or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes Match down as Apple's iCloud issues continue [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iTunes Match down as Apple's iCloud issues continue [u]

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Only hours after a significant iMessage and FaceTime outage, Apple's iTunes Match was also unavailable Monday morning [update: back online].

Update: iTunes Match was once again available to users as of 11 a.m. Eastern on Monday.

The latest iCloud outage discovered by AppleInsider was still in effect as of around 8 a.m. Eastern. Attempts to play or download iTunes Match content via an iOS device or Mac was not operational.

Despite this issue affecting multiple users, Apple's iCloud website still advertised that all services are functional. It only acknowledged that "some" users were affected by an iMessage and FaceTime outage as of Sunday evening.

But while iMessage and FaceTime are free features for iOS and Mac users, iTunes Match is a paid service that users pay $24.99 per year to use. It allows customers to store their own personal music collection in Apple's iCloud, giving remote access to song files that were not purchased through the iTunes Music Store.

Attempts to play iTunes Match content Monday morning simply resulted in tracks sitting at "0:00" with no error messages.

iCloud


This week's outage was the fourth of its kind in the past three months, including one incident in September and two (1, 2) in October. While FaceTime calls were completely unavailable Sunday, attempts to send iMessages from an iPhone simply reverted to SMS texts to go through.
post #2 of 29
These issues may be caused due to the new iTunes about to come out in testing.
post #3 of 29
What a joke. Neither of these services are down as beta, and central to my devices and usage. . I've said it before and say it again: apple and google should have found a way to not fight but work together with their respective strengths - apple's record on online stuff says it all.
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
Reply
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
Reply
post #4 of 29
Rumor has it that iCloud is implemented in part using Microsoft's Azure. If true, one should not be surprised by iCloud's problems.
post #5 of 29

It wouldn't be a day without some kind of iCloud service going down. I like Apple and I like iCloud when it works, but this is getting ridiculous! I'm glad its a free service or else I'd be canceling. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #6 of 29

In fact, I think iMessage and Facetime were not only affected in the US, but also in Switzerland, suggesting it to be a more pan-global dysfunctioning of the two Apple services Apps.

post #7 of 29
While reading this article, my iPad started playing music (from iTunes Match) that I has selected for it to play 30 minutes ago. Sadly, when trying to select any other songs to play, it won't play & only the original song I picked will play.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm glad its a free service or else I'd be canceling. 

 

I pay $25 a year for iTunes Match. Not all iCloud services are free.

post #9 of 29

Also outage in Belgium.

post #10 of 29

My gym experience this morning was painful with none of my music. Glad it wasn't just me. I've had a myriad of issues with iTunes Match. I think after today it's back to local storage on my phone and relegate Match to just the iPad and Apple TV. While today was a complete outage, I'm constantly having issues streaming. And no it's not my phone with ~13M LTE at the same time and everything else working fine. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #11 of 29

So, you're saying, "based on rumor", iCloud's disastrous performance and reliability issues are "in part" due to Microsoft's fault but "in full" due to Apple's ineptness because it can't even manage to create its own robust cloud infrastructure? I thought Apple is about to make a major headway in corporate world since Windows 8 et al. are sucks. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Rumor has it that iCloud is implemented in part using Microsoft's Azure. If true, one should not be surprised by iCloud's problems.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

My gym experience this morning was painful with none of my music. Glad it wasn't just me. I've had a myriad of issues with iTunes Match. I think after today it's back to local storage on my phone and relegate Match to just the iPad and Apple TV. While today was a complete outage, I'm constantly having issues streaming. And no it's not my phone with ~13M LTE at the same time and everything else working fine. 
Now you know why the iPod Classic is the 4th most popular iPod sold on Amazon.
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I've said it before and say it again: apple and google should have found a way to not fight but work together with their respective strengths - apple's record on online stuff says it all.

I would have to agree. Apple keeps failing and trying to re-brand to shake the stigma on its hosted offerings. Fundamentally, they don't have the "Internet company" DNA: scale with good cheap commodity components and pick up reliability through your software and graceful failover.

Just the idea of the Maiden, NC data center is a joke, if they really spent $1B on it. This type of monolithic design is out of favor for a number of very good reasons.
post #14 of 29
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post
Just the idea of the Maiden, NC data center is a joke, if they really spent $1B on it. This type of monolithic design is out of favor for a number of very good reasons.

 

Why?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #15 of 29
Its annoying but I have faith hey will fix this.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


Now you know why the iPod Classic is the 4th most popular iPod sold on Amazon.

I don't know, storing music locally as it's been done for the last few years on the iPhone is fine and works no different than an iPod. Naturally Match keeps updating it nice and easy, but for the piece of mind, I'll return to doing it the 'old' way. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

What a joke. Neither of these services are down as beta, and central to my devices and usage. . I've said it before and say it again: apple and google should have found a way to not fight but work together with their respective strengths - apple's record on online stuff says it all.

Apple's iTunes Store and App Store seems very stable. That probably has more financial transactions than Amazon does and probably has more profit, even if it doesn't have more revenue.

It's there iMessages, FaceTime, and iCloud services that seem to have issues. The question is why? They clearly understand rapid growth in a cloud environment so how can they continue to keep messing up on these services? Is it because it's not transactional but relational (just assuming)?

I said back with MobileMe that they were doing it wrong. I was fine with paying the paltry sum for the service for what it offered but felt they should have had .Mac users test it first, then not allow the free 30-day trial without requiring a CC on file (which they later did) and/or having an invitation setup like Gmail did (they certainly should have done invitation for the iCloud). I think the problem is that Apple is still looking at problems like a small and nimble startup does — and that's fine, in general — but you can't do that for all aspects when your consumer base is so massive. You need to control growth so you can deal with problems on your terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Rumor has it that iCloud is implemented in part using Microsoft's Azure. If true, one should not be surprised by iCloud's problems.

I don't think we can blame Azure. Apple likely uses many vendors for cloud storage and processing didn't hear anything about Azure being down and Azure being down shouldn't affect all those Apple services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

My gym experience this morning was painful with none of my music. Glad it wasn't just me. I've had a myriad of issues with iTunes Match. I think after today it's back to local storage on my phone and relegate Match to just the iPad and Apple TV. While today was a complete outage, I'm constantly having issues streaming. And no it's not my phone with ~13M LTE at the same time and everything else working fine. 

So you're putting some songs on it locally and/or getting Spotify (or some other music service) to use in case that happens again?

Kudos to you for still working out. If I didn't have music I would likely use that as an excuse to not work out. I have an iPod Shuffle in a waterproof case with waterproof headphones and about one a month the battery finally dies, and I think every time I fail to swim laps that day.

I exercise because it's good for you but I don't care for the repetitive action of cardiovascular activity so I look for any reason to convince myself I don't have to.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you're putting some songs on it locally and/or getting Spotify (or some other music service) to use in case that happens again?
Kudos to you for still working out. If I didn't have music I would likely use that as an excuse to not work out. I have an iPod Shuffle in a waterproof case with waterproof headphones and about one a month the battery finally dies, and I think every time I fail to swim laps that day.
I exercise because it's good for you but I don't care for the repetitive action of cardiovascular activity so I look for any reason to convince myself I don't have to.

 

I meant sync my playlists locally. I only use the free version of Spotify on the desktop. I have all the usual music apps, and substituted Pandora for this morning but still not the same. I'm a bit OCD about gym playlists for some reason, other situations not so much. It's a tough schedule, out the door at 4:15a to squeeze gym time in before the office at 7a. Such is life.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #19 of 29
iMessage is working here in Houston.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I meant sync my playlists locally. I only use the free version of Spotify on the desktop. I have all the usual music apps, and substituted Pandora for this morning but still not the same. I'm a bit OCD about gym playlists for some reason, other situations not so much. It's a tough schedule, out the door at 4:15a to squeeze gym time in before the office at 7a. Such is life.

And I thought I was an early riser at 5:00am and work at 7:30am.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And I thought I was an early riser at 5:00am and work at 7:30am.

We're keeping the same schedule...1smile.gif I spend the first 30 minutes on "clearing of the spam" on a couple of sites or I'd sleep in till 6:00

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #22 of 29

Well, just to be fair to Apple, the Sun has been active recently, so large-scale networks might be struggling with issues from charged particles or ground currents or whatever you call the spaceweather effects.

 

Also, of course, the Middle East conflict apparently has Anonymous hacking away at things so who knows what net fallout that may have.

post #23 of 29
Guys it is time to put the right perspective in your lives and it I'd certainly more than just
revolving around everything Apple especially their flaws.

I am not sure the outages are life threatening but if you intend to shoot your dog because of
it i suggest you get a life which is smelling the roses and telling your mum how much you love
her.

It is getting ridiculous that every flaw of Apple was argued as if world hunger depends on it.

It is time to really to get a life and life is certainly more than everything Apple.
post #24 of 29

I can tell you from my own personal experience yesterday was an annoying day.  First, from about noon until 5 in the afternoon none of my iMessages would go through.  They'd get 90% of the way through and get stuck.  Then, I tried using Facetime like I normally do, and it wouldn't work.  And, of course, later in the day I logged on my computer and attempted to update my iTunes Match library, so I could stream more content to my Apple TV - for over two hours it consistently gave me an "Error 4001" message every time it attempted to contact the server.  

 

Was it the end of the world ...?  Hardly.  Was it annoying ...?  You bet you sweet a%^ it was.  


Edited by blursd - 11/19/12 at 12:22pm
post #25 of 29
I still can't use iMessage...wait yes I can

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

It is time to really to get a life and life is certainly more than everything Apple.

How can you type that with a straight face?  Or are you snickering as you type?

 

Apple is the giant company it is because IT MARKETS ITSELF as a lifestyle.  Sony sells gadgets.  Apple sells lifestyle.

 

So everyone enjoys the community of Apple when the Sun is out and everyone is happy.

 

But when anything bad happens people say, "Get a life."

 

Well, people BOUGHT A LIFE when they bought an Apple product.  It kind of sucks that some people don't want them to live that Apple life on cloudy days as well as sunny days.

post #27 of 29
Originally Posted by markLouis View Post
Apple is the giant company it is because IT MARKETS ITSELF as a lifestyle. Sony sells gadgets.  Apple sells lifestyle. Well, people BOUGHT A LIFE when they bought an Apple product.

 

This doesn't really make any sense.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #28 of 29

When the sun continues to shine, and the news is still scarce. Yet, APPL gets hammered. Then the day turns cloudy, and the news is still nowhere to be found. Voila..., APPL suddenly rises like there's no tomorrow.

 

The moral of the story: APPL, like any other stocks owned mostly by hedge funds and big institutions, is always primed to be manipulated. Other types of shareholders will only be able to watch when the real AAPL movers and shakers move and shake. It is good to be long APPL's, but to be short AAPL's, it's not so good.

post #29 of 29
>>Apple is the giant company it is because IT MARKETS ITSELF as a lifestyle. Sony sells gadgets.  Apple sells lifestyle. Well, people BOUGHT A LIFE when they bought an Apple product.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

This doesn't really make any sense.

 

I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to waste anyone's time and I'll stop it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes Match down as Apple's iCloud issues continue [u]