or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › $1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist

$1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I'm still not sure that I agree with that statement. If you knowingly receive (buy) stolen property, then you are helping those that stole the item profit from said crime. As such, you are part of the problem. The gray area here is the "knowingly" part. But, if you're buying an iPad Mini at a price that's seems to good to be true, some warning bells should be going off telling you that something that seems too good to be true usually is.

That isn't gray- that's black.  If you knowingly buy/receive stolen- you're 100% at blame and absolutely part of the problem.

If you buy something for a good price, that's relative and to be taken on a case by case.  But to never buy anything on Craigslist or eBay because of the <1% chance something is stolen is a pretty simplistic statement- That was Satorical's statement- not yours btw. :)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

That was Brando

True but he was also correct.  DeNiro says it in Raging Bull as he's quoting the scene Brando did from On the Waterfront.

This was DeNiro's finest acting IMO.  Great movie... really felt sad for that Jake LaMotta.. couldn't get out of his own way.

post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have a Chinese friend whose father, a prominent professor and author, was executed in China many years ago. To add insult to injury, the next day, government agents showed up at the family residence and demanded payment for the bullet used in the execution.

What? Well, unless it was made of silver (out of necessity).

No it was like 5 cents. It was just an insult.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Side note: if anyone hasn't seen Goodfellas... Its a top 10 guy movie of all time.

It's Number 15 at IMDB (which doesn't take into account guy-ness).

post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I suspect these will wind up in china or southeast asia where they will bring in more than $1.5 Million.  Apple has employees on the ground watching all of it's supplies like this.  The shipping to China is so cheap now that it is probably cheaper and safer to let them get shipped here and send them back than it would be to steal it in China where you would face the death penalty or worse.

I think they'll probably go to Russia, Eastern Europe or South America.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #46 of 79

Forget about when will we find a bunch of Minis on Craig's List.  When will we find a bunch of guys in freezer trucks and behind the wheel of a new Caddy?

post #47 of 79

In related news, exactly no Microsoft Surface tablets have been stolen since the device was released.  Microsoft is reported to be considering offering would-be thieves a free Microsoft Zune and a free Microsoft Kin in exchange for stealing a Microsoft Surface tablet, but so far the Redmond giant has been unable to attract any criminals to their new device.

post #48 of 79
Quote:

But you still have to connect it to iTunes, no? And if you plan on using any apps on it, I imagine that the serial # will be transmitted to Apple. At least that's how I thought it worked. Never paid it much mind to be honest.

You've never heard of jailbroken phones and tablets?

It's possible to use one of these without ever connecting to Apple's servers.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 79
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post
In related news, exactly no Microsoft Surface tablets have been stolen since the device was released.  Microsoft is reported to be considering offering would-be thieves a free Microsoft Zune and a free Microsoft Kin in exchange for stealing a Microsoft Surface tablet, but so far the Redmond giant has been unable to attract any criminals to their new device.

"Barely 48 hours after this offer, employees at Microsoft headquarters were baffled by the sudden appearance of ten shipping crates in the parking lot at Redmond. When opened, the crates contained thousands of Microsoft Surface tablets. The serial numbers on these tablets were not slated to be used for years.

It seems that criminals have responded so poorly to the launch of the Surface that they have somehow manufactured extra tablets and returned them TO Microsoft."

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #50 of 79
Someone or group of guys got desperate and need to get money for Hurricane/ Super storm Sandy Damage?
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #51 of 79
Quote:

The policy of charging the family for the bullet used to execute an "enemy of the state" was adopted by the Chinese from Soviet practice.

The Nazis may have done the same, but I'm not positive I recall that correctly.

post #52 of 79
Apple will NOT block/deactivate the minis. And whoever buys them will have no issues getting it to work. Apple does not implement a system to recover the devices after they have been sold to potential buyers. Their security infrastructure is depends on theft prevention. After that, its up to 3rd party/contracted security to recover the items before sold. This used to be a part of Tim Cook's responsibility before assuming CEO.

