or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › THE GOd: Grand Old dinosaur

THE GOd: Grand Old dinosaur

post #1 of 11

Rand Paul, who infamously endorsed RINO Romney for selfish personal gain over his famous father, the libertarian and anti-war Republican candidate Ron Paul for POTUS, is now focusing his career in politics squarely on the big one for himself, that of POTUS. To hell with his father I guess. He thinks, like many, that the Republican party is so out of touch with the American people it's on the verge of extinction, so much so, that he's going on national television telling the American people that...

"I think my party, the Republican party, is shrinking. We’re in danger of becoming a dinosaur."

and...

We’re not competitive in huge areas of the country. Some of the biggest states: California, New York Illinois, we’re not competing anymore, in fact, we don’t even advertise there.

This all begs the question "Will Rand Paul make things any better for the GOP when it comes to winning back voters?"

Your thoughts?

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 11

Tea for two?

"In a Sunday roundtable discussion on NBC's "Meet The Press," Norquist issued a warning to President Barack Obama.

"Tea party two is going to dwarf tea party one if Obama pushes us off the cliff,"

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Tea for two?

"In a Sunday roundtable discussion on NBC's "Meet The Press," Norquist issued a warning to President Barack Obama.

"Tea party two is going to dwarf tea party one if Obama pushes us off the cliff,"

Dude..is the font necessary?  As for TPII....good.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dude..is the font necessary?  As for TPII....good.  

I like the font. Makes it Christmasy.

I can't help but think that the TP2 hasn't got a hope in hell of being resurrected except in the extremist ranks of a dying party. They may well stand for some virtuous ideals, but only a handful of rednecks fall for that "no taxes, GW is a left wing conspiracy" shit any more. They're an intellectual disgrace, verging on insane.

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I like the font. Makes it Christmasy.

No, it makes it annoying.  This makes it Christmas-y.  

Quote:
I can't help but think that the TP2 hasn't got a hope in hell of being resurrected except in the extremist ranks of a dying party.

Making the assumption that the GOP is "dying" is a huge mistake on your part.   

Quote:
They may well stand for some virtuous ideals, but only a handful of rednecks fall for that "no taxes, GW is a left wing conspiracy" shit any more. They're an intellectual disgrace, verging on insane.

You're just projecting a caricature from your own mind.  The Tea Party was never about "rednecks" or the elimination of all taxes.  It wasn't even about the highly suspect theory of global warming.  It is about fiscal responsibility, limited government and the restoration of the principles of our founding,  That doesn't mean I think all their candidates are great, or that there aren't some nutjobs (as there are in any movement), but your portrayal is highly inaccurate in general.  

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

....  It wasn't even about the highly suspect theory of global warming...

FYI, there's nothing "suspect" about global warming ... it's measurable and demonstrable.

What IS suspect, is whether humans have any significant impact on the process, and whether there is ANYthing we are capable of doing about it.

As for fiscal responsibility... I don't think anyone in the "Tea Party" really cares about it either... they merely use it as a talking point to try to garner support so that they can consolidate their OWN power-base.  Once "their" candidate got elected, they would have over-spent and under-taxed the same as everyone else.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What IS suspect, is whether humans have any significant impact on the process, and whether there is ANYthing we are capable of doing about it.

And whether it's WORTH doing anything about.

It is really the last two questions (whether we CAN or whether we SHOULD) that matter the most.

Quote:

Once "their" candidate got elected, they would have over-spent and under-taxed the same as everyone else.

Possibly.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

And whether it's WORTH doing anything about.

It is really the last two questions (whether we CAN or whether we SHOULD) that matter the most.

If you lived in Kiribati, or one of the other Small Island States, you would think that something SHOULD be done...

post #9 of 11
Quote:

FYI, there's nothing "suspect" about global warming ... it's measurable and demonstrable.

Yes, intelligent people understand he's referring to the theories about man-made global warming. We've been discussing this here for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groakes View Post

If you lived in Kiribati, or one of the other Small Island States, you would think that something SHOULD be done...

Move?

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Move?

Wow! Now there's an impressive degree of arrogance!

Where would you like them to move? Toronto?

Unfortunately the Small Island States will only be the first - the canaries of impact of climatic change on humans if you like. Given that greater than 60% of the world's population live either in or abutting littoral zones, that could lead to a hell of a lot of ecological refugees. And then of course there's the impact on riparian systems where large percentages of the world's food are grown. Not to mention the impact on animal life at the bottom of the marine food chain caused by ocean acidification stemming from increased levels of CO2 being absorbed into seawater (increased CO2 output plus shrinking land based carbon sinks).

Kinda weird how the Club of Rome's predictions all those years ago have, generally, fitted the curve....

post #11 of 11
Quote:

Ehh...that depends what you mean.  The climate certainly changes naturally.  That said, there really hasn't been any appreciable warming in over a decade.  Even going back a century, the amount of warming is perhaps half of one degree (and that is assuming perfect records and estimates of temp from that time period, as well as all of the past 100 years).  

Quote:
What IS suspect, is whether humans have any significant impact on the process, and whether there is ANYthing we are capable of doing about it

Agreed.  

Quote:
As for fiscal responsibility... I don't think anyone in the "Tea Party" really cares about it either... they merely use it as a talking point to try to garner support so that they can consolidate their OWN power-base.  Once "their" candidate got elected, they would have over-spent and under-taxed the same as everyone else.

I disagree.  I've not seen that at all.  The Tea Party folks are pretty pissed at what's going on with the GOP leadership right now.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › THE GOd: Grand Old dinosaur