or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First new iMacs roll out to customers in Australia

First new iMacs roll out to customers in Australia

post #1 of 65
Apple on Friday kicked off sales of its totally redesigned iMac all-in-one desktop, and customers in Australia are among the first to get their hands on Apple's newest all-in-one desktop.

New iMac

AppleInsider reader Ben managed to snag a 21.5-inch iMac just minutes after the computer launched in Apple Stores and authorized resellers on Friday local Australia time.

A quick check with various Australian retail locations found iMac supply was unsurprisingly concentrated at stores in larger cities like Sydney, while smaller outlets such as Canberra had yet to receive their allotments. This is in line with a statement from Apple CEO Tim Cook, who noted that there would be a "significant shortage" of iMacs in the fourth quarter.

Apple announced on Tuesday that it would be launching the revamped iMac on Friday, Nov. 30, just making the November ship-by date promised when the device was unveiled in October.

Starting tomorrow, the 21.5-inch model will be available through Apple's online and brick-and-mortar stores, as well as authorized dealers. Apple will also open up orders for the 27-inch model on through its online storefront, however those units won't ship until December

The 21.5-inch iMac features a 2.7-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and Nvidia GeForce GT 640M graphics for a suggested retail price of $1,299. A faster 2.9-gigahertz model will be offered for $1,499.

The larger 27-inch iMac will have a 2.9-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 and GeForce GTX 660M graphics for $1,799, while the 3.2-gigahertz model comes with GTX 675MX graphics and will cost $1,999.

iMac Box
Photos of the new iMac "trapezoidal" boxing.
post #2 of 65
So much for "Apple is doomed" Hey, it's still November, right?
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #3 of 65
Phew - again!
post #4 of 65
Any lines yet? Lol
post #5 of 65

trapezium box?

post #6 of 65
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #7 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzelburg View Post

trapezium box?

That is a first for Apple, I think. But flip-flop stacking could save ~10-20% in shipping volume and, consequently, shipping costs?

post #8 of 65

edit

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #9 of 65
Almost midday here in Melbourne and still no sign of the iMac's in the online store?
post #10 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by klif-e View Post

Almost midday here in Melbourne and still no sign of the iMac's in the online store?

I guess they can wait until 11:59 PM and still meet their "Available in November" promise...

post #11 of 65
Humph 1rolleyes.gif. New iTunes 11 flagged on the main (Oz) page but no iMac 1oyvey.gif. Still "coming Soon". Maybe the Oz page will update/refresh when the US one does. Even in that case it would have been nice for Apple to show willing for the "poor old" desktop here, though... sigh...
post #12 of 65

The isosceles Mac, the "iMac" -- or at least the box

post #13 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

That is a first for Apple, I think. But flip-flop stacking could save ~10-20% in shipping volume and, consequently, shipping costs?

Unless the top is half the width of the bottom they won't stack. And judging by the photos it ain't. The shipping costs argument is what a lot of forum members were attributing to the new thin design 1oyvey.gif

post #14 of 65
It would have to be on weight alone then...
post #15 of 65
I just want to see how much it will cost to upgrade to Fusion drive so i can save the right amount for the 27"when (if) it gets released.
post #16 of 65
Quote:

More units per container, I guess. I think the new packaging makes sense. I am surprised it's not tapered even more. The top edge is 10% the depth of the base. Even when accounting for the manuals, mouse and keyboard, I think the top edge of the packaging could be thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Unless the top is half the width of the bottom they won't stack.

I don't see why. Any ratio should do fine.

Quote:
And judging by the photos it ain't. The shipping costs argument is what a lot of forum members were attributing to the new thin design 1oyvey.gif

It was a lame argument. It's a nice side effect, that's all.
post #17 of 65
Does anyone know where to one today
post #18 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Unless the top is half the width of the bottom they won't stack. And judging by the photos it ain't. The shipping costs argument is what a lot of forