or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases redesigned iTunes 11 with iCloud integration for Mac, Windows

Apple releases redesigned iTunes 11 with iCloud integration for Mac, Windows

post #1 of 106
Apple on Thursday released the highly anticipated iTunes 11, a complete overhaul of the media playing and purchasing suite featuring tighter integration with its iCloud service.

iTunes 11

iTunes 11 features new library views, a revamped miniature player, "Up Next" for queuing new songs in a playlist, and iCloud playback syncing of media. The update can be downloaded for OS X through the Mac App Store.

Apple has boasted that the new iTunes has a "dramatically simpler player, a redesigned store, and iCloud features you'll love." Features of the software, according to Apple, include:
  • Completely Redesigned. iTunes makes it more fun to explore and enjoy your music, movies, and TV shows. You'll love the beautiful edge-to-edge design, custom designs for each album, movie or TV show in your library, and getting personal recommendations any time you click In the Store.
  • A New Store. The iTunes Store has been completely redesigned and now features a clean look that makes it simpler than ever to see what's hot and discover new favorites.

iTunes 11

• Play purchases from iCloud. Your music, movie and TV show purchases in iCloud now appear inside your library. Just sign-in with your Apple ID to see them. Double-click to play them directly from iCloud or download a copy you can sync to a device or play while offline.
  • Up Next. It's now simple to see which songs are playing next, all from a single place. Just click the Up Next icon in the center display and they'll instantly appear. You can even reorder, add, or skip songs whenever you like.

iTunes 11

• new MiniPlayer. You can now do a whole lot more with a lot less space. In addition to showing what's playing, MiniPlayer now includes album art, adds Up Next, and makes it easy to search for something new to play ? all from a smaller and more elegant design.
  • Improved search. It's never been easier to find what you're looking for in iTunes. Just type in the search field and you'll instantly see results from across your entire library. Select any result and iTunes takes you right to it.

iTunes 11

• Playback syncing iCloud now remembers your place in a movie or TV show for you. Whenever you play the same movie or episode from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Apple TV, it will continue right where you left off.
post #2 of 106
Huh. Not going to be an early adopter of this one ... Check back in a week or two and if all goes well with others ...
post #3 of 106

Pass.  I'll upgrade when I have too.  I have too many AppleScripts relying on the current version, and no time to update them.

post #4 of 106

I was hoping they might include an iBooks reader in this version, but, alas, no.

post #5 of 106
Seems really confusing to me so far in terms of showing what's in the cloud, what's not etc. I think a lot of users will have trouble with this release.

When I log into my account for instance my "purchased" list shows nothing (!) but clicking on my local library shows everything that's been purchased since it's actually showing a blended view of local and cloud based stuff.

When I click "videos" again it shows none of my cloud purchases, but shows a blended view of what's locally on my computer and the videos that happen to be loaded on my iPad which is connected to the computer. These videos (the ones on the iPad) are presented with an iCloud icon supposedly indicating they are in the cloud, when in fact they are not, they are just on my iPad.

Waaay confusing so far.
post #6 of 106
I sure hope that this fixes my wireless syncing issues. I have to keep reinstalling iTunes because my MacBook Air will no longer sync wirelessly in Mountain Lion with my iPhone 5.

Reinstalling it fixes the problem for a few days, then it goes back to giving me error messages and saying that the device cannot be found.
Edited by Mazda 3s - 11/29/12 at 10:49am
post #7 of 106

The update is not showing up for me.  I opened iTunes and then went to "Help" and "Check for Updates."  It tells me that "This version of iTunes (10.7) is the current version."  I also went to www.itunes.com and it is showing 10.7 as the latest version.  I must be missing something?

post #8 of 106

Hmmmm, where is coverflow? I love that view.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #9 of 106

This felt like a complete downgrade. The list of songs looks worse, as does every other bit of text. The whole app is just blurry.

post #10 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

This felt like a complete downgrade. The list of songs looks worse, as does every other bit of text. The whole app is just blurry.

Are you using a retina MacBook? All looks fine on my 27" iMac

post #11 of 106
When I pull up the forums on my iPad I get a stupid mobile site and when I click on the desktop version link I get an error message. What the hell AI!?!
post #12 of 106

Does anyone else have retina Macbook pro and no retina icon in the Dock? What´s up with this?

post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When I pull up the forums on my iPad I get a stupid mobile site and when I click on the desktop version link I get an error message. What the hell AI!?!

Simply click on the Apple (top left of your screen) and click on software updates....

Oh, unless you are a poor unfortunate soul who is stuck with a PC?

post #14 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Are you using a retina MacBook? All looks fine on my 27" iMac

Nope, 13" MBA.

post #15 of 106

I can not see more than one playlist at once. This makes it very difficult to sort my library in a more ... sophisticated way. This is the first time I would like to change to another platform with more pro options. There no floating windows????

post #16 of 106
I like the design of it but I wonder if it's too conceptual for the typical user. Meaning, when you are in one section the average user might find it harder to figure out how to get to a different area.

Certain aspects seem faster but getting too much beach balling with syncing and downloading of items.

edit: Added the Side Bar back via View in the Menu Bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I was hoping they might include an iBooks reader in this version, but, alas, no.

That would be nice. At least an OS X update that allows it to be opened up by Preview the way PDFs stored in iTunes can.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #17 of 106
Is this finally a 64-bit binary?
post #18 of 106

I think this looks like a great improvement but I haven't played with it that long. I have no problem seeing my purchased items in my 'account view', though it would be nice to be able to select how many purchases to view at a time, and also be able to select what kind of purchases. 

I find the new layout immediately more friendly and logical and much less cluttered.  I like the new lighter shade of gray 'look' and wonder if this is a little piece of Ive that's snuck in. I'd like to think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Seems really confusing to me so far in terms of showing what's in the cloud, what's not etc. I think a lot of users will have trouble with this release.
When I log into my account for instance my "purchased" list shows nothing (!) but clicking on my local library shows everything that's been purchased since it's actually showing a blended view of local and cloud based stuff.
When I click "videos" again it shows none of my cloud purchases, but shows a blended view of what's locally on my computer and the videos that happen to be loaded on my iPad which is connected to the computer. These videos (the ones on the iPad) are presented with an iCloud icon supposedly indicating they are in the cloud, when in fact they are not, they are just on my iPad.
Waaay confusing so far.
post #19 of 106
titusm View Post

I can not see more than one playlist at once. This makes it very difficult to sort my library in a more ... sophisticated way. This is the first time I would like to change to another platform with more pro options. There no floating windows????

View menu > Show Sidebar

As for floating windows: Whenever a movie character puts on a thousand-yard stare and says, "I'm not going back to prison," that's how I feel about Winamp.

kjacobi View Post
Listen Sparky, I need ya for a gig. Waddy you do come out there in a silly suit and do back flips? juggle shit? What do you do?

No one else was confused by this? ok cool peace out ai

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #20 of 106
Should I wait until 11.0.1?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 106
I will not be an early adopter (this is mission-critical like my OS, practically) but the demos and screenshots look awesome. At first glance it SEEMS so simple (a good thing normally) that the power I loved must be gone... and then you drag something and the targets you need appear! Very slick. More powerful, if anything, judging by the keynote demo.

Love the new Mini Player%u2014I hadn%u2019t used it in ages, and now I will again.
post #22 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberhar View Post

Is this finally a 64-bit binary?

Yes!

post #23 of 106
Really like the new layout/options.
post #24 of 106

So here are some of your questions answered.

1. For those wanting no iCloud, go to View -> Hide ___ in the Cloud

- It can be on/off for each category (music, movies, etc.)

2. It is not "confusing" know what it's in the cloud or not... there's an image of a CLOUD. If you have any content that is partially downloaded (1 song of 12) on your computer, it'll show up as local but when you open the cd it'll show the local content in brighter text than iCloud content (dulled out).

3. The app is not "blurry", don't be ridiculous. Unless you have retina(can't vouch), you're messing w/ yourself.

4. For playlists... again, click View -> Show Sidebar

Seriously people, I've spent 60 seconds w/ this new iTunes and figured out all of your "problems"... jeeze, how about you LOOK for some things.

Edit: this iTunes is showing up at 64bit in Activity Monitor :)

post #25 of 106

Absolutely LOVING the new iTunes. After getting used to it, doing things is just so much more intuitive, quicker, and logical. The interface is also infinitely nicer and cleaner, as is manually moving content to iDevices, making new playlists, etc. Fantastic update and much needed improvements. I now enjoy using iTunes, unlike previously when I abhorred it. The interface is now so well thought out. 

Edited by Slurpy - 11/29/12 at 11:33am
post #26 of 106

"Early adopter" concerns for an iTunes release?  Really??

LOL

post #27 of 106
Quote:

Maybe you should see a doctor. Blurred vision can be symptomatic of a number of health issues.

post #28 of 106

Looks great to me! And so far I don't miss the sidebar.

post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

View menu > Show Sidebar

As for floating windows: Whenever a movie character puts on a thousand-yard stare and says, "I'm not going back to prison," that's how I feel about Winamp.

