or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Drop in Apple stock blamed on anticipated capital gains tax hike [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Drop in Apple stock blamed on anticipated capital gains tax hike [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 128
In addition to resetting to a higher rate, will the capital gains tax apply only to AAPL stock sale?

AAPL is not the only stock that has gone up substantially in the last few years. The others have not gone down at the same rate.
post #42 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I doubt that's how they got rich in the first place.

I see no reason why they should suddenly discover self-loathing.

Voting against one's self interest does not equate self-loathing. There's nothing wrong with being rich.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #43 of 128
I have been following Apple for several years. The ups and downs don't have much to do with the news cycle. People just use things in the news to rationalize movements in the stock. Some pieces of news are a catalyst that starts a move up or down and then a bunch of articles come out to reinforce that movement.

Here is an article that explains the most likely cause of the decline and slingshot effect down (and soon to come up).

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11770503/1/apple-slingshot-making-sense-of-the-apparently-irrational.html

Apple will go back up from it's current $530 price to $700 and more over the next few months and all of the sudden the press will right all these positive stories about why the stock is going up because the company is doing so well. In a matter of days, with no fundamental change in how Apple "the company" is doing, the press will change their tune about how Apple "the company" is doing because of how well Apple "the stock" is doing.

I believe this article best summarizes that Apple is going to have another great year. This does not mean that Apple is better than Android, just that Apple has a great new lineup, will grow more than 20% next year, margins will grow as the product line refresh gets behind it, an that a PE ratio of 10 won't last for a company growing at the rate it is.

http://nanseninvestments.com/2012/11/03/apples-golden-age-right-around-the-corner-now-at-a-record-low-valuation/
post #44 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Clearly, the stock is being manipulated by hedge fund managers and other big boys to give them a buying opportunity. It should be illegal, but these guys are the top donors to both parties, so we all have to sit by and witness this theft.
This. Look no further than hedge fund manager Doug Kass whose been spreading a ton of FUD and helped shave off $130bn in market cap and now he's saying Apple is a buy. Apple is the most manipulated stock in the stock market. Everyone knows it, but spreading FUD is better click bait than talking about hedge fund managers manipulating the stock.
post #45 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


All the amateur day traders are killing what the stock market is about. Buying one minute, selling the next and vice versa.

 

 

I agree with that to a certain extend. It used to be if you wanted to sell a stock you had to get your broker on the phone and pay a decent fee. It made people think before they acted. Again, it is why I think the concept of investing has been undermined. If you buy a stock today, and sell it today to make a quick buck it isn't investing. More importantly, it undermines the value of the supposed investment of true investors and the companies themselves. 

post #46 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


I am sure you know enough math to know that it's nowhere near a 25% decline (since that would put the Dow at 10,350).

 

 

That is true, but my point was Apple is dropping when the over all market has been taking a bath for the same time period. Apple also took a good hit in the same period when it beat its own earnings forecasted, but missed those of the so called experts. Apple generally seems to amplify whatever the market is doing. So, generally if the market is doing well, Apple will do very well. If the market is down, Apple will be really down. 

post #47 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Betting on bad news should be illegal!? What next? Newspapers should be legislated out of business? Whining should be made illegal? Sadness should be outlawed? 1rolleyes.gif

 

 

No, betting on bad news should not be illegal. However, betting should be separated from "investing." You should not be allowed to bet against my investment using my investment to do so. This gives you an incentive to try and make the value of my investment drop. That benefits nobody but you, and undermines me, the company, and the over all economy.

 

Moreover, you illustrate the problem. Buying and selling stock was never intended to be betting. It was intended as a way to  buy into a company you believe in for the hope of a profit to the benefit of both the investor and company. 

 

The investment market should be confined strictly to buying and selling of the actual stock. So if you want to "bet" on bad news, you sell stock you already own. Now I don't have a problem creating another market for the so called betters. Perhaps, it could be conducted at the same place horse racing is done. 

post #48 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

The Democrats strike again. They won't be happy until they can turn their Great Recession into a Great Depression. Liberal Democrats were never happier than under FDR.
And there's no question that's what's happening. The three state in the worst economic shape--California, Illinois and New York, are heavily Democratic. And Detroit, perhaps the worst major city in the country, hasn't elected anyone but liberal Democrats in half a century.
Keep in mind another factor for Apple's stock fall. Many of those with Apple 'stuff' already have an older model. In this dismal Obama economy, they're going to be delaying upgrades.

 

wow. the right wing fantasies keep spinning and spinning up more nonsense.  The problem is a corrupt Repulican majority along with some Democrats deregulated Wall Street which of course led to run away greed and fraud.  This greed and fraud caused the housing bubble to grow and burst.  The bankers got bailed out and everyone else got shit on.  It continues to boggle my mind how the majority of republicans are not wealthy yet love to get bent over by the 1% and take it like they love it.

 

People like Romney and the 1% are directly responsible for the problems this country faces.  Romney personally outsource american jobs to China and India while at Bain Capital.  Outsourcing destroys the wage base which decreases tax income so we have to scale back our military and weaken America.  Yet the clueless Republican base gobbles up everything they hear on Faux News and blame the Democrats.  Funny how his campaign was about how he would "protect" american workers. His idea of protection is providing minimum wage jobs with no benefits or health insurance.

 

Both parties are to blame and in the end it is the illiterate voters in America which keep voting for the same lying traitors.  Until people wake up and stop voting for the same Republicans and Democrats nothing is going to change.

post #49 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, and perhaps that explains the Dow dropping from around 13, 800 to about 12, 500 in the same time period Apple's stock dropped?

You raise a good point. The market overall is down. Something that often happens this time of year, double with an election etc.

I would say that the decline of Apples stock is from a combination of general market decline, some folks that aren't really serious investors getting out over the gains rate hike and folks buying into the analysts etc and their hyperbolic estimates etc about sales, products etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #50 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It just seems like yesterday when AAPL raced to $200 only to drop to $80 a short time later. The sky was falling. Apple was finished. End of story for a tech company that showed so much promise.
... and then it rose to $700.

That last drop as I recall was the one win it leaked out about Steve's cancer and the details of what kind. At that point the world was all Apple is Steve and only Steve. His bringing others onstage etc to dissuade that thinking started shortly after that summer. As did an increase in the Jony and friends videos going on the website etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #51 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Maybe the market is reacting to how the company is doing without Steve. There's been a lot of mistakes and very little being done about them. The product lines are turning into a mess with updates taking longer and then delays in delivery. If we're seeing the future of Apple, we will soon be talking about the good ol' days in the not too distant future.

We haven't seen any actual delays in delivery other than iTunes 11. Just analysts claiming delays because they fear their numbers will be wrong. The iMac rumor is still a rumor.

As for the timetables, much of that could be the result of when there was the right components. If Intel or whomever delays releasing their part there's little Apple can do. And if Apple releases the same old thing with a stupid spec bump they get slammed for that since they aren't telling what the bigger plan is up front to protect said plans. So they go for something radical and get slammed on the blogs for it (case in point the iMac redesign). Basically on this front Apple is damned no matter what.

Tech in general is reaching a plateau. It happens. The boys have an idea and race to make it the best they can and then things slow down when there's little left to tweak and they need to think up a new idea. Not Apple's fault anymore than the Dow reacting to the economy, the presidential election etc is Apple's fault

But yes I agree that perception, caused by blogs and analysts and the hyperbole of both, about how the company is doing would be a factor

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #52 of 128
Market assumptions may not understand the current political will. There is also the possibility that capital gains rates are restructured to favor more long-term investments, while hiking the short-term rates. Define short-term as anything under three years, then step the rate down to even lower levels for investment held for longer periods of time.

That would actually increase the stock value of a company like Apple who plays the long game.
post #53 of 128
Originally Posted by macfb6 View Post
Sep 21?

iPhone 5

 

Your point being what? Stocks always drop after a keynote. That just happened to be the high at the time.

 

Of course, if you're insinuating that the stocks are controlled by people intelligent enough to understand what I've always said about the darn thing and who are themselves believing what I'm saying about what it implies for Apple, then I completely and utterly agree with you.

 

But if you're insinuating that the product (hardware+software) itself is bad, no. Period.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #54 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


No, betting on bad news should not be illegal. However, betting should be separated from "investing." You should not be allowed to bet against my investment using my investment to do so. This gives you an incentive to try and make the value of my investment drop. That benefits nobody but you, and undermines me, the company, and the over all economy.

Moreover, you illustrate the problem. Buying and selling stock was never intended to be betting. It was intended as a way to  buy into a company you believe in for the hope of a profit to the benefit of both the investor and company. 

The investment market should be confined strictly to buying and selling of the actual stock. So if you want to "bet" on bad news, you sell stock you already own. Now I don't have a problem creating another market for the so called betters. Perhaps, it could be conducted at the same place horse racing is done. 

Under your logic, option trading should be banned, since buying a put option is exactly equivalent to making a short sale (I make money on a put only when the tock price falls below the exercise price).

Yet, every time you hedge, every time you buy insurance, every time you put a floor on your losses in your portfolio, you are, in essence, buying a put option.

Would you outlaw all hedging and insurance as well?
post #55 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


That last drop as I recall was the one win it leaked out about Steve's cancer and the details of what kind. At that point the world was all Apple is Steve and only Steve. His bringing others onstage etc to dissuade that thinking started shortly after that summer. As did an increase in the Jony and friends videos going on the website etc


Exactly my point.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #56 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

 

 

No, betting on bad news should not be illegal. However, betting should be separated from "investing." You should not be allowed to bet against my investment using my investment to do so. This gives you an incentive to try and make the value of my investment drop. That benefits nobody but you, and undermines me, the company, and the over all economy.

 

Moreover, you illustrate the problem. Buying and selling stock was never intended to be betting. It was intended as a way to  buy into a company you believe in for the hope of a profit to the benefit of both the investor and company. 

 

The investment market should be confined strictly to buying and selling of the actual stock. So if you want to "bet" on bad news, you sell stock you already own. Now I don't have a problem creating another market for the so called betters. Perhaps, it could be conducted at the same place horse racing is done. 


So your objection is related to option trading or just flipping stocks?

post #57 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Clearly, the stock is being manipulated by hedge fund managers and other big boys to give them a buying opportunity. It should be illegal, but these guys are the top donors to both parties, so we all have to sit by and witness this theft.

Exactly how does one manipulate the market? People who say this usually have no clue how trading actually works. Large stock holders are not going to panic and sell just because AI releases a story that Apple is having supply problems. Small AAPL investors are generally not reading any tech rumor blogs.

 

I think that the article is mostly correct. Wealthy investors want to take some money off the table to avoid the likely capital gains tax increase. Apple has the most gains so they also get the most loses since that is where the investors have the most profit but the entire market has been down lately not just Apple.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #58 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Exactly how does one manipulate the market? People who say this usually have no clue how trading actually works. Large stock holders are not going to panic and sell just because AI releases a story that Apple is having supply problems. Small AAPL investors are generally not reading any tech rumor blogs.

 

I think that the article is mostly correct. Wealthy investors want to take some money off the table to avoid the likely capital gains tax increase. Apple has the most gains so they also get the most loses since that is where the investors have the most profit but the entire market has been down lately not just Apple.


I think it's funny that your second paragraph answers the question in the first paragraph.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #59 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

I think it's funny that your second paragraph answers the question in the first paragraph.

Perhaps you have a different understanding of the meaning of manipulating the market.

 

For every seller there is a buyer. How is that manipulation?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #60 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps you have a different understanding of the meaning of manipulating the market.

 

For every seller there is a buyer. How is that manipulation?


For every seller there is a buyer?

 

Maybe you and I have a different understanding of how the market works.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #61 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps you have a different understanding of the meaning of manipulating the market.

 

For every seller there is a buyer. How is that manipulation?


For every seller there is a buyer?

 

Maybe you and I have a different understanding of how the market works.

So you are saying the stock is being manipulated? 

 

No I think the market is working like it always does. People speculate trying to make a profit. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes events outside of the industry itself trigger changes in planning but it is not manipulation. With today's computerized trading programs it very difficult to manipulate the market for more than a few milliseconds, and that is being done and should be looked into, but it does not cause month long selling trends. The market is being depressed and is quite volatile right now mostly due to the European debt crisis which might spread to the US. In my opinion the US debt crisis will then spill over to China and AAPL will probably fall some more.

 

The recent downward movement in AAPL is completely driven by external factors and has nothing to do with anything at Apple. There are no crisis of failure to execute by Apple and no signs of sales falling so it appears to be solely related the national debt and likely tax increase in my opinion.

 

But please share your understanding of how the stock is being manipulated. I am always interested to learn something new.


Edited by mstone - 11/17/12 at 10:40am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #62 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So you are saying the stock is being manipulated? 

 

No I think the market is working like it always does. People speculate trying to make a profit. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes events outside of the industry itself trigger changes in planning but it is not manipulation. With today's computerized trading programs it very difficult to manipulate the market for more than a few milliseconds, and that is being done and should be looked into, but it does not cause month long selling trends. The market is being depressed and is quite volatile right now mostly due to the European debit crisis which might spread to the US. In my opinion the US debit crisis will then spill over to China and AAPL will probably fall some more.

 

But please share your understanding of how the stock is being manipulated. I am always interested to learn something new.


So you've never heard of negative and positive sentiment. That's the manipulation that I am talking about. Creating negative sentiment makes it much easier to dump large blocks of stock and have the stock fall. Negative sentiment and large blocks create a downward trend in the stock. Later the same people buy back the large blocks at a lower price; being that they are the manipulators in the first place they are also the people to make the stock rise. Simple... but you already know this.

 

Large investors/hedge funds aren't looking to fool each other... they just want to shake out the 30 or 40 million shares in small investors hands.

 

Apple's forward p/e is enough to tell me that the stock is being shorted (and naked shorted) by hedge funds. [on edit] or do you have another explanation for a downward movement in a stock where the company CEO has said that there will be a blowout quarter during the holidays with sales of its products that are so in demand that they can't keep up with production.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #63 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So you've never heard of negative and positive sentiment. That's the manipulation that I am talking about. Creating negative sentiment makes it much easier to dump large blocks of stock and have the stock fall. Negative sentiment and large blocks create a downward trend in the stock. 

Please show me the negative sentiment. I must have missed that. Selling large blocks of stocks takes time because buyers of large blocks are not easily hoodwinked. The large block would have to be sold in small lots. But if as you say there is negative sentiment why would those small investors be buyers. The market is in balance for the moment. Stocks are bought and sold in a one to one ratio.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #64 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Please show me the negative sentiment. I must have missed that. Selling large blocks of stocks takes time because buyers of large blocks are not easily hoodwinked. The large block would have to be sold in small lots. But if as you say there is negative sentiment why would those small investors be buyers. The market is in balance for the moment. Stocks are bought and sold in a one to one ratio.


The stock price isn't enough for you? Wow... what does it take.

 

Production problems, market share dropping, Samsung won't settle, Moto/Apple going to arbitration, stock being sold, VPs leaving, iMac production being delayed.... this isn't just being reported on AI.

 

... and, what's really funny is that you want me to show you the negative sentiment... as if there isn't any. So the stock should be going up, right?

 

"But if as you say there is negative sentiment why would those small investors be buyers."