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is it already on sale? 

I suppose that question answers more than it asks, huh. lol.gif
You wouldn't happen to know where the sale will be? Back ally or China?
post #54 of 79
LOL at pic. "Based on a true story."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #55 of 79

Does this mean that Scorsese will not be invited to appear in another commercial for Apple?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #56 of 79
Quote:

I coulda been somebody...instead of a bum.

... which is what I am, let's face it.

post #57 of 79
Insurance write-off for the shipping company that lost them. I'd rather they do this than rob iPad owners at gunpoint.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 79
Oh well, consider the stolen units as "Sold" to the insurance company of the transport company.

Time will tell.
post #59 of 79
Selling them domestically would leave to many trails pointing back to the thieves. I would imagine they'll be reboxed and sold overseas where then they'd be sold globally, including back into the US through ebay like outlets.
post #60 of 79
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Details of the valuable heist were revealed on Thursday by the New York Post. About 3,600 iPad minis that had just arrived from China were taken from one of the airport's cargo buildings.

Apple knows all 3,600 IMEI / MEID numbers of the stolen minis (if they were LTE models.)  Thus, they could blacklist them and prevent them from working on any carrier's network.

But not before they are set into Lost Mode by the Find my iPad feature of iOS 6.  In Lost Mode, the rightful owner of each stolen iPad mini can set its passcode remotely.  Or, in this case, Apple can set the passcode remotely.  Soon after the stolen minis are turned on, they'll become unusable.

(And the thought of a low-speed forklift chase, through an airport, just seems so weird.)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

Selling them domestically would leave to many trails pointing back to the thieves. I would imagine they'll be reboxed and sold overseas where then they'd be sold globally, including back into the US through ebay like outlets.

These thieves are so sophisticated that they probably took pre-orders before the heist. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #62 of 79

In addition to smartphones and tablets that are "shipped" v. "sold", we will now have to debate the "stolen" category. I am willing to bet that Apple leads this one.

post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

Apple will NOT block/deactivate the minis. And whoever buys them will have no issues getting it to work. Apple does not implement a system to recover the devices after they have been sold to potential buyers. Their security infrastructure is depends on theft prevention. After that, its up to 3rd party/contracted security to recover the items before sold. This used to be a part of Tim Cook's responsibility before assuming CEO.

Not true.

post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

Am I wrong or are these Minis useless to anybody that tries to register them? I assume that all of the serial numbers are know and that if that number comes up somewhere at registration time it won't work? Rendering them so much dead weight?

Oh hey, that one's easy. Don't you know, take some sandpaper and just shave 'em off! Bada bing!

post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

In addition to smartphones and tablets that are "shipped" v. "sold", we will now have to debate the "stolen" category. I am willing to bet that Apple leads this one.

There is also the resold category which I'm sure Apple leads as well. I just sold my MBP to a friend today. I always keep the packaging for all my Apple products just for that reason. He bought my MBP for his 7 year old son's Christmas gift. It looks absolutely pristine with all the cable ties and plastic packaging for the adapters, etc. His son will not be disappointed. It looks like brand new.

post #66 of 79

Ouch!  I knew that life in China is ugly and mostly unfair, but that is just tyranical

post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That same building was the site of the 1978 Lufthansa heist in which $5 million in cash and $875,000 worth of jewelry were stolen ? the largest cash robbery to ever occur on U.S. soil. 

at that time.

Since then, there are other robberies with far greater amount of cash stolen.

post #68 of 79
Apple operates one of the most sophisticated stock control, year-round volume shipping and distribution channels the world has seen.

Of course they know where they are now....and also how they are travelling, the speed they are travelling at, their altitude and ambient temperature. GPS trackers in every crate are commonplace for high value goods. There is control at every point in the chain and you get a subset of the data to help you track your purchase.

Hasn't anybody else heard of 'manager's specials'? - they come fully charged and activated, sometimes containing just a phone with gps. It's so easy to do and a regular part of control and security.

Will Apple cripple them 'if' they can? Hmmmn ...my bad PR sensor just lit up
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

These thieves are so sophisticated that they probably took pre-orders before the heist. 

And they're gonna have supply chain problems because they only got 2 of the 5 pallets

post #70 of 79
Quote:

Cost to the State. It does make sense. Why would the People (citizens from the People's Republic of China) bear the cost of even a bullet, if it is the (purported) Professor's fault if he had to be executed, after all?

It's in the end an age-old debate: when does it become "normal" that the Community pays for an Individual's costs? Cultures solve that differently, communist countries, Europe and America all have differing methods.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

Ouch!  I knew that life in China is ugly and mostly unfair, but that is just tyranical

How is it not unfair that Goldman-Sachs is still allowed to operate? How is it not unfair that Bush is still free? How is it not unfair that Bhopal did not cause high-ranking US executives to spend the rest of their lives in prison? How is it not unfair that Monsanto still operates? How is it not unfair that Exxon still operates?  I could easily go on.

Don't make me laugh. America enjoys a much higher level of freedom, but fairness doesn't exist there either. For the costs that humans have paid to offset the environmental, social, and financial costs of US big business and strategic requirements of the United States of America, you could buy a tremendous amount of chinese bullets. That is just as tyranical, only less direct.

post #72 of 79

Old, joke,.  Heard this 20 years ago.

post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Not true.

Is true. This is not the first time brand new sealed iPads with GPS have been stolen.  And none have been recovered using the iPads features. Opened and registered devices are a different story..and are only recovered if stolen AFTER registration.  Please feel free to prove otherwise.

post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Explains the 2 week delivery time

Yeah, less than 4,000 units really put Apple behind 1rolleyes.gif

post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Also, the Mac laptops have an onboard chip that allows protecting the computer against theft by preventing reinstallation of the system. Combined with a secure password and automatic lock of the computer, it makes for a very secure platform (provided you don't ignore the feature and/or set your machine to no-password,autologin). If Apple provides these, I'd expect they also are capable of tracking mere unsold machines through their logistic chain...

You have to set all that up after you turn on the computer. It's not just magically working anymore than "Find My" works before an iOS device is turned on. 

And no, Apple doesn't know where every serial number is. The best they might know is that a certain number was sold to Best Buy but after that, who knows until it is sold and even then outside of perhaps the store of purchases, they know nothing. They can't thanks to various privacy laws. They are only able to have the whole Find My system because it is opt in by user choice and only the user can track the device. Even those federal laws about how cell companies have to be able to track any active cellular device don't help Apple since they wouldn't be issued the search warrant needed to look for an item (and it would have to be activated on a cell data network for that system to work anyway). 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You have to set all that up after you turn on the computer. It's not just magically working anymore than "Find My" works before an iOS device is turned on.

Off topic: I find it odd that iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads, iPad minis, and Macs can all be tracked but they still call the service Find My iPhone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

Apple will NOT block/deactivate the minis. And whoever buys them will have no issues getting it to work. 

However, if they can't prove proof of purchase from a valid retailer they will be SOL if the dang things are defective. Because they won't be in Apple's warranty system. 

So in that way these folks will be dinged for their purchase. 

post #78 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

But not before they are set into Lost Mode by the Find my iPad feature of iOS 6.

Nope. Lost Mode can't be turned on until there is an iCloud account signed into on the iPads which happens when you turn it on. And Apple would have to know the ID and password of said account which they don't. 

post #79 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Off topic: I find it odd that iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads, iPad minis, and Macs can all be tracked but they still call the service Find My iPhone.

True Story: The real reason Forstall was fired wasn't cause of the massive list of bugs in iOS 6, the maps thing or even how he was a raging douchebag with no respect for anyone in the company. Nope, Tim fired him for proposing that they change the service to "Find My Shit"

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • $1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › $1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist