or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11

First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11 - Page 5

post #161 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

Well you can't really get more uncluttered than a screen sized view of just the album cover 1wink.gif

It is an improvement over this feature in previous versions: it changes with the songs and controls superimpose over it when you move the mouse. But it's in a window, not screen sized, and it doesn't replace a nice song or album view with basic info (Title, Album, Artist, etc.)

Some view options for Album and song views that can be made full screen are missing. Currently you only have the grid view in album and the list view for song and can only change the sort order. One nice thing about Cover Flow was that it was like flipping through Albums or CDs.

It's rather odd that Cover Flow, named for album covers and originally introduced for iTunes is available in any finder window, but not in iTunes anymore.

post #162 of 241

How To Rollback Your iTunes:

Might be a non-issue to some, but to ME not having the artwork preview on the bottom left is a game breaker. Makes ZERO sense as to why Apple would remove that option, it's such a small part of iTunes that it couldn't have hurt them to leave it in, but it is used by many-many people. Soooo... if anyone wants to rollback to the previous iTunes, I found them here for Windows ONLY - be sure to pick the right bit version x64 or non (x32):

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

Lastly, you must have the older version of this file or the older version won't open after install: iTunes Library.itlThankfully I backed up my old iTunes folder and still have my version 10 files and just replaced the '.itl' file from iTunes 11... everything works great and I have my artwork preview again.

I'll download iTunes 11 or 11.x or 12 if/when they add the artwork preview back, otherwise I'll stick with v10 as long as I can.

post #163 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Might be a non-issue to some, but to ME not having the artwork preview on the bottom left is a game breaker. Makes ZERO sense as to why Apple would remove that option, it's such a small part of iTunes that it couldn't have hurt them to leave it in, but it is used by many-many people. 

I'm intrigued. What did "many-many people" use the artwork preview on the bottom left for?

post #164 of 241
I could be wrong but it seems that thy took an alright music library management tool and made it about nothing more than buying more stuff, and media asset management is now secondary...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #165 of 241

NOTHING FOR ME. Here are the reasons:

1- Most important. I have 1862 books or documents on my iPad (epub and pdf). I regularly delete some and fill in with new. The new iTunes does not allow me to seek among the books in the iPad, it always seeks in the library of the Mac. To understand what I'm saying let's say I have a book called "New iTunes sucks" that I have on my hd and want to transfer to iPad (iBooks). Now I cannot check to see if the book is already on the iPad. This is a real game killer for me because I have over 23.000 books/documents on my hd that I may, at some point, want to transfer to the iPad.

2- As mesomorphicman mentions in his comment, the missing icon preview forces me to take extra steps in order to change the album/book cover, This is an issue because I have almost a terabyte of such files. Practically all the songs I transfer from my CD collection have no cover art.

3- After I start playback I always minimize the player. It takes very little space on my 13" screen.In  iTunes 10 it was possible to change the volume from the mini player. The new mini player lost this and now shows a tiny pic of the album cover. Wow, if I was 16 I would probably be ecstatic about this rubbish. 

I could go on but the above 3 issues kill iTunes 11 for me. Moreover, I'm afraid I will not be able to upgrade to the next OS (10.9) because it will install some future version of iTunes 11. So serious are the above mentioned issues.

Also I am very angry at Apple's attitude towards me as i customer. It should allow me to change back to the previous version if I'm not satisfied. As it is I had to look and find version 10 on the internet. It was not easy to find. Then I re-installed mountain Lion. What happened was that the OS was re-installed but it kept iTunes 11 !!!. There was no other way to get back to 10 but use time machine and restore the whole system as it was 2 months ago when I made the last backup. Writing this makes me extremely angry and frustrated. I BOUGHT OS10.8 so I PAYED for iTunes 10 which was included. Why am I not allowed to use it if I want to?

It is another thing if a software has bugs and another thing to submit to an almost fascist dictate from Apple on how to use your hardware/software.

I am a very disappointed customer ( exclusively Mac user since 1987).

post #166 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapienssapiens View Post

NOTHING FOR ME. Here are the reasons:

1- Most important. I have 1862 books or documents on my iPad (epub and pdf). I regularly delete some and fill in with new. The new iTunes does not allow me to seek among the books in the iPad, it always seeks in the library of the Mac. To understand what I'm saying let's say I have a book called "New iTunes sucks" that I have on my hd and want to transfer to iPad (iBooks). Now I cannot check to see if the book is already on the iPad. This is a real game killer for me because I have over 23.000 books/documents on my hd that I may, at some point, want to transfer to the iPad.