 

Hmmm... sounds like he's starting to get it...


Edited by island hermit - 11/17/12 at 11:10am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #65 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

The stock price isn't enough for you? Wow... what does it take.

 

Production problems, market share dropping, Samsung won't settle, Moto/Apple going to arbitration, stock being sold, VPs leaving, iMac production being delayed.... this isn't just being reported on AI.

 

... and, what's really funny is that you want me to show you the negative sentiment... as if there isn't any. So the stock should be going up, right?

I don't see any intelligent investor worrying about those production delays or court cases seriously affecting Apple share price. People have a lot of profit in Apple and the only reason to sell is that you either want to avoid the likely increase in capital gains tax or you think the shares are over bought, latter being only part of the reason. Nothing to do with Apple per se it is just a combination of external factors. It is not a case of pump and dump. Analysts simply wanted the stock to keep going up but external forces are forcing it down. Short term traders are active in the options market but it is a mixture of buying and selling of mostly small blocks based primarily on strike price and expiration. The whole market is trending down and AAPL, being over bought and highly volatile, is showing more downside pressure than some other stocks.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #66 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't see any intelligent investor worrying about those production delays or court cases seriously affecting Apple share price. People have a lot of profit in Apple and the only reason to sell is that you either want to avoid the likely increase in capital gains tax or you think the shares are over bought, latter being only part of the reason. Nothing to do with Apple per se it is just a combination of external factors. It is not a case of pump and dump. Analysts simply wanted the stock to keep going up but external forces are forcing it down. Short term traders are active in the options market but it is a mixture of buying and selling of mostly small blocks based primarily on strike price and expiration. The whole market is trending down and AAPL, being over bought and highly volatile, is showing more downside pressure than some other stocks.

 

AAPL is over bought?

 

Intelligent investor?

 

Analysts want the stock to go up?

 

Sorry, I thought we were talking about Apple.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #67 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Analysts want the stock to go up?

Have you looked at their forecasts?

post #68 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Please show me the negative sentiment.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The stock price isn't enough for you? Wow... what does it take.

I don't think you see the circularity in what you're saying.

post #69 of 128

Please don't pay any attention to the AAPL share price displayed at the top of this page. It looks like a price from last month. 

 

Personally I sold my AAPL a couple years ago so I'm just bystander. I have no dog in this race but I might get back in if I see a positive outcome to the fiscal cliff negotiations although I'm not very optimistic. I wish I had gotten in and out on MDBX Wednesday and Thursday.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #70 of 128

This doesn't make sense.  If Apple stock is so desirable, investors should sell to take the gain for lower capital gain this year and then buy back immediately to hold again.  (This doesn't count as wash sell since wash sell only applies to lost.)

post #71 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


You are over simplifying complex issues. More importantly, you are to your own detriment treating politics as a sport. The reality is there are both good democrats and good republicans. In addition, the US would greatly benefit from more than a two party system being that complex issues shouldn't be confined to merely two perspectives that are trying to make the other look bad while gaining power.

 

You make a lot of good statements. I'd like to comment on your opening idea regarding three or more parties. 

 

In the past, when a third party sprung up, it was usually made up of supporters and voters of one of the two main parties, which assured that party would lose elections until it was reabsorbed back into the main party. At the current time it is the Republican party that is most likely to split and spin off a fringe-right group of theocrats. Looking down the road a bit the Democrats could spin off an Espaniol party that would gain its power by aligning with (or threatening to) one party or other for leverage; although I don't really see that as likely. It takes a very charismatic person to pull off creating a new party.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #72 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Have you looked at their forecasts?

 

I've seen as low as <$400 and I've seen as high as $1300.

 

... and those analysts were so positive about that last quarterly announcement...


Edited by island hermit - 11/17/12 at 12:00pm
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #73 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It takes a very charismatic person to pull off creating a new party.

 


 
Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:
"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election."
 
