or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple television predicted to headline three core product launches in 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple television predicted to headline three core product launches in 2013

post #1 of 202
Thread Starter 
Apple is forecast by one prominent market watcher to hold three major product launches in 2013, capped off by the introduction of a full-fledged television set by the end of the year.

Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray issued a note to investors on Tuesday, aimed at calming some concern on the part of investors over Apple's next product cycle. He believes the next year will set the stage for bigger changes in Apple's lineup.

Most notably, he expects Apple will launch a television set in time for the holiday 2013 shopping season. He expects the product to be priced between $1,500 and $2,000, with screen sizes between 42 and 55 inches.

"We expect the beauty of the design to be a feature, but the most important feature will be the ability to use the TV as the main interface for the living room across multiple devices," Munster wrote. "We believe the TV will include Siri and FaceTime. The biggest item unlikely to come with the TV will be unbundled channels."

Television


But before a television set, Munster expects Apple to hold an event around March of next year to launch a new radio service to compete with Pandora. Recent reports have revealed that Apple has been in talks with content providers to create a streaming radio service.

Munster believes that any new service would be accompanied by a new product launch. He believes the most likely product update for early 2013 could be an iPad mini with a high-resolution Retina display.

While the iPad mini just went on sale earlier this month, he believes Apple could quickly upgrade it to a high-resolution screen to "address the only significant complaint about the iPad mini."

Munster also sees Apple introducing an updated Apple TV set-top box around the same time. He believes the $99 streaming device could be updated to include a TV app store.

As for the third major product launch event in 2013, Munster believes Apple will introduce its next iPhone around September. He expects a so-called "iPhone 5S" that would be a "modest upgrade" from the current iPhone 5, with a faster processor, more RAM and a better camera.

Around that same time, he expects Apple would introduce a new full-size iPad that would feature a redesigned exterior more akin to the iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

Finally, Munster also expects Apple will preview the next versions of its Mac OS X and iOS operating systems at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. He believes iOS 7 will begin to show the influence of designer Jony Ive, who took over Apple's Human Interface team last month.

"We expect iOS 7 core new features to include additional wallet features for Passbook, commerce integration for Siri (Groupon/LivingSocial as an example), and Maps improvements," he said. "We expect MacBook Airs will get a Retina display option."

Piper Jaffray has reiterated its "overweight" rating for AAPL stock, with a price target of $900.
post #2 of 202
Wouldn't it be cool if Steve Jobs introduced the 'Apple TV'...via pre-recorded video from before his death.

That would be the ultimate, final, one-more-thing!
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
Reply
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
Reply
post #3 of 202

You know what? Whatever. They want to build things based on rumors and what people tell them they want, it's their funeral.

 

Hey, Apple is releasing an xMac, too.

Hey, Apple is building a car. 

Hey, Apple is making an iPhone nano.

 

Boom. There goes the company.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #4 of 202
Quote:
"We expect the beauty of the design to be a feature, but the most important feature will be the ability to use the TV as the main interface for the living room across multiple devices," Munster wrote. "We believe the TV will include Siri and FaceTime. The biggest item unlikely to come with the TV will be unbundled channels."

 

STOP IT! Stop making predictions on something you have NO idea what you're talking about. Users that visit rumor sites have more insight than you. You are guessing. And being paid for it. Where is my past analyst signature. Don't feed the analysts!!

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #5 of 202
I think just about anyone could predict these products, the real innovation will come in software.
post #6 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You know what? Whatever. They want to build things based on rumors and what people tell them they want, it's their funeral.

 

Hey, Apple is releasing an xMac, too.

Hey, Apple is building a car. 

Hey, Apple is making an iPhone nano.

 

Boom. There goes the company.

 

 

   700

post #7 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, Apple is building a car. 

 

 

Don't laugh, it wouldn't be the first time I heard rumors of a Tesla partnership. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #8 of 202

Hasn't this television been predicted each year for the past 5 years?

post #9 of 202

TV- Don't care, and unlikely.

New Apple TV Box in March- Awesome- I agree and will buy.

Apple Music Radio to compete with Pandora on ATV- Don't know, but would love it

App Store to Apple TV- I agree- with the launch of an A6 ATV- can't wait for this.

iPad Mini w/ Retina in Spring (I think more May/June)- I agree- and can't wait to buy.

iPad redesign next year- duh.  Of course it will look like the iPhone and mini.  The 9.7" iPad looks like a relic next to the amazing design of the 5/mini.

5S- of course.  The big selling feature would be something bigger with Passbook.  If they can pull that off it'll be a game changer

OSX 10.9/iOS7- Of course to iOS, but 10.9- not sure... I think 2014, but I'm all for it.

Retina MacBook Air- doubt it- but long for the day.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #10 of 202
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post
Don't laugh, it wouldn't be the first time I heard rumors of a Tesla partnership. 

 

Hey, I'd actually be fine with that.

 

Have Tesla build the car and Apple design and build the software, controls, and battery. Could cut the price in half for the same life or the same price for double the life.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #11 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

TV- Don't care, and unlikely.

New Apple TV Box in March- Awesome- I agree and will buy.

Apple Music Radio to compete with Pandora on ATV- Don't know, but would love it

App Store to Apple TV- I agree- with the launch of an A6 ATV- can't wait for this.

iPad Mini w/ Retina in Spring (I think more May/June)- I agree- and can't wait to buy.

iPad redesign next year- duh.  Of course it will look like the iPhone and mini.  The 9.7" iPad looks like a relic next to the amazing design of the 5/mini.

5S- of course.  The big selling feature would be something bigger with Passbook.  If they can pull that off it'll be a game changer

OSX 10.9/iOS7- Of course to iOS, but 10.9- not sure... I think 2014, but I'm all for it.

Retina MacBook Air- doubt it- but long for the day.

 

Agree on nearly every point.  My priorities would be Apple TV being opened to developers, Siri being open to developers, improved Passbook/iTunes pay/whatever, Retina Air and Retina iPad Mini.

post #12 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Hey, I'd actually be fine with that.

 

Have Tesla build the car and Apple design and build the software, controls, and battery. Could cut the price in half for the same life or the same price for double the life.

 

Ironically that's pretty much what I heard in 2 separate ways, never took it seriously though.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #13 of 202
$2000 for 40-55"? In what universe does he live in?
post #14 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Hasn't this television been predicted each year for the past 5 years?

Pretty sure they did a dates search and replace from a story ran near the holidays in 2011.
post #15 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

TV- Don't care, and unlikely.

New Apple TV Box in March- Awesome- I agree and will buy.

Apple Music Radio to compete with Pandora on ATV- Don't know, but would love it

App Store to Apple TV- I agree- with the launch of an A6 ATV- can't wait for this.

iPad Mini w/ Retina in Spring (I think more May/June)- I agree- and can't wait to buy.

iPad redesign next year- duh.  Of course it will look like the iPhone and mini.  The 9.7" iPad looks like a relic next to the amazing design of the 5/mini.

5S- of course.  The big selling feature would be something bigger with Passbook.  If they can pull that off it'll be a game changer

OSX 10.9/iOS7- Of course to iOS, but 10.9- not sure... I think 2014, but I'm all for it.

Retina MacBook Air- doubt it- but long for the day.

TV - I am in two minds here. I have said this before so pardon me - but Apple likes to enter a market with a splash and nothing would splash more than a fully fledged TV set. They wont do it unless they think they will sell shedloads but nothing will signal the Apple presence in the living room better than a full size TV. It will also be the talk of every TV show, blogger, news channel for quite a while. It would be a high stakes game because if it was too expensive or too restrictive the negative fall out would make the whole thing backfire horribly.

 

Apple will not bother if it is just a TV set. Ultimately television is all about services and there would be no point in a 'splash' unless there were game changing services to back up the device. 

 

Not saying it will happen but I can see it in my minds eye. 

 

The rest I agree with except I don't think the Airs will come with retina for a while. Retina is great an' all but the Airs are still phenomenal as they are. 

post #16 of 202
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
$2000 for 40-55"? In what universe does he live in?

 

Ours, since that's the price needed for Apple to have its margins.

 

It's also why I don't figure this is ever happening.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #17 of 202
The Macbook Pro with Retina display comes with flash storage and no optical drive. What's left to move towards an Air design?

You need power to properly run a Retina display on a laptop and as such an Air with Retina display would be precisely what the Pros with Retina have become.

Maybe in time the Pro with Retina models can shed some weight but that's all that can be done quite simply because that's all current technology will allow.
post #18 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ours, since that's the price needed for Apple to have its margins.

It's also why I don't figure this is ever happening.

A quality 55" plasma lists for ~$2500. I don't understand the thinking that if Apple joins this market they'll try to beat (or be close to anyone) on price.

Edit: added "don't"
post #19 of 202

My feeling is it will be a full-fledged TV...super thin, elegant, app store, etc. I think when stevo said he "cracked" TV, he was alluding to Siri. Instead of inelegant remote control with 87 buttons on it, it would be more like, "Siri, let's here the 'Newshour'" or, "Siri, play 'Prometheus.'"

 

I agree with the poster above. Apple wants to control the living room...and having a huge Apple TV, (read, Apple monolith) in your living room would be a lot more of a splash than a little black box.

 

Best.

post #20 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

TV - I am in two minds here. I have said this before so pardon me - but Apple likes to enter a market with a splash and nothing would splash more than a fully fledged TV set. They wont do it unless they think they will sell shedloads but nothing will signal the Apple presence in the living room better than a full size TV. It will also be the talk of every TV show, blogger, news channel for quite a while. It would be a high stakes game because if it was too expensive or too restrictive the negative fall out would make the whole thing backfire horribly.

Apple will not bother if it is just a TV set. Ultimately television is all about services and there would be no point in a 'splash' unless there were game changing services to back up the device. 

Not saying it will happen but I can see it in my minds eye. 

The rest I agree with except I don't think the Airs will come with retina for a while. Retina is great an' all but the Airs are still phenomenal as they are. 

Why have one TV with game changing services when it can be done cheaper and on multiple TVs?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

A quality 55" plasma lists for ~$2500. I don't understand the thinking that if Apple joins this market they'll try to beat (or be close to anyone) on price.
Edit: added "don't"

You can get it a lil cheaper than that, I just got a 50" Panasonic plasma that's at the bottom of high end for $1,500.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

 

Don't laugh, it wouldn't be the first time I heard rumors of a Tesla partnership. 

 

Don't bank on that one, just stumbled across this article:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29527-elon-musk-reckons-apple-is-doomed

post #23 of 202
This guys track record is horrific.

But iPad Mini with retina in the spring? A) Where will they source the panel? B) What resolution will it be that keeps up with Apple's desire to make Retina-zation straightforward for developers? C) A6X means a whole new motherboard - really? D) How will they fit enough battery and keep it as thin and light?

This is not thought through at all.

iPad may get a redesign, but saying it will look follow a three-year old design pattern that was created for a single-hand device like the phone is purelya guess - and a bad one. The curved edges of the tablets are there for comfort and to emphasize slimness. They may get a redesign, but one that has improved hand feel for reading and emphasizes slimness - and I bet it will still have curves, not a flat edge like the phones. And I'm happy to acknowledge that I'm guessing, but at least I have a theory.
post #24 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by giffnyc View Post

This guys track record is horrific.
But iPad Mini with retina in the spring? A) Where will they source the panel? B) What resolution will it be that keeps up with Apple's desire to make Retina-zation straightforward for developers? C) A6X means a whole new motherboard - really? D) How will they fit enough battery and keep it as thin and light?
This is not thought through at all.
iPad may get a redesign, but saying it will look follow a three-year old design pattern that was created for a single-hand device like the phone is purelya guess - and a bad one. The curved edges of the tablets are there for comfort and to emphasize slimness. They may get a redesign, but one that has improved hand feel for reading and emphasizes slimness - and I bet it will still have curves, not a flat edge like the phones. And I'm happy to acknowledge that I'm guessing, but at least I have a theory.

They would have to squeeze the resolution of the 3rd/4th gen iPad into the 7.9" screen of the mini. I don't see that happening in less than a year.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #25 of 202
Do not forget the new Mac Pro and Thunderbolt Display, together with wired USB 3 keyboard (hub) and mouse.
post #26 of 202

Two of his three "predictions" are absolute locks that no one in the industry would disagree with (that the iPad mini will be updated and that OS X will come out with a new version), so I'm not sure why this article bothers to follow his "three core product launches" strategy at all since it's obviously just a marketing ploy on his part.  These are like predicting the sunrise.  

 

The only thing new is his constant harping on the Apple Television product, which he provides no new information for, no new indications that it's going to be built, and simply moves his previous prediction of it's arrival in December 2012 for a new date of December 2013.  Far from an announcement of "three new core technologies," this is a lot closer to Gene Munster simply putting out a note that says: 

 

"Sorry, I was wrong about Apple television last year, please move prediction one year further ahead."

post #27 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Don't bank on that one, just stumbled across this article:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29527-elon-musk-reckons-apple-is-doomed

Elon Musk is a very smart guy, but he might not be a design-aware guy. The massive, sharp-edged rectangular screen on the dashboard of the Tesla Whatever—can't remember the model name—is a visual nightmare. As is the face of the car, absurdly aggressive.

He wouldn't understand that Apple has moved beyond a one man show based on Jobs, to a design factory based on a Jobs-Ive aesthetic.

And then there's the user-experience ethos vs. the geek ethos. I suspect Musk is a PC guy, but that may be going too far with this armchair analysis. I hope I'm wrong about that.
post #28 of 202
Gene Munster doesn't know what's going on in The Chocolate Factory... he's just playing pump-n-dump. These wild predictions are the "pump."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Ours, since that's the price needed for Apple to have its margins.

 

It's also why I don't figure this is ever happening.

 

*If they do this (I still haven't seen any real evidence they are), $2,000 for a 50" is pretty much where the high end of the market is now and Apple will of course be in the high end price wise.  I don't see them making anything smaller though.  Even last year you could get 42" TV's for below a thousand easily, the reason being not that they were poor quality, but because no one wants such a small screen anymore.  

 

I would guess they would jump in with a 50" and an 80" model only at $1,999 and $2,999.  That would give them the margins they need and place both products at or near the top of the size/quality tree.  

 

It's also worth noting that one of the top, if not the top player in the smart TV field is Samsung again, yet if you've ever used a Samsung "smart TV" you know that the product is confusing, expensive, has a bazillion wires, plugs and settings and a remote the size of your head.  It wouldn't be hard for Apple to absolutely dominate this field with a good product.  

post #30 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My feeling is it will be a full-fledged TV...super thin, elegant,
Exactly. So why does AI keep showing a big clunky Apple Display as e prototype for an Apple TV? Aren't there any clever mock ups by now, like those of the iPad mini? At least use the new iMac!

A look at any high end TV dealer and one will see, Apple won't have a lot of room to wow people with design alone. Samsung and Sony have some pretty slick ultra-thin giant screen panels that are the definition of minimalism and simplicity. Arguably, there's not much you can do with a TV. It's a flat rectangle that most people mount on their walls.

So design will be the least of it. In this case, Apple is competing solely with what's under the hood. And putting the exact same functionality in an ATV box is exactly what Apple won't do. Why buy the Cow when you can get the milk for much less?
Edited by Mac_128 - 11/20/12 at 8:21am
post #31 of 202
I'll say it first, Apple can't reinvent the TV. They do know about adding a CPU into a monitor to control everything, all embedded into one device. Hmm, sound familiar? I don't own a TV, but $2000 for an LED tv seems quite a hefty early adopter entrance fee, even for those who say "shut up and take my money!". Merging an appleTV in a TV isn't innovation either and with that price point, what could you possibly get? An embedded tunein app, large screen weather app, calendar app, fireplace app.. all worth .99c at the MAS.

And Gene, what are you smoking?
post #32 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Hasn't this television been predicted each year for the past 5 years?

Yep

And I still maintain that Apple isn't building a TV, starting a 'traditional' cable company etc

A larger, higher refresh Cinema Display with HDMI, a new set box and better offerings in the iTunes Store with perhaps a few more network apps on the STB is my call. And a new UI on that STB. The one we have now can't be what Steve meant about cracking the TV interface (which is what he said, not crack the TV)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #33 of 202

The three most needed core product launches:

 

1- New Mac Pro

2- New Mac Pro

3- New Mac Pro

post #34 of 202

Slightly related, I noticed Sears has a 50" LCD HDTV from LG on Black Friday for, get this: $299!! How low will decent to good quality 42"+ HDTV's  be by next year? How Apple would expect to grab any significant market share for a $2000 TV is questionable IMHO.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #35 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My feeling is it will be a full-fledged TV...super thin, elegant, app store, etc. I think when stevo said he "cracked" TV, he was alluding to Siri. Instead of inelegant remote control with 87 buttons on it, it would be more like, "Siri, let's here the 'Newshour'" or, "Siri, play 'Prometheus.'"

I agree with the poster above. Apple wants to control the living room...and having a huge Apple TV, (read, Apple monolith) in your living room would be a lot more of a splash than a little black box.

Best.

And super thin and elegant TVs don't exist now? Why just the living room? Why not the bedroom? Most people already own multiple TVs. A Apple TV with a app store could be on every TV in the house not just the living room.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #36 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep
And I still maintain that Apple isn't building a TV, starting a 'traditional' cable company etc
A larger, higher refresh Cinema Display with HDMI, a new set box and better offerings in the iTunes Store with perhaps a few more network apps on the STB is my call. And a new UI on that STB. The one we have now can't be what Steve meant about cracking the TV interface (which is what he said, not crack the TV)

There's already a network app called Hulu. Why would I pay $.99 a show when for $7.99 a month I can watch shows from ABC/NBC/Fox and a multitude of other networks?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #37 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But before a television set, Munster expects Apple to hold an event around March of next year to launch a new radio service to compete with Pandora. Recent reports have revealed that Apple has been in talks with content providers to create a streaming radio service.
 

A radio station? Why? Will that make money? Sounds like another Ping or iAd success story in the making.. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #38 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


There's already a network app called Hulu.

 

Not nearly enough.  I'd love to see HBO GO on there, as well as umpteen others that haven't been developed yet because ATV hasn't been opened to developers.

post #39 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A radio station? Why? Will that make money? Sounds like another Ping or iAd success story in the making.. 

 

I see this less about making money and more about maintaining presence.  No doubt Pandora and Spotify (especially the latter) have eaten into SOME iTunes sales.  I know I've bought less since I started using Spotify

post #40 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Not nearly enough.  I'd love to see HBO GO on there, as well as umpteen others that haven't been developed yet because ATV hasn't been opened to developers.

That I did not know. No wonder why Roku does so well.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple television predicted to headline three core product launches in 2013