or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Surface Pro to start at $899 for 64GB model

Microsoft Surface Pro to start at $899 for 64GB model - Page 3

post #81 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And isn't it another $150 or more for the keyboard?

Yeah. MS charging people 150 bucks to turn their 900+ dollar "tablet" into a "laptop". And they say Apple overcharges…
post #82 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

I actually like windows 8. I don't say nice things about Windows very often, but I actually like what Microsoft has been doing lately.

Has Microsoft been doing you lately?

Oh, and everything MS DOES IS LATE.
post #83 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Everybody. They are really quite nice and fast -- the performance is the same as a MBP (which I am typing on) for the price of an Air. The browser works the same as on the Air, and Office works better (through no fault of Apple's, it has to be said). Adobe suite is a year ahead of the Mac version (at least -- thanks, Steve (blessed be his name, etc)) Mathematica and Matlab are identical. Xbox play is nice, if you like that sort of thing.

"Everybody" is buying Ultrabooks? even assuming you don't mean that literally - which would be ultra absurd - you must have missed the news: 

Ultrabook sales forecast slashed in half for 2012

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/ultrabook-sales-forecast/index.html

and here:

"Since the Oct. 26 launch of Windows 8, consumer notebook and desktop sales in the U.S. have fallen 21% compared to the same period last year, said Baker. Laptop sales were down even more -- 24% year-over-year -- while desktop numbers were off considerably less, just 9%."

https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9234145/Windows_8_brings_zero_pop_to_consumer_PC_sales

at best, truth is Ultrabooks are a niche market, and a niche ain't "everybody" by any stretch of the imagination. even if you include Apple's laptops within that definition.

PS later: let's look at the whole "ultra" laptop category, combined figures for both Windows Ultrabooks and all the Mac laptops. they all run on Intel chips, and basically, they're all the higher-end laptops. i Suppli is projecting about 10 million Windows Ultrabook 2012 sales, and Apple is on track to sell over 15 million OSX laptops this year. which gives Apple about 60% of this overall "ultra" market.

good luck with that "everybody" thing. some alternate universe?

Edited by Alfiejr - 11/29/12 at 9:24pm
post #84 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookie Howsre View Post

The Surface is DOA before arrival. A tablet PC that costs twice as much as a PC laptop with half the specs and Windowz 8. That's a formula for success.

actually, the proper term for this is "stillborn."

post #85 of 120
HAHA PHIL...
post #86 of 120
Just what is the job that these Surface tablets are supposed to do… The RT Surface or the Pro Serface… I don't now!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #87 of 120
It sounds like its a low end laptop, then they ripped the keyboard off, replacing it with a touchscreen wanted a fancy keyboard to make the thing usable but wanted more money soon instead of a $400 laptop with similar specs went to a $800 tablet with similar specs, so it added up is
=
70% tablet 30% laptop equalling worst tablet and still bottom 10% of laptop.
I know they are just following there first try yet its price and comparison to other devices creates a loose loose situation, Price point is low yet they could have a 32gb at $700 to atleast grab a ok market because for laptops at the market I expect
=
Price==laptop==========tablet
=
$100==old reused=======about 2 years old =====================slightly used
==========features varying on both=====
$200==slightly used======ebook, simple
======very low end======tablet
======varys===========5-7 inch screen
=====================8-16 gb
$300==low end/ lightly used=low/mid range
======7-10 inch screens==Apple quality is +
======32-200 gb========7-8 inch======
======some ports is +====16 gb-32g=====
$400==low side of mid range=low/mid range=
======9-13 inch screens==Apple is +
======64 gb-400gb======16gb-64gb=====
======some ports is +====7-9 inch=======
======cellular truly is here for both========
$500==midrange=========Apple is +
======9-15 inch screens==mid range======
======100gb-700gb======16gb-128gb===
======some ports is+=====7 to 10 inch===
======================cellular=======
$600==Midrange=========highend=======
=====10-17 inch=========Apple is +=====
=====150gb-700gb=======16gb-128gb===
=====some ports are+=====10 inch======
$700==mid/highend========highend====
=====11-17 inch==========10-11 inch===
=====200-800gb==========32-128gb====
=====some ports are plus===Apple is +
====================cellular for rest of p.
$800========highend for both==========
====11-17 inch===========10-12 inch==
=====200gb-1TB==========64-128 gb==
===========ports + on both===========
======================apple is +====
$900========highend for both=========
=====11-13 inch==========10-12 inch==
=====200 gb-2tb==========64 to 128 gb=
==========ports on both=============
$1000==highend for both==============
=====11-(18 inch for rest of page)=======
======100 gb-2.5 tb=======Tablets column =====+ for apple==========now ending.
==========ports on both==(no longer mentioned==========================
=====(Now skipping $1100) model=======
$1200===highend(no longer mentioned)===
======13 inch-
======200gb-3TB
=+ for spple(till further noticed not mentioned)
$1300===13-inch==200gb-(3TB till end)===
$1400===15-inch==300gb-===
$1500===15 inch==300gb-===
$1600===13 inch==300gb===
$1700===13 inch==500gb===
$1800===13 inch==600gb===
$1900===13 inch==600gb===
$2000===15 inch==600 gb
$2100====15 inch=500 gb
$2200===15 inch =600 gb
$2300====15 inch=700gb
$2400===15 inch=800 gb
$2500===17 inch=1 tb
=I'm done
It took me a while yet here it is a special chart of a expectantly made through many company's giving this impression, user of a gateway desktop, Hp laptop, IPhone 5, previously using IPhone 4 and 3 years ago a dell, finding apple computers 3 times as old than a three year old windows product, still more advanced/faster/easier.
Now I am a true Apple fan thinking of getting IPad getting some MacBook, and a little bit about a IMac, was thinking Apple TV but have lost interest, I do not want a Hp, gateway, or Dell again(all replaced by Apple hopefully, yet a steeper price is behind apple, yet has reasoning so there's controversies, like I love the thought to have a optical drive but with a apple $80 one, the computer is already hard to hit so either $100 worth of disk go by or another $80 plus a computer $$.
post #88 of 120

With regard to the iPad's storage size, it really wouldn't be a horrible idea to go 32-64-128, at least on the 9.7" size.  It would further differentiate it from the iMini, especially when/if it also gets a RD.. and then there's the fact that there would be more room for storing things.. things bought in the App and iTunes stores.

everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
post #89 of 120
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post
I use the iPad for a lot more than just streaming, emailing and surfing so a 16 Gb version would be pretty useless.

So do I. Your point is what? I can get about 30 movies on mine (first-gen 64, so maxes at 720). Thousands of high-res pictures. Countless songs. Dozens of apps, multiple gigabytes each. And huge books. 

If you use it for whatever light, you wouldn't even need internal storage beyond the OS. The iPad is meant to be actually used as a computer.

But regardless of what you use it for it has the same memory limitation as the 64 Gb surface that people are ragging on.

Except you can actually use the space in the iPad instead of half the space being taken up by the OS. But of course you're ignoring this because you couldn't care less about having all the facts; same as in the use case of a 16 GB iPad.

post #90 of 120
Zzzzzzzzzz
post #91 of 120
Quote:

Everybody. They are really quite nice and fast -- the performance is the same as a MBP (which I am typing on) for the price of an Air. The browser works the same as on the Air, and Office works better (through no fault of Apple's, it has to be said). Adobe suite is a year ahead of the Mac version (at least -- thanks, Steve (blessed be his name, etc)) Mathematica and Matlab are identical. Xbox play is nice, if you like that sort of thing.

Really? Where's your evidence? Have you used a Surface Pro?

It is very unlikely that it's going to have the performance of a MacBook Pro (unless you're referring to a 5 or 6 year old MBP which would not be a very useful comparison).

First, no one has yet reported the clock speed of the i5 in the Surface Pro. Second, it lacks a dedicated GPU. Finally, we don't know what limitations are placed on its performance by either the software or hardware designers to try to save battery power. And, of course, after 2 hours when the battery dies, it has infinitely less performance than the MacBook Pro which has several times the battery life.

Please stop making unsupported assertions about performance.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #92 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I like ms, but windows 8 blows. Worst decision ever. I'll keep win 7 as long as possible then switch to osx because I refuse to use 8

That seems a little extreme. If you're otherwise happy with Windows, just turn off all the silly tiles and eye candy and Windows 8 can be made to operate just about like Windows 7.

Of course, if you do that, there's no advantage to Windows 8 over Windows 7, but if history is any guide, you'll likely find Windows 8 to be the default shortly and not have much choice. Given the choice between changing platforms (which involves a lot of expense and hassle) and simply turning off the features you don't like, the latter is a lot easier.

