that I agree with that statement. If you knowingly receive (buy) stolen property, then you are helping those that stole the item profit from said crime. As such, you are part of the problem. The gray area here is the "knowingly" part. But, if you're buying an iPad Mini at a price that's seems to good to be true, some warning bells should be going off telling you that something that seems too good to be true usually is.

post #27 of 79

/senses Samsung stole to relabel and resell ;)

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #28 of 79
DeNiro says: "I could have been a contender!" (I know different film)

Samsung says: "I could have been a pretender! Oh wait, I am!"
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #29 of 79
Quote:

1) This explains the new delivery times of 5 to 10 with good behavior.
I would argue that Berne Maddof, subprime market loans, and Super PACs would far outweigh that paltry $5 million robbery.

Ok. I know this is not a Samsung thread, but 1,400 Galaxy Note 2 stolen in Malaysia

http://www.zdnet.com/my/malaysia-arrests-12-for-heist-of-1400-galaxy-note-2-devices-7000006647/

post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Inside job, obviously.

Obviously. Apple needs 24 hour armed security for those shipments. Those iDevices are like bars of gold.

It's Apple's fault. HeistGate!

post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It is unlikely Apple knows the serials in those crates.

That is a ridiculous statement.  It is beyond very likely that Apple receives a list of S/N for every shipment.

post #32 of 79

I suspect these will wind up in china or southeast asia where they will bring in more than $1.5 Million.  Apple has employees on the ground watching all of it's supplies like this.  The shipping to China is so cheap now that it is probably cheaper and safer to let them get shipped here and send them back than it would be to steal it in China where you would face the death penalty or worse.

post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

That is a ridiculous statement.  It is beyond very likely that Apple receives a list of S/N for every shipment.

I'll go one step further and say that Apple definitely knows the serial #s of those iPad Minis. There's a whole chain of manifest to order to serial #s. I'd be shocked if there wasn't.

post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I suspect that Apple could detect the MAC address of the device and know that it was stolen however I also doubt they would do anything about it. Most of the people who end up with these devices are not the ones involved in the heist so Apple will just sell them apps and media and let them enjoy their iPad mini regardless. The robbers will in all likelihood be apprehended eventually.

I'm inclined to agree. Keep in mind Apple has insurance for these kinds of things, so it's probably not a financial loss for them. Though some people may be questioned about the origins of their devices to track down the thieves, if they aren't caught first and Apple does have the S/Ns (probably but no guarantee)...

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

The shipping to China is so cheap now that it is probably cheaper and safer to let them get shipped here and send them back than it would be to steal it in China where you would face the death penalty or worse.

I have a Chinese friend whose father, a prominent professor and author, was executed in China many years ago. To add insult to injury, the next day, government agents showed up at the family residence and demanded payment for the bullet used in the execution.

post #36 of 79

Quote:

Technically, morally and in the hurt caused.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree. I wonder if they would pass the information off to the police in order to help nab the culprits? I suspect they will say nothing unless the devices are all activated in a tight geographical area.

post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have a Chinese friend whose father, a prominent professor and author, was executed in China many years ago. To add insult to injury, the next day, government agents showed up at the family residence and demand payment for the bullet used in the execution.

What? Well, unless it was made of silver (out of necessity).

post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I can see Apple having a way to disable them or not activating them, but that doesn't prevent the sellers from getting rid of their stockpile. Before buying an mini from a 3rd party, will getting the serial number first and running a check on Apple's site help identify these units?

It would be easy enough to disable on startup, so that anybody that checks to see it is operational would find ...it wasn't.
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

DeNiro says: "I could have been a contender!" (I know different film)
Samsung says: "I could have been a pretender! Oh wait, I am!"
/
/

That was Brando

post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

That was Brando

I coulda been somebody...instead of a bum.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • $1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › $1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist