or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Skip the wait for an iPad mini, full lineup now shipping from Apple authorized resellers

Skip the wait for an iPad mini, full lineup now shipping from Apple authorized resellers

post #1 of 39
Shoppers still in the market for an iPad mini WiFi or iPad mini WiFi + Cellular can skip the two week wait from Apple's online store when ordering from the company's partner retailers, one of which says it's ready to ship all iPad mini configurations to customers this week.

iPad mini

iPad mini

Our iPad Price Guide shows three Apple Authorized Resellers with stock of various iPad mini models. And while, Target and Wal-Mart each have a select few, MacMall tells us they have almost every model in stock and ready to ship (see chart above), with the exception of the 16GB WiFi models which will begin shipping to customers sometime during the week. The reseller isn't carrying the Sprint versions of the tablet, however. Customers looking for immediate shipments of Sprint iPad minis can turn to Target, which currently has every Sprint model in stock except the White 16GB model.

We'll be providing updates on iPad mini availability on our Backpage (RSS) throughout the holiday shopping season, or until supply catches up with demand.

Meanwhile, MacMall also continues to discount the new iPad with Retina display by up to $35, while also offering AppleInsider readers the lowest prices on most of Apple's MacBook family when you activate the coupon field on its product pages by using the links in our Mac Price Guide (also below), pasting in coupon code APPINSDRMWB35722, and clicking "Apply."
post #2 of 39
Or just go to an Apple Store. Most of them have plenty in stock.

Aside from that, this total SPAM ad for someone that cuts you into the profit they get is just tacky.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #3 of 39
Everyone on my Xmas list is getting an apple device. No more troubleshooting my mom's blackberry!
post #4 of 39
This will be the last time I pre-order from Apple. My LTE Mini is still listed as shipping "late November". I pre-ordered in the first 20 minutes too. irked.gif
post #5 of 39

I got my pre-ordered LTE Retina iPad last Thursday. 

After comparing with my iPad mini, I decided to return the Retina and get another LTE mini instead. With a dataplan, the mini's (much) lighter weight and lower screen resolution (lower bandwidth consumption) is more useful than a Retina display. It's the same reason I bought a MacBook Air instead of a MacBook Retina.

post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Aside from that, this total SPAM ad for someone that cuts you into the profit they get is just tacky.

Get used to it. They play that game a lot around here.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

This will be the last time I pre-order from Apple. My LTE Mini is still listed as shipping "late November". I pre-ordered in the first 20 minutes too. irked.gif

Never pre-order. It has been proven time and again (for me) that simply going to the Apple Stores will get you whatever you want much quicker.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Never pre-order. It has been proven time and again (for me) that simply going to the Apple Stores will get you whatever you want much quicker.

All my pre-orders arrived on-time or before the units went on sale in Apple Store.

post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

With a dataplan, the mini's (much) lighter weight and lower screen resolution (lower bandwidth consumption) is more useful than a Retina display. It's the same reason I bought a MacBook Air instead of a MacBook Retina.

Youn are wrong on so many levels.. Don't even know where to start...
post #10 of 39
or, more accurately,

Macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall iPad mini WiFi macmall iPad mini WiFi + Cellular macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall Apple's macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall's macmall macmall, macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall iPad mini macmall macmall macmall macmall macmall .

edit: macmall
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #11 of 39
Quote:

Exactly.  This place is turning into another CultofMac lately with all the "deals" and coupons and other shite.  

post #12 of 39
Quote:

All my pre-orders arrived on-time or before the units went on sale in Apple Store.

I guess "your mileage may vary" is the key phrase here... I've always found the opposite to be true.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think what you really mean here is, "I disagree."  

If you can't bother to put up an argument as to why this opinion isn't actually valid, then just don't say anything at all.  

post #14 of 39
Quote:

With a dataplan, the mini's (much) lighter weight and lower screen resolution (lower bandwidth consumption) is more useful than a Retina display. It's the same reason I bought a MacBook Air instead of a MacBook Retina.

Just for the record, screen resolution and weight have no correlation to data usage.
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Exactly.  This place is turning into another CultofMac lately with all the "deals" and coupons and other shite.  

I have no problem with the site owners wanting to make a living and make sure everyone gets paid... just stop trying to disguise compensated advertising as a "story" or "news".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 39
Quote:

This depends almost completely on where you live but overall I think you are wrong on this one.  

I always pre-order and nine times out of ten I get it the same day as anyone going the retail route.  

Also, I don't have to stand in line like a loser at 5:30 in the morning waiting for the store to open.  

post #17 of 39
Quote:

I have no problem with the site owners wanting to make a living and make sure everyone gets paid... just stop trying to disguise compensated advertising as a "story" or "news".

I would agree for the most part.  

If you want to see this sort of thing done to a really shameful extreme, CultofMac does the exact thing you are talking about, and they do it all day every day for multiple "articles."  

Most of their "reviews" are basically about some piece of swag that they asked a company for simply because they want it, and then they post a glowing "review" that's like a picture and fifteen words.  

post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Quote:

Just for the record, screen resolution and weight have no correlation to data usage.

Actually, the screen resolution can add to greater data usage because many sites are sending higher resolution images when they detect the screen size that the browser sends.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

This depends almost completely on where you live but overall I think you are wrong on this one.  

I always pre-order and nine times out of ten I get it the same day as anyone going the retail route.  

Also, I don't have to stand in line like a loser at 5:30 in the morning waiting for the store to open.  

I always pre-order also and have never missed a delivery date yet. It also depends what your schedule is like. I get mine delivered to my office but not everyone can do that and FedEx isn't going to leave it on a door step if no one is home to sign for it.

But for Samsung products they will..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZN28PNPP7A

Edited by mstone - 11/25/12 at 1:13pm

post #20 of 39

Got Leopard at 9 in the morning on launch day. Going to an Apple Store, I would have had to wait until 7 PM when it was officially released.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Got Leopard at 9 in the morning on launch day. Going to an Apple Store, I would have had to wait until 7 PM when it was officially released.

As I say... "your mileage may vary". ;)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I always pre-order also and have never missed a delivery date yet. It also depends what your schedule is like. I get mine delivered to my office but not everyone can do that and FedEx isn't going to leave it on a door step if no one is home to sign for it.

But for Samsung products they will..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZN28PNPP7A

Which is something I appreciate, because Apple's new "signature required for EVERYTHING" policy is ridiculous. A computer or iPhone I understand, but a lightning cord? Missed the guy three times and eventually had to go to the hub after work and pick it up, which took an hour thanks to some snafu on their end. Someone on another site clued me in to the option of pre-signing, which Apple doesn't advertise very well, so in the future it shouldn't be a problem, but man was I steamed.
post #23 of 39

If you can stand MacMall.   I can't stand that place.  WAY too much upsell and it's a PAIN to purchase from them.  They typically have good prices but I am at a point in my life where I don't need the giant hassle when purchasing.

post #24 of 39

I've never had any problems with online orders either when product ship dates were firm.

With the LTE model of the iPad Mini they didnt offer an exact date for the launch so that made it

a bit tricky. However, I did order it online for in-store pickup and it was available the next day

which was very cool. And I simply love this little device. Can't wait until they release an updated

model with the retina display, hopefully in the Spring. I'll likely keep my regular iPad (3) as well.

post #25 of 39
Quote:

Quote:

Please elaborate.  I thought I understood what patsu was saying but now I wonder if I have missed something really obvious.  I'm not being contentious, just want to understand another point of view.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #26 of 39
Quote:

If you are going to call someone out, why not elaborate instead of coming across as a bully? I actually think that patsu is correct here:

From an old AI article:

Quote:
AppleInsider reader "dglow" noticed recently that Apple has quietly begun adding double-resolution images to its website tailored to HiDPI screens and the new Retina Display found on the third-generation iPad.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/13/applecom_upgrading_to_high_resolution_images_ahead_of_retina_ipad_launch.html

And here's an article on how to serve high resolution images to Retina displays:

http://benfrain.com/how-to-serve-high-resolution-website-images-for-retina-displays-new-ipadiphone4/

So patsu is correct in stating that a Retina-equipped iPad would use more LTE bandwidth than an iPad mini if going to a site that has been optimized for Retina displays. And he obviously wasn't equating the device's weight to anything related to the screen; just that there's a significant difference in weight between the mini and the Retina iPads.

post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Just for the record, a lighter weight is more suitable for mobile use cases. The bigger iPads are too heavy for day-to-day carry use.

As for screen resolution, it depends on the server's adaptive streaming. I don't need full 1080p videos especially when streamed from overseas.

Just saw the later replies. Yes, the images are smaller for non-Retina iPads. If you use your iPad with WiFi at home, Retina is great. I take my iPad everywhere I go. The mini is a godsend, especially with the newer dataplans. With Verizon's plan, I can tether to my other devices too since the mini itself doesn't consume as much data as other full blown Retina devices.

The light weight and hardiness are its best features. My son already dropped one of the minis. It survived with some 1 or 2 minor scratches.
Edited by patsu - 11/25/12 at 7:37pm
post #28 of 39
Just for the record, a lighter weight is more suitable for mobile use cases. The bigger iPads are too heavy for day-to-day carry use.

Blatant lies.

post #29 of 39
Quote:

Blatant lies.

Half the weight is definitely "better" for carrying around on a day to day basis. But while I don't agree that an iPad 3/4 is too heavy to carry around all day, you can't argue that the smaller form-factor of the iPad mini is a bonus for for those that like to stay "slim and trim" on their daily treks. 

post #30 of 39
Cult of mac is that you?

Every post lately is som bs about amazon, macmall, teckserv selling xyz apple product for thirty cents less than the other guy.
post #31 of 39
Quote:

Blatant lies.
blatant lies...
post #32 of 39
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
blatant lies...

Glad we're in agreement.

post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Half the weight is definitely "better" for carrying around on a day to day basis. But while I don't agree that an iPad 3/4 is too heavy to carry around all day, you can't argue that the smaller form-factor of the iPad mini is a bonus for for those that like to stay "slim and trim" on their daily treks. 

TS is mainly replying to the implied FACT when it is merely an opinion. And not a universal one. I have carried a full size iPad for near constant use 8-14 hours a day, six days a week most weeks since about four months after the original iPad came out. And found it much lighter and easier that dealing with a laptop.

As I am looking at electrical blueprints, storyboards etc, the smaller screen size of the Mini is more a minus than the weight is a plus

post #34 of 39
As I am looking at electrical blueprints, storyboards etc, the smaller screen size of the Mini is more a minus than the weight is a plus

In thinking about desktop multitouch systems, I'm finding that I think I'd like best a 40" screen. The desk on which my Cinema Display sits is 42" diagonally (bezel would take it down to 40), and sitting here, getting a feel for it, it's just about the size I'd want from a stationary system. 

Just think of the things you can create when you have the space to do it…

post #35 of 39
Quote:

Blatant lies.

Huh ? What is there to lie ? You can walk in to any Apple Store and feel the weight difference. After carrying a mini around for 2 weeks, you'll notice the weight and Retina differences immediately when you pick up a Retina pad. I use my mini to read books a lot. Hold it with one hand for an hour or two in reclined position and you'll appreciate the weight even more.

As for content for screen resolution, the lower res of course consumes less bandwidth for images and adaptive media.

The Retina screen is appealing, but I am not willing to give other factors up. My MacBook Air is not Retina anyway.
post #36 of 39
Quote:

TS is mainly replying to the implied FACT when it is merely an opinion. And not a universal one. I have carried a full size iPad for near constant use 8-14 hours a day, six days a week most weeks since about four months after the original iPad came out. And found it much lighter and easier that dealing with a laptop.

Yes if you use apps that need the sharpness, the Retina pad and its more powerful CPU + GPU is definitely the way to go. e.g., Electrical engineering, civil engineering, professional media apps, etc.

If it's just web surfing, reading, watching Internet videos, playing simple games, the mini is a great entry in their lineup. I am typing this message on a mini while lying in bed facing up. My MBA will take care of my pro needs since I don't need to work outdoor, or on-the-move.

Note that I have an iPad dataplan. I think the pad's utility increases tremendously with cellular network access. If you use your pad only with Wifi, I suspect the Retina pad may make a more significant purchase impact. The mini is more suble and suitable for people who appreciate mobility and anywhere network access.

This is why I prefer calling the mini an iPad Air, like Gruber. I can pair it with my MBA and tether my dataplan to my Mac also. Sometimes, I take my MBA out and the mini's tethered dataplan and light weight are a good match for MBA.
Edited by patsu - 11/26/12 at 9:37am
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I'm in the same boat, i havent recieved my email yet, when i logged in at apple.com.au it tells me that it shipping between 26/11/12 & the 3/12/12

post #38 of 39
Did you call Apple support ?

My pre-order was stuck because of a card transaction data error on my part. I called them and the item was shipped the same afternoon. It arrived on the eve of the launch.
post #39 of 39
Quote:

Did you call Apple support ?
My pre-order was stuck because of a card transaction data error on my part. I called them and the item was shipped the same afternoon. It arrived on the eve of the launch.

I received an email last night 4am, telling me that it shipped, I should receive it early next month, which annoys me on a different level.

I'm glad its on its way, i called apple last week & checked the status online, i knew it was still on order.

I have the smart cover ready to go.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Skip the wait for an iPad mini, full lineup now shipping from Apple authorized resellers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Skip the wait for an iPad mini, full lineup now shipping from Apple authorized resellers