or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android - Page 3

post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

I don't mean at the present moment. I mean the 'won' at the time when Steve Job returned to Apple and Apple was close to bankruptcy.

There was a time they were close but it didn't take long after the iMac launched for Apple to be a very profitable selling 'PCs'. They weren't top dog in profits like they are now but they weren't bad off. In fact, if not for the success of the iMac the iPod would have likely never seen the light of day which would have kept the iPhone and iPad going as they are. Imagine a word today without the iPhone or iPad (or an Apple); actually, don't, it's too distressing.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #82 of 123
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
From the other posts we see that there are now more android computing devices than anything else…

 

What other posts, where, who's lying about that? There are more than a billion Android devices? I seriously doubt that.

 

In the long run, who knows?

 

Once again: WE ALREADY KNOW.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #83 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

  In other words: enough already with the religion. These are just gadgets!
 

 

Oh I agree it's daft. My irritation does not come from the gadgets themselves, or my love of one over another. It's the plain lies and bullshit that gets on my nerves.

I can't stand bullshit no matter what the subject.

I don't care if person X wants to buy an Android or likes it for it's few benefits. But when i hear friends lying, I can't help but put them right. Right now I have my work cut out! It's mass delusion on a religious scale. 

post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
It mentions A-GPS.

 

Weird.

 

Almost seems like a purposeful omission…

Perhaps it has something to do with no GLONASS support although it would seem logical to mention that only in Russia, Right?.

 

GLONASS has full global coverage, just like GPS.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


The iPad 2 doesn't have GLONASS but it is odd they wouldn't include a mention of the GPS it has.
PS: I don't think I knew Sprint had the iPad (4) and iPad mini.

 

I was shocked to discover that you are right: NO WiFi only iPad has GPS, since the Cellular enabled iPads use the cell towers for the assist. One lives and learns.
 

 

That's not the reason that the non-cellular models lack GPS though. Tower-assisted positioning helps to speed up the position lock from cold, but is not required. It appears to be more due to the fact that almost all the mapping software downloads map data on the fly via cellular (unless you have mobile wifi of some kind or you had cached the relevant map data in advance), and so most of the time you would get position data but no map on which to display it.

post #85 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

GLONASS has full global coverage, just like GPS.


That's not the reason that the non-cellular models lack GPS though. Tower-assisted positioning helps to speed up the position lock from cold, but is not required. It appears to be more due to the fact that almost all the mapping software downloads map data on the fly via cellular (unless you have mobile wifi of some kind or you had cached the relevant map data in advance), and so most of the time you would get position data but no map on which to display it.

 
But all iPads (WiFi or cellular) support geotagging! That sounds like a good reason to have GPS?!
 

I agree that it would be nice. Two factors to consider though:

1. The level of complaints about mapping if the devices had GPS but could not display maps without wifi or preloaded data;

2. The GPS receivers reside on the radio chips, so the wifi-only devices would need separate GPS chips, adding to the cost.
post #86 of 123
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
The question is, who will win?

 

Apple. Hence me saying, "We already know".

 

Don't pretend you can change the definition of "win", either.

 

Apple has the use share. Apple has the money. Apple has the mindshare. Apple has the customer satisfaction. Apple has the ecosystem. Apple has the developers. Apple has the secure platform. Apple has the UX.

 

Android has the units… "shipped". We even have to put shipped in quotes now. They've already been caught lying about sales, but shipments are even questionable anymore.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #87 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I agree that it would be nice. Two factors to consider though:

1. The level of complaints about mapping if the devices had GPS but could not display maps without wifi or preloaded data;

2. The GPS receivers reside on the radio chips, so the wifi-only devices would need separate GPS chips, adding to the cost.

 
I agree with both items, and 2. is why I had initially said that Apple compromised by not giving the WiFi iPad minis (and, as it turns out, any other WiFi iPads) GPS capability. Of course, a competing argument is that presumably WiFi only devices are only used around the house where you can't acquire a signal anyway. I don't tend to agree with this, since people use WiFi devices in cafes and such a lot.
 

A least there is the option of an external Bluetooth GPS module.
post #88 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Of course, a competing argument is that presumably WiFi only devices are only used around the house where you can't acquire a signal anyway. I don't tend to agree with this, since people use WiFi devices in cafes and such a lot.
 

This is just silly. People use laptops in cafes too yet most laptops I have seen do not have GPS. Of course you are talking about outdoor cafes decreasing the market further because you are assuming that a GPS signal cannot be acquired indoors.

 

For some reason I have no problem acquiring a GPS signal in my building which has a lot of glass and wood frame construction. I'm not sure if the new GPS chips are just more sensitive or whether the cell signal assist is helping but I can watch the blue dot move around inside the building footprint as I walk around.

 

People make a conscious decision to buy an iPad with cellular or with WiFi only. Hopefully they are making an informed decision and understand that there is no GPS in the WiFi only model.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #89 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

A least there is the option of an external Bluetooth GPS module.

I have a Sierra Wireless cellular hot spot that has GPS built in but I have not tried it to see how it sends the data to the device.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #90 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is just silly. People use laptops in cafes too yet most laptops I have seen do not have GPS. Of course you are talking about outdoor cafes decreasing the market further because you are assuming that a GPS signal cannot be acquired indoors.

For some reason I have no problem acquiring a GPS signal in my building which has a lot of glass and wood frame construction. I'm not sure if the new GPS chips are just more sensitive or whether the cell signal assist is helping but I can watch the blue dot move around inside the building footprint as I walk around.

The cellular data helps a lot. It's a fast side channel for certain information where you'd otherwise need about five minutes to establish a location, where data coming through cellular can help you get you a fix in 15-30 seconds. Cellular also offers triangulation features to go with the data. Apple also triangulates based on WiFi signals too, I don't know if that's happening for you.

Quote:
People make a conscious decision to buy an iPad with cellular or with WiFi only. Hopefully they are making an informed decision and understand that there is no GPS in the WiFi only model.

Agreed. GPS in a digital device without cellular data generally doesn't make a lot of sense. The people with the one exception I'm aware of probably don't mind much about paying the extra anyway.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/26/12 at 11:41am
post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

I am sorry to say that you are somewhat delusional. It IS true (in my experience) that MOST people who can afford apple devices buy them, but most does not mean all. Some devices (Samsung Notes of various flavors) offer features (decently integrated stylus input) Apple does not offer, and some people obviously want.
 

 

What percentage of touted Android activations are Galaxy Notes?

 

Too bad these figures aren't released, I'll go out on a limb and say it would be a small fraction of one percent.

 

The disingenuousness of the "Android is winning" argument, use examples of high end devices when real world figures indicate this is not the case.

 

One only has to look at Android OS versions to see how little marketshare these flagship devices with ICS or later are taking. 

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is just silly. People use laptops in cafes too yet most laptops I have seen do not have GPS. Of course you are talking about outdoor cafes decreasing the market further because you are assuming that a GPS signal cannot be acquired indoors.

For some reason I have no problem acquiring a GPS signal in my building which has a lot of glass and wood frame construction. I'm not sure if the new GPS chips are just more sensitive or whether the cell signal assist is helping but I can watch the blue dot move around inside the building footprint as I walk around.

The cellular data helps a lot. It's a fast side channel for certain information where you'd otherwise need about five minutes to establish a location, where data coming through cellular can help you get you a fix in 15-30 seconds. Cellular also offers triangulation features to go with the data. Apple also triangulates based on WiFi signals too, I don't know if that's happening for you.

 

Modern GPS chips will lock much faster than 5 minutes. I use my iPad GPS as well as standalone GPS units regularly in areas with no cellular coverage. Acquisition times are broadly similar, and nearly always less than 60 seconds. Sensitivity is also much better than it used to be, and most modern units will acquire inside non-metallic structures with no problem.

post #93 of 123
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #94 of 123

I guess you could say that iPads are used for consumption...  Conspicuous Consumption!

 

When you use an iPad to buy a "productivity" device... how is that use classified?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman619 View Post


It is interesting that with Androids being about 50% greater in users, that their online shopping presence is @ 60 % of iPhone usage. Could be demographics or user interface, since over half of Android devices are on an OS that is older than 1-2 years. The fact that there is such a difference in usage is not insignificant

Cheers !

You know what would be an interesting statistic for me? What is the ratio of iOS vs. Android use of wifi especially while shopping online? That would perhaps shed some light on the Android demographics as I suspect a huge block of Android users both in the states and abroad are people without computers and therefore no wifi at home. This single metric could explain the usage disparity.

 

@mstone   Yours is an interesting comment!

 

It raises the question if WiFi in conjunction with an iPad is a contributing factor to Apple's blowout lead in online purchasing!

 

I know in our household, we stayed away from the stores on Thu-Sun, and did our shopping on "impulse" using iPads -- while sitting around enjoying the holiday.  We could browse, compare, discuss and purchase with the greatest ease and convenience -- using iPads over WiFi.  

 

For example my daughter wanted a new over-the-range microwave. We were able to comparison-shop,  read the user & installation manuals and schedule store pickup.

 

It just wouldn't have happened using a smaller iPhone display or cellular data network.

 

 

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 
1. My statement about cafes is supposed to mean: people use them in cafes, therefore you TRAVEL with the device, which means you COULD use GPS if it were available.
 

Do you seriously think anyone believes that? Why did you even mention cafes? People travel everywhere they go. Why does their destination matter? If you meant TRAVEL then the rest of your argument is baseless because unless they have constant wifi while they TRAVEL the maps program is useless.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 
1. My statement about cafes is supposed to mean: people use them in cafes, therefore you TRAVEL with the device, which means you COULD use GPS if it were available.
 

Do you seriously think anyone believes that? Why did you even mention cafes? People travel everywhere they go. Why does their destination matter? If you meant TRAVEL then the rest of your argument is baseless because unless they have constant wifi while they TRAVEL the maps program is useless.

 

I think that all he was trying to say was that since one does see them in cafes etc., it shows that they are not always left at home. Maps apparently works fine without cellular if you cache the route in advance.

post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you seriously think anyone believes that? Why did you even mention cafes? People travel everywhere they go. Why does their destination matter? If you meant TRAVEL then the rest of your argument is baseless because unless they have constant wifi while they TRAVEL the maps program is useless.

 

Yes, I do believe that. What does maps have to do with WiFi? A Garmin has no WiFi, and operates perfectly well, so if mapping software requires constant connectivity, it is badly designed.
 

 

Most of the map apps do require connectivity - unless you plan ahead and preload. There are a few apps that allow permanent (offline) map storage, and some are quite good, but they do take up large (GBs) of space. They work well for navigation outside service areas though.

post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

What does maps have to do with WiFi? 

 

Based off your initial argument regarding the use of GPS and that cafe goers would be using wifi. 

Originally Posted by igriv 

 I don't tend to agree with this, since people use WiFi devices in cafes and such a lot.
 

 

Sorry if I jumped to the conclusion that you meant they were using maps at the cafe. I do remember reading something about cached maps but had forgotten it until reminded just now. It still seems to be a less than efficient method and means you can't really interact with the device in route but whatever. I suppose if you compared it to the Nexus 7 WiFi only which does have GPS, that would probably be a better choice for you.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #100 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What percentage of touted Android activations are Galaxy Notes?

Too bad these figures aren't released, I'll go out on a limb and say it would be a small fraction of one percent.

The disingenuousness of the "Android is winning" argument, use examples of high end devices when real world figures indicate this is not the case.

One only has to look at Android OS versions to see how little marketshare these flagship devices with ICS or later are taking. 

http://www.androidcentral.com/5-million-samsung-galaxy-note-2-s-have-been-sold-worldwide
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

@mstone   Yours is an interesting comment!

 

It raises the question if WiFi in conjunction with an iPad is a contributing factor to Apple's blowout lead in online purchasing!

 

I know in our household, we stayed away from the stores on Thu-Sun, and did our shopping on "impulse" using iPads -- while sitting around enjoying the holiday.  We could browse, compare, discuss and purchase with the greatest ease and convenience -- using iPads over WiFi.  

 

For example my daughter wanted a new over-the-range microwave. We were able to comparison-shop,  read the user & installation manuals and schedule store pickup.

 

It just wouldn't have happened using a smaller iPhone display or cellular data network.

 

 

 

I am happy to hear of your happy shopping experience, but (a) what's wrong with cellular data networks? [In my experience they are easily as fast as WiFi for the sort of thing you are doing -- downloading MS Office might be a different matter]. (b) I find the iPad terrible for this sort of thing, as compared to a computer (which has a much bigger screen and can have several windows open at the same time).
 

 

1) Cellular data is expensive

 

2) The iPad is excellent for online shopping when you are sitting around the family room (reading, talking, listening to music, playing games, watching TV).  On a whim you can grab the iPad next to you and:  get in, get it done and get out (maybe during a commercial).

 

Certainly, one could:  get up, go to the computer, sit down... and all that entails.

 

 

For the kind of extemporaneous shopping (or surfing) described in my post it beats a computer for convenience...

 

I equate that activity to changing channels on the TV without a remote control -- it's a real PITA to get up, go over, change, come back... so much so, that you probably put it off as long as you can.

 

 

The iPad-WiFi combo is your remote control for the Internet!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

How is what you say relevant to my post?
 

 

Galaxy Note buyers form a very small part of smartphone buyers in general, the impact of people choosing a Galaxy Note over an iPhone is negligible.

 

Seeing as how you brought the Galaxy Note up as an example of Apple failing, by "losing" marketshare while simultaneously increasing overall iOS device sales.

 

Time and time again usage stats showing iOS's dominance indicate that most Android devices are sold to new smartphone customers, updating from feature phones and continuing to use their new Android based smartphones as feature phones.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #103 of 123

 

So, a few days of Google's touted "activations", a small fraction of a percent of overall Android "sales".

 

Showing my conjecture was correct.

 

Thanks.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

1) Cellular data is expensive

 

 

 

 

A relative term, I am now paying a tenth of what I was paying for cellphone service in the nineties, with more data, calls and SMS than I can use.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #105 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

1) Cellular data is expensive

 

 

 

 

A relative term, I am now paying a tenth of what I was paying for cellphone service in the nineties, with more data, calls and SMS than I can use.

 

Yeah, but....

 

My 14-year-old grandson got an iP5 -- when the first bill came he was charged $540 overage on his $20 300MB data plan...

 

The big culprit was playing game apps which have an on-line component.   We set in place a new rule that any online activities are limited to when he has WiFi access.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #106 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

Yeah, but....

 

My 14-year-old grandson got an iP5 -- when the first bill came he was charged $540 overage on his $20 300MB data plan...

 

The big culprit was playing game apps which have an on-line component.   We set in place a new rule that any online activities are limited to when he has WiFi access.

 

The overage charge is a little surprising. In my experience the carriers send you warnings when you run over your allotment, so your grandson may be a teeny bit to blame....
 

 

It's an ATT family plan and we all now have iPhones -- the 2 boys got theirs about two months ago.  ATT did send us a warning that one of the boys was nearing his limit -- but nothing for the iP5 that ran 8,268 MB... go figure...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #107 of 123

Ugh. Same flawed analysis as usual.

 

1) iOS still has a larger installed base than Android.  This advantage is significantly amplified in tablets.

 

2) Black Friday is a US phenomenon that spills over into Canada and somewhat into the UK and Australian retail markets.  These are areas where iOS does outsell or is at parity with Android.

 

Those two facts alone should offer a plausible explanation why more people are shopping with an iOS device.  Still, some will see what they want to see.....

post #108 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Ugh. Same flawed analysis as usual.

1) iOS still has a larger installed base than Android.

I don't think that's accurate. Now, if you take Android-based phones that I would classify as smartphones and not what I would call a modern day feature phone running Android OS then I would say it's a correct that iOS has a larger installed based than Android on smartphones.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #109 of 123

The dif between Android and Apple purchasing online will only grow as cheaper and cheaper buyers get cheaper and cheaper Android devices. The Android sector will end up a mile wide and and inch thin apropos purchasing. Good luck to Google and Amazon recouping costs "making it up on volume."

post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Actually 1%, and that's just Galaxy Note 2, and that's in just under two months (according to the link responded to).  Cnet reports very healthy Galaxy SIII growth, on top of the "several million" that have already been sold. So, I think Samsung "top of the line" phones account for a few percent (5-10%) at least of the Android total. Nexus 4 (a high end phone also) sold out in (literally) minutes in many markets. So, yes, the iPhone may be wonderful in all ways (I certainly like mine), but let's not be delusional.
 

If i told you, that only someone very stupid would buy a galaxy s3, what would you answer?

 

first of all, it is absolutely destroyed by the iPhone in every single way (speed, graphics, camera, screen, build, weight, design, OS). Second, there's much better android devices, like de droid dna, x+, even the note... even if all of those are destroyed by the iphone too.

 

Why would anyone besides someone very very stupid buy a s3?

post #111 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Actually 1%, and that's just Galaxy Note 2, and that's in just under two months (according to the link responded to).  Cnet reports very healthy Galaxy SIII growth, on top of the "several million" that have already been sold. So, I think Samsung "top of the line" phones account for a few percent (5-10%) at least of the Android total. Nexus 4 (a high end phone also) sold out in (literally) minutes in many markets. So, yes, the iPhone may be wonderful in all ways (I certainly like mine), but let's not be delusional.
 

 

The 5 million galaxy note 2 figure is based on 3 months.

 

So that leaves around 90% of Android devices in the low to mid range, not accessing the Internet and being used as feature phones.

 

A fact borne out by your statement and backed up by statistics such as those this article is based on.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #112 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Why would anyone besides someone very very stupid buy a s3?

 

Sheep falling for marketing hype.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If i told you, that only someone very stupid would buy a galaxy s3, what would you answer?

first of all, it is absolutely destroyed by the iPhone in every single way (speed, graphics, camera, screen, build, weight, design, OS). Second, there's much better android devices, like de droid dna, x+, even the note... even if all of those are destroyed by the iphone too.

Why would anyone besides someone very very stupid buy a s3?

Can you please support that better? I know at least two people that have them and they seem to really like it. They aren't dunces either.
Edited by JeffDM - 11/27/12 at 6:25am
post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Can you please support that better? I know at least two people that have them and they seem to really like it. They aren't dunces either.

He can't, that's his only viewpoint. In his eyes it's stupid to choose a SGSIII, so those that choose one must be stupid and with that logic on smart people have iPhones which I personally know is not true.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #115 of 123
 
Now we only have one Android phone in our home for one of our sons. The rest of us use the iPhone, because we like it!
Android users state that only people who are smarter regarding tech use Android. What a thought. All of those using Android are "smarter', not likely.
Many, many of us prefer Apple and IOS and that's that! With people saying that Apple winning a lawsuit against Samsung, innovation and technology will be stifled, I think that they should take a look around and realize that Android users trying to convince everyone, in their cultish militant style, that we all HAVE TO USE ANDROID! It's your ONLY OPTION! is doing just that. 
Many prefer Apple, some prefer Windows devices and move.
The iPhone 5 is number one in the US since the release of the iPhone 5 again. Apple is not dying or dead by any means and if you don't like Apple devices, why are you here? 
Another, "YOU MUST USE ANDROID OR YOU ARE DOOMED!" post.
No thanks. 
post #116 of 123
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
First it was "android users changed their user agents" now it's "you are cherry picking stats." These guys are working overtime to deny a pretty consistent stat: iOS is actually used. By lots of people. iOS matters, despite what the deniers say. They just can't wrap their google-eyed brains around that.

 

This was reported. That's pretty hilarious. Says a lot about the person reporting it, too.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #117 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut…

But Android!

LOL. iPad browser share is high, but it's down to 55% market share compared to Android. In terms of purchases, I have no doubt Android users are more conservative than iOS users.

Each "side" can quote what it want but 2013 will be a 50-50 iOS-Android world.The "war" is meaningless now. Amazing the bias here, but then again, I was part of it myself just several months ago. So I guess that's karma and now have to "atone" for it.

iOS has many advantages but Android 4.x has a lot of potential. If you compare iOS 6 to Android 2.x or 3.x certainly there doesn't seem anything amazing about Android. But with Android 4.1 and above, and manufacturers refining hardware, it is looking interesting for 2013.

Samsung is also charging Apple 20% more apparently, so the Apple ship seems to be rocking a little more without Steve. No Scott Forstall... No Swype. No hardware notification for messages or charging (it's actually quite useful on a Xperia S).

Android is not for everyone but neither is iOS.
post #118 of 123
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post
LOL. iPad browser share is high, but it's down to 55% market share compared to Android.

 

Your point is what? No one wants to develop for a platform that isn't actually being used.

 

They're bought and thrown in the garbage or used to level a desk. Who the FRICK cares about how many were sold if it has nothing to do with the number in use?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Your point is what? No one wants to develop for a platform that isn't actually being used.

 

They're bought and thrown in the garbage or used to level a desk. Who the FRICK cares about how many were sold if it has nothing to do with the number in use?

It was worth developing for iOS when there were far fewer than 20M iPhones in use. It was worth developing for the iPad when there were far fewer than 20M in use. When wouldn't it be worth developing Android tablet apps even tho it might only have several million devices in use?

 

Taking a glance at Google Play it appears there's a whole lot more tablet-optimized apps than there were even 2 months ago. Perhaps Google's Nexus tablet gamble might pay off. Perhaps not. 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #120 of 123
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
It was worth developing for iOS when there were far fewer than 50M iPhones in use. It was worth developing for the iPad when there were far fewer than 20M in use. When wouldn't it be worth developing Android tablet apps even tho it might not only have several million devices in use?

 

Because the ratio of used:shipped was never this low for iOS devices.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IBM: Apple's iOS dominated holiday shopping, 330% greater than Android