or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple on pace to sell 4.8M Macs in holiday quarter, down 7% year over year

Apple on pace to sell 4.8M Macs in holiday quarter, down 7% year over year - Page 3

post #81 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Can't. If Apple wants to maintain quality, margins, and continue to dominate in PC consumer satisfaction (for many years now), they need to forego market share in favour of simply being the best, but with barriers to consumer entry that are naturally occurring with the necessary increase in price. 

I really don't think Apple minds that situation.

Where the Mac can't go in retail, however, the iPad will. 

It's a win-win for Apple. 

It is a false impression that Apple dominates in PC consumer satisfaction. The reason is that Apple refuses to offer computers for the masses. All other manufacturers are totally capable of offering the same high-quality PC/laptops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

People associate Apple with quality, not cheap crap.

This is the reason why the Androids are now dominating over the IOS ecosystem, the same way Microsoft is dominating in the PC market.

As a result Apple is losing market share in the both the PC/tablet and the smartphone market segments.

post #82 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Is it really? I don't know...

My hard drive died last weekend so I replaced it with a Seagate hybrid. Beyond an improvement in boot time -- not what I'd call dramatic, but clearly apparent -- I haven't really noticed any difference. I wonder if use patterns affect the degree of improvement one realizes?

A Seagate hybrid drive is not the same thing as Fusion. I am also not terribly impressed with the hybrid drive, but Fusion operates quite differently. Only time will tell whether it's as good as claimed.
Quote:

If Mac sales actually are down at the end of the quarter, will anyone THEN be willing to consider the possibility that maybe the current direction of hardware development is less appealing to buyers? I don't begrudge Jony the right to jerk off however he wants, but I just wish he would also consider MY needs.

Why should he consider your needs? How many thousands of computers do you plan to buy?

Apple does an exceptional job of serving the needs of people in their target audience.
Quote:

8. Having to choose between inadequate storage and RAM or paying absolutely EGREGIOUS upgrade prices. $2/GB for storage?! That's insulting.

Here's a clue - upgrade prices are expensive from all vendors. And Apple's upgrade prices are not insulting compared to what everyone else charges for the same item. They are sometimes on the high side, but not ridiculously so. Ten years ago, your complaint had some validity. It no longer does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

The entry level storage size does seem like a bait-and-switch, but maybe there are people that don't really need any storage.

Maybe you should learn what 'bait and switch' entails. Apple offers a wide range of machines to hit different price points. They will certainly sell you the cheapest machine if you want it, but they obviously hope you'll buy a higher level machine. That's not bait and switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Apple has Zero New iMacs available as I write this. Only refurbs if you want a DVD drive and a discount.

I am a bit puzzled that you can't even Pre-order the 21.5". Is the (screen) "welding" problem worse than my beloved Apple is letting on?

Yes, that's surprising - and very unusual for Apple. I'd be really curious why they didn't continue to offer the older model while the new one was being prepared. Sure, sales would have dropped off, but there would still be an iMac available to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

They will still make more money from macs than all other OEMs (together) from PCs.

It's about choice. I seriously hope they axe the regular 13 and 15, so they can focus on retinas and airs, imacs (why not a smaller one, like 19?), mac pro (updated like it should). That's it.

They should also stop all iPods bar the touch.

All Apple software (besides trully pro apps) should be free (OS, iwork, ilife and they should make one game)

axe 16gb iphones (use 128gb models), maybe another iPhone model (bigger).

That's it. They are making too many devices... who cares about markets share. The mac is proof that marketshare does not matter that much in order to provide the best experience and earn the most money.

I'm still waiting for the part where you show us your experience that makes your opinion so valid. After all, you must know more about the design, manufacture, and marketing of computers than Apple does in order to make such claims, right?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #83 of 118
Well, pity, because the iMac would have been awesome. If it came out in time (aka as scheduled). I love ya Tim Cook, but I gotta wonder what's going on. All the best, but, I don't know, I'm a little scared about this kind of stuff happening now to Apple.
post #84 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm still waiting for the part where you show us your experience that makes your opinion so valid. After all, you must know more about the design, manufacture, and marketing of computers than Apple does in order to make such claims, right?

Calm down.

it's clearly that Apple is growing to quickly and doing too much (look at recent "mistakes", like screatches on iphones, icloud problems, bugs on both OSes, etc.)

they should stop doing what isn't important to their ecosystem so they can focus on it.

post #85 of 118
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Given a major refresh of the Mac product line-up, why are sales expected to be down?!

They're STILL not selling a product called 'iMac'. I find it bothersome at best.

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post
They need to reduce prices and produce models for the general public at all price points so that their market share can be increased.

Steve Ballmer, get back to work. Maybe you can see why this idea is so stupid after yet another product failure. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post
…the iMac not yet - almost a two month wait so far.

Hasn't even been a single month.

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post
The drop in Apples stock may have made their products seem less attractive.

No one cares about that.

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
The reason the mini is so expensive is because they choose to basically make it from laptop parts which are more expensive.

N~o… It's expensive because of the engineering, and fitting any computer of any size into that sort of box.

Apple is obsessed with thin and light even for their desktop line where it really is not very important since you probably never move it ever.

What does moving it have to do with making it thin and light?

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
If anything the Mini represents a significant piece of crap if you consider what you get for the price ( this in comparison to other Apple hardware).

The Mac Mini is a MacBook Pro without the screen. Are you suggesting that the screen in the MacBook Pro costs twice as much as the rest of its hardware combined?

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

You realize that's physically impossible, right? Heat.

…a Seagate hybrid.

That's not at ALL what Fusion Drive is.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #86 of 118
Apple needs to be downgraded as quickly as possible. Down 7% YOY is a freaking disaster for Apple. Even if they made it up in iPads, it's still no good. Apple is definitely slipping away from dominance. I'm sure Dell will sell tens of millions of computers. Probably even H-P will, too. If Munster says Apple should sell a certain amount of product and fails to do so, then that's the end for Apple.
post #87 of 118
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
Apple needs to be downgraded as quickly as possible. Down 7% YOY is a freaking disaster for Apple. Even if they made it up in iPads, it's still no good. Apple is definitely slipping away from dominance. I'm sure Dell will sell tens of millions of computers. Probably even H-P will, too. If Munster says Apple should sell a certain amount of product and fails to do so, then that's the end for Apple.

Still need an /s on the end of these. lol.gif

post #88 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Calm down.

it's clearly that Apple is growing to quickly and doing too much (look at recent "mistakes", like screatches on iphones, icloud problems, bugs on both OSes, etc.)
they should stop doing what isn't important to their ecosystem so they can focus on it.

I'm still waiting for the evidence that you know how to run the company better than Apple does.

Are they perfect? Of course not. But they're the best out there - so you must have some pretty impressive credentials since you know more about running a multibillion dollar electronics company than Apple. So where are they?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #89 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

They need to reduce prices and produce models for the general public at all price points so that their market share can be increased.

Sorry, that's not the Apple style.  Keep up the price and screw with the market share.  The loyal ones will buy.

post #90 of 118
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
The loyal ones will buy.

What's the implication here?

post #91 of 118

I'm holding out to see if next year Apple finally comes out with a Mac that meets my needs. The mini and the iMac don't yet the Mac Pro is overkill. I fully expect to be once again disappointed though. I will use my old Mac until it just won't cut it anymore (getting close to that) and have to leave Apple after 20 years in order to get the type of computer hardware I want.

The bummer is having to do without the OS I prefer. I'm not ready to risk a HackIntosh.

post #92 of 118
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post
I will use my old Mac until it just won't cut it anymore…

What's this? Someone using their computer until it doesn't do what they want it to do? NO. YOU DON'T EXIST. 😒

…have to leave Apple after 20 years in order to get the type of computer hardware I want.

This is insane, though. I mean, really.

post #93 of 118
Quote:

I'm holding out to see if next year Apple finally comes out with a Mac that meets my needs. The mini and the iMac don't yet the Mac Pro is overkill. I fully expect to be once again disappointed though. I will use my old Mac until it just won't cut it anymore (getting close to that) and have to leave Apple after 20 years in order to get the type of computer hardware I want.
The bummer is having to do without the OS I prefer. I'm not ready to risk a HackIntosh.

This is silly. Between the Mini, the iMac, the Pro, and all the laptops, Apple offers a nice range.

So what are your super-special needs that Apple doesn't meet?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #94 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

the comparison is made on a guess of this year and last year's whole numbers.  and it's an Estimate based on an Estimate (It's not even Gene's numbers, but his interpretations of NPD's numbers).

It's not a real decline until apple posts numbers.

What sort of bizarre logic is apple stock price have to do with consumer purchase?   I've heard that in the past by the corporate sales Microsoft/IBM FUDdie duddies  ('Don't buy that, they'll be out of business next year'), but really?

The reasons for not a buying a mac now are pretty obvious.

We are still in a consumer recession.   if there are 12Million people out of work... they sure as sh*t aren't buying a new $1000 device.  They may buy a phone, but a $1000 mac?  hardly.  Remember, we're 4 years into it now... Mac sales have grown in real numbers through out this mess, and just now are starting to taper off, probably because most people are 'making do' (My last Mac purchase was 2.5 years ago, and I'm in Tech... See next).

True. Recession is hurting all computer sales, in general (though I believe some OEMs have reported growth compared to previous year, like Asus)... so I'd expect Macs to be hurt, to some degree at least. In fact, it seems logical to me that some people will lower their standards and opt to buy cheaper computer that will serve them good enough, in this economy.
Quote:
The negative impact of Quality:  Mac Products last longer than 3 years.  My Macbooks are 3 and 4 years old.  My Son in grad school is running on a 2003 G4 Titanium Powerbook (granted we cobbled it together with another when one motherboard died and the other's screen died in 2008).  My other son in med school replaced a 2005 MacBookPro. with a new MBA in August.

I'd expect that this hasn't changed much in the last few years - Macs reliability - so that shouldn't start making difference now. I would expect, however, that hardware has reached level where everyday usage doesn't benefit from newer and faster. Last year, I gave my Core 2 Duo laptop from 2008 to my brother, and he is apsolutely happy with it. He is emailin, browsing, FBing, organizing his photos, other usual staff - YouTube, DivX watching... since that is where his interest in computers ends, I can see him using that machine for as long as it works. Add that to poor economy, and it might be IT.
Quote:
Win8 and Surface Release:  I think a lot of potential MBA buyers held off until the new crop of Microsoft stuff came to market.  Give them 6 months;-), and 25% will be craigslist fodder and they'll buy a MBA or an iPad.

I'd be surprised. If anything, release of iPad 4 should defer people from buying Air, not release of Surface. I don't think that too many - if any - Mac users would switch to Windows tablet, especially first gen unknown entity like Surface. If Surface and other W8 tablets are hurting computer sales, that would be Windows ultrabook and laptop sales predominantly.
Quote:
Self Competition: I wouldn't be surprised if the new iPad and Mini cannibalizes the MBA/iMac. How many people NEED a brand new desktop mac?  your old mac works just fine when you are wandering through the house with absolutely beautiful iPad 4 or light as a feather iPadMini connected via icloud.

(my iPad does a better job with mp4s than my mac, and it's brutally easy to AirPlay them to my TVs... I've got one long HDMI cable for sale because of this).

Now we are talking... but there also might be some unforeseen reasons. I came across this by accident - a friend of mine, who is BMW enthusiast (being German from Bavaria) and Mac user, likes to repost BMW NZ FB posts. Following is one of them, and I don't have any clue how legit it is; I would likely doubt it if released by Apple competitors, but I cannot see a reason why BMW would do something like that.

Quote: Global RepTrack 2012 surveyed 47,000 people from 15 countries, including North America and Europe, ranking the reputation of the top 100 global companies. The Reputation Institute determined BMW as the world’s Most Reputable Company. Brand recognition and awareness are two of the most powerful attributes that identify a successful company – what other qualities make BMW world leading in your eyes?

Of course, this is BMW marketing... but if this is legit, Apple reputation slipped from 2nd to 5th spot in a year time. Google did even worst, going from 1st to 6th... but MS appeared from nowhere (below top ten in 2011, obviously) to 7th.

Is this possible? I believe so. This is 1st post-Jobs year for Apple, after all. Regardless of how useful Jobs was for Apple in the last decade, situation with company being associated with CEO on such level must cause some issues in public eye once CEO is not around any more... and Apple management did pull some moves which, if you are not one of Apple's faithful, can shake your trust in the company. In short, Apple is sailing through storm caused by Jobs death (even if that storm is only perceived in the eye of public), and there is not much to do but to endure through and rebuild company's post-Jobs image as good as possible.
post #95 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

And which 'goodwill' product, of the hundreds of hardware/software combinations that Mac users ask for, should they pick? Your particular favourite? Someone else's?

I have a few suggestions:

1. Once a year at Thanksgiving the President of the United States chooses one product and grants it amnesty. Unfortunately this means the Turkey has to go.

2. At passover the Roman Governor lets the people choose one product to be spared from execution. Of course, sometimes innocent devices like the 17" MacBook Pro or iWeb will be crucified anyway, but then they go and sit on the right hand of Jobs.

3. Any product accused of not justifying its existence must be tried by a jury of its users before it can be discontinued. If the jury finds the product guilty it is discontinued. If they find it not guilty, production continues. No product may be tried more than once for the same quarterly sales figures.

4. Apple sells tickets for an annual lottery. The holder of the winning ticket gets to tell Jony what they want him to build.

5. War games. Parties interested in preserving a product field an army and go to war for it. Apple may choose to mobilize its own forces to defeat it. Several factions may all do battle at the same time, each for its own product. The winning army gets to keep its product. Coalitions will not be permitted as they may result in things like computers that are so thin they can't dissipate the heat of full speed drives and... um... oh.

post #96 of 118
Quote:

Why should he consider your needs? How many thousands of computers do you plan to buy?

Point taken, but I don't think I'm alone. Take the example of the 17" MacBook Pro. There's no question that I see way more 15" machines in the field than any other size, but ALL of the people I know personally who use a portable computer for creating visual content chose a 17. It wasn't discontinued because it wasn't profitable, it just wasn't profitable ENOUGH.

In a corporate culture driven solely by stock price, even good products are sacrificed for ones that generate greater growth. I think that's a little sad, and part of me naively hopes that the company built on the "Think Different" slogan might be willing to buck Wall Street a little to support the creative community, in much the same way I sometimes take less money to work on projects I like or with people I want to support.

post #97 of 118
Quote:

Here's a clue - 

Is that supposed to suggest I don't have one, or am I reading more into that than you intended? I hardly think my comment was over the top or even inaccurate, so if that's an insult I take exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple's upgrade prices are not insulting compared to what everyone else charges for the same item. They are sometimes on the high side, but not ridiculously so. Ten years ago, your complaint had some validity. It no longer does.

I strongly disagree. Apple's prices to upgrade storage and/or RAM in a Retina MacBook Pro are DOUBLE the going rate from ANY third-party supplier.

In the case of RAM, we have no alternative so Apple is bending us over. I can't upgrade the RAM myself so I have no choice but to pay Apple's rip-off price, which is about twice what equivalent sticks cost from Crucial or OWC.

As for storage, if I want more than 256GB it costs me at least $500 no matter what:

Choice 1: Pay Apple $500 for an upgrade, even though that's twice as much per GB as the OWC module.

Choice 2: Buy the OWC for $500 and use the supplied storage as a window ornament. There's literally ZERO resale market because there's only one model of computer in the entire world that can use it, and anyone who has that computer already has that storage module.

Perhaps you are more tolerant than am I, but to me that's a slap in the face.

post #98 of 118
…but ALL of the people I know personally who use a portable computer for creating visual content chose a 17.

Now they can choose a 15" and a 27" display. Two of them, if they want.

In a corporate culture driven solely by stock price…

Ah, see, Apple isn't. So there goes your entire argument.

post #99 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Now they can choose a 15" and a 27" display. Two of them, if they want.

Ooo... that would be cool! I just need a bigger backpack. Way, way, WAY bigger. And a back brace. Hm, and maybe a little cart to haul around the generator, or do those 27" displays have batteries now?

post #100 of 118
Quote:

Ah, see, Apple isn't. So there goes your entire argument.

Of course it is.

My argument stands on its own anyway. It is not dependent on the first condition being true to be true itself.

post #101 of 118
Of course it is.

Except it isn't. We can do this all day. They've specifically stated that's not what they're about.

post #102 of 118
Quote:

Except it isn't. We can do this all day.

I know. Isn't it annoying when the other party simply makes a contrary statement without any support for their position? Nudge nudge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They've specifically stated that's not what they're about.

When? Where? Who? How? Virtually every word of every conference call contradicts that. Apple's own remarks on the discontinuation of the 17" were that it just wasn't selling well enough (though I don't think they ever did issue an "official" statement -- it just quietly disappeared). Can you show me a quote or even give me an example of Apple's altruism towards users that did not benefit shareholders?

post #103 of 118
When?

Spitballing here; 1996, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2011… More times.

Where?

Variety of locations, given the times.

Who?

Steve Jobs, et. al.

How?

Orally and written.

Virtually every word of every conference call contradicts that.

HOLY CRAP, THE SHAREHOLDER CONFERENCE CALLS, DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR SHAREHOLDERS, TALK ABOUT SHAREHOLDER STUFF.

😩やれやれ。。。

Can you show me a quote or even give me an example of Apple's altruism towards users that did not benefit shareholders?

Plenty of quotes out there, and Steve stated outright (maybe it was only on one occasion, maybe he repeated himself; can't remember) that he didn't care about the stock price. So I guess as a CEO, he's terrible in your eyes. There's also good one from 1993 that simply hints at it, and he's not even at Apple then. 

It was the foundation of how he worked. He didn't do it for the shareholders, period. He did it for the products and what they were. You can't really disagree with that. That they made money on every unit of every item they sold is just common (business) sense. Anything else from any other company should be considered unacceptable from shareholders, since that's apparently all they care about, too.

You'll notice Steve's dead. That's fine. He wasn't the only person on the planet—much less at the company—who cared more about the products than the stock price. Not to say that can't change, just that the tree will have to be uprooted rather than the seed planted, you see.

post #104 of 118
Quote:

[...] You'll notice Steve's dead. That's fine. He wasn't the only person on the planet—much less at the company—who cared more about the products than the stock price. Not to say that can't change, just that the tree will have to be uprooted rather than the seed planted, you see.

The answer to the question of whether or not financial success is a driving force at Apple seems to vary according to who you ask. On one hand you have Jony stating unequivocally that it is not:

“Our goal at Apple is absolutely not to make money,” he said in July. “Our goal, and what makes us excited, is to make great products.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/new-establishment/2012/01-tim-cook-jonathan-ive

But then you get the "cagey" answer from Tim Cook:

“I just want to build great products,” Cook says. “I think if we do that, then the other things follow.” Companies can get lost, he says, focusing on revenue, profit or stock price. “You have to focus on the things that lead to those,” he says.

http://allthingsd.com/20120529/live-apple-ceo-tim-cooks-first-time-in-the-hot-seat-at-d/

On the surface that sounds like he's saying products matter more than money, but what he actually said was that you have to focus not on the money but on doing the things that lead to money. He recognizes that great products are a key ingredient to success, but as a means to an end, which is, obviously, to make money,

There's obviously nothing wrong with that and I have no issue with it. I'm simply saying that sometimes that means products get axed not because they're no good, but because they don't make enough money. The quote above tends to support that position. If the point of making great products is to make money, then products that don't make enough money are replaced with ones that do.

Finally, what Apple execs say and what they do isn't always completely consistent either. That's not necessarily a failure or fault, it just means that statements made to the media are a form of advertising and may not always accurately portray the realities of how the business has to be run when the lights are off and the cameras are gone. Others are also noticing a shift in how decisions are made at Apple:

"Now that Steve is gone, the voice that constantly pushed people to do the impossible is being replaced by voices that say, 'This works well for our business'"

None of this makes Apple evil, of course. They're not doing anything wrong. They're doing what any company that wants to make money SHOULD be doing. Which brings us back to my original point: decisions ARE made on the basis of what's profitable, not what makes users feel warm and fuzzy. Often the two overlap, and Apple's strategy is to make users feel warm and fuzzy in order to sell their products, but when a product line is only making $X and something else can make $X+, making users feel warm and fuzzy isn't enough to save it. All I said was that I *wish* reality was different so that I, and others like me, could still buy 17" MacBook Pros.

post #105 of 118
On the surface that sounds like he's saying products matter more than money, but what he actually said was that you have to focus not on the money but on doing the things that lead to money.

That's not at all what he's saying. He's saying that by making the best products, they won't have to worry about making the money. The products will inherently bring the money thereafter.

Look at it like an entrepreneuring restauranteur. He has an idea for a new kind of restaurant, but he's worried about the money it would take to build and run it, so he doesn't do it. Tim's saying that he shouldn't be worried. If the idea is truly good, by its very nature it will bring in the required money, since people will be stumbling over themselves for this new eating experience. Just like buying new Apple products.

Steve has said—almost word for word—what Cook did. Which makes sense, given.

post #106 of 118
Tallest is nailing it, at least for me.
post #107 of 118
Quote:

"Now that Steve is gone, the voice that constantly pushed people to do the impossible is being replaced by voices that say, 'This works well for our business'"
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/2d45243a-0988-11e2-a424-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2D47YAp8c

That is absolutely the best quote that I have heard that describes the post-Steve Apple. Not that it is doomed, but it's not business as usual. Or, actually, it is, now, business as usual.
post #108 of 118

Duh? PC sales are down, imagine what the competition numbers are

post #109 of 118
I think more and more users are looking to Macbooks, iPads and iPhones for their Apple fix. Mobile has taken off on all fronts, and desktops are slowing for everyone, not just Apple.
post #110 of 118
Quote:

This is silly. Between the Mini, the iMac, the Pro, and all the laptops, Apple offers a nice range.
So what are your super-special needs that Apple doesn't meet?

Point me to the mid range mid sized desktop Mac that offers me the choice of some internal expansion and the choice of monitor. Only the Mac Pro does that but it certainly isn't mid range or mid sized.

I might consider the mini but it will mean purchasing an external case to hold the additional devices I need. Which is really retarded when discussing a desktop computer. It would be like buying a small car and using a utility trailer hooked up to it each and every day in order to carry what you use all the time. Why not just buy a mid sized car to begin with that has the room you need each and every day?

I would jump all over a headless iMac. Put it in a case that is easy to open, has room for two hard drives and an optical drive (yes I really do use it) and let me choose my monitor. I would pay $1500 for that kind of Mac. Apple would make money because they would be saving them the cost of the built in monitor I do not want.

I have no need for a laptop and would never purchase one. I will admit that an iPad appears attractive but I need the desktop Mac first.

So many people believe that Apple offers a solution for everyone only because their own needs are met. There are many more that are either settling for a Mac model that is close but not really what they want, waiting, or switching.

I could buy an iMac and hate it, buy a mini and not be totally satisfied with it or chunk out big bucks for a Mac Pro and be pissed that I had to do it just because Apple refuses to offer a mid range product. I will wait to see what happens in 2013.

People will think me anal about all this but tough. I refuse to spend money on something that isn't what I need or want. Same way I'm holding out on buying any of Apple's iDevices. I don't really need them so why should I support Apple with purchases that mean nothing to me while I can't get the one product I really want and would really use? I came to Apple for computer use not music or phone calls.

I'm forced to use a windows machine at work and it isn't totally a bad experience but my heart is with Apple. Apple has the heart (OSX), the soul (good looking design) it just needs the right body (mid sized) to go with it.

I know it is out of my hands. Apple will do what it wants. I am just waiting to see if Apple still wants me as a customer. It might not.

post #111 of 118

I know it is out of my hands. Apple will do what it wants. I am just waiting to see if Apple still wants me as a customer. It might not.

Just go buy a PC already.

post #112 of 118
Quote:

The quad mac pro is basically Apple's offering in terms of a mid tower desktop. It's probably not that expensive to make either. Some of the minis have a higher cpu cost, and the 5770 was never a terribly expensive card. I felt its pricing was largely to space it from the imac and pace it with the rest of the mac pro line, but there really isn't a great deal of spec difference (or component teardown cost) between that one and a mid range desktop. Obviously the heavy aluminum case costs something in materials, but we're talking about maybe an extra $15 (or less) in aluminum. The stuff is cheap, and machining cases is arguably a more costly process.

post #113 of 118

I'm waiting for the comment of...well if Steve were alive this would have never happened! /sarcasm

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #114 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm waiting for the comment of...well if Steve were alive this would have never happened! /sarcasm

Add that to the WIP: Troll thread if you haven't yet. 1smile.gif

When calendar Q4 2012 is reported next year the markets are going to slam Apple bad because no iMacs until December, again, only the iMac 21". Might be a good chance then to get in again under $600.
post #115 of 118
Quote:

Even though I prefer OSX? I love the hardware, I love the software. I just don't like how it is packaged to where usability of something as basic as a desktop has been constrained.

post #116 of 118
Quote:

Even though I prefer OSX? I love the hardware, I love the software. I just don't like how it is packaged to where usability of something as basic as a desktop has been constrained.

Interestingly the newest imacs appear to have easier access, as the display comes off as a single piece. If this is by design, it was likely to facilitate repairs. I've read complaints about smudges or dust under the screen on repaired units. If the changes eliminate that as a point of concern, it does make them easier for Apple or their contractor to service.

post #117 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Interestingly the newest imacs appear to have easier access, as the display comes off as a single piece. If this is by design, it was likely to facilitate repairs. I've read complaints about smudges or dust under the screen on repaired units. If the changes eliminate that as a point of concern, it does make them easier for Apple or their contractor to service.

I'm surprised iFixit doesn't have a teardown of the 21.5" model yet.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #118 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

One report said it's held on with double sided tape, so I don't know if it's an improvement in repairability or not. The previous iMac cover screen was held on by magnets, which I found to be trivial to peel off. I don't know about the tape.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple on pace to sell 4.8M Macs in holiday quarter, down 7% year over year