No one else was confused by this? ok cool peace out ai

Sorry you misunderstood me. Can you tell me how I can see two or more open playlists at once? Please. Lets say you want sort a 20 new songs into one of your 100 playlists. You need to see a few lists with their songs in full order. There are in fact reasons why floating windows or split windows can be helpful.

post #30 of 106

Visit the "View" menu.

*Show* what you want to see, and you can make it look pretty much the same as before. Sidebar can be shown as well. 

No big deal, really. 

post #31 of 106
"Steve Jobs would never..." post in this thread in 5, 4, 3, 2...

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 106
Quote:

Looks like they changed the font over to Helvetica, instead of the old Lucida Grande I believe. OS X's rendering of Helvetica uses more anti-aliasing than the screen-optimized Lucida Grande, so perhaps that's why you feel it looks "blurry."

Personally, it doesn't look blurry to me, the Helvetica rendering looks quite crisp, although it's admittedly not quite as instantly legible as the old Lucida Grande, so I sort of get what you mean there. It does have a bit of a softer, laid back feel, looks less like a computer interface and more like a magazine rendering.

post #33 of 106
Still no support for AVI or MLV containers regardless of the codec.
The iTunes video player still doesn't do the FF the way QTX does.
When you important a video it still doesn't understand what type it is based on the length and title.

post #34 of 106

Looks great on my 2008 24" iMac. In fact it looks better than great, it's AWESOME!

post #35 of 106

I'm digging it, looks awesome. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #36 of 106
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Still no support for AVI or MLV containers regardless of the codec.

Of course not.

The iTunes video player still doesn't do the FF the way QTX does.

DEAR SWEET MOTHER OF FRICK I HATE THIS SO MUCH. This is quite possibly the least "Apple" setup that Apple offers.

When you important a video it still doesn't understand what type it is based on the length and title.

That's asking a little much, though. You could have a short film anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes, and that's certainly not a TV show. And you can have a TV show (special) two hours long. 

My THREE* complaints (so far) about the new things:

1) I can't find how to make album artwork bigger. I enjoyed large album artwork before.

2) I think it's really neat that they use an algorithm to find the two most used colors on artwork and assign the background and track numbers/play time to the first and second most prevalent, respectively. My only complaint is that they should also add in a color difference check that sees how far apart these colors are in brightness, fudging the darkness a little if they're not far enough apart.

Oh, and you occasionally get something eye-gouging, but I don't think they should change that:

3) Anyone see how to stop TV shows from merging? I like having separate clickables per season, particularly since I have different artwork for each.

*I suppose I'll keep incrementing this number… lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #37 of 106

Dammit, no more cover flow.  

post #38 of 106
Just curious from those who have installed it....
I see all of these pictures above, but nothing showing the view where it has a column browser. Did they make everything graphical now, or is there the traditional view anywhere?

Gosh, I hope it's not gone. They've made one helluva mess since Steve (GRHS) passed away. Safari's "Integrated Search Bar" where if I type just 'apple', it searches for apple instead of auto-completing to apple.com. iOS Maps. Opening Pages/Preview/TextEdit takes me to a muddled dialog box making me choose between iCloud and On My Mac before I can start with a new document. I really thought Steve had been more involved in creating a clear pipeline and direction before he passed, but one thing after another leave me questioning whether Apple has any leadership capable of making decisions by clear executive oversight instead of committees and subcommittees.
post #39 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Huh. Not going to be an early adopter of this one ... Check back in a week or two and if all goes well with others ...

This is not mobile app, you can always uninstall
post #40 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

Just curious from those who have installed it....
I see all of these pictures above, but nothing showing the view where it has a column browser. Did they make everything graphical now, or is there the traditional view anywhere?
Gosh, I hope it's not gone. They've made one helluva mess since Steve (GRHS) passed away. Safari's "Integrated Search Bar" where if I type just 'apple', it searches for apple instead of auto-completing to apple.com. iOS Maps. Opening Pages/Preview/TextEdit takes me to a muddled dialog box making me choose between iCloud and On My Mac before I can start with a new document. I really thought Steve had been more involved in creating a clear pipeline and direction before he passed, but one thing after another leave me questioning whether Apple has any leadership capable of making decisions by clear executive oversight instead of committees and subcommittees.

You can click on songs and it will list your columns.  I assume that's what you mean.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases redesigned iTunes 11 with iCloud integration for Mac, Windows