or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's redesigned iMacs will go on sale this Friday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's redesigned iMacs will go on sale this Friday

post #1 of 119
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday announced that its all-new iMac desktop will launch this Friday, Nov. 30, meeting its deadline to launch before the end of the month.

The 21.5-inch model will be available through Apple's online store, Apple retail stores and select authorized resellers. The 27-inch variety will begin shipping in December, but orders will begin at Apple's online store on Friday.

The 21.5-inch iMac will feature a 2.7-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and Nvidia GeForce G6 640M graphics for a suggested retail price of $1,299. A faster 2.9-gigahertz model will be offered for $1,499.

The larger 27-inch iMac will have a 2.9-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 and GeForce GTX 660M graphics for $1,799. The high-end 3.2-gigahertz model with GTX 675MX graphics will cost $1,999.

iMac


The redesigned iMac has an aluminum and glass enclosure that is 5-millimeters thin at its edge. It also features a reengineered display that Apple has said reduces reflections by 75 percent.

The new iMac also sports 8 gigabytes of 1,600-megahertz memory, along with a 1-terabyte hard drive and standard Intel Core i5 processors that can be upgraded to Core i7. The new Nvidia GeForce graphics processors also promise up to 60 percent fast performance.

The all-in-one iMac desktops also sport Apple's new hybrid Fusion Drive, which gives customers the performance of flash with the capacity of a hard drive. This is accomplished by combining 128 gigabytes of flash with a standard hard drive, creating a single storage volume that intelligently manages files to optimize read and write performance.
post #2 of 119
At last!
post #3 of 119
That'll make a few folks happy!
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #4 of 119

About damn time, this entire refresh has been a massive cock up. 

 

Considering Tim is known for his supply management skills this is a big blemish on his record.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #5 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

About damn time, this entire refresh has been a massive cock up. 

 

Considering Tim is known for his supply management skills this is a big blemish on his record.

It seems like there is plenty of time to get this before XMAS. Given that the iPhone and iPad are the hottest device on everyone's XMAS list, I don't see how releasing this with some minimal delay is a "cock up"

post #6 of 119
Now cue all the whining about making iMac thinner by losing the optical drive. Hey and maybe even some complaints that it doesn't support blu-ray. lol.gif
post #7 of 119
Oh saarek
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #8 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

It seems like there is plenty of time to get this before XMAS. Given that the iPhone and iPad are the hottest device on everyone's XMAS list, I don't see how releasing this with some minimal delay is a "cock up"
If there were any production issues, better for Apple to delay shipment and get the issues worked out. As far as not selling any iMacs right now, how many people would really buy one knowing a newer version is right around the corner?
post #9 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

About damn time, this entire refresh has been a massive cock up. 

 

Considering Tim is known for his supply management skills this is a big blemish on his record.

Don't see any cock up there.

 

Some folks are so quick to criticize these days.

 

Anyway I think Tim Cook has more than proven, that he is doing a great job.

post #10 of 119

iTunes 11 ?

 

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but it would be nice to hear info from the on it, along with this announcement.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #11 of 119

Bout time is right. I know an apple specialist store (ehem) who has been without iMacs for about 2-3 months because apple stopped selling the old in prep for the new.

 

It's amazing to me how few people are talking about this. All all the history of apple product releases, I've never seen a time were you literally cannot buy a particular apple product because of a dead spot in the release chain.

 

Image if apple suddenly decided to stop selling iPads for a few months? That's what's happened with the iMac.

 

Somebody at apple should be getting fired over this.

post #12 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Now cue all the whining about making iMac thinner by losing the optical drive. Hey and maybe even some complaints that it doesn't support blu-ray. lol.gif

Just realized it has not even 5 1/4" Floppy drive!!! Must be DOA!

 

/s

post #13 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Bout time is right. I know an apple specialist store (ehem) who has been about 2-3 months without iMacs because apple stopped selling the old in prep for the new.

It's amazing to me how few people are talking about this. All all the history of releases with apple, I've never seen a time were you literally cannot buy a particular apple product because of a dead spot in the release chain.

That means one of apple's top products has essentially been off the shelf for several months. Somebody at apple should be getting fired over this.
People probably aren't talking about it because the sales are negligible.
post #14 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Don't see any cock up there.

Some folks are so quick to criticize these days.

Anyway I think Tim Cook has more than proven, that he is doing a great job.

Not having any iMacs for sale in the Apple store isn't a cock up?
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #15 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


People probably aren't talking about it because the sales are negligible.

 

 

Sorry, but you're wrong. iMac sales are still a HUGE part of apple. Not as much as laptop sales I will give you, but way more then you think.

 

Edit: OK, Mac sales in general are only about 10-15% of the company, and obviously iMacs are an even smaller piece. But at the size of apple, that's still multiple millions of dollars worth of product that is not getting sold.


Edited by enjourni - 11/27/12 at 6:52am
post #16 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Now cue all the whining about making iMac thinner by losing the optical drive. Hey and maybe even some complaints that it doesn't support blu-ray. lol.gif

 

Indeed, Grandpa geeks tend to be grumpy when they get older. 

post #17 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

About damn time, this entire refresh has been a massive cock up. 

 

Considering Tim is known for his supply management skills this is a big blemish on his record.

Sure a total cock up. They said they wouldn't be available until November and they weren't available until November...

post #18 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

It seems like there is plenty of time to get this before XMAS. Given that the iPhone and iPad are the hottest device on everyone's XMAS list, I don't see how releasing this with some minimal delay is a "cock up"

It's not about Christmas, It's about the refresh cycle. All they had to do was release a CPU/GPU update in the old chasis much earlier on this year. Then release the new system once production is up and running and wow everyone.

 

Instead they had a large drop off in sales for desktop iMacs and two months of no sales full stop on iMacs. 

 

I'm sorry, but if this is not a monumental cock up I don't know what is.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #19 of 119
Yes! So I guess the 27" will be on sale Dec.31, 2012! Hey, it's still December. And the new Mac Pros will be on sale Dec. 31st, 2013... Hey, it's still 2013! 1rolleyes.gif
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #20 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iTunes 11 ?

 

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but it would be nice to hear info from the on it, along with this announcement.

 

 How about this for some iTunes 11 news: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57553458-37/itunes-11-launch-imminent-says-music-firm/

post #21 of 119

People whined about there being no iMacs.  Apple revealed a new design and said "Available November."  Now they're whining because it wasn't Nov 1, it's 4 whole weeks later!  This is unacceptable, Cook must be fired.

 

Seriously, people?  What are we, toddlers?  My 5 year old has more patience than this.

post #22 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It's not about Christmas, It's about the refresh cycle. All they had to do was release a CPU/GPU update in the old chasis much earlier on this year. Then release the new system once production is up and running and wow everyone.

 

Instead they had a large drop off in sales for desktop iMacs and two months of no sales full stop on iMacs. 

 

I'm sorry, but if this is not a monumental cock up I don't know what is.

Fair enough

post #23 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

People whined about there being no iMacs.  Apple revealed a new design and said "Available November."  Now they're whining because it wasn't Nov 1, it's 4 whole weeks later!  This is unacceptable, Cook must be fired.

Seriously, people?  What are we, toddlers?  My 5 year old has more patience than this.

Consumers don't have patience. Not having iMacs available in the Apple store was a f*ck up. Period.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #24 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post


Sorry, but you're wrong. iMac sales are still a HUGE part of apple. Not as much as laptop sales I will give you, but way more then you think.

Edit: OK, Mac sales in general are only about 10-15% of the company, and obviously iMacs are an even smaller piece. But at the size of apple, that's still multiple millions of dollars worth of product that is not getting sold.

And if they end up losing billions because they had to divert resources for other Apple products so they can pushed out new iMac at a higher cost you would still think they made the right choice? I certainly don't. Bottom line is the iMac accounts for very little of Apple's profit and the cost for the device makes it less likely to be someone might instantly decide to buy if they see online or in a store.

Let's also remember that Apple doesn't build most of the components in the device. What if a deal with a vendor fell through or the vendor ended up shipping them inferior components. Would you want Apple to use these inferior parts to meet a self imposed deadline (a deadline they have made, BTW) or would you rather they did it right?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #25 of 119

Finally!!!! :D

Ismael072307

Reply

Ismael072307

Reply
post #26 of 119

Good things come to those who wait. Just ask fans of Valve's video games. :)

post #27 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

People whined about there being no iMacs.  Apple revealed a new design and said "Available November."  Now they're whining because it wasn't Nov 1, it's 4 whole weeks later!  This is unacceptable, Cook must be fired.

 

Seriously, people?  What are we, toddlers?  My 5 year old has more patience than this.

 

Patience is not the problem. Sure there are people going to be upset because they want the new iMac and it's several months away. I personally think apple shouldn't even announce it if it's not ready to go shortly after (because sales of the existing product will dry up).

 

But believe it or not, many people who don't read online have absolutely no idea that new iMac's are coming out... these are kind of people that wonder into an Apple store, see the cool iMac on the sales floor and decide to buy, only to find that apple has no iMac to sell them. Apple is throwing money out the window because they didn't make sure they had enough of the old iMac to cover them until the new one gets released.

post #28 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Consumers don't have patience. Not having iMacs available in the Apple store was a f*ck up. Period.

So Apple products were a **** up under Steve Jobs whenever they stopped selling an old products and had no new product yet to sell?

I quite glad that Apple has done this with the iMac. They can't win can they? If they kept selling the old iMac until Friday then people complain about their iMac now being obsolete. They give you a release timeframe, cost, specs and stop the old model people complain that Apple doesn't know how to run a business.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #29 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It's not about Christmas, It's about the refresh cycle. All they had to do was release a CPU/GPU update in the old chasis much earlier on this year. Then release the new system once production is up and running and wow everyone.

Instead they had a large drop off in sales for desktop iMacs and two months of no sales full stop on iMacs. 

I'm sorry, but if this is not a monumental cock up I don't know what is.

And I bet you'll still complain with "what kind of update is this. They just changed the CPU speed." and if they made a whole new updated designed iMac you'll complain "they just screwed over the buyers of the last CPU update. They hate their customers. They should have made only this change and not the incremental change earlier. " you can't please everyone, especially the whiners.
post #30 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And if they end up losing billions because they had to divert resources for other Apple products so they can pushed out new iMac at a higher cost you would still think they made the right choice? I certainly don't. Bottom line is the iMac accounts for very little of Apple's profit and the cost for the device makes it less likely to be someone might instantly decide to buy if they see online or in a store.
Let's also remember that Apple doesn't build most of the components in the device. What if a deal with a vendor fell through or the vendor ended up shipping them inferior components. Would you want Apple to use these inferior parts to meet a self imposed deadline (a deadline they have made, BTW) or would you rather they did it right?

 

 

Obviously not, none of us here have any idea WHY this happened... something obviously fell through the cracks... a vendor deal or whatever. We will probably never know. I'm sure apple had a good reason, but whatever the reason was, in the short term it's costing them money. Coupled with the fact that I've never seen apple do this in over 4 years of watching product launches (apple has ALWAYS had enough product to hold them over, at least to within a month or so of the new product), does not make for a good sign.

post #31 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Apple products were a **** up under Steve Jobs whenever they stopped selling an old products and had no new product yet to sell?
I quite glad that Apple has done this with the iMac. They can't win can they? If they kept selling the old iMac until Friday then people complain about their iMac now being obsolete. They give you a release timeframe, cost, specs and stop the old model people complain that Apple doesn't know how to run a business.

I don't ever remember a time when there was nothing to sell after a new product was announced.

... and what the f*ck does Steve Job have to do with this. If he did this then he f*cked up as well.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #32 of 119
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post
Yes! So I guess the 27" will be on sale Dec.31, 2012! Hey, it's still December. And the new Mac Pros will be on sale Dec. 31st, 2013... Hey, it's still 2013! 1rolleyes.gif
 

 

December 21. Gotta beat the REAL deadline.


Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
I don't ever remember a time when there was nothing to sell after a new product was announced.

 

First iPhone. First iPad. Also first iPhone end of life, when there was a month before even the announcement of the iPhone 3G without product being sold. That's a little more like this situation.


... and what the f*ck does Steve Job have to do with this. If he did this then he f*cked up as well.

 

Not really. It's bad, sure. We'd all prefer them not to announce stuff before it ships… ever! But there's nothing screwed up here.

post #33 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

December 21. Gotta beat the REAL deadline.

First iPhone. First iPad. Also first iPhone end of life, when there was a month before even the announcement of the iPhone 3G without product being sold. That's a little more like this situation.

Not really. It's bad, sure. We'd all prefer them not to announce stuff before it ships… ever! But there's nothing screwed up here.

We're talking about Macs... a product that is a little harder to sell... wouldn't you agree.

Or did you miss the part about a drop in Mac sales.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #34 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So Apple products were a **** up under Steve Jobs whenever they stopped selling an old products and had no new product yet to sell?
I quite glad that Apple has done this with the iMac. They can't win can they? If they kept selling the old iMac until Friday then people complain about their iMac now being obsolete. They give you a release timeframe, cost, specs and stop the old model people complain that Apple doesn't know how to run a business.

 

Exactly.

post #35 of 119
I've been waiting for quite a while for a new Mac. My major gripe with the new iMacs is that Apple seems to prefer form over function; I suspect that the ultra-thin case is the reason that Apple needed to use slower (and therefore cooler) 5400rpm drives instead of 7200rpm drives. Add a couple of millimeters to the case to improve cooling for friggin' sake if it'll mean better performance!

There's a place for form over function, but not as much on a desktop computer.

Also, why no wireless EXTENDED keyboard? Why!?

/rant
post #36 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Consumers don't have patience. Not having iMacs available in the Apple store was a f*ck up. Period.

 

Perhaps that was in your store.  I have 2 near me, I have been in either several times over the past 2 months, and saw people purchasing iMacs.

post #37 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Patience is not the problem. Sure there are people going to be upset because they want the new iMac and it's several months away. I personally think apple shouldn't even announce it if it's not ready to go shortly after (because sales of the existing product will dry up).

But believe it or not, many people who don't read online have absolutely no idea that new iMac's are coming out... these are kind of people that wonder into an Apple store, see the cool iMac on the sales floor and decide to buy, only to find that apple has no iMac to sell them. Apple is throwing money out the window because they didn't make sure they had enough of the old iMac to cover them until the new one gets released.


For crying out loud!!!! Apple is not throwing money out the window. If someone came into an apple store and was sold on an iMac, they aren't going to throw up their hands and go buy a PC just because they have to wait a few extra weeks. Typically when someone is sold on a Mac they're buying a Mac. The vast majority of people who have decided to purchase an iMac in the last month (I was in a store as recently as 3weeks ago that still had a few units in stock) will be purchasing these iMacs about to come out. Sure, there has been a dip in the iMac revenue stream, but the surge to follow will more than make up for that dip before things level back out by jan-feb. Last time I checked, Apple wasn't living paycheck to paycheck. I think they have more than ample funds in the bank to cover the slight dip.
post #38 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Perhaps that was in your store.  I have 2 near me, I have been in either several times over the past 2 months, and saw people purchasing iMacs.

Online.

... and, no offence intended, but anecdotal evidence doesn't quite cut it for me.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #39 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That'll make a few folks happy!

 

 

Yabba dabba doooooo!

 

iMac, it's an iMac

It is a really really nice machine

Want one, gonna buy one

It is a really really nice machine.

 

Good enough?

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #40 of 119
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
We're talking about Macs...

 

You did say "product".


…a product that is a little harder to sell… wouldn't you agree.

 

Not really?


Or did you miss the part about a drop in Mac sales.

 

I don't really believe that's related, nor to the "difficulty" of getting them out the door.


Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
Yabba dabba Boooom!

 

iMac, it's an iMac

It is a really really nice machine

Want one, gonna buy one

And I really like the glossy screen

 

Changes in bold.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's redesigned iMacs will go on sale this Friday