or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google reportedly distributing near-final version of standalone iOS Maps app

Google reportedly distributing near-final version of standalone iOS Maps app

post #1 of 94
It was reported on Thursday that Google is distributing a test version of a standalone iOS Maps app to people outside the company, suggesting an application to the App Store may be imminent.

According to a person familiar with the matter, a Google Maps-powered app may soon hit the iOS App Store as the internet search giant is almost finished tweaking the software for Apple devices, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Google Maps Closeups
Photo of alleged native iOS Google Maps app leaked in October. | Source: Ben Guild

"We believe Google Maps are the most comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps in the world," a Google spokesman said. "Our goal is to make Google Maps available to everyone who wants to use it, regardless of device, browser, or operating system."

Google's standalone app will reportedly feature turn-by-turn navigation, which was reportedly one of the main reasons Apple ditched the service in iOS 6. According to reports, which were later corroborated by CEO Tim Cook, Apple decided to move away from Google's service because of disagreements related to offering free turn-by-turn directions, a feature Google had long since included in its own Android operating system.

Apple replaced the first-party Google-powered Maps app in the latest iOS 6 with a new in-house proprietary solution. Using assets from recent mapping-related acquisitions, along with help from TomTom data, Apple's Maps app, with its Flyover 3D mapping tech, was one of the standout features of iOS 6 when the mobile operating system was highlighted at WWDC in June. Critics and consumers panned the new Maps app for lacking Google's massive dataset, as well as missing features like Street View. The issue was further compounded by incorrect data and quirks with the Flyover function.

The fallout from the system's debut prompted Cook to write a letter to customers, apologizing for the new mapping service's shortcomings.

Street View
Google's Street View as seen in mobile Safari.

Google has been working to re-establish its presence on iOS after its YouTube app was also deprecated from the platform, and has offered a number of free apps that return most of that functionality back to Apple's devices. Maps has been noticeably absent, however, though the company did activate Street View for web apps, meaning mobile Safari users can access the feature in-browser.

In October, photographs of an iOS device running Google's alleged standalone iOS Maps app were leaked to press, showing what appeared to be a near-final version of the software. It is unclear if and when Google will submit the app for approval.
post #2 of 94
Good. It is seriously needed for the UK and parts of Europe.

Apple Maps has been the single most annoying and useless thing the company have ever done for me. 20+ years. This is the worst.

It's so infuriatingly useless.
post #3 of 94
I'll probably download it and never use it. Apple maps works fine for me
post #4 of 94
I bet it has adverts and is ugly. Anything else from Google would be surprising.

They have, like *one* person that can do reasonably good design at Google (G ), so if he is busy it's going to be a dog's breakfast for sure.
post #5 of 94

I dont know what all the fuss is about. Apple maps works flawlessly for me.

Never had a problem with it.

I think the people having problems with it are folks outside the US.

I'm just saying.  

post #6 of 94

Most consumers are over the whole Maps thing. 

Seems it was all media-inflated in the first place. 

post #7 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'll probably download it and never use it. Apple maps works fine for me

I'll do the same...what can G-Map do that Apple Map cannot?  May be offline map.  I am not really expect it will be there.  So it better be a good one, otherwise, I am the one to kick if off my phone.

post #8 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

... I think the people having problems with it are folks outside the US. ...

This is it precisely.  However, most of the world is "outside of the USA."  Heck, most of North America is "outside of the USA."  The USA is actually a small place. 

post #9 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

Apple Maps has been the single most annoying and useless thing the company have ever done for me. 20+ years. This is the worst.

I have the exact opposite opinion. Google Maps was a useless kludge that Google intentionally crippled so it wasn't feature compatible with the Android version. It was a slap in the face to iOS users, just like Microsoft and its Mac version of Office, and just like the Mac version of Intuit's Quicken. I think canning Google Maps was a wakeup call for Google and I don't have any intention of downloading it as Apple maps is already superior in a number of ways. Google needs Apple more than Apple needs Google. And Google rushing to replace their app with a better version is proof of that. Why didn't they do this in the first place? Why did they wait until Apple told them to take a hike? I don't understand some Apple users' fascination with and reverence for Google. They have done nothing but screw over Apple and its devotees... from Android to Maps. They are evil.

post #10 of 94

Still no comment on the APPL fire sale today?

post #11 of 94
What happened to DED's 5-part maps special? He kinda stopped halfway through.
post #12 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I have the exact opposite opinion. Google Maps was a useless kludge that Google intentionally crippled so it wasn't feature compatible with the Android version. It was a slap in the face to iOS users, just like Microsoft and its Mac version of Office, and just like the Mac version of Intuit's Quicken. I think canning Google Maps was a wakeup call for Google and I don't have any intention of downloading it as Apple maps is already superior in a number of ways. Google needs Apple more than Apple needs Google. And Google rushing to replace their app with a better version is proof of that. Why didn't they do this in the first place? Why did they wait until Apple told them to take a hike? I don't understand some Apple users' fascination of and reverence for Google. They have done nothing but screw over Apple and its devotees... from Android to Maps. They are evil.

