or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon boasts about Kindle's strong Cyber Monday, still withholds sales figures

Amazon boasts about Kindle's strong Cyber Monday, still withholds sales figures - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHAT?! Three THOUSAND? How is their stock not plummeting faster than Jay Leno's ratings?* No, seriously! What happens when they DO collapse? What happens to everything they do? Their website, their warehouses, and all the other, unrelated websites that are hosted on their off-season servers? Because doesn't it seem like they're really going to collapse, and violently

*Hi-yo, old, terrible joke!

As soon as their stock mysteriously bounced after the recent cratering of the stock market, I got out. No sense in risking it with AMZN. The whole thing is a house of cards.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #42 of 52
Quote:

WHAT?! Three THOUSAND? How is their stock not plummeting faster than Jay Leno's ratings?* No, seriously! What happens when they DO collapse? What happens to everything they do? Their website, their warehouses, and all the other, unrelated websites that are hosted on their off-season servers? Because doesn't it seem like they're really going to collapse, and violently

EPS of 8 cents. lol.gif

post #43 of 52
Quote:

As long as one's nose is just out of the water one can live forever.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #44 of 52
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
EPS of 8 cents. lol.gif

Apple's is 44.16. And yet SELL SELL SELL. My stars.

The patent system isn't broken. The legal system isn't broken. The stock market is broken.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
As long as one's nose is just out of the water one can live forever.

Can I sue you when I die of starvation after having tried this? You haven't provided any disclaimer that this isn't to be construed as medical counseling. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally626 View Post

The Kindle PaperWhite is very nice, I bought one for my Daughter. For reading books, certainly novels, it is the best option out there right now. As a general purpose tablet it is not so good. Now at the $119 it is WIFI only and has the adds. I expect a lot of non-kindle users will get that model, users of old Kindles are much more likely to move up to the $200 model with no adds and 3G wireless, you pay $60 for 3 or 4 years of 3G coverage (depending on how long you use the Kindle actively), compared to $15/month for the iPad.

It's important to know that the free 3G really only covers Wikipedia and the Amazon store. The older kindle keyboard model subsidises internet browsing (which was useful for booking hotels when I was travelling in the middle on nowhere in the USA with a kindled friend). Unless books are an impulse purchase and you do a lot of travel the 3G is just not worth it for most people.

I'm buying a kindle paperwhite for long form reading, primarily because it is much lighter than an iPad and doesn't come with all the notifications and other distractions of a multipurpose device. I've been kindle curious for a while. The combination of the integrated light, improved PPI, and capacitive touch at this price point were the tipping point for me. Opting for the non-advertisement subsidised version purely on principle.

I wish they had opted for some gloriously ergonomic physical page turn buttons though.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I keep waiting for the investor community to start applying the same standards to Amazon as they do to Apple and other companies. Last quarter Apple reported profits of almost $9B and their stock dropped like 4% the next day. Amazon reported a loss and the next day their stock was up almost 6%. Their PE is close to 3000 now. Apple's is less than 13. Explain that. 1oyvey.gif

Impossible to explain, other than their monopoly status.

I seriously think that Ebay could be a worthy adversary...and when that happens, watch out below.

post #47 of 52
I still haven't seen a single one out in public or among people I know. Not one!
post #48 of 52
Quote:

The patent system isn't broken. The legal system isn't broken. The stock market is broken.
Can I sue you when I die of starvation after having tried this? You haven't provided any disclaimer that this isn't to be construed as medical counseling. lol.gif

LOL. I was speaking metaphorically of course. Operating with thin margins while not ideal can sustain a business quite well, just look at Walmart.
post #49 of 52
Quote:

I suppose if the risks to the company were too great, Apple could always buy back their stock and go private...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I suppose if the risks to the company were too great, Apple could always buy back their stock and go private...

Huh? There supposedly worth $500+B and have $120+B in the bank. If that is the case, how can they buy back their stock on their own?
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #51 of 52
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Huh? There supposedly worth $500+B and have $120+B in the bank. If that is the case, how can they buy back their stock on their own?

That's what all the shorting is! It's APPLE doing the shorting to artificially lower their own company's value! Meanwhile their profits keep skyrocketing. Eventually they'll meet in the middle with Apple buying itself out for $300 billion, going private, and continuing to just make money hand over fist.

post #52 of 52
Quote:

That's what all the shorting is! It's APPLE doing the shorting to artificially lower their own company's value! Meanwhile their profits keep skyrocketing. Eventually they'll meet in the middle with Apple buying itself out for $300 billion, going private, and continuing to just make money hand over fist.

lol.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon boasts about Kindle's strong Cyber Monday, still withholds sales figures
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon boasts about Kindle's strong Cyber Monday, still withholds sales figures