or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AC/DC library now available on Apple's iTunes Store

AC/DC library now available on Apple's iTunes Store

post #1 of 34
Legendary rockers AC/DC, one of the last major holdouts from the iTunes Store, have inked a deal with Apple, and their catalog of songs is now available for purchase.

AC/DC

The iTunes Store prominently advertised Monday morning that AC/DC's entire catalog is now available. Options include the full studio collection for $99.99, while an expanded digital box set with rarities, demo tracks and four live albums is available for $149.99.

Classic albums including "Back in Black" and "Highway to Hell" are available for $9.99 each, while the breakthrough album "High Voltage" is mastered for iTunes and is $14.99.

Individual AC/DC tracks are also available for $1.29 each, including "Thunderstruck," "You Shook Me All Night Long," "T.N.T," and "Hells Bells."

The full list of albums mastered for iTunes and now available are:
Collections
  • The Collection (all studio albums for $99.99)
  • The Complete Collection (all studio albums, live albums and box sets for $149.99)

16 Studio Albums
  • High Voltage (1976)
  • Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (1976)
  • Let There Be Rock (1977)
  • Powerage (1978)
  • Highway To Hell (1979)
  • Back In Black (1980)
  • For Those About To Rock We Salute You (1981)
  • Flick Of The Switch (1983)
  • 74 Jailbreak (1984)
  • Fly On The Wall (1985)
  • Who Made Who (1986)
  • Blow Up Your Video (1988)
  • The Razors Edge (1990)
  • Ballbreaker (1995)
  • Stiff Upper Lip (2000)
  • Black Ice (2008)

4 Live Albums
  • If You Want Blood You?ve Got It (1978)
  • Live (1992)
  • Live (2 Volume Collector?s Edition) (1992)
  • Live At River Plate (2012)

3 Compilation Albums
  • Bonfire (1997)
  • Backtracks audio (2009)
  • Iron Man 2 soundtrack (2010)

"AC/DC?s thunderous and primal rock and roll has excited fans for generations with their raw and rebellious brand of music, which also resonates with millions of new fans discovering AC/DC everyday," Apple said in a press release. "Their growing legion of fans will now experience the intensity of AC/DC?s music in a way it has never been heard before. AC/DC?s music has been Mastered for iTunes, ensuring the music is delivered to listeners with increased audio fidelity, more closely replicating what the artists, recording engineers and producers intended. "

Members of AC/DC held out from having their content available on iTunes, as they disliked the ability for users to buy individual tracks. In an interview last year, guitarist Angus Young said listening to their songs as part of a complete album was the "best way" to hear them.

The most famous holdout from Apple's iTunes Store was The Beatles, but their absence ended in late 2010. And the catalog of Led Zeppelin hit iTunes in 2007.
post #2 of 34
Gruber'll say, "finally".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 34
In case anyone missed the link: https://itunes.apple.com/artist/ac-dc/id5040714
post #4 of 34
Anyone who has held out this long should simply be left out IMHO.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #5 of 34

The Scottish, British, Australian band.

post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Anyone who has held out this long should simply be left out IMHO.

Disagree. It is their music, you know.

post #7 of 34

Finally.  

post #8 of 34

yawn. 

post #9 of 34
Beavis and Butthead will be very pleased.
post #10 of 34

They're definitely on the "highway to hell" now....

post #11 of 34
taken a long time, but finally geezer rock LOL /sarcasm has arrived in the iTunes store... (along with the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin,KISS. among others gone-but -perhaps -not-forgotten) meaning anything that was Originally released on VINYL (gasp)...
ok, they were not geezers at the time it was made... (thus this is Sarcasm)

the good ole days, when were was no "Bling" just a band that sang,(and only "real-time" sound processing) when on tour, F* there brains out, played music, and moved on... kinda makes you wish for the days of Hi-Fi, Cassettes and record players...

and IMO AC/DC, Responsible for the mighty "Rock Chick"... or rock-goth.. LOL (or was that KISS)...
post #12 of 34

after garth brooks and bob segar, who's left??

post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

after garth brooks and bob segar, who's left??

Kid Rock-although I am not trying to imply he is in the same league as the other hold outs.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #14 of 34
I was curious to see if iTunes Match would work with these albums, since I already own most of them. So far, only Back in Black shows up as Matched AAC. The others still show as MPEG Audio files from when I ripped my CDs.
post #15 of 34
Translation: "We're losing money on CD's now so we have no choice."
post #16 of 34

Duplicate post. Moderator, please remove.

post #17 of 34

Glad they've finally come on board.

Edited by leesmith - 11/19/12 at 9:35am
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Translation: "We're losing money on CD's now so we have no choice."

What does CD mean?

post #19 of 34
I don't get these artists who refuse to sign onto iTunes because they sell single songs. Are these guys naive enough to think people are going out and buying their CD's?
post #20 of 34

Actually, Kid Rock is on iTunes now too.

post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Classic albums including "Back in Black" and "Highway to Hell" are available for $9.99 each, while the breakthrough album "High Voltage" is mastered for iTunes and is $14.99.

All albums are mastered for iTunes, not only "High Voltage".

And "High Voltage" is only $9.99.

post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post

I was curious to see if iTunes Match would work with these albums, since I already own most of them. So far, only Back in Black shows up as Matched AAC. The others still show as MPEG Audio files from when I ripped my CDs.

Black in Black matched from day one of iTunes Match. It was odd then

post #23 of 34
Chris_CA View Post

All albums are mastered for iTunes, not only "High Voltage".

Producers can submit their catalog to iTunes using any old mastering method, but "Mastered for iTunes" refers to Apple's relatively new guidelines for audio engineers to produce a copy specifically for iTunes, just as they adjust various sound parameters when mastering for CD, vinyl, radio, etc. It has the added benefit of discouraging dynamic range compression, which squashes detail to have more perceived volume.

Apple guide to iTunes mastering (pdf)

[ninja edit] Ars Technica hands-on

[this account has been abandoned]

post #24 of 34
It's funny I saw just reading about the few bands/singers who hadn't been put into iTunes...

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The Scottish, British, Australian band.

No. The band has always been an Australian band, just some of the members have come from other parts of the world. A Melbourne pub band from the 70's.
post #26 of 34
Just in time for Obama's re-inauguration: "Back in Black"
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Producers can submit their catalog to iTunes using any old mastering method, but "Mastered for iTunes" refers to Apple's relatively new guidelines for audio engineers to produce a copy specifically for iTunes

Okay.

All AC/DC albums in iTunes state they are "Mastered for iTunes", not only "High Voltage" as noted in this article.

post #28 of 34

This was one of the things that surprised me when I first got an iPhone in 2008 and took a look at the iTunes store.

I have all their albums on CD so ripped them as AAC anyway.

I won "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" from a radio station in 1976 on vinyl, bought it on cassette in the eighties for my walkman, then on CD in the nineties for my diskman.

I'm not buying it again.

When they first started most of the mainstream music industry hated them, there was all this hippy shit and disco around on the radio, saw them live at a couple of small venues, it wasn't until they left Australia that they really took off, Back in Black was the world's best selling album in 1981 until Thriller came along, I've seen a few of their shows since then, well worth catching, their sets are amazing.

The other release this week is Celebration Day by Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant's vocals seem strained at times and lost a little bit of the magic, understandable really given his age.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I won "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" from a radio station in 1976 on vinyl, bought it on cassette in the eighties for my walkman, then on CD in the nineties for my diskman.

I'm not buying it again.

No one is asking you to buy it again.  No one asked you to buy it again on cassette and CD.  Apparently, you didn't know how to record it from vinyl to cassette in the 80s, like everyone else did.  This isn't for people that already own their catalog.  This is for people that never bought it, but might want to now.  Of course their older stuff is cheaper on CD than in iTunes ($7.64 on Amazon for Back in Black).  But kids today prefer to steal music off the internet rather than buy it.

post #30 of 34

I'll wait for the songs to show up on Amazon.  I hate exclusive deals.  I believe in competition.

post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

I don't get these artists who refuse to sign onto iTunes because they sell single songs. Are these guys naive enough to think people are going out and buying their CD's?

I actually bought their entire catalog on CD recently.
post #32 of 34

I never understood the holdout mentality either. Successful bands have to deal with the radio single paradigm.

More to the point, if your group doesn't offer music in a digital storefront, there is a huge chunk of consumers who will never know you exist.

post #33 of 34

Is the last notable group to not be on iTunes? I keep thinking there's another notable.

post #34 of 34

That illustrates the point perfectly.

"If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist."

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AC/DC library now available on Apple's iTunes Store