----------------
 
That would certainly clean things up in Congress.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #74 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 

I don't think you see the circularity in what you're saying.

 

I was using the stock price to show that there is negative sentiment and I backed it up with the current forward p/e.

 

If there was positive sentiment then would AAPL be this low.

 

What created the negative sentiment? Are all tech stocks being treated equally? Is AAPL being specifically punished?

 

Answer those questions and I'm sure any thinking person would be able to see that there is manipulation in Apple's stock.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #75 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

This doesn't make sense.  If Apple stock is so desirable, investors should sell to take the gain for lower capital gain this year and then buy back immediately to hold again.  (This doesn't count as wash sell since wash sell only applies to lost.)

It's actually a loss.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #76 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

If there was positive sentiment then would AAPL be this low.

 

I agree there is negative sentiment but it is about the economy in general, justifiably, and AAPL is being hit hard simply because that is where the most profit is.

 

It is not specific negative sentiment regarding Apple. I actually believe most people have a very high regard for Apple but they are not the majority of AAPL stock holders. These wild trading swings are technical not fundamental.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #77 of 128
There's a TON of FUD out there regarding Apple right now. You'd have to be blind as a bat not to see it. Apple releases the iPhone 5 and sell 5 million over one weekend and investors yawn and ask 'where's the iPad mini?' Then Apple release the mini and the Wall Street gurus go 'big deal, it's just a smaller iPad, where's the iTV'. Just this past Friday there were two Wall Street analysts who cover Apple on CNBC spreading a bunch of FUD on Apple and innovation. It's like if Apple isn't releasing some revolutionary product every 6 months they're not innovating and are doomed to failure. Of course it doesn't help when you have guys like Woz out ther saying he thinks Microsoft is more innovative than Apple. 1oyvey.gif

What all these clowns forget is, Apple wasn't throwing out revolutionary product after revolutionary product every 6 months under Steve Jobs. The iMac came out in 1998. We didn't see the iPod until 2001, and then it wasn't until 2007 that we got the iPhone and 2010 the iPad.

Also, what other company is throwing out revolutionary products all the time? What's so innovative about 4.5" screens on phones? The reason they exist is because Android OEM's are slaves to the big telecoms who were pushing LTE. These phones had to be bigger to support a bigger battery to power LTE. To me Apple packing all this great technology into smaller, thinner and lighter devices is more innovative. I still marvel at the lightness of my iPhone 5 every time I pick it up. It's so thin and light and yet doesn't feel cheap at all. And when it comes to tablets, what's so innovative about 7" devices? It seems obvious Google and Amazon knew the only way they could compete with iPad was on price. So they created 7" tablets, sold them at cost and then got the media to focus on the $199 price as compared to what an iPad costs. Not sure how selling cheaper hardware at cost = innovation.
post #78 of 128
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Also, what other company is throwing out revolutionary products all the time? What's so innovative about 4.5" screens on phones? The reason they exist is because Android OEM's are slaves to the big telecoms who were pushing LTE. These phones had to be bigger to support a bigger battery to power LTE.

 

I saw an LG phone with a 5", 3:4 screen. I walked out of the store. I wasn't done, I just couldn't deal with the sheer level of stupidity that went into making what I was seeing available for purchase by actual people.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #79 of 128
Yes, I think it's very likely the capital gains rate is going to increase by a few % (it will most likely revert to 20%, but I've also heard the idea floated of reverting to Clinton levels of 18% as a 'compromise' measure)%u2026 but to point to THAT as 'the reason' Apple's stock has dropped? That's just called "making stuff up" and calling it "analysis"...
post #80 of 128

This is all wrong!

 

Apple stock is down because iOS 6 Maps app sucks.

And they are constantly suing everyone under the sun. It's simply coming back to bite them.

They need to stop litigating and start innovating!

I even heard that Apple sued a grandma because she said her grandchild is the "apple of my eye".

 

/s

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Drop in Apple stock blamed on anticipated capital gains tax hike [u]