2- As mesomorphicman mentions in his comment, the missing icon preview forces me to take extra steps in order to change the album/book cover, This is an issue because I have almost a terabyte of such files. Practically all the songs I transfer from my CD collection have no cover art.

3- After I start playback I always minimize the player. It takes very little space on my 13" screen.In  iTunes 10 it was possible to change the volume from the mini player. The new mini player lost this and now shows a tiny pic of the album cover. Wow, if I was 16 I would probably be ecstatic about this rubbish. 

I could go on but the above 3 issues kill iTunes 11 for me. Moreover, I'm afraid I will not be able to upgrade to the next OS (10.9) because it will install some future version of iTunes 11. So serious are the above mentioned issues.

Also I am very angry at Apple's attitude towards me as i customer. It should allow me to change back to the previous version if I'm not satisfied. As it is I had to look and find version 10 on the internet. It was not easy to find. Then I re-installed mountain Lion. What happened was that the OS was re-installed but it kept iTunes 11 !!!. There was no other way to get back to 10 but use time machine and restore the whole system as it was 2 months ago when I made the last backup. Writing this makes me extremely angry and frustrated. I BOUGHT OS10.8 so I PAYED for iTunes 10 which was included. Why am I not allowed to use it if I want to?

It is another thing if a software has bugs and another thing to submit to an almost fascist dictate from Apple on how to use your hardware/software.

I am a very disappointed customer ( exclusively Mac user since 1987).

For #1, Click on Devices. you can then browse to the various sections like Books to see what's on the actual device. You can also search from the device view. (Edit: Scratch that..the search field is there but doesn't seem to function on the device view). You can set the column sorts in iTunes and that sort setting syncs to the device though.

For #3, you can always use your volume keys.

I haven't found an easy workaround yet for #2 other than Command + I to get to the album art.

Edited by DJRumpy - 12/1/12 at 5:45am
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #167 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I just love this view. It's clean, crisp, and really lets me focus on just the artist I want. Yeah, it was there before, but this whole overall look is actually very inviting. 

Is there any way to tighten that list on the left? I don't need the artwork there at all, and I don't need triple spacing between artist names. I want to see more artists, and less white space!!!!

post #168 of 241

I haven't read the whole thread, but here's a few quick comments.

1) I don't like the thin-bezel at the top of the window. The top of the window provides a grab point for moving the window around. And a place to quickly glance to see info about the window - for Safari it is the title of the web page. For iTunes it could be the currently playing song.

2) What do Command-Up Arrow and Command-Down Arrow do? They move you to the top or bottom of a window. But not in iTunes - it changes the volume. This is very annoying when viewing a page in the store.

3) Why does the "Library" button at the right side of the button bar have a down arrow letting me select the section of my library to jump to, but the "iTunes Store" button does not have a similar drop down menu to jump to a section of the store?

Apple REALLY needs to get back to having Human Interface Guidelines and following them. Back in the day, one of Apple's selling points was that all its apps looked and worked the same. They have lost that corporate memory. IMHO, they really need a UI Czar to go in and slap the developers around to get back to doing consistent, clean user interfaces.

Apple users used to be able to point and laugh at Windows users with their mish-mash of keyboard shortcuts and window layouts. No more.

- Jasen.

P.S. I played around with the Mac App Store, too. Its row of buttons goes right to the top of the window - bad. And if you grab the window in the grey top part it moves - unless it's a space between the buttons that is a click target, then it does nothing. There's NO visual cue that the space you're grabbing is any different than any other part of the top border. UI fail1oyvey.gif

post #169 of 241

For #1, Click on Devices. you can then browse to the various sections like Books to see what's on the actual device. You can also search from the device view. (Edit: Scratch that..the search field is there but doesn't seem to function on the device view). You can set the column sorts in iTunes and that sort setting syncs to the device though.

I haven't found an easy workaround yet for #2 other than Command + I to get to the album art.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your response DJRumpy. But I never ever sync anything automatically. I do everything manually so that I have full control (and understanding of what's happening). Also using the volume keys is not an option because I need to always have the Mac volume at maximum (for some reason that's not relevant to this discussion).