Of course, the Mac offers a lot of advantages, anyway, so if Windows 8 is simply the spark that gets you to switch, that's a different story.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #93 of 120
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #94 of 120
Quote:

I wonder how much she got for that tweet...

Yeah. Oprah endorsing Surface... LOL. As much cred as Amy Winehouse endorsing rehab centres (RIP Amy!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That seems a little extreme. If you're otherwise happy with Windows, just turn off all the silly tiles and eye candy and Windows 8 can be made to operate just about like Windows 7...

Hence why bother with Windows 8.
post #95 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

This from someone still using a G4? You are in a distinct minority.

Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to change that. Im actually running a MBPro early 2011 model now. Im running Mountain Lion.
post #96 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookie Howsre View Post

Has Microsoft been doing you lately?
Oh, and everything MS DOES IS LATE.

Better late than never:-)
post #97 of 120
I believe a 64GB iPad has 57GB available for user files. Which, I assume, means that a 16GB iPad DOES have half the space reserved.

The gibibyte/gigabyte schism is still in effect. Account for that, too.

post #98 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's *already* DOA, but this time in a more expensive version. 

Bravo, Microstupid. Maybe your *next* CEO (if there ever will be one any time soon) will actually have vision that is less than 3 years out of date, and more than 5 feet beyond his personal space. 

But then the TV ads wouldn't show lots of kids doing a Monkey Dance while holding a Surface. Without Monkey Boy where would Microstupid turn for such genius in marketing DOA products?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #99 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Yeah. Oprah endorsing Surface... LOL. As much cred as Amy Winehouse endorsing rehab centres (RIP Amy!).
Hence why bother with Windows 8.

Lol... you missed the "twitter for iPad" part.

post #100 of 120
Quote:

I remember when I bought the iPad 1 -- I really had hopes that I would stop lugging the laptop around. Never happened, now I carry both (well, not the iPad 1, but you know what I mean, as well as an iPhone). I am sure so do many of the rest of the people here, and this is the problem MS has tried to solve. Their solution may not be great, but they are right that there is a problem.

Actually, there isn't a problem, there's the misconception that there's a problem, and the Surface is an ill conceived solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If you thought the iPad was going to replace your laptop, you misunderstood both the iPad and your work. If you think the Surface is going to replace your iPad and your laptop, you're still confused about what they and you do. The Surface is a bastardized, hybrid device that will be a crappy laptop and a crappy tablet, not working well as either.

They've already cut orders for the RT by half, and they may not even sell what they make. The Pro sales will be even more anemic. Beyond that, Windows Phone is just waiting to have the ventilator removed, and Windows 8 desktop will be a failure on a scale that will make Vista look like a glowing success. Not even Ballmer will survive the coming maelstrom in Redmond.

post #101 of 120
As for the Surface, did you read my post? I am not saying that the surface is the solution (or the good solution, anyhow), but hopefully, someone somewhere will come up with one.

Apple already did. And will have for everyone else once their 13" and 15" iPads are released.

post #102 of 120
Quote:

Why don't you think there is a problem? Do you LIKE carrying several devices around? As for the Surface, did you read my post? I am not saying that the surface is the solution (or the good solution, anyhow), but hopefully, someone somewhere will come up with one.

That's like saying there's a problem because a spoon and a fork can't always be used interchangeably. Sure, it's easier to carry around just a spork (or runcible spoon), but it doesn't work as well for eating soup or salad.

Then again, if you're only having salad, you don't need a spoon anyway. The problem is that you are having soup and salad, and thought you could eat it with a fork. The spork isn't going to work much better for you, but your insisting on using it anyway.

Edited by anonymouse - 11/30/12 at 9:21am
post #103 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just what is the job that these Surface tablets are supposed to so… I don't now!
Haven't you seen the ad?
They can be used instead of precussion with all this awesome keyboard clicking and kickstand flapping.
The future will present hundreds of Surface Pro Combos.
LOL
post #104 of 120
That price point is astoundingly bad.
post #105 of 120
Quote:

Well, maybe not everybody. But the machines are nice.

yeah, maybe like only the 40% of everybody that wants an ultra something laptop now. that sure ain't the 97% Windows hegemony of old - that really was nearly everybody.

and an even nicer ultra machine is an Apple laptop with Windows 7 loaded too, if you like/need it (my wife does for work on our MacBook, so i see it in action a lot).

and how about all those Ultrabook buyers today who are now forced to take Windows 8 on it even tho their machine (most of them) doesn't have a touchscreen to use the UI fully as intended?! how nice is that?

post #106 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Better late than never:-)

RIM nods in agreement, hopes for the best.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #107 of 120
Quote:

It was never true that 97% wanted Windows -- people just did not have a choice, so we live in a better world. Otherwise, in what way is a MacBook a good windows box? It is more expensive, does not have the right touchpad, and if you run both OSes on it via BootCamp, windows is known to be noticeably slower to boot than it does natively (how apple managed to screw this up, I have no idea). In emulation, (VMWare or Parallels), windows is VERY much slower. Since you can get an ultrabook for quite cheap, what's the point?

the point of course is we need only one laptop to use both OS's. definitely cheaper than buying two laptops - one of each, his and hers. that's the point. you got a partner? do you share?

will not upgrade it to W8, but the cost would be minimal if needed to. all computers are very fast now, and she just needs the Windows applications her company uses, which are not processor hogs, plus tie into the company servers at work. she's not playing massive games. and when i do home video editing on it, the most processor heavy thing i do, i'm running on the Mac side of course.

post #108 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

When I preordered the iPad 1 the first day it was available, I thought the iPad finally realized the promise of portable computing that laptops and netbooks failed at (this was before the MacBook Air). My iPad mini with its lightness, thinness, and keyboard-lessness (haha) takes this even farther, and with the bigger display, it's a different and sometimes better computing experience than my iPhone.

And for those of us who close to solely use the iPhone as a mobile computing device (I've got 3 whole minutes talk time on mine so far) it's also FAR cheaper a way to go even with LTE.

post #109 of 120
Seems pretty cool to me. Too bad I'm forever locked into iOS due to all my app, movie, TV, and music purchases. It is out of my price range tho; I'll be getting an iPad Mini this Christmas.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

post #110 of 120

I have an honest question for anyones who drool over the new Surface Pro. What make Surface Pro a superior tablet in terms of usefulness over any other prior Tablet PC attempt?

A decade of failed products has clearly showed no one wants to use windows apps on a small screen with a non-precise pointing devices. Microsoft needs to lets go it's windows legacy and start a new platforms from the ground up, anything else will looks like a dying OS on life support.

post #111 of 120
On a positive note, I'm glad to see Microsoft competing instead of copying interface cues from Apple this time around--damn, it's hard to be 100% positive in regards to Microsoft.
post #112 of 120
RIM is doing the right thing: they are not coming out with half-baked software (a la Microsoft), and want their BB10 to be really stable before release.

No, they're making music videos about how you should wait for whatever they release if they ever release it instead of working on it.

post #113 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That price point is astoundingly bad.

PC buyers have always been price sensitive, so Microsoft's pricing is a guaranteed stake in the heart of Surface.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #114 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

What's the battery life? 2 hrs?

4 to 5 hours, from what I've read.

post #115 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaren View Post

4 to 5 hours, from what I've read.

So 2hrs.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #116 of 120
Wow, 900 bucks for a piece of crap from majorcrap. They definately have a another weiner there.
post #117 of 120
Supposedly from the Surface Team @ MS:

Just goes to show that Intel is indeed not capable of creating power-efficient mobile CPU's
post #118 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

$900 for, maybe 32 useable GB out of 64 ....
4 hour battery life ....
Developer disinterest ....
Heavy ....
Sounds like a winner to me!

I think you get about 40GB of usable space.

Quote:

No, the battery life on the RT is 9hrs, so 4-5. Not great, but not awful.

The OP appears to be asking about the Pro.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #119 of 120
MS still doesn't give us numbers for the Pro:

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/storage
post #120 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

MS still doesn't give us numbers for the Pro:
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/storage

I would just go by the Windows 8 installation for the Pro. Hopefully we'll see a nice breakdown from the AnandTech review.

64GB is 59.60GiB with a minimum of 20GB for Win8 puts it at just under 40GiB, but there is some for the VM, it comes with MS Office (right?), and I assume that there are plenty of drivers that simply aren't included so I rounded to 40GB usable space.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Surface Pro to start at $899 for 64GB model