I laughed at pretty much every sentence of your post, but the most amusing part was a guy from the midwest arguing with the previous commenter's opinion that iOS maps is a mess in the UK and parts of Europe. Spend a lot of time navigating the EU with your iPhone, do ya, Krupp?

post #13 of 94
Quote:

Maybe where you are, but where I am it is great. I love the fast rendering, beautiful graphics, and turn by turn. Moreover, I didn't use Apple maps at all when it was powered by Google. 

post #14 of 94
Quote:

Agree 100%

I get a sick feeling every time I look at the Maps icon...

1frown.gif

post #15 of 94
Thank god that google is coming to the rescue... And nokia.
post #16 of 94
DP
post #17 of 94
DP
post #18 of 94
Quote:

I dont know what all the fuss is about. Apple maps works flawlessly for me.

Never had a problem with it.

I think the people having problems with it are folks outside the US.

I'm just saying.  

According to the US Census Bureau:

• US population: 311,591,917 (Jul 2011)
  • Area: 9,827,000 km²

• World population: 6,973,738,433  in 2011 (source, world bank)
  • World area: 510,072,000 km²

I'm just saying.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #19 of 94
Those of us with any sense realized that Apple creating its own maps app is the best thing that could have happened. Now, Google actually has to compete and is motivated to bring out the best possible product on iOS. Meanwhile, Apple is highly motivated to get maps as good as possible, so as not to have it compare very negatively to Google's offering. We get the best of Apple, the best of Google. The alternative, as most of the screeching, hysterical fanatics would have wanted, is being stuck with an extremely crippled, feature-void default maps app made by Apple, with Google's data, with no real alternative.
post #20 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

I'll do the same...what can G-Map do that Apple Map cannot?  May be offline map.  I am not really expect it will be there.  So it better be a good one, otherwise, I am the one to kick if off my phone.

personally, the disconnection of public transit directions to other apps is neck snapping... i prefer the old maps interface where I could enter start and destination, and compare driving to public transit in one app, as opposed to keying it up in 2 different apps (transit for me).

post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

What's to say?  And what's the rush to say it?

1) If the bit of a crash is a transitory thing in a few weeks nobody will remember it; or

2) If it's a serious re-assessment of APPL (maybe biz partners upset over the ios6 glitch causing over-charges that have to be calculated and refunded, and some other things) then there will be plenty of time for all the sides to take up positions and deny it/snark it/over-analyze it/ignore it seriously.

Tomorrow's another day.  Apple will be around being Apple.

post #22 of 94
So now Google offer turn by turn navigation, for free. Until Apple came out with their own App, Google had been steadfastly refusing to offer that choice. Now only a couple months since Apple's App came out, they have the feature almost ready to go.

Real slimy move there, Google.
post #23 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Agree 100%

I get a sick feeling every time I look at the Maps icon...

1frown.gif

This has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.  I mean, seeing homeless people makes me sick with sadness, seeing people living in squalor, reading about pedophiles and watching FOX News makes me sick.  But looking at an icon on the iPhone?  Dude, get a life, either that or get an Android phone.

post #24 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

So the general decline of the stock market after Obama's reelection has nothing to do with it? And after reading quite a few of your past posts it's very clear what you are here for. You never have anything good to say about Apple, ever. Most of your posts are snarky put downs and backhanded slaps at Apple and its users. Makes one wonder what you are doing on an Apple fan site anyway. Why do the Apple haters feel compelled to join Apple fan sites and post bile and vitriol?

post #25 of 94

If Google Maps does become available as a dedicated app, is there a way to make it the default app?  I'm not aware of such functionality, which would limit the benefit to those that prefer Google maps.  I'm mainly thinking of when you select an address in another app and it redirects you to the dedicated mapping app.

post #26 of 94
Ho hum....nothing to see here.....move along......
post #27 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

This has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.  I mean, seeing homeless people makes me sick with sadness, seeing people living in squalor, reading about pedophiles and watching FOX News makes me sick.  But looking at an icon on the iPhone?  Dude, get a life, either that or get an Android phone.

Dude - take a chill-pill! I can almost hear the violin music playing in the background 1tongue.gif

I think you took my comment too seriously. I'm an Apple fan like most people here - but I stand by my opinion that Apple royally screwed up on the Maps App...

Anyway, Steve wouldn't have liked the icon design... 1wink.gif

1biggrin.gif
post #28 of 94
gazoobee,

Yes, but China is a huge place, with a lot of people, and apparently ios Maps works better there than Google Maps.

If I was a manufacturer and had to choose between Europe (or more specifically the UK where most problems have been reported) and China and US I think the answer would be clear.
post #29 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Dude - take a chill-pill! I can almost hear the violin music playing in the background 1tongue.gif

I think you took my comment too seriously. I'm an Apple fan like most people here - but I stand by my opinion that Apple royally screwed up on the Maps App...

