or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android

post #1 of 123
Thread Starter 
Holiday shoppers weren't just buying lots of Apple gear this year; they were buying with Apple gear, with iOS users shopping more than three times as much as mobile users on Android.

According to a report on holiday shopping by IBM, published by Kara Swisher of the Wall Street Journal "All Things D" blog, Apple's iPad "generated more traffic than any other tablet or smartphone, reaching nearly 10 percent of online shopping."

IBM's report on holiday shopping, titled "The iPad Factor," noted that Apple's iPhone was close behind with 8.7 percent of holiday traffic, while Google's entire Android platform accounted for just 5.5 percent.



Among tablets, Apple's iPad made up a whopping 88.3 percent of purchases, followed by The Nook with 3.1 percent, Amazon's storefront-centric Kindle family with 2.4 percent, and Samsung's Galaxy branded tablets making up 1.8 percent of tablet transactions.

Swisher also pointed out that eBay's PalPal division reported that its mobile transactions had grown by a factor of 2-3, much of which was represented by Apple devices. It specifically noted that "one of its bestselling items on Black Friday was the iPad 2, selling 250 per hour from 12 am to 8 am Pacific Time."
post #2 of 123
Not surprising since the iPad is a laptop replacement for many folks.

Since getting an iPhone 5 through my employer I've been happy to use its browser almost as easily as I have used a desktop browser (way better than the Blackberry browser the iPhone replaced). Video on Youtube is great. I can see shopping on my iPhone while waiting in line on a Black Friday.

My Kindle Fire's browser is horrible so I don't use it. I don't know if they improved the Silk browser on the Kindle HD as whatever OS is running on there won't see the light of day on my 1st generation Kindle Fire.

The iPod Touch refresh will see many scooping those up for the holidays as that's a solid refresh and almost good enough to replace the iPhone for many. Why that don't offer a carrier 3G one minus the Phone is a little odd to me. I'd like 3G/4G wherever I go without the phone service like the iPad cousins. I could then use Skype or FaceTime. That would save everyone the double bills on voice and data that go over the same network.
post #3 of 123

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut…

 

But Android!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #4 of 123
Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 123
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
…some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

 

"Dude, I, like, totally just got this new phone, bra."

 

"Wicked, man. What's it all do?"

"I dunno, man, but I totally just changed my user agent."

 

"What does that even meeeeeeeeean?!" "I know, bra!"

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

Though I've seen people use their iPhones as glorified feature phones it's far more prevalent with Android. My mom recently said she wanted a "big" phone (smartphone) but my sister (who pays the bill) quickly shot her down. I'm not really surprised Apple is selling so well, I can't wait to see this quarterly report.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #7 of 123
Dear Developers: Is it too much to ask to put a line wrap in your code to force a carriage return for text [excluding image objects] so that the horizontal scroller doesn't take a digital dump after anyone go hanky with the keyboard?
post #8 of 123

Nothing new here. This has happened every year for the last 10.

post #9 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The iPod Touch refresh will see many scooping those up for the holidays as that's a solid refresh and almost good enough to replace the iPhone for many. Why that don't offer a carrier 3G one minus the Phone is a little odd to me. I'd like 3G/4G wherever I go without the phone service like the iPad cousins. I could then use Skype or FaceTime. That would save everyone the double bills on voice and data that go over the same network.

 

It will go too much on iPhone territorial.

post #10 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 
But Android!

That long 'but' line overflows on the main comment page. AI should put word-wrap:break-word or overflow:hidden in their CSS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

I'd say it has a lot to do with sales figures. Android smartphones outnumber iOS ones by about 1.5:1 so the fact their online usage is 63% of the iPhone suggests a lot of them are not being used for buying online but still a significant amount are. In fact there will be around the same number of Android users buying online as iOS users but it represents a different portion of each total.

However, Samsung will have only sold about 2 million Galaxy Tabs by now:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151854/quite-smooth-samsung-actually-sold-1-10-of-the-2-million-galaxy-tabs-it-claimed-in-2010

Whereas Apple has sold over 100 million iPads. When your sales are 50:1, your usage is going to be 88.3:1.8 = 49:1. Same usage but nobody is buying them.
post #11 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

Go to Cnet comments about this. Enjoy.

post #12 of 123

but Android is winning because Google is activiation 1 Billion devices a month! Just goes to show you the "raw" OS data doesn't mean crap.  a great majority of iPhone users use it as more than a phone while a great number of Android users use it primarily as a phone.

post #13 of 123
Most of Android devices serve as doorstop and cutting board.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #14 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut…

 

But Android!

But, but, but, Android has nearly 70% smartphone market share and will be at 90% within two years...  Right before apple closes down with a "Going out of business" sign on all their retail store windows.  All the BRIC nations' consumers will be buying $25 Android devices.  America is the last bastion of Apple device sales.  Ask anyone on Wall Street as to why Apple has a P/E of 14 and Google has a P/E of 20 and they'll tell you that Apple has no future because Android is the future of the world smartphone industry.  Even now, Wall Street considers the iPhone as a minor footnote of smartphone history.  For every one iPhone Apple sells in China there will be 9,999 Android smartphones sold.  The odds are staggering.  There will be at least five Android smartphones for every living human on earth by the year 2020 if you've been able to plot the Android smartphone growth curve.  Android smartphones will outnumber cockroaches by 2025 and outnumber grains of sand by 2030.  You think the iPhone and Apple can withstand that onslaught of Android smartphones?  I don't think so.  Apple is doomed.  Sell Apple now.

 

/s

post #15 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut…

You might want to take that in and have someone look at it - it sounds like its idling a little rough.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #16 of 123
Can someone explain to me why the first chart doesn't add up to 100%? Isn't a listing of all mobile devices?
post #17 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Quote:
But, but, but, Android has nearly 70% smartphone market share and will be at 90% within two years...  Right before apple closes down with a "Going out of business" sign on all their retail store windows.  All the BRIC nations' consumers will be buying $25 Android devices.  America is the last bastion of Apple device sales.  Ask anyone on Wall Street as to why Apple has a P/E of 14 and Google has a P/E of 20 and they'll tell you that Apple has no future because Android is the future of the world smartphone industry.  Even now, Wall Street considers the iPhone as a minor footnote of smartphone history.  For every one iPhone Apple sells in China there will be 9,999 Android smartphones sold.  The odds are staggering.  There will be at least five Android smartphones for every living human on earth by the year 2020 if you've been able to plot the Android smartphone growth curve.  Android smartphones will outnumber cockroaches by 2025 and outnumber grains of sand by 2030.  You think the iPhone and Apple can withstand that onslaught of Android smartphones?  I don't think so.  Apple is doomed.  Sell Apple now.

 

/s

Thanks for the tag. Sometimes it get hard to tell.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #18 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

Not every day you see the words smart and android in the same sentence. Guess that explains the 330% lead in Apple sales...

post #19 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Can someone explain to me why the first chart doesn't add up to 100%? Isn't a listing of all mobile devices?

Bad chart.  Chart only illustrates relative difference between iPhone, iPad, and android traffic.  The numbers are the percentage of all holiday internet shopping traffic - mobile and otherwise.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #20 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

The party is over guys, and the crowd has moved on. You can cherry pick some stat or another that seems to show some great significance still left in IOs devices but the simple fact is that IOS just isn't what it once was.

Undoubtedly Apple still makes tons of money, but just as surely they are bleeding market share month after month. There is only so long Apple can continue to lose market share before they again become a niche brand (like they were in PCs)

Then maybe people will realize that market share just isn't a big deal after all. It certainly is fun for us to talk about market share on a forum. But outside of those market share "bragging rights"... who cares?

You're right... the Mac is a niche product... and it has NEVER had a market share advantage over Microsoft PCs... in 28 years.