Commant+1 is of course a solution but it is an extra step.

I can see from other comments that there is a way for PC users to get back to version 10. That this is not possible on a Mac makes me even more angry at Apple.

post #170 of 241
Quote:

Thanks for your response DJRumpy. But I never ever sync anything automatically. I do everything manually so that I have full control (and understanding of what's happening). Also using the volume keys is not an option because I need to always have the Mac volume at maximum (for some reason that's not relevant to this discussion).
Commant+1 is of course a solution but it is an extra step.
I can see from other comments that there is a way for PC users to get back to version 10. That this is not possible on a Mac makes me even more angry at Apple.

You can uninstall on a Mac as well. If its not in this thread, you can find it with a few quick searches, but it does require that you have a backup of your old iTunes library files. I'll see if I can find it.
post #171 of 241
See the third comment here for help falling back.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4554853?tstart=0

Make sure you back up your playlists first before falling back. You can use Doug's scripts, or use the Export function to back up an XML export of your playlists.
Edited by DJRumpy - 12/1/12 at 6:31am
post #172 of 241
Quote:

I'm intrigued. What did "many-many people" use the artwork preview on the bottom left for?

If you used list views (the only practical view in my mind if you have a large library), it is the only way to see and enjoy the artwork. It gave you an instant recognition of what was playing (or selected) and vice versa it anchored a visual to the songs you were listening to. And, in particular for podcasts, it provided a place for a link to further on the web about what was playing at the moment (different links possible for each chapter).

post #173 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You can uninstall on a Mac as well. If its not in this thread, you can find it with a few quick searches, but it does require that you have a backup of your old iTunes library files. I'll see if I can find it.

Just, restore both the application and the library from a backup and you have the old version back.

post #174 of 241
Quote:

Are you being sincere or another sarcastic AI jerk who thinks he knows more than everyone else or just 'cuz someone uses/wants something he doesn't it's then invalid? I'm intrigued. I and others (there is a growing string of comments about this one issue on Apple Support Communities) use the artwork window as a nice visual aid to our music collection. As I said "might be a non-issue to some, but to ME" it is!! I and others spend a lot of time putting artwork for each song not just each album/CD. I like to put artwork for each released single or photos of the music artist themselves, so when the songs play I see different photos/artwork. Seeing the same album photo for every song bores me. So, not having this artwork display as was previously available is a bummer. As a music collector I grew-up enjoying to look at the artwork and read linear notes on each 12" vinyl single/album and later CD I purchased, same thing.

Edited by mesomorphicman - 12/1/12 at 8:39am
post #175 of 241
Quote:

Are you being sincere or another sarcastic AI jerk who thinks he knows more than everyone else or just 'cuz someone uses/wants something he doesn't it's then invalid? I'm intrigued. I and others (there is a growing string of comments about this one issue on Apple Support Communities) use the artwork window as a nice visual aid to our music collection. As I said "might be a non-issue to some, but to ME" it is!! I and others spend a lot of time putting artwork for each song not just each album/CD. I like to put artwork for each released single or photos of the music artist themselves, so when the songs play I see different photos/artwork. Seeing the same album photo for every song bores me. So, not having this artwork display as was previously available is a bummer. As a music collector I grew-up enjoying to look at the artwork and read linear notes on each 12" vinyl single and later CD single I purchased, same thing.

If it's just the current tune artwork, click the image next to the timeline at the top center and you'll get a separate window with the iTunes artwork, which can be moved around, resized, etc.

post #176 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Where did iTunes DJ go? I loved that one!

The DJ wanted to much money......

Just joking.

Here's what I suggest.

Go through the app and find out what you want to have added and then go to

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

And let Apple know what you want.  If enough people submit the same idea, then maybe they'll add it.

post #177 of 241

Betting Apple is being swarmed with suggestions, but useful and erm..colorful ;) lol

post #178 of 241

To see what was playing or was selected without having to play it. Pretty simple.

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post
If you used list views (the only practical view in my mind if you have a large library)…

That's completely nonsensical.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #179 of 241
Quote:

Just click on the little album cover to the left of the progress bar at the top of the screen and the album artwork will appear to resize as you wish. In playlists this will change with each song.