Anyway, Steve wouldn't have liked the icon design... 1wink.gif

1biggrin.gif

I must say that the iOS6 Maps icon makes me twitch whenever I see it shown on the web (I'm waiting for the cellular data bleed issue to settle down before I install 6, so I don't have the new Maps app on my iPhone yet). The icon just looks sloppy, as though whover redesigned it didn't think about what they were doing. The cynical might say that they did, of course.
post #30 of 94
who in all of fuckdom actually wants "street view" on their phone? "Uh, NOT ME," said the pimp. I can get much better imagery with less washout and glare by pointing my instamatic directly at the sun, thanks.

Street View has sucked since its inception, and frankly, Apple's 3d flyover stomps a brand new mudhole in the middle of its ass.

I would rather go back to the yellow pages at a gas station than deal with fucking streetview again. NO. THANK. YOU.

Apple 3D maps, for the win, there is no debate.
post #31 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

who in all of fuckdom actually wants "street view" on their phone? "Uh, NOT ME," said the pimp. I can get much better imagery with less washout and glare by pointing my instamatic directly at the sun, thanks.
Street View has sucked since its inception, and frankly, Apple's 3d flyover stomps a brand new mudhole in the middle of its ass.
I would rather go back to the yellow pages at a gas station than deal with fucking streetview again. NO. THANK. YOU.
Apple 3D maps, for the win, there is no debate.

I want Street View for the very obvious reason it was created... to get a street level view of locations. 3D Maps are neither well covered or accurate enough to be useful in the way Street View is.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #32 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is it precisely.  However, most of the world is "outside of the USA."  Heck, most of North America is "outside of the USA."  The USA is actually a small place. 

America is the third largest country in the world so obviously it isn't a small part of the continent or the world. It is also the largest market for such services. The EU doesn't count as a market as it is not a country. 

No one has suggested that most of the world is not outside of America.

post #33 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by moooooser View Post

If Google Maps does become available as a dedicated app, is there a way to make it the default app?  I'm not aware of such functionality, which would limit the benefit to those that prefer Google maps.  I'm mainly thinking of when you select an address in another app and it redirects you to the dedicated mapping app.

Sorry no. The maps API always points to Apple maps. If you want maps inside your app you have to use MapKit which leverages Apple maps as the resource. Of course you can always point to a url and I would not be surprised at all if Google isn't trying register a known file extension, for example something like .gmap which if approved could open the Google maps app with parameters, but I highly doubt Apple is going to let you select your mapping solution like they allow you select a search engine default without governmental intervention.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #34 of 94
Quote:

Many folks said the same thing about Google Maps when it was less than a year old and we didn't 'need' it cause there was mapquest.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #35 of 94
not saying people in other parts of the world are not important That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that maps works fine in the US. We respect and love everyone all over the world.
post #36 of 94

For driving, the Apple maps have been great. But when I'm in NYC, as I am most of the time, I need transit directions. Other apps have attempted to step in, but it's a bit of an annoyance. I'll also be very psyched if the new app has biking directions as Gmaps web and Android have had for awhile.

I understand that most places in the US, transit and biking aren't priorities, so I don't fault Apple for the calculated move. But still, I'd love an app that had both. 

post #37 of 94

If you live in a major city and use public transportation like the subway, the apple map sucks.  The best part of google maps was getting directions with the subway, especially in a city like NYC where you can't remember every subway route.

I was in DC last week (a city that I don't know well), and it was real frustrating not having subway system embedded into the map.  Whereas with google maps, I was used to getting around the city with different options depending on subway, walking, etc....

post #38 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

personally, the disconnection of public transit directions to other apps is neck snapping

I feel the opposite. Googles transit info for me was a waste. Always out of date etc. I'd rather go to another app or site that has correct info.

post #39 of 94
Quote:

I dont know what all the fuss is about... Never had a problem with it... I think the people having problems with it are folks outside the US... I'm just saying.  

Excuse me?

post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

America is the third largest country in the world so obviously it isn't a small part of the continent or the world. It is also the largest market for such services. The EU doesn't count as a market as it is not a country. 

No one has suggested that most of the world is not outside of America.

Most of Canada is uninhabited, I just mapped the entire country for our sales rep locator app when I converted it from flash to HTML5. I had to outline every single island in the arctic where nobody except maybe Eskimos live just to be politically correct. I know Gazoobee hails from those parts north but really, US is a small market, really? As much as like the Canadians and Mexicans, they don't buy very much of our scientific products. Nevertheless we translate everything into Spanish and French just in case they want to find out more information on our offerings. Of course in Canada it is mandated that if we advertise in English we also have to provide product literature in French.

Edited by mstone - 11/15/12 at 6:59pm

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google reportedly distributing near-final version of standalone iOS Maps app