or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tony Fadell: Recently ousted Forstall 'got what he deserved'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tony Fadell: Recently ousted Forstall 'got what he deserved'

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
In an interview with the BBC on Thursday, former Apple executive and "grandfather of the iPod" Tony Fadell said that outgoing iOS chief Scott Forstall "got what he deserved," underscoring rumblings of quiet discontent heard of the ousted exec's assertive character.

Tony Fadell
Tony Fadell shows off the Nest learning thermostat. | Source: Nest Labs


The statements came from a BBC profile of Fadell and his startup Nest, the company responsible for the Nest learning thermostat currently being sold in Apple's online store.

Fadell offered up the barb in response to a question regarding the circumstances of his departure from Apple, which Businessweek in 2011 suggested may have been due to the "explosive" climate created by a constant power struggle with Forstall.

"Scott got what he deserved," Fadell said of Forstall's departure. "I think what happened just a few weeks back was deserved and justified and it happened."

As far as Apple's future is concerned, Fadell sees the ouster as somewhat of a blessing, hinting that Forstall was causing an imbalance with the executive team's dynamic.

"If you read some of the reports, people were cheering in Cupertino when that event happened," he said, referring to the "quiet jubilation" felt by some employees when the iOS head took his leave. "So, I think Apple is in a great space, it has great products and there are amazing people at the company, and those people actually have a chance to have a firm footing now and continue the legacy Steve [Jobs] left."

The sentiment may likely be shared by other Apple execs, including Bob Mansfield, who is rumored to have agreed to return to the company as senior vice president of Technologies only after Forstall's dismissal. Mansfield retired as SVP of Hardware Engineering in June, but returned a month later as an advisor to CEO Tim Cook.

Other reports have suggested that Forstall's refusal to take responsibility for the iOS Maps flap led to his downfall.

Get Adobe Flash player
post #2 of 68
* you Fadell. Those grapes sour enough for ya? Then again who knows what the heck is going on in Apple nowadays with all the dirty laundry pouring out like a tsunami of filth.

Android is looking better and better each day, in a sad and twisted turn of events.

I get now why former Apple enthusiasts are "bi-curious" regarding Apple.
post #3 of 68
Er... Of corse they are. Apple is doomed.
post #4 of 68

I am still hoping Tim Cook changes his mind and retains Scott Forstall at Apple.

The fact of the matter is that Forstall and his team have delivered an extraordinary operating system in iOS release after release and he was not responsible for the iOS Map issues. Apple needs a Steve Jobs junior and a controlled Forstall would be a great asset for Apple.

 

I think Tony Fadel holds grudges and that's his problem to deal with.

 

Time will tell.

post #5 of 68

You sir have come across as delusional.

What's a controlled Scott Forstall? You don't even know what the heck went down.

post #6 of 68
Huh? He certainly got what he deserved. He screwed up two major product launches and worse, was a disruptive influence on the board. A bit more realism and a little less glassy eyed love needed here.
post #7 of 68
I'm just thankful that the above commenters don't have employment at Apple, otherwise the company would definitely be doomed.
post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I am still hoping Tim Cook changes his mind and retains Scott Forstall at Apple.
The fact of the matter is that Forstall and his team have delivered an extraordinary operating system in iOS release after release and he was not responsible for the iOS Map issues. Apple needs a Steve Jobs junior and a controlled Forstall would be a great asset for Apple.

I think Tony Fadel holds grudges and that's his problem to deal with.

Time will tell.

Bingo.
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

You sir have come across as delusional.

What's a controlled Scott Forstall? You don't even know what the heck went down.

A controlled Scott Forstall is a brilliant engineer assigned to a position where he can not clash with other managers and his talent can be harvested.

 

Like I said, temperament aside, his team delivered the first winner version of iOS and several solid releases afterwards and he was not responsible for the iOS map issues.  The year is not over yet and I hope he stays at Apple like Bob Mansfield was retained after he decided to retire.

 

Time will tell.

post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

A controlled Scott Forstall is a brilliant engineer assigned to a position where he can not clash with other managers and his talent can be harvested.

Like I said, temperament aside, his team delivered the first winner version of iOS and several solid releases afterwards and he was not responsible for the iOS map issues.  The year is not over yet and I hope he stays at Apple like Bob Mansfield was retained after he decided to retire.

Time will tell.

The thing is there are quite a large number of executives (10-20) that are only now coming out of the woodwork. Part of Steve's genius was to, indeed, "sequester" them in such a way not to rub against others particularly if they were incompatible, and channel their energy in such a laser-focused and pure fashion.

Only now with those fighting over the scraps, as it were, do we see Steve's management skills. And probably why he got cancer with the stress load of dealing with such a wide variety of incredibly talented yet strong-willed upper-level and other-level staff.

The amount of creative energy being wasted on all this infighting is why we've seen quite a bit of disturbing sloppiness at Apple this past few months.

It's not promising, to be honest.
post #11 of 68

just a hater, no cred

post #12 of 68
"...Only now with those fighting over the scraps, as it were, do we see Steve's management skills. And probably why he got cancer..."

Good grief, given the way SJ so easily handed out abuse and stressed people out, how many people do you reckon SJ 'inflicted with cancer'?
post #13 of 68
Geez, I wonder what Forstall did to generate so much hate. Was he that big of a jerk?
post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

A controlled Scott Forstall is a brilliant engineer assigned to a position where he can not clash with other managers and his talent can be harvested.

Like I said, temperament aside, his team delivered the first winner version of iOS and several solid releases afterwards and he was not responsible for the iOS map issues.  The year is not over yet and I hope he stays at Apple like Bob Mansfield was retained after he decided to retire.

Time will tell.
And how do you know Forstall would accept a position like that? From everything I've read it seems he was trying to amass a lot of power (especially when Steve was on medical leave and after he died). I doubt he'd take some position like that when he probably felt he deserved to be CEO.
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

A controlled Scott Forstall is a brilliant engineer assigned to a position where he can not clash with other managers and his talent can be harvested.

 

Like I said, temperament aside, his team delivered the first winner version of iOS and several solid releases afterwards and he was not responsible for the iOS map issues.  The year is not over yet and I hope he stays at Apple like Bob Mansfield was retained after he decided to retire.

 

Time will tell.


It would be hard to have a "controlled" Forstall with all the money and success that he has.  He should be the captain of his own ship.  With a constant demand of proven talent in silicon valley, I would not be surprised to see him have the opportunity soon.  He should take his time to evaluate the opportunity during his gardening leave.

post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilly View Post

just a hater, no cred

Indeed. Guy that makes thermometers complains about guy that made iPhone. Go figure.
(Obviously I am being highly facetious here, but you get my gist...If needed I will eat my shoe if/when the truth is revealed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Geez, I wonder what Forstall did to generate so much hate. Was he that big of a jerk?

Now THAT is the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

"...Only now with those fighting over the scraps, as it were, do we see Steve's management skills. And probably why he got cancer..."
Good grief, given the way SJ so easily handed out abuse and stressed people out, how many people do you reckon SJ 'inflicted with cancer'?

Perhaps some people. The question is was the price worth it for what Apple delivered in the past 10 years, karma-wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And how do you know Forstall would accept a position like that? From everything I've read it seems he was trying to amass a lot of power (especially when Steve was on medical leave and after he died). I doubt he'd take some position like that when he probably felt he deserved to be CEO.

I wonder if Forstall was making a CEO play. Because if he did that would make him really ambitious, maniacal perhaps. If not, maybe others were threatened by him. Wow, a real mystery this one.
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

I wonder if Forstall was making a CEO play. Because if he did that would make him really ambitious, maniacal perhaps. If not, maybe others were threatened by him. Wow, a real mystery this one.
No doubt in my mind that he thought he was the heir to Steve. And probably felt he deserved to be CEO. But the question is, if Scott was THE guy, how come Steve didn't recommend Scott as his replacement? I also find it interesting that we've never really heard anything bad about the other SVP's. No stories about Schiller or Ive or Mansfield being jerks that are difficult to work with, or taking credit for other people's work while shifting blame on to others etc. And not many (if any) stories from former employees or "insiders" defending Forstall.
post #18 of 68

From a commenter on Mac Rumors regarding Scott's ouster:

 

Quote:
Reminds me of when Steve Jobs was kicked out of Apple then came back....hhhhmmmm maybe he will be apples savior in the future
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

From a commenter on Mac Rumors regarding Scott's ouster:
Just curious why you think Scott is another Steve Jobs?
post #20 of 68

Probably the less said the better. Tony should keep his opinions on Scott to himself, there is nothing to gain kicking the guy when he's down.

 

If Tim feels that it was time for Scott to go, then it probably was. I have no doubt that Scott made many important contributions to Apple, but at the same time, you need to play well with others. I don't want to see other talented and key individuals leave Apple because of one guy.

 

My personal feeling is iOS was starting to feel a bit dated. Not just in the UI design, but also functionality. I'm not in favour of changing things up "just because", but there are always areas that can be improved upon or useful new features to add. What did we get? Realistic note pages, leather and green felt and a half-baked maps app. Uhm... Not what we wanted. (For the record, I like the Maps app - it's worked fine for me, but for some others it's been a disaster.)

post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I am still hoping Tim Cook changes his mind and retains Scott Forstall at Apple.
The fact of the matter is that Forstall and his team have delivered an extraordinary operating system in iOS release after release and he was not responsible for the iOS Map issues.

Forstall might not be solely to blame for Maps as much of it was data nd Tom Tom et al are equally if not more culpable there.

But he was in charge of iOS 6 in general and it was NOT up to Apple quality at release. Sure it had lots of pretty faux buttons with shadows that moved when you tilt your device. But it also had a major bug that bricked wifi completely on a noticeable amount of iPhone 4 and 4s phones, there's still a serious and noticeable flaw with track skipping in Music, numerous folks had their cell data charges go up as much as 5 fold because the devices were saying they were using wifi and they weren't. Sound was getting bricked on numerous devices. And so on. And THAT was Forstall's fault as QC from his team is part of his position. But he was too busy with the cute to be bothered.

Add to this the reports that he was a total jerk who wouldn't take feedback from anyone, including Tim Cook, that he had no issue with being critical and condescending to everyone that didn't kiss his ass because he was at NeXT with Jobs 'back in the day', had no respect for Tim Cook etc even though jobs picked them because Forstall thought he could do much better and apparently had no issue with sending emails to his team blasting said other folks.

Well it's easy to see how Forstall was viewed at not enough of a super genius to let him get away with being an asshat (hey even
Steve Jobs was will to take feedback and loved folks challenging his options if they could firmly back up the opposing view). And unlike some others, Fadell was at Apple with Forstall and would have seen his attitude first hand so while making the comment might be tacky and hit fodder to get mentions of Newt out there at least he's not as totally off base as asking some ex exec that hasn't been in the company since Jobs was kicked out

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Probably the less said the better. Tony should keep his opinions on Scott to himself, there is nothing to gain kicking the guy when he's down.

Absolutely.

First, Tony doesn't know why Scott was fired - he was long gone by then.

Second, he apparently holds a grudge against Scott, so his opinions are biased.

Finally, there's absolutely nothing to be gained and potentially a great deal to be lost in badmouthing former co-workers. You never know when you might need to work with them again. You also don't earn respect from potential partners by badmouthing people you used to work with.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

A controlled Scott Forstall is a brilliant engineer assigned to a position where he can not clash with other managers and his talent can be harvested.
.

There might be no such place at Apple. Controlling him etc would mean kicking him out of a leadership position but if the reports are even half true, he won't take comment or instruction from anyone which means he's not going to accept being in any position with someone over his head. Which might be what Cook tried to do, wanting to move Ive into his current role putting him as 'Forstall's boss' and giving Ive power to veto the cute crap Forstall was so fond of adding rather than focusing on QC with the base functions and so on. Forstall may have said no way, as he reportedly despises Ive for getting all the attention and for disliking the skeuromorphic touches as unneeded nonsense. Forstall may have been told his choices were this shift or he could stay until the release of iOS 7 as an advisor to give comment with no vote and then be gone all together and he choose the latter (which would allow him to be around for his bigger stock grant next summer)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Geez, I wonder what Forstall did to generate so much hate. Was he that big of a jerk?

Apparently yes.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Geez, I wonder what Forstall did to generate so much hate. Was he that big of a jerk?

I was thinking that watching the video. Fadell really made that tough for the interviewer and made it clear he didn't want to talk about it. 3 separate times he was asked about it and he just reiterated about Scott getting what he deserved.

The fact he references an online rumour suggests he doesn't have inside info but he's bound to keep in contact with some of the other Apple staff.

It's a bit cryptic but there are probably hundreds of little events that took place for the other execs to have that impression of Forstall and it wouldn't be worth their effort recounting them to everyone else.

There's no way we could determine if Apple will be better off with or without him. The highest profile staff will know better than anyone and they seem to think it will be better so as of 2013, he's gone. Serlet, Rubinstein, Steve and Fadell are all gone from the company and it has survived pretty well so far. Maybe the upper management don't actually do that much work. When they start laying off their engineers in droves, then we should worry.
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post


It would be hard to have a "controlled" Forstall with all the money and success that he has. 

Exactly what success has Forstall had, on his own. Yes he's had some nice work come out of his time at Apple but he did not do that alone. And he has been more or less captain of his own ship with iOS and at least this year blew it hard. He rammed that ship into the iceberg head on. Not just Maps but major flaws all over the dang thing. Some of which still aren't fixed.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #27 of 68
I recently got the chance to chat with a couple of people who've worked with Forstall. They said that he was a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Everyone hated him and eventually lost all respect for him - and it's that loss of respect that's key. No-one ever lost their respect for Jobs.
post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I was thinking that watching the video. Fadell really made that tough for the interviewer and made it clear he didn't want to talk about it. 3 separate times he was asked about it and he just reiterated about Scott getting what he deserved.

Fadell likely came to that interview to talk about Nest, not Apple which he likely does have inside info on. His answer was an attempt to end that thread without dragging out all the gory details or seem like an ass himself by refusing to say anything (which would probably still be dragged into any articles etc).

Basically he was doomed no matter what

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier Wave View Post

I'm just thankful that the above commenters don't have employment at Apple, otherwise the company would definitely be doomed.

... and I always wonder what would have happened had Apple let that other obnoxious prick stay rather than the sugar water salesman.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

What did we get? Realistic note pages, leather and green felt and a half-baked maps app. Uhm... Not what we wanted.

You mean not what YOU wanted. You haven't been granted the royal we to declare your opinion as universal, so please don't.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Absolutely.
First, Tony doesn't know why Scott was fired - he was long gone by then.
Second, he apparently holds a grudge against Scott, so his opinions are biased.
Finally, there's absolutely nothing to be gained and potentially a great deal to be lost in badmouthing former co-workers. You never know when you might need to work with them again. You also don't earn respect from potential partners by badmouthing people you used to work with.

Actually, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Tony does know exactly why Scott was fired, assuming he still has friends and contacts back at Apple.

post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


Forstall might not be solely to blame for Maps as much of it was data nd Tom Tom et al are equally if not more culpable there.
But he was in charge of iOS 6 in general and it was NOT up to Apple quality at release. Sure it had lots of pretty faux buttons with shadows that moved when you tilt your device. But it also had a major bug that bricked wifi completely on a noticeable amount of iPhone 4 and 4s phones, there's still a serious and noticeable flaw with track skipping in Music, numerous folks had their cell data charges go up as much as 5 fold because the devices were saying they were using wifi and they weren't. Sound was getting bricked on numerous devices. And so on. And THAT was Forstall's fault as QC from his team is part of his position. But he was too busy with the cute to be bothered.
Add to this the reports that he was a total jerk who wouldn't take feedback from anyone, including Tim Cook, that he had no issue with being critical and condescending to everyone that didn't kiss his ass because he was at NeXT with Jobs 'back in the day', had no respect for Tim Cook etc even though jobs picked them because Forstall thought he could do much better and apparently had no issue with sending emails to his team blasting said other folks.
Well it's easy to see how Forstall was viewed at not enough of a super genius to let him get away with being an asshat (hey even
Steve Jobs was will to take feedback and loved folks challenging his options if they could firmly back up the opposing view). And unlike some others, Fadell was at Apple with Forstall and would have seen his attitude first hand so while making the comment might be tacky and hit fodder to get mentions of Newt out there at least he's not as totally off base as asking some ex exec that hasn't been in the company since Jobs was kicked out

 

News flash:  in order to be in senior management of most dynamic companies like Apple, you have to have a strong personality.  You have to have strong opinions and a certain amount of overall leadership ability to rally people to want to work for you and execute your ideas.  It's not that Scott Forstall is a jerk...there's probably plenty of them at Apple and other companies.  It's the fact that he played the political game poorly over time.  At the Sr. VP level at Apple, you pretty much run a vast organization on your own that is a viable company in its own right.  All of Apple's Sr. VPs think that they could run Apple if Tim Cook decided to retire.  But the questions the board has to ask themselves are, "Who has the unique skills to be CEO" and "Who would the rest of the management team want to work for?"  Forstall might have the skills for the top job.  I figure someone soon is going to give him that chance once his Apple contract expires.  But it was clear that the number of senior executives who wanted to work in a Scott Forstall regime were few, mainly because Scott wasn't good about playing in proverbial sandbox with the rest of them.

 

At the end of the day, the executive that can truly be a jerk and treat people like Forstall was alleged to have done is only the founder of the company.  Just think about the personalities of the founders of some of the tech industry's most successful companies...most of them are/were supreme jerks too.  But that's hard to get away with when you are not the founder.  Tim Cook and the board had a real problem here.  Keep Forstall who by all accounts is an extremely talented executive with a lot of success to his credit.  Or begin a leadership exodus that began with Tony Fadell and looked like it would continue with other executives like Bob Mansfield and who knows who else.  Apple's strength is in the core of its leadership team and Jobs could convince people to put up with a lot of crap to work for him.  With Jobs gone, executives were probably openly saying, "Do I really have to put up with Scott when I've turned down lots of CEO positions to work at Apple?"

 

On a side note, it looks like if Tony Fadell is giving interview in the U.K. that a Nest for European countries can't be far off.

post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


You mean not what YOU wanted. You haven't been granted the royal we to declare your opinion as universal, so please don't.

Okay, point taken. Based on the outcry, MANY people wanted a better iOS with fewer bugs, that was moving forward over Scott's version of a "prettier" iOS. I am not the only one to say this, so it's NOT just me.

 

Edit: At the end of the day Charlituna, I think that you'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE who feels that the addition of realistic note paper, leather and green felt takes precedence over fixing existing bugs, performance and usability issues or the addition of innovative new features. That was really what I was saying, but feel free to slap my wrists anyway, I can take it.


Edited by Bilbo63 - 11/29/12 at 7:26am
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Just curious why you think Scott is another Steve Jobs?

 

Because he was basically the "mini me" of Steve Jobs. Even bought the exact same car as Steve...

 

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/scott-forstall-the-sorcerers-apprentice-at-apple-10122011.html

post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Okay, point taken. Based on the outcry, MANY people wanted a better iOS with fewer bugs, that was moving forward over Scott's version of a "prettier" iOS. I am not the only one to say this, so it's NOT just me.