That opens it in a separate window. Where are you going to put that extra window on a 11 or 13" screen? Make the main iTunes window smaller so you can place it next to the main window? And the square album art window will then float on top of whatever you have in the background (either the Desktop or other applications' windows). Not very appealing aesthetically particular since the one of the main points of this iTunes update was to provide a cleaner look.

Alternatively, you can place the square album art window where it used to be, in the lower left corner if you re-enable the sidebar (since incidentally that is a place that is usually empty unless you have a lot of top-level playlists). But than click on anything in the main iTunes window and the artwork is hidden again behind the main windows.

In Songs or Playlists view the album art is now de-facto demoted to the tiny thumbnail at the top.

post #180 of 241

Quote:

If it's just the current tune artwork, click the image next to the timeline at the top center and you'll get a separate window with the iTunes artwork, which can be moved around, resized, etc.

Then the song has to be playing, I want to see artwork without having it play. Plus that center image is one more step/click I don't want to and feel I shouldn't have to do, also it creates another window to manage/move. In previous iTunes it was a lot simpler and easier. I'm happy with my rolled back v10, v11 has a few nice additions/features but it's not a must have to me. Thanks for the comment, appreciated.

Edited by mesomorphicman - 12/1/12 at 8:58am
post #181 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's completely nonsensical.

What is nonsensical about that? That I prefer lists to find the stuff I want to listen to? I can quickly scan a compact list much faster than a grid of artwork and I can scroll through a compact list much faster than through a grid of artwork. And if you browse your playlists, you currently have no artwork to see at all.

post #182 of 241
That I prefer lists to find the stuff I want to listen to?

That zero visual differentiation in a single list of tens of thousands of items would be "easier" to navigate than something visually differentiated and split, I guess. 

post #183 of 241
Quote:

What is nonsensical about that? That I prefer lists to find the stuff I want to listen to? I can quickly scan a compact list much faster than a grid of artwork and I can scroll through a compact list much faster than through a grid of artwork. And if you browse your playlists, you currently have no artwork to see at all.

I can't agree more. I'm surprised that people with large libraries can use anything but the list views, but to each his own. At least they can fall back to an older version until or if such a time as Apple puts those bits back.

post #184 of 241
Quote:

That zero visual differentiation in a single list of tens of thousands of items would be "easier" to navigate than something visually differentiated and split, I guess. 

Sorry, humans are pretty good at finding names in an alphabetically sorted list. And the more compact the list the faster I can scroll to the letter I am looking for. In album view how long will it take you scroll to the letter K for example vs. how long will it take you to scroll to the letter K in a list view?

post #185 of 241
In album view how long will it take you scroll to the letter K for example vs. how long will it take you to scroll to the letter K in a list view?

Far less time, as there are multiple items on a horizontal rather than one per horizontal.

post #186 of 241
Quote:

Far less time, as there are multiple items on a horizontal rather than one per horizontal.

But the items are larger (in album view) and you often might have more than one item per artist, it takes 50 page downs in album view to go through my library and 45 in Songs view.  But more importantly you have much more visual distraction if what you are looking for is just a letter (eg, K). Say, you look for a band that starts with "Kids", in list view you type 'kid' and in the artist 'quadrant' you'll see maybe a list of 10 to 20 artists, you'll home in in a split second on the name you are looking for. In albums or artists view, there is much more spacing and much more distracting artwork around that artist title you are looking for.

post #187 of 241
Quote:

Are you being sincere or another sarcastic AI jerk who thinks he knows more than everyone else or just 'cuz someone uses/wants something he doesn't it's then invalid? I'm intrigued. I and others (there is a growing string of comments about this one issue on Apple Support Communities) use the artwork window as a nice visual aid to our music collection. As I said "might be a non-issue to some, but to ME" it is!! I and others spend a lot of time putting artwork for each song not just each album/CD. I like to put artwork for each released single or photos of the music artist themselves, so when the songs play I see different photos/artwork. Seeing the same album photo for every song bores me. So, not having this artwork display as was previously available is a bummer. As a music collector I grew-up enjoying to look at the artwork and read linear notes on each 12" vinyl single/album and later CD I purchased, same thing.

