or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Online Apple Store showing 2-week ship times for iPhone 5, Black Friday sale announced [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: Online Apple Store showing 2-week ship times for iPhone 5, Black Friday sale announced [u]

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Apple's online store is now showing two-week delivery times for all iPhone 5 models, suggesting supply is finally catching up to demand, while the company's annual one-day Black Friday sale was officially announced.

Update: The dedicated Black Friday sale webpage has gone live on the U.S. Online Apple Store.

iPhone 5 Ship Times Improve



iPhone 5 Ship Times


It appears that Apple may finally be catching up with demand for its popular iPhone 5 handset as its online store is showing ship times of two weeks as of Monday, an improvement from the two to three week quotes seen earlier this month.

After seeing preorders top two million units in its first 24 hours on sales, supply of the iPhone 5 has been severely constrained. Apple announced that it had sold over five million copies of the handset over the first weekend of sales, noting that initial shipments were sold out as demand was outstripping supply.

According to a source from Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn, the iPhone 5 is "the most difficult device" the company has ever assembled. Contributing to the phone's complicated production is the use of advanced in-cell touchpanel technology and a uni-body aluminum chassis, the latter of which sparked a minor controversy when new units were being shipped with visible blemishes.

Rumors have been circulating that Apple is preparing to launch factory unlocked versions of the newest iPhone sometime in December, however AppleInsider was unable to corroborate those claims.

Black Friday Sale



Black Friday
Apple email regarding Friday's sale.


Apple on Monday sent out emails notifying customers of the company's one-day only sale scheduled for Friday, Nov. 23. In the U.S., Black Friday takes place the day after Thanksgiving and kicks off the holiday shopping season, with many retailers opening early to offer store-wide discounts.

Interestingly, those on Apple's mailing list are being directed to Australia's Online Apple Store, presumably because it will be the first major market to take advantage of the sale. As of this writing, Apple's U.S. website does not yet have a dedicated Black Friday page.

The company has yet to detail what products will be part of the sale, however last year authorized resellers served up major savings and are expected to do so again in 2012. AppleInsider will be covering the upcoming sales as they are announced later this week.
post #2 of 24

"Steve Jobs would never have discounted iPads."


Rumors have been circulating that Apple is preparing to launch factory unlocked versions of the newest iPhone sometime in December, however AppleInsider was unable to corroborate those claims.

 

You can buy one right now, can't you? That shouldn't be too hard to corroborate.

post #3 of 24
Apples so called "black Friday" amounts to 20 bucks off of a MacBook Pro. Much ado about nothing.
post #4 of 24
The iPhone has nearly caught up, possibly will for black friday(one week to drop wait times).
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Steve Jobs would never have discounted iPads."


Rumors have been circulating that Apple is preparing to launch factory unlocked versions of the newest iPhone sometime in December, however AppleInsider was unable to corroborate those claims.

 

You can buy one right now, can't you? That shouldn't be too hard to corroborate.

I am using my unlocked iPhone 4 as my local sim device while abroad and I'm very happy with the fact that AT&T lets you unlock it after the contract. My iPhone 5 is under contract but I need it anyway to receive stateside calls so it made no sense for me to buy an unlocked iPhone 5.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Apples so called "black Friday" amounts to 20 bucks off of a MacBook Pro. Much ado about nothing.

 

Aww...Apple retail does not rely on loss leaders? If it's $299 laptops you're after, there are plenty of them over at Wal-Mart.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #7 of 24

In reply to the comment that Steve Jobs would never had discounted Apple products.  

Respone: Steve Jobs personally chose Tim Cook for many very good reasons to lead Apple upon Job's passing.   Tim Cook is increasingly proving to be a very competent, wise, skilled leader for Apple who is commited as he should and as Job's would have wished to ensuring Apple is well positioned to be a long-term enduring American successful company for decades to come.    What is maintaining the premium on Apple products is Cook's commitment to quality and excellent customer service.  A discount one day a year, is actually very good marketing as well it provides the opportunity for people to purchase Apple at a variety of price points.  A discount will not undermine the brand as long as Apple maintains it's high quality standard that people can rely on and trust which they have been.  One of the reasons for the supply shortage which some stock traders exaggerated for their own benefit to scare inexperienced granny investors to sell, to depress the stock price, was a slow down in production as Apple was working out glitches to ensure quality while still being able to produce millions of products.   Cook is very good at maintaining smooth supply flow, while developing an economy of scale able to support more production and new products which surely are in the Apple pipeline.    Erica Denison

post #8 of 24

I got the best Black Friday deal - free.  My company bought me one for work purposes, but who says I can't have some fun.

 

I do think the iPhone is getting ridiculous to use in regards to its weight and thinness.  For me, I was used to Blackberry phones feeling a bit weighty.  It sounds crazy to say you want a phone to weigh more or at least feel substantial.  I had an OtterBox cover purchased for me and that made the difference.  It now doesn't feel too much heavier but at least feels like something I can work with in my hand.

 

The OtterBox is great for protecting it from scratches and dings from dropping the phone by accident.  Well worth the purchase.

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Aww...Apple retail does not rely on loss leaders? If it's $299 laptops you're after, there are plenty of them over at Wal-Mart.
He's right- it's much ado about nothing. He didnt complain, he didnt say he wanted a $299 laptop. Take the finger off the trigger.... Relax...
Quote:
Originally Posted by exercisehealth View Post

In reply to the comment that Steve Jobs would never had discounted Apple products.  

Respone: Steve Jobs personally chose Tim Cook for many very good reasons to lead Apple upon Job's passing.   Tim Cook is increasingly proving to be a very competent, wise, skilled leader for Apple who is commited as he should and as Job's would have wished to ensuring Apple is well positioned to be a long-term enduring American successful company for decades to come.    What is maintaining the premium on Apple products is Cook's commitment to quality and excellent customer service.  A discount one day a year, is actually very good marketing as well it provides the opportunity for people to purchase Apple at a variety of price points.  A discount will not undermine the brand as long as Apple maintains it's high quality standard that people can rely on and trust which they have been.  One of the reasons for the supply shortage which some stock traders exaggerated for their own benefit to scare inexperienced granny investors to sell, to depress the stock price, was a slow down in production as Apple was working out glitches to ensure quality while still being able to produce millions of products.   Cook is very good at maintaining smooth supply flow, while developing an economy of scale able to support more production and new products which surely are in the Apple pipeline.    Erica Denison
He was being sarcastic with that comment.


Must be a full moon tonight... Yikes

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #10 of 24

No I'm not, I am very happy with my 2011 Macbook Pro.  I was simply pointing out that Apple makes this big deal of their so called black friday sales when they're anything but.

post #11 of 24
I'm hoping to get some ipad minis for my family, but I'm doubtful Apple will even offer a discount.
post #12 of 24

Any ideas about discounts (if they happen) on the iPad 4th gen?

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Any ideas about discounts (if they happen) on the iPad 4th gen?

Probably 20 dollars, If that. Best Buy has them for 60 dollars off all day Friday though, online and in store. 150 off MacBook Pro's and Airs as well.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

No I'm not, I am very happy with my 2011 Macbook Pro.  I was simply pointing out that Apple makes this big deal of their so called black friday sales when they're anything but.

Last year, they gave $100 of MBA and up to $250 off MBPs. Now, that's not like the loss leader deals that others are offering, but it's hardly 'nothing'.


OTOH, if it's nothing to you, just send me $250 every week. It will make me happy and cost you 'nothing'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Last year, they gave $100 of MBA and up to $250 off MBPs. Now, that's not like the loss leader deals that others are offering, but it's hardly 'nothing'.
OTOH, if it's nothing to you, just send me $250 every week. It will make me happy and cost you 'nothing'.

It's nothing and actually your paying substantially more than a 3rd party seller such as Macmall- and for most you don't pay tax (I know- you're supposed to EOY)- a site sponsor. If you buy from the Apple store, unless you're getting it day 1, then you're just spending unnecessary money.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by exercisehealth View Post

In reply to the comment that Steve Jobs would never had discounted Apple products.  

You can reply a lot shorter.

Steve jobs is dead and what he would have done is moot. Not to mention that this one day plus the ongoing education, business etc discounts started under Steve.

That said, the comment was likely meant as a joke. But it is one IMO that needs to be dropped. It's just not funny after the 10k time

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Steve Jobs would never have discounted iPads."

 

You can buy one right now, can't you? That shouldn't be too hard to corroborate.

 

You can't walk into an Apple Store and buy an unlocked phone. You must get a contract with Verizon to get an unlocked phone. Many of us want an unlocked phone without a contract so we can use other cell companies (Cricket, Virgin, etc). They have unlocked phones in Canada, but not here :(

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #18 of 24
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
Probably 20 dollars, If that.

 

It was 50-70 last year, so no, not 20.

 

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post
You can't walk into an Apple Store and buy an unlocked phone.

 

Then why have people said they've done it?

post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post



That said, the comment was likely meant as a joke. But it is one IMO that needs to be dropped. It's just not funny after the 10k time

If you take that, Apple is doomed, and It feels snappier away... then what will TS Post about?  Oh ya.. there's always the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini....

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #20 of 24
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
…then what will TS Post about?

 

There are plenty of ways to mock the Anti-Apple brigade. The goal is to make it too embarrassing for them to post anything they want to post.

post #21 of 24
One thing a lot of cheapskates don't understand about value is as follows:

A teacher I knew did not used to charge anything at all for the meditataion classes he gave in the late 60's. A handful of people might show up for a class. He figured that teaching people how to meditate and go on a journey of self discovery should not be charged for and anyway he had a part time job so didn't need the money. Then one day he decided he would rather teach his class fulltime because he enjoyed it so much. This left him with a dilemma: he needed to put dinner on the table and pay the rent! He agonized over this for several weeks before deciding to charge a modest fee of $10 per class. Can you guess what happend? Suddenly he had to start turning people away because the room in his house could only fit 30 or so students. He was baffled! Then a few weeks later he figured it out. If he makes something too cheap or free people don't seem to value it as much. In fact he found that the students he got were more eager to learn and showed up to all his classes, not skipping them like before! I think the same phenomenon works with most things. Buy that cheap $99-$199 tablet. it's not valued as much, so when it doesn't work very well, it has more chance of simply sitting in the drawer and forgotten. Conversley if you have to spend $500 for an iPad you probably tend to use it, after all you shelled out good money to pay for it and you don't want that hard earned money to go to waste. I think that the PC industry suffers the same fate. Futhermore because Apple charges more and the products are high quality the perceived value of ther procducts is much greater. Over time this has a snowball effect, a level of trust settles in and consumers buy Apple devices because they are trusted to manufacture devices that will work and work well. I don't think this is so much the case with Android devices and so on.

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.


History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014



Reply

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.


History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014



Reply
post #22 of 24

It would be just peachy if Apple would actually allow us to, you know, BUY an iMac. It's been nearly a month now and you still can't even order one.

post #23 of 24

Happy shopping to everyone. Why isn't there more about iPhone 5 productions, units shipped et al? There's been rumors of iPhone 6 and stuff but nothing much concrete on iPhone 5's production.

post #24 of 24
Originally Posted by jpadhiyar View Post
There's been rumors of iPhone 6…

 

"Urge to kill rising…"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Online Apple Store showing 2-week ship times for iPhone 5, Black Friday sale announced [u]