or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad dominates with 71% share of China's growing tablet market

Apple's iPad dominates with 71% share of China's growing tablet market

post #1 of 24
Tablet sales in China are growing at a fast pace, with Apple's iPad accounting for the lion's share of sales in the world's most populous nation.

New data from Analysis International highlighted by Reuters this week reveals that a total of 2.6 million tablets were sold in China last quarter. That was up from 1.6 million a year prior, marking a 62.5 percent increase in the third quarter.

Of those 2.6 million sales, Apple accounted for 71.4 percent. Apple's share was well ahead of the second-largest tablet maker, Lenovo, which accounted for 10.5 percent of sales.

Taking 3.6 percent of sales was China-based Ereneben, while Apple's rival Samsung came in fourth with 3.5 percent of tablet sales.

The numbers show that the tablet market in China grew faster than Apple's overall iPad sales in the same three-months pan. Apple sold a total of 14 million iPads worldwide in the September quarter, which was a 26 percent increase from the same period a year prior.

iPad mini

The numbers also suggest that Apple has an even larger share of the tablet market in China than it does worldwide. Figures that were released in June showed Apple with a 65 percent share of tablet shipments, below the 71 percent Apple accounted for in China.

Worldwide iPad sales are expected to grow considerably this quarter with the launch of the new fourth-generation iPad, as well as the smaller 7.9-inch iPad mini. Launch weekend sales earlier this month topped 3 million, and subsequent reports have said that iPad sales have been even stronger than Apple's suppliers anticipated.
post #2 of 24

Yeah, Apple's failing in China all right.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Failing upward, apparently. 1biggrin.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The numbers show that the tablet market in China grew faster than Apple's overall iPad sales in the same three-months pan.

Show me a whole year's pan, and I'll be convinced... :) Anyway, this is great news for Apple, though the total tablet sales are much lower than I would have expected for China.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #5 of 24
Since Apple is the only one with real sales numbers they could be at 100% or 90% of the market, 71% is too low.
post #6 of 24

Yeah...

That doesn't include the iPad Mini...

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #7 of 24

But...but...but... fandroids say... Android... but... but... Android tablets are superior... but... everyone iSheeps.... but...

Oh never mind.  /s

post #8 of 24

I am at COP18 in Doha, Qatar. Some 13K - 17K in attendance. Pretty much every nationality is here.

I am stunned at the amount of iPads I see in use -- I'd say, conservatively, at least a quarter of the delegates (perhaps far more).

Haven't seen a single Android tablet yet, although I've seen a reasonable number of Android phones, typically being used by delegates from LDCs. 

So I am not surprised to see this headline. Indeed, I would have expected it to be a higher proportion.

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am at COP18 in Doha, Qatar. Some 13K - 17K in attendance. Pretty much every nationality is here.

I am stunned at the amount of iPads I see in use -- I'd say, conservatively, at least a quarter of the delegates (perhaps far more).

Haven't seen a single Android tablet yet, although I've seen a reasonable number of Android phones, typically being used by delegates from LDCs. 

So I am not surprised to see this headline. Indeed, I would have expected it to be a higher proportion.

Is this the conference where nothing ever happens?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 24
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's every conference except the ones put on by Apple, I thought…

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who said they were failing in the China market? Some Android biased journalist?

post #12 of 24
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, a couple users here.

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

But...but...but... fandroids say... Android... but... but... Android tablets are superior... but... everyone iSheeps.... but...

Oh never mind.  /s

But Samsung makes Apple's processors, so Samsung is better...... But, Samsung makes washing machines and clothes driers, so Samsung is better......  But Samsung makes vacuum cleaners.....  and..... and........  They have AllShare........  But, but Samsung has a MicroSD slot...........  But, but....  Samsung has themes...........

post #14 of 24
But, but Samsung has a MicroSD slot...

People still USE this! It's just so funny.

post #15 of 24

But Samsung opened up Samsung stores........ Really?  How many?   That's not the point, Samsung has their own stores...

post #16 of 24
…Samsung has their "own" stores…

Cue the picture of the store with Apple apps on the wall behind it… 

post #17 of 24
Quote:

Who better to buy cheap Chinese knockoffs than themselves? Lol
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #18 of 24

Kasper quoted... "Of those 2.6 million (China) sales, Apple accounted for 71.4 percent... SNIP... while Apple's rival Samsung came in fourth with 3.5 percent of tablet sales."

Is this Samesung's "China Syndrome" ?

post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yep. You got it! The camel rides are nice, though....

post #20 of 24

We welcome you to the race to the bottom, to which, in the end, the only winning brands are the Chinese ones.

post #21 of 24

There's also a substantial grey market here for gadgets, particularly for Apple gear. It generally comes via Hong Kong, sometimes in suitcases, sometimes something more commercial. Anyway, Apple sold quite a few more tablets here in 3Q than the 1.85m or so being reported. Even so, 1.85m iPads (71.4% of 2.6m) is 13% of Apple's worldwide iPad sales for the same 3Q period. Grey market sales might add another point or two, maybe pushing China's share up to 15%. That's a significant chunk for any single market, and China is still poised to grow quickly and considerably for Apple. Just walking the streets of Shanghai and Beijing, it's amazing how you can see Apple products EVERYWHERE. Even with the economic slowdown, I don't think there's a better bet than the long-term success of Apple in China, and China's long-term importance to Apple.

post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambag View Post

There's also a substantial grey market here for gadgets, particularly for Apple gear. It generally comes via Hong Kong, sometimes in suitcases, sometimes something more commercial. Anyway, Apple sold quite a few more tablets here in 3Q than the 1.85m or so being reported. Even so, 1.85m iPads (71.4% of 2.6m) is 13% of Apple's worldwide iPad sales for the same 3Q period. Grey market sales might add another point or two, maybe pushing China's share up to 15%. That's a significant chunk for any single market, and China is still poised to grow quickly and considerably for Apple. Just walking the streets of Shanghai and Beijing, it's amazing how you can see Apple products EVERYWHERE. Even with the economic slowdown, I don't think there's a better bet than the long-term success of Apple in China, and China's long-term importance to Apple.
I too see this in china. Apple products are seen (like in many other countries) as a status symbol. It's a sign of wealth and prosperity to the individual. This country in particular values these social traits highly, so I have no doubt that the iPad and especially the iPad mini and iPhone 5 are going to be a huge hit. Traveling to Beijing on business 50% of the year for me, I can see this daily when there. I don't see a lot of tablets on the subways, but when I do they are iPads or other 7"er's. with the addition of the mini, I can easily see a huge increase in tablets in china. The mini will also be a huge hit mainly because personal space in public is such a premium. i recall my last trip in particular...daily commutes on the subway having other riders leaning on each other because of the sardine-can like situations at rush hour.

I think part of why these numbers are smaller than most would think (given the 1.4 billion potential users in China) is that the iPad is still out of the financial reach of many n china; however, mini is going make those sales number substantially greater. The grey market will always be there, it's unavoidable in china. A place where movie theaters are scarce and grey/black markets are everywhere, since you can download just about anything you want for free and no one has any comprehension or concern for copyright law. If its easy to get for free, why not? To them at least.
post #23 of 24
Originally Posted by fireside View Post
We welcome you to the race to the bottom, to which, in the end, the only winning brands are the Chinese ones.

Sure doesn't look like it in any meaningful way.

post #24 of 24
Best to ask who paid them for the report and what was the criteria. China has a very low average wage yet produces millions of $50 tablets. It don't quite add up and there is a much bigger story here.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad dominates with 71% share of China's growing tablet market
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad dominates with 71% share of China's growing tablet market