I was being completely sincere. The Album covers in list view were sufficient for me to use as aide-memoir and I always had the artwork in the bottom left corner hidden as I saw no use for it, so yes, I was intrigued to know how others used it. Now that the artwork is no longer in list view I'll probably use Artist view when I'm browsing and Songs when I'm searching. Since I asked the question on here I have discovered that there is a large number of people bemoaning the fact that bottom corner artwork and cover-flow are now missing. I do wonder how many others there are like me who didn't use it and haven't even noticed its disappearance. 
Like you, I too like to have artwork for all of my library, but most of my collection is CD downloads of albums rather than singles and I'm happy with the artwork supplied by the artists. And I too grew up enjoying looking at my vinyl album/single covers and reading the sleeve notes, I still do it now with the CDs I buy, but only for the first few plays. After that I just listen to the music.

Having said all that, I don't listen to music much on my iMac. My main use of iTunes is as a library to get my CDs onto my iPod Classic which is constantly playing in its docking soundbar when I'm home or in my ears when I'm out. Incidentally the iPod Classic still features Cover-flow, but I don't often use it on there either.

post #188 of 241
Quote:

Sorry, humans are pretty good at finding names in an alphabetically sorted list. And the more compact the list the faster I can scroll to the letter I am looking for. In album view how long will it take you scroll to the letter K for example vs. how long will it take you to scroll to the letter K in a list view?

No time at all in either view; I just click and drag the scroll bar until I reach the letter I want.

post #189 of 241
Quote:

[…] (Edit: Scratch that..the search field is there but doesn't seem to function on the device view).

Search field usage is goofy (for me) in the device view.  It can't be deselected (with Sidebar hidden) once it it's been selected unless you're in the "On This <device>" pane.  Input will show non-device library search results if "Search Entire Library" is enabled.  Otherwise the background text always seems to display "Search Playlist", never showing results for any input.

Other issues I've noticed:

- Unlike previous updates, this one messed up sort order in some manually sorted playlists, which unfortunately includes the largest. irked.gif  Plenty of column widths could use resizing in certain views, but that's always a tedious ongoing hassle.   The combination of automatic (un)hiding scrollbars and this UI makes it tougher than ever adjusting the far right column with max width that avoids horizontal scrolling.

- Playlists can only be used as drop targets when they're in the full unhidden Sidebar and not in the limited Music > Playlists pane's sidebar. So, a hidden Sidebar means losing the convenience of dropping content on non-active playlists.

- Item selection retention is less predictably useful when switching between different views/panes.  And it's too often difficult or impossible to visibly locate current input focus, which has become an increasing issue with OS X apps in general.  Much time is wasted with extra keyboard/mouse/trackpad activity just to ensure focus is where it's expected it to be.

post #190 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

1) I don't like the thin-bezel at the top of the window. The top of the window provides a grab point for moving the window around. And a place to quickly glance to see info about the window - for Safari it is the title of the web page. For iTunes it could be the currently playing song.

2) What do Command-Up Arrow and Command-Down Arrow do? They move you to the top or bottom of a window. But not in iTunes - it changes the volume. This is very annoying when viewing a page in the store.

3) Why does the "Library" button at the right side of the button bar have a down arrow letting me select the section of my library to jump to, but the "iTunes Store" button does not have a similar drop down menu to jump to a section of the store?

Apple REALLY needs to get back to having Human Interface Guidelines and following them. Back in the day, one of Apple's selling points was that all its apps looked and worked the same. They have lost that corporate memory. IMHO, they really need a UI Czar to go in and slap the developers around to get back to doing consistent, clean user interfaces.

Apple users used to be able to point and laugh at Windows users with their mish-mash of keyboard shortcuts and window layouts. No more.

- Jasen.

P.S. I played around with the Mac App Store, too. Its row of buttons goes right to the top of the window - bad. And if you grab the window in the grey top part it moves - unless it's a space between the buttons that is a click target, then it does nothing. There's NO visual cue that the space you're grabbing is any different than any other part of the top border. UI fail1oyvey.gif

[Composing inline quoted replies with this post editor is a )(*&@#$ PitA!  Must find a way to disable it…]

Re:

1) The combination of menu/button styles, plus the not-context-dynamic-enough cloud icon, below the bottom bezel looks weird to me.  Actually looks cleaner in the iTunes Store.

2) Keyboards I currently use support Fn-Left/Right Arrow for Home/End and Fn-Up/Down Arrow for PageUp/PageDown.

3) I vaguely remember noticing an iTS button submenu in some context but can't find it again now.