I can't remember... was that outcry #256 or outcry #257. There's been so many of them lately that it's hard to keep track of them all.

The damage done...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

There might be no such place at Apple. Controlling him etc would mean kicking him out of a leadership position but if the reports are even half true, he won't take comment or instruction from anyone which means he's not going to accept being in any position with someone over his head. Which might be what Cook tried to do, wanting to move Ive into his current role putting him as 'Forstall's boss' and giving Ive power to veto the cute crap Forstall was so fond of adding rather than focusing on QC with the base functions and so on. Forstall may have said no way, as he reportedly despises Ive for getting all the attention and for disliking the skeuromorphic touches as unneeded nonsense. Forstall may have been told his choices were this shift or he could stay until the release of iOS 7 as an advisor to give comment with no vote and then be gone all together and he choose the latter (which would allow him to be around for his bigger stock grant next summer)
Forstall probably hated Ive because of how close Ive was to Steve. Lets not forget when Steve was demoing the iPhone the first call he made was to Ive, not Forstall. Same with the first FaceTime call. Plus Steve told Walter Isaacson his spiritual partner at Apple was Ive, not Forstall (or anyone else).
post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No doubt in my mind that he thought he was the heir to Steve. And probably felt he deserved to be CEO. But the question is, if Scott was THE guy, how come Steve didn't recommend Scott as his replacement? I also find it interesting that we've never really heard anything bad about the other SVP's. No stories about Schiller or Ive or Mansfield being jerks that are difficult to work with, or taking credit for other people's work while shifting blame on to others etc. And not many (if any) stories from former employees or "insiders" defending Forstall.

Because certainly Forstall was not ready. I've always said he's very likely the one but not immediately. Maybe Forstall got antsy or others got threatened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just curious why you think Scott is another Steve Jobs?

His keynote presentations, for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I recently got the chance to chat with a couple of people who've worked with Forstall. They said that he was a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Everyone hated him and eventually lost all respect for him - and it's that loss of respect that's key. No-one ever lost their respect for Jobs.

If this is true, then maybe Forstall got ahead of himself and had to reap the consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Forstall probably hated Ive because of how close Ive was to Steve. Lets not forget when Steve was demoing the iPhone the first call he made was to Ive, not Forstall. Same with the first FaceTime call. Plus Steve told Walter Isaacson his spiritual partner at Apple was Ive, not Forstall (or anyone else).

Forstall is mentioned many times in early 00's Apple keynotes by Jobs. Of course, Ive is the most closest compatible dude to Steve, others no doubt would have been jealous about this. As for Phil, he's probably the most loyal companion Jobs had in terms of marketing, demos, presentations, and probably a ton of other stuff. Ive is visionary and on a different plane to others (usually for the better) while Phil is dyed-in-the-wool breathe-Apple-sleep-Apple kind of guy. So as for Forstall, hmm... sounds like things kinda imploded. If what people say is true, big If.
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Forstall probably hated Ive because of how close Ive was to Steve. Lets not forget when Steve was demoing the iPhone the first call he made was to Ive, not Forstall. Same with the first FaceTime call. Plus Steve told Walter Isaacson his spiritual partner at Apple was Ive, not Forstall (or anyone else).

Definitely sounds like a love triangle. How bromantic.

... but if Apple is going to keep anyone happy it better be Ive. Otherwise they are Cooked!
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

* you Fadell. Those grapes sour enough for ya? Then again who knows what the heck is going on in Apple nowadays with all the dirty laundry pouring out like a tsunami of filth.
Android is looking better and better each day, in a sad and twisted turn of events.
I get now why former Apple enthusiasts are "bi-curious" regarding Apple.

 

Is that you Scott?  

post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Definitely sounds like a love triangle. How bromantic.
... but if Apple is going to keep anyone happy it better be Ive. Otherwise they are Cooked!

"Cooked"... I see what you did there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tony Fadell: Recently ousted Forstall 'got what he deserved'