or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple fires iOS 6 Maps chief

Apple fires iOS 6 Maps chief - Page 3

post #81 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

Street View is not relevant... It never existed on the Google version of the iPhone maps app. Google would not allow it, nor would they allow turn-by-turn..... No iPhone user 'lost' street view by moving to Apple maps...
What Apple maps users gained in iOS 6 was native turn-by-turn and flyover... Definitely an upgrade...
When Google ships an iOS maps app, then the comparison will make sense... Not sure what's taking them so long...

That's incorrect. Why won't this lie die?

You click that little symbol to the left of the name and you got the classic Street View window. You click the little map in the corner to exit it and you can use manipulate it just like you can with the website version.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #82 of 153
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
That's incorrect. Why won't this lie die?

Wait, you don't know?

Trolls don't actually use Apple products. They couldn't possibly know what features they have. 

I'd rather it not die. It's one of the better ways to out people that have never used Apple products at all.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #83 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Good for Apple.  That needed to happen.  While probably more of a case of bad PR vs a bad product, it still hurt Apple's brand image.  Good for them to show that the Maps App was not an acceptable product.

Yes it was very bad PR for Apple, but it's my feeling the expectations were too high for a first release.
I'm still using iOS 5 on my iPhone4, so I'm still on Google Maps which has given me several serious mapping errors this year.
- Like taking me into the oncoming traffic on an in city long bridge with mid divider. Fortunately I saw the problem at home.
-Like for a few days locating my home half mile away where a advertisers business is.
-Like taking me in the 180° wrong way when exiting off I5 in Wa to my hotel. A hotel in the wrong direction told me the way as I noticed a sign on their wall saying "don't use Google maps to find us!".

As for the new Apple Maps I've tried it a few times in the Apple Store.
-The first time was a few weeks after release, it gave me a better city route than Google Maps and was much more readable as the route marker doesn't cover the street names.
-Recently I tried it to find a newer local theater in a difficult to find mall location. Google Maps was half a block away- useless. MS Maps pointed to the street corner where there is a mall entrance.
Apple Maps hit it right on, marking the center of the theater roof.
post #84 of 153

that Apple maps was deficient wasn't news, as several stories have reported that top management was told before the iPhone 5 launch, and they decided to drop Google Maps and go with their own maps.  They wanted to drop Google, and so they did.  So some guy gets the political heave ho, when it was Cook who signed the letter.  Sounds like normal corporate musical chairs, where protecting your back takes most of your day.

post #85 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Mac View Post

It is interesting to note that about 30 minutes after this article with that image of Hoover Dam was posted, Apple fixed the image in their database. That says something about the company.
Really? on my iOS 6 iPhone 4S the picture still looks the same as above - when in 3D mode - When not in 3D mode you can get an optical illusion that the span is arched upward - but when you switch to 3D and rotate the view is when you see it. And here I though the problem was the tag Hoover Dam on the Boulder Dam, or is it the Black Canyon Dam? Damn dam, which is it? 

Tinker's Dam?

Maybe the Nowungiva Dam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 
What would steve do?

Well, he let the MobileMe team go for screwing up but then with the antenna thing, he told users to be more lenient and accept that antennas just have these problems. I think Maps is more a case of the latter than the former. There's more good about it than there is bad just like Siri and it will improve over time. No big deal IMO and not worth losing good staff over.
post #86 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, you've missed at least one major thing. Or, at least, you've repeated the same FUD that has been presented over and over.
The bolded statements are just wrong.
1. Few people have actually done comparisons, but the ones who have have found few significant differences between Apple Maps and Google Maps. You're confusing a bunch of whining with evidence.
2. In some parts of the world, Apple Maps is demonstrably better - China, for example.
Some of your other complaints are nonsensical. No, there's no desktop version of Apple Maps, but there's no version of Google Maps that works on my microwave, either. Neither of those things was ever intended. When you're at your desktop, you have a wide range of choices for mapping solutions.
Transit data is intentionally being supplied by third parties. Just a difference in approach rather than a significant flaw.

It is not at all nonsensical to prefer using the same maps solution on desktop and on mobile devices.

Show me a proper, exhaustive comparison that reports "few" significant differences between Apple Maps and Google Maps. I don't even know how one would define the comparison to begin with, and I am way smarter (and better looker) than you.

I did not say iOS maps were significantly flawed. I merely wrote that I didn't know how we could arrive at the conclusion at it was not significantly worse than Google. I could have written that I don't know how we can arrive at the conclusion that it is significantly worse. But you are so instinctively, preternaturally defensive that you resort to manipulation of emphasis, convenient/deliberate negligence of my presentation of two-sided perspective, sophomoric use of single exceptions to invalidate a general observation and hyperbolic belittlement. As usual, these low level tactics only serve to undermine you instead of me.

Take a deep breath. I am not attacking your wife's ugliness (or your husband). I am asking how we can objectively define whether he/she is significantly ugly, or pretty.

Try to be better.
Edited by ankleskater - 11/27/12 at 4:33pm
post #87 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I still don't understand...  The non-FlyOver 3D Imagery can detect the man-made Hoover dam (and the roadway on top of it) -- why cannot it detect the man-made bridge (and the roadway on top of it)?

Because the dam (or possibly the earth it lies along) is evidently part of the terrain and is found in elevation data. No need to send Flyover aircraft to capture it in rough form (although they would add detail).

Bridges are simply not contained in elevation data. It’s the same with Google and every other mapping system. Elevation data alone gives the valley—not bridges.

Eventually Apple will send the aircraft to capture that dam—it is, after all, a landmark. But I’m happy to have them focus on capturing more poplated areas first. Meanwhile, the bridge is no worse than in Google, and will confuse nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

Street View is not relevant... It never existed on the Google version of the iPhone maps app. Google would not allow it, nor would they allow turn-by-turn..... No iPhone user 'lost' street view by moving to Apple maps...
What Apple maps users gained in iOS 6 was native turn-by-turn and flyover... Definitely an upgrade...
When Google ships an iOS maps app, then the comparison will make sense... Not sure what's taking them so long...

As has been pointed out, Apple’s Maps app, when it was using Google data, had Google’s Street View for years. It was neat, and occasionally (once or twice a month for me) VERY useful. I want it back! Luckily there’s Google’s web version (which isn’t as nice but does serve the purpose) and, coming in time, an app as well for sure. (Only Google can be blamed for being late: we ALL knew this day was coming from Apple’s mapping purchases going back years. Google had warning.)

At the same time, imagine if Google Street View were an Apple product. Google’s problems that everyone ignores would magically be crimes against humanity:

- There would be “flaregate”—the scandal where sun flares block thousands of road signs and wash out the scene you need to see.

- Signs blocked by trees would make Apple a laughingstock in troll forums: “THIS is why this was a bad idea all along"

- Any street or neighborhood that lacked Street View or showed out-of-date imagery would be slammed.

- A huge amount of Google’s Street View is blurry, distorted, has double-images, or other artifacts. Apple would be “circling the drain under Tim Cook” for all that.

- Privacy concerns with Google (who actually DOES oppose privacy) died away. If it was Apple doing Street View, the tin foil hats would never come off.
post #88 of 153
Waiting for Microsoft to fire someone else from the Windows team in response...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #89 of 153

I love how Apple is doing its damndest to keep the negative maps PR going by firing someone new each month. You know, just when its out of the headlines each time, they go ahead and make sure to drag it back to the spotlight. How does it make sense to fire someone who's had a hand in development of maps since the beginning- wouldnt this person be in the best position to have insight into what improvements to make, etc, instead of going out and looking for something new? It's not rocket science, it just needs time and a shitload of work, not some radical new ideas. It's mapping. The fundamentals are there. Apple is just making itself look utterly incompetent and clueless by continuing to fire people and actively publicizing that they're looking for someone 'outside the company for help' making it seem as if they don't have the people or the skills to get the job done, and lowering trust in the product even more. Maps has already improved greatly since it launched, yet Apple is seemingly doing everything in its power to continue to give the perception that the product is shit. Stock has already taken a significant hit, after finally being on an upwards roll. I don't see why the people who built maps (which has great fundamentals) wouldn't be able to continue improving a task, which should be a much simpler task now. 

post #90 of 153
The software and the data are inextricably linked - you don't push an app out the door that relies on faulty data.
post #91 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, you don't know?

Trolls don't actually use Apple products. They couldn't possibly know what features they have. 

I'd rather it not die. It's one of the better ways to out people that have never used Apple products at all.

LOL. Busted!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #92 of 153
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
The software and the data are inextricably linked - you don't push an app out the door that relies on faulty data.

Guess Google should pull their maps.

post #93 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love how Apple is doing its damndest to keep the negative maps PR going by firing someone new each month. You know, just when its out of the headlines each time, they go ahead and make sure to drag it back to the spotlight. How does it make sense to fire someone who's had a hand in development of maps since the beginning- wouldnt this person be in the best position to have insight into what improvements to make, etc, instead of going out and looking for something new? It's not rocket science, it just needs time and a shitload of work, not some radical new ideas. It's mapping. The fundamentals are there. Apple is just making itself look utterly incompetent and clueless by continuing to fire people and actively publicizing that they're looking for someone 'outside the company for help' making it seem as if they don't have the people or the skills to get the job done, and lowering trust in the product even more. Maps has already improved greatly since it launched, yet Apple is seemingly doing everything in its power to continue to give the perception that the product is shit. Stock has already taken a significant hit, after finally being on an upwards roll. 

You done being positive?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #94 of 153
How are we to believe your FUD over all the other FUD?
post #95 of 153
Quote:

Correct—to a point: the way map data improves IS by software. By pushing it out the door for people to use. That’s how Google does it, and that’s how Apple will do it too. Nobody in Apple’s labs is going to know that Susan’s Diner moved a block over. User reports—and to some extent automated GPS processing (which we hope is anonymized properly)—provide the necessary info to improve and update mapping systems.

Now—where does the best user-sourced data come from?

It comes from the devices people actually have WITH them, awake and in use, when they’re out and about and noticing problems. Not their desktop or even their laptop, but their smartphone.

Which smartphones generate the most user-source data?

The ones that are actually in active use. Look at actual usage data and you’ll see that iPhone dominates. Yes, handset makers throw Android for free onto every random handset these days, and carrier stores (where Americans at least buy most of their phones) push Android over Apple. But you can’t make people USE it. Most of the mobile computing is done on iPhone, and iPhone users are the best possible source of mapping improvements. And most of them are simply going to use the pre-installed Maps app. It’s good enough--and the alternatives aren’t perfect enough to be worth the trouble for average people (as opposed to we tech-heads).

So—who has access to that data? It used to be Google receiving map improvements from iPhone users. Now they’ve lost the single best resource for keeping Google Maps current on ALL platforms, desktop included. Google’s loss is Apple’s gain: Apple now has exclusive access to user problem reports from the Maps app.

So yes, Apple SHOULD have pushed it out the door with faulty data (after all, Google is packed with faulty data too). And now they’re compiling better data while Google is left out.

Look at what Nokia just did with the Here app: by their own admission, they NEED iPhone users to improve their map data—without it, Nokia’s own phones suffer! For the same reason, expect Google to have their own app—but they weren’t smart. They’re too late, and now people are used to the fact that Apple’s Maps is actually OK. Google should have played up the media hype and “saved the day” before people ever gave Maps a chance. Too late now.

Edited by nagromme - 11/27/12 at 5:37pm
post #96 of 153

I refuse to use Google's maps until they include North Korea street view... damn pansy asses...!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #97 of 153
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
I refuse to use Google's maps until they include North Korea street view... damn pansy asses...!

I've always wondered about that. They've no problem showing secret US installations but don't even show the simplest dirt farm road in Best Korea.

post #98 of 153
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
That's because all roads in North Korea are six lane freeways, all personally paved by Kim Jong Il one sunday to celebrate his 50 under par golf round.

Why, you'd need an interocitor to be able to lay a highway that quickly…

*gasp* The North Koreans are getting help from the aliens!

post #99 of 153
wondering if they gave him a month to prove he could sort it out, and he didn't.
post #100 of 153
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post
I could be wrong but I believe you just defended Google Maps.

I'll defend it where it deserves defending and be critical of it where it deserves criticism. It's the old standard now, just as Yahoo! and MapQuest were the old standards at Google Maps' introduction. It had many errors at launch—but no more than Apple Maps did—and it has errors now. All mapping systems do, and will, and therefore the fight is in how seamlessly they do what they're designed to do. 

Apple Maps is stunning. The methods of interaction it provides and the UI through which it serves its content will become the new baseline for all future softwares in this field. Google Maps was just the same at its launch. But it got things wrong. Boy, did it ever. But if I recall correctly, Google Maps still has Apple's one-upped in transit systems. It'll be interesting to see how that changes in the near future, however.

post #101 of 153

This shall all pass.............Maps will get better as they can't really get worse. Johny Cue is more than capable of bringing great talent to Apple.

post #102 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Scott Forstall had every right not to sign the letter of apology because the issues were not caused by his software but by faulty maps data and images.  Steve Jobs would have done the same thing.

So I don't see why they are firing Scott.  His team has done an excellent job on the application.  

Even if he has issues with other managers, that is not reason to fire him.

I think Scott Forstall should be retained at Apple.

Time will tell.

You have no idea how companies work.  Forstall was in charge of iOS and he screwed it up with Maps in iOS 6.  He is ultimately responsible because he is in charge of iOS.  Forstall was ultimately responsible to make sure the lousy map data works, and it doesn't.  Apple bought outdated Map data from various companies and couldn't make it work.  Steve Jobs apologized for the mess that MobileMe was.  Steve Jobs always admitted when Apple made mistakes, and he did it publicly.  So your opinion about Steve Jobs is wrong.  Forstall's refusal to admit failure just proves what an ass he really is.  Forstall's team did a shit job on the Map app because it doesn't work with outdated data.  When someone has issues with other managers and they cannot work together, that IS a reason to be fired.  Apple doesn't need to do turn by turn navi when there are much better third-party apps that have done it for years.

post #103 of 153
Holy s**t I just only found out through this article that Scott Forstall left. I knew something felt funny at (or it was just me) Apple this past November.

BTW Nov 28 and iMac production is still jacked up.
post #104 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

You have no idea what you are talking about.  The Google Map app in iOS always had Street View.  Sounds like you had no idea how to use it.  Most iOS users got a downgrade in maps when they moved to iOS 6.  Just because you could not figure out how to use Street View, doesn't mean you can assume that everyone out there didn't use it.  Apple didn't need turn by turn navi when there were already third party apps providing the feature, and in a much better method.  Flyover is worthless eye-candy because no one travels by helicopter to see where they are going.  It is worthless.  Google has now implemented Street View into their mobile web version of Google Maps.  But I am guessing you don't know how to use that either.

post #105 of 153
Quote:

Indeed. The betas had quite shocking maps and nobody seemed to be too concerned?
post #106 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You have no idea what you are talking about.  The Google Map app in iOS always had Street View.  Sounds like you had no idea how to use it.  Most iOS users got a downgrade in maps when they moved to iOS 6.  Just because you could not figure out how to use Street View, doesn't mean you can assume that everyone out there didn't use it.  Apple didn't need turn by turn navi when there were already third party apps providing the feature, and in a much better method.  Flyover is worthless eye-candy because no one travels by helicopter to see where they are going.  It is worthless.  Google has now implemented Street View into their mobile web version of Google Maps.  But I am guessing you don't know how to use that either.

Flyover is nice because you can visualise a city in 3D and it helps in turn-by-turn. That said, it is poorly implemented in a number of cities in the US (as I understand) and around the world (eg. Melbourne, Australia).
post #107 of 153
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post
Holy s**t I just only found out through this article that Scott Forstall left. I knew something felt funny at (or it was just me) Apple this past November.
BTW Nov 28 and iMac production is still jacked up.