P.S. Reminds me of using trackpad scrolling on item lists, with (dis/re)appearing scrollbars making it tougher to identify the scroll target, within an iTS page and accidentally scrolling backward/forward a page instead.  Botch!

And I couldn't agree with you more about Apple sorely needing a UI Czar.  The lack of attention to details that previously mattered seems increasingly obvious and irritating.

post #191 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post

:

- Unlike previous updates, this one messed up sort order in some manually sorted playlists, which unfortunately includes the largest. irked.gif   Plenty of column widths could use resizing in certain views, but that's always a tedious ongoing hassle.   The combination of automatic (un)hiding scrollbars and this UI makes it tougher than ever adjusting the far right column with max width that avoids horizontal scrolling.

- Playlists can only be used as drop targets when they're in the full unhidden Sidebar and not in the limited Music > Playlists pane's sidebar. So, a hidden Sidebar means losing the convenience of dropping content on non-active playlists.

- Item selection retention is less predictably useful when switching between different views/panes.  And it's too often difficult or impossible to visibly locate current input focus, which has become an increasing issue with OS X apps in general.  Much time is wasted with extra keyboard/mouse/trackpad activity just to ensure focus is where it's expected it to be.

I rarely mess with the manual playlists these days. I switched to smart lists and just use comment fields for search criteria when genre isn't enough. Plenty of rough edges they need to iron out apparently. Fortunately, with my workflow, the changes that impacted me were minor with workarounds.
post #192 of 241
Quote:

No time at all in either view; I just click and drag the scroll bar until I reach the letter I want.

Typing the first letter(s) of what you're searching for (in supported views) can make it even quicker.

post #193 of 241
Quote:

2) Keyboards I currently use support Fn-Left/Right Arrow for Home/End and Fn-Up/Down Arrow for PageUp/PageDown.

Lol. I've been looking for these shortcuts! They need to do a better job of advertising these. Command + # is good for switching library categories.
post #194 of 241

Once I start typing an artist or song to search on, if I control-click on the "Show 'search term' in Music" banner in the drop down menu, iTunes 11 instantly crashes, every time.

post #195 of 241
Quote:

I rarely mess with the manual playlists these days. I switched to smart lists and just use comment fields for search criteria when genre isn't enough. Plenty of rough edges they need to iron out apparently. Fortunately, with my workflow, the changes that impacted me were minor with workarounds.

I mostly use smart playlists (close to 150 of 'em, yikes) but regular playlists are still useful for certain, usually more temporary, purposes,

So far the sorting mixup on my largest manually sorted playlist is my biggest issue because of how much time I'd put into that.  It's not serious enough to try reconstructing and easier to forget than other irrecoverable content (e.g. non-metadata) loss might be.

I've been looking for these shortcuts! They need to do a better job of advertising these.

Help > Keyboard Shortcuts could be more pervasive, accurate, and complete.

Command + # is good for switching library categories.

And # got larger with more categories in primary iTunes library.

post #196 of 241
Quote:

Help > Keyboard Shortcuts could be more pervasive, accurate, and complete.

How funny that you can use a software product for years and still find something new. I've always just relied on the displayed shortcut keys in the menus themselves.

post #197 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcelotWreak View Post

Once I start typing an artist or song to search on, if I control-click on the "Show 'search term' in Music" banner in the drop down menu, iTunes 11 instantly crashes, every time.

Consistently reproducible here.

post #198 of 241
Quote:

I was being completely sincere. The Album covers in list view were sufficient for me to use as aide-memoir and I always had the artwork in the bottom left corner hidden as I saw no use for it, so yes, I was intrigued to know how others used it. Now that the artwork is no longer in list view I'll probably use Artist view when I'm browsing and Songs when I'm searching.

For a lot of people, album art in a list is taking up too much space and is distracting when scanning a list. I am very much a visual person but if there are too many visual cues, it makes is harder for me to find things. So, I like album art but not for searching or browsing, it is just not efficient for me. But once a song is playing album art adds to the sensual experience.

post #199 of 241

I like this new version a lot. It's clean and fast. Of course it's slightly different than the old version--that's what makes it new!

post #200 of 241
Quote:

Thanks for your response DJRumpy...Also using the volume keys is not an option because I need to always have the Mac volume at maximum (for some reason that's not relevant to this discussion).

Then use cmd-up and cmd-down to adjust the volume.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11