So what?

It happened with phones about 2 years ago... and it will probably happen again in tablets too.

Again... so what?

Is the goal merely bragging rights? What does Android get for being #1 anyway?
post #21 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

Android needs a new tag line. Still #1 at making calls, but not much else.
post #22 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

but Android is winning because Google is activiation 1 Billion devices a month! Just goes to show you the "raw" OS data doesn't mean crap.  a great majority of iPhone users use it as more than a phone while a great number of Android users use it primarily as a phone.


One billion activations a month is just the start of the Android smartphone reign.  In ten years Android devices will cover every square inch of our planet.  There will be at least one foot of Android devices between your feet and any sidewalk you travel.  In the bible where the Lord said "to be fruitful and multiply, he wasn't talking about humans, he was talking about Android OS devices.  That's why Android is winning.  It has Sky Daddy's explicit approval.  You may find this hard to believe, but the fruit flies' generational population growth is being put to shame by Android.

 

/s

post #23 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can we say finally say that Android devices are not being used as smart devices the way Apple's products are or are some still going to argue it's because Android users change their User Agent?

Android needs a new tag line. Still #1 at making calls, but not much else.

And SMS txt. iMessage took those stats right off the chart for iOS. I guess I only know iPhone users because all my txts are blue. I still don't trust activation numbers because there are a lot of re-activations on both sides. On iPhone there are a lot of resales of used devices and on the Android side there are a lot of activations of new devices because the user discarded their previous device due to lack of upgradability, malfunction, or boredom.

 

I also distrust the browser usage stats since the largest analytics service provider is Google itself and they aren't releasing any statistics either because it would be a violation of privacy policies or they just don't like the the numbers. I could make a guess which it is but I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

 

I'm not sure how IBM collected these statistics because none of the references seem to link to the actual survey itself.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 123
It is interesting that with Androids being about 50% greater in users, that their online shopping presence is @ 60 % of iPhone usage. Could be demographics or user interface, since over half of Android devices are on an OS that is older than 1-2 years. The fact that there is such a difference in usage is not insignificant

Cheers !
Cheers !
Reply
Cheers !
Reply
post #25 of 123

Of course, to you, and some others apparently, USA = the world and ALL people get their Christmas shopping ONLINE. Although, Apple iGadgets will continue hemorrhaging marketshare as latest numbers show since Andoid finally chomps down on Apple's lunch after very much eats everybody else's lunch previously. you DO need your Xanax. 

 

Apple has failed to make a dent on the market outside of US, Canada, Australia, UK and some Western European countries, and these are countries where markets are already saturated with tech gadgets. If Apple wants to really compete elsewhere, well, there is only one way..., reduce its gadget's price. And. since Apple prefer to play in the high margin sandbox then that's not gonna happen. 

 

Facts: 

-Almost HALF of the people surveyed in 2011 REFUSED to make a purchase online.

-In total, LESS than 15% of ALL SALES are done online.

-In "less fortunate" countries, AKA the third world,  and the BRIC, the above corresponding numbers  are even more dismal. This is where the MOST of the GROWTH comes from, and Apple's iGadgets are barely showing on the radar there or, worse, not at all. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut…

 

But Android!

post #26 of 123

IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android

 

Is it just me or do these AI writers need to re-think how they write headlines? It's quite often that the headline doesn't match the meat of the content. It wasn't until I read the article that I realized D.E.D. was not talking about Apple selling 3.3x more iOS devices than Android-based devices over the weekend.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #27 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman619 View Post


It is interesting that with Androids being about 50% greater in users, that their online shopping presence is @ 60 % of iPhone usage. Could be demographics or user interface, since over half of Android devices are on an OS that is older than 1-2 years. The fact that there is such a difference in usage is not insignificant

Cheers !

You know what would be an interesting statistic for me? What is the ratio of iOS vs. Android use of wifi especially while shopping online? That would perhaps shed some light on the Android demographics as I suspect a huge block of Android users both in the states and abroad are people without computers and therefore no wifi at home. This single metric could explain the usage disparity.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #28 of 123

Looks like all this litigation (not innovation) IS paying off.

/s

post #29 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And SMS txt. iMessage took those stats right off the chart for iOS. I guess I only know iPhone users because all my txts are blue. I still don't trust activation numbers because there are a lot of re-activations on both sides. On iPhone there are a lot of resales of used devices and on the Android side there are a lot of activations of new devices because the user discarded their previous device due to lack of upgradability, malfunction, or boredom.

 

I also distrust the browser usage stats since the largest analytics service provider is Google itself and they aren't releasing any statistics either because it would be a violation of privacy policies or they just don't like the the numbers. I could make a guess which it is but I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

 

I'm not sure how IBM collected these statistics because none of the references seem to link to the actual survey itself.

 

Something interesting about the iMessage stats is that though lots of people use it, many many more messages are sent through WhatsApp. Apple released their stats of 300B messages sent since iMessage went live (~1yr), while WhatsApp is sending 10B per day, 300B per year. 

 

 

The stat I want to see are the number of top-tier "iPhone-killers" (or loosely-comparable Android phones for the iPhones that are available now 4/4S/5) that are sold, so we can exclude the crappy Android phones out there that aren't much better than a dumb phones out there. 

post #30 of 123
I have some antidotal evidence that confirms this. I was at Best Buy on Black Friday for well ove an hour and the Apple section of the store was crowded with people and every iPad was being used. In the time I was there I never saw one person playing around with any of the Android tablets or the Kindle Fires. If they weren't selling these things at $199 they'd have little to no market share.
post #31 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Nothing new here. This has happened every year for the last 10.

Didn't know there were Android devices that long ago.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #32 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Dude, I, like, totally just got this new phone, bra."

"Wicked, man. What's it all do?"


"I dunno, man, but I totally just changed my user agent."

"What does that even meeeeeeeeean?!" "I know, bra!"

You forgot the head exploding hand gesture.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #33 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Something interesting about the iMessage stats is that though lots of people use it, many many more messages are sent through WhatsApp. Apple released their stats of 300B messages sent since iMessage went live (~1yr), while WhatsApp is sending 10B per day, 300B per year.

According to their last statement iMessage is sending 2.5B messages per day. That's 4 to 1 in favour of WhatsApp. But lets remember that WhatsApp services a great many more devices, including iDevices, whereas iMessage only serves iDevices and Macs. It's like Android OS on devices, with so many more vendor no single vendor should be overtaking them. Same goes for this cross-platform app.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #34 of 123

This isn't rocket science.  Yes, the iPad rules the roost.  

 

The Android numbers look impressive, but they are concealing a simple fact.  The carriers (phone) are pushing cheap (and expensive) Android handsets on anyone and everyone so that they can charge their customers for mobile data.  Simple enough...

 

The secret is that all these new Android users don't need smartphones and aren't using them.  So, what we have are hundreds of millions of dead-end (no upgrades offered) Android handsets that are used for calling and texting only.

 
post #35 of 123
Originally Posted by fireside View Post
Of course, to you, and some others apparently, USA = the world…

 

No. Try again.


…and ALL people get their Christmas shopping ONLINE.

 

Your point being what? Android users are too poor to afford Internet service? Android users are too stupid to operate a computer? Android users are too paranoid to give any personal information to a website? 

 

I don't see how this can come out on top for Android users.

 

Although, Apple iGadgets will continue hemorrhaging marketshare…

 

Slapppy's back! Good to disprove everything you say, pal!

 

…as latest numbers show…

 

The numbers where the iPad has 95% marketshare of the tablets actually in use, you mean. Got it, thanks.

 

you DO need your Xanax.

 

Say this to anyone else and you're getting an infraction. At the very least, the post will be deleted. I like to play myself as the punching bag. That goes for anyone; you want to let off steam, fabricate a reason and let it off on me instead of another regular user. Seriously!

 

Apple has failed to make a dent on the market outside of US, Canada, Australia, UK and some Western European countries, and these are countries where markets are already saturated with tech gadgets.

 

News flash: Apple sells well in the most intelligent and wealthiest countries, giving the smartest userbase and most money to… Apple.

 

If Apple wants to really compete elsewhere, well, there is only one way..., reduce its gadget's price.

 

The fricking iPhone is already fricking free. Show me a scan of a Hindi newspaper advertising an Android phone plus $200 if you take the phone off their hands or clam up.

 

And. since Apple prefer to play in the high margin sandbox then that's not gonna happen.

 

And. since telecoms refuse to sell the iPhone without data plans (OH WAIT, THEY ALREADY DO) then it has already happened.

 

Facts: 


If you get near some relevancy, hop on!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #36 of 123
First it was "android users changed their user agents" now it's "you are cherry picking stats." These guys are working overtime to deny a pretty consistent stat: iOS is actually used. By lots of people. iOS matters, despite what the deniers say. They just can't wrap their google-eyed brains around that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #37 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You know what would be an interesting statistic for me? What is the ratio of iOS vs. Android use of wifi especially while shopping online? That would perhaps shed some light on the Android demographics as I suspect a huge block of Android users both in the states and abroad are people without computers and therefore no wifi at home. This single metric could explain the usage disparity.

 

Er, I don't think they're generating these stats by intercepting WiFi signals. They would be doing analytics based on what traffic hits the online retail stores - whether the traffic gets there from WiFi, 3G, wired network is irrelevant.

post #38 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireside View Post

Of course, to you, and some others apparently, USA = the world and ALL people get their Christmas shopping ONLINE. Although, Apple iGadgets will continue hemorrhaging marketshare as latest numbers show since Andoid finally chomps down on Apple's lunch after very much eats everybody else's lunch previously. you DO need your Xanax. 

 

Apple has failed to make a dent on the market outside of US, Canada, Australia, UK and some Western European countries, and these are countries where markets are already saturated with tech gadgets. If Apple wants to really compete elsewhere, well, there is only one way..., reduce its gadget's price. And. since Apple prefer to play in the high margin sandbox then that's not gonna happen. 

 

Facts: 

-Almost HALF of the people surveyed in 2011 REFUSED to make a purchase online.

-In total, LESS than 15% of ALL SALES are done online.

-In "less fortunate" countries, AKA the third world,  and the BRIC, the above corresponding numbers  are even more dismal. This is where the MOST of the GROWTH comes from, and Apple's iGadgets are barely showing on the radar there or, worse, not at all. 

 

This is mostly true but what does that say about the world as a whole? To settle for Android rather than select iOS is a mediocrity that civilized society has voted overwhelmingly against, with their wallets. As Android overtakes all other options, and becomes a commoditified mobile marketplace like Windows is today, only discerning clients will buy the superior Apple devices which is fine because it will still be the gold standard.


Edited by mstone - 11/25/12 at 6:35pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #39 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You know what would be an interesting statistic for me? What is the ratio of iOS vs. Android use of wifi especially while shopping online? That would perhaps shed some light on the Android demographics as I suspect a huge block of Android users both in the states and abroad are people without computers and therefore no wifi at home. This single metric could explain the usage disparity.

 

Er, I don't think they're generating these stats by intercepting WiFi signals. They would be doing analytics based on what traffic hits the online retail stores - whether the traffic gets there from WiFi, 3G, wired network is irrelevant.

I agree with that but if for example the Android IP addresses are all Metro PCS or other mobile carriers that would definitely change the demographics.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #40 of 123
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
…only discerning clients will buy the superior Apple devices which is fine because it will still be the gold standard.

 

So iOS is gold and Android is the dollar. Interesting that the metaphor continues beyond this, in that they just keep printing off more Android crap and shoveling it into the market.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android