*confused face*

*looks at clock*

Oh, yeah, it's tomorrow where you are.

post #108 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Hmmm, I'm not liking all of these upper management/department-head shakeups lately. Too many in too short-of time period.

Indeed. Very fishy. I just found out today about Forstall (yes, I'm slipping). Need to find out about that more. The moment Forstall goes to Android, if he can fit in, Boom! (reference intended).
post #109 of 153
Quote:

*confused face*
*looks at clock*

Oh, yeah, it's tomorrow where you are.

LOL I knew that would happen and I was considering putting Nov 27. But I like my time zone... 1smile.gif
post #110 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Lets not fire everyone.
The AppStore app is exellent on iPad 3.
No lag, no stutter.
J.

It is beautiful. However the horizontal scrolling of app icons within a vertical scrolling is a bit non-useability-friendly.
post #111 of 153
Quote:

Guess Google should pull their maps.

If their data is as bad as Apple's, then yes, they should.

post #112 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/154640/apple-fires-ios-6-maps-chief#post_2237562"]Good, people need to be held accountable for their actions. If somebody is not up for the job, then get rid of them, and replace them with somebody else.

And whoever is in charge of the iOS appstore app should also be fired, because it's slow, it's laggy and when you scroll with your finger on the screen, it is jerky. That might be acceptable for an Android device, but not for any Apple device. The old app store was much better and much smoother and faster. Fire that person right away, and put somebody in charge who knows what they're doing.

This is management. Rich hasn't touched or architected the design for these products. He was responsible for overseeing the teams that do. To me this is a management shake up to clear out long-standing folks who most likely butted heads one too many times with higher ups and they parted ways.

Rich goes way back to the early days at NeXT and later came back in 2001 at Apple and led the creation of WebKit and Safari.

This isn't a lack of talent. It's a changing of direction in certain areas and I imagine Eddy with his experience directly around Steve is quite secure in recognizing when individuals who have put well over 20 years into the industry are just not committed enough to put in another 10 years.

The guy's not hurting for funds. He can go enjoy life and recharge. He'll probably create another start up.
post #113 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Could be great indeed.  I actually love opening up maps and cruising around the local mountains in 3D.  It's just that when it comes to the cities, the data is either totally f*cked up or missing entirely.  I don't miss street view as much as I thought I would either.  If they simply fixed the data (and there is oceans and oceans of bad data), and added transit directions it would all be fine for most people.  

I've been reporting errors a lot however and so far not a single one of them has been fixed.  For instance I was in Vancouver BC last week and pretty much all the data is still bad or missing.  This is a big city too, one of the largest in the country.  

Consider the only general public release is 6.01 since the initial Maps.app release I'd expect you wouldn't get bug fixes yet. Especially when Apple is focused on making a large Maps.framework available for 3rd party devs to leverage and extend its functionality.
post #114 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

It is not at all nonsensical to prefer using the same maps solution on desktop and on mobile devices.

No more nonsensical than preferring Google Maps to work on my toaster oven, I guess.

They're different devices with different functions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Show me a proper, exhaustive comparison that reports "few" significant differences between Apple Maps and Google Maps. I don't even know how one would define the comparison to begin with, and I am way smarter (and better looker) than you.

I see. So lack of a proper, exhaustive comparison doesn't prevent calling Apple's Maps terrible, but it prevents one from saying that Apple Maps are OK? Strange logic you have there.

In reality, there hasn't been a comprehensive exhaustive comparison, but there have been enough regional or local comparisons to get an idea. In each case, Apple's Maps was at least as good as Google Maps (sometimes better). The Canada comparison was reported in this thread. The China comparison (where Apple Maps was miles ahead) was reported elsewhere, as was the San Francisco comparison.

In reality, there is not a single shred of evidence supporting the widely reported claim that Apple Maps is inferior.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #115 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Snip...

User reports—and to some extent automated GPS processing (which we hope is anonymized properly)—provide the necessary info to improve and update mapping systems.

...snip

Oh no! I can see it now: privacy-gate! Head for the hills! Apple is doomed! /s

Sorry about hijacking your well-reasoned post, I couldn't resist.
Edited by AlexN - 11/27/12 at 9:37pm
post #116 of 153

But, why? I thought Apple makes the BEST mobile MAP in the world, and no one comes close to its perfection and its superb ability to navigate people with flying cars...?  It doesn't make sense...

post #117 of 153
Why is Teckstud still posting?

post #118 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Consider the only general public release is 6.01 since the initial Maps.app release I'd expect you wouldn't get bug fixes yet. Especially when Apple is focused on making a large Maps.framework available for 3rd party devs to leverage and extend its functionality.

I would have thought that changes would be incremental (e.g., on a daily basis) as database changes were committed and the DBs reloaded. But not being involved I really don't know how this would be being done, and am only guessing (based also on what others have said).
post #119 of 153
Quote:

Define problem.
Oh, like missing every single street in Cayman Islands for example? You do know that a MAP app should be global right? Not just around your house! The people of Cayman Islands had a perfectly good map WITH STREETS, and then suddenly NO MORE STREETS for them! Do you think that could be a problem?
post #120 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Oh, like missing every single street in Cayman Islands for example? You do know that a MAP app should be global right? Not just around your house! The people of Cayman Islands had a perfectly good map WITH STREETS, and then suddenly NO MORE STREETS for them! Do you think that could be a problem?

Sounds like Google Maps in China :P (Slightly larger than the Cayman Islands, and slightly less likely to get fixed any time soon, compared to Apple fixing the Cayman Islands which is a sure bet. Google Maps are limited in China compared to Apple’s new data sources. Note that I don’t fault Google for having bad relations with China—I’m on Google’s side! But the facts for users of maps remain.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

I would have thought that changes would be incremental (e.g., on a daily basis) as database changes were committed and the DBs reloaded. But not being involved I really don't know how this would be being done, and am only guessing (based also on what others have said).

You’re right—incremental changes are happening continually. People have noticed 3D buildings appearing in areas that lacked them, higher-quality Flyover in areas that had been distorted, color satellite imagery replacing black-and-white, misplaced pins moving to where they should be (I’ve seen some of that myself), etc.

That’s mapping data fed from a server, and can be updated at any time. But bugs in the app itself (and the mapping service used by third party apps) only get fixed with an OS update.

P.S. One awesome improvement with the new Maps:

I moved to iOS 6 just prior to Hurricane Sandy. My area wasn’t affected that much but there were a lot of trees and powerlines down for a day or so. The new maps marked every tree and powerline that was down, routing me around them automatically! Saved me getting stuck in some colossal traffic jams. Tap one of the icons (exclamation points) and it even said which police department had reported the blocked road. Very nice—a welcome complement to the simple dotted-line traffic indicators. And they seemed to appear (and disappear) pretty quickly when conditions changed. Not sure what public database is involved, but somehow local police data was getting to Apple’s map service in realtime. I went online to compare Google Maps and got no such detailed assistance.

And how easily people forget that the old Maps app had NO turn-by-turn guidance, and no 3D terrain (which the new Maps app has globally). It also lacked the detailed Yelp info for businesses, which I’ve found really nice for restaurant info. (And watch Yelp’s data grow massively now that iOS users are suddenly relying on it and submitting info!)

iOS 6 Maps really is 10 steps forward, 1 step back, for me—and it seems for most users. For some, it’s probably 10 steps forward and 11 steps back... temporarily. (Or in China, it’s just 20 steps forward!)

P.P.S. The Maps media ad-bait “scandal” reminds me of many (not all) Apple “scandals”: you see a LOT of people complaining on behalf of OTHER people... and relatively few complaining on their own behalf. Considering the human motivation to complain is high, the fact that I see so few personal complaints (especially non-trivial ones) about Maps bodes well. Bring on a Google app for the sake of transit and we’ll be very fortunate to be on iOS! Android’s not getting Apple’s app... and the day will come when it will be worth a lot of jealousy.

Edited by nagromme - 11/27/12 at 11:15pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple fires iOS 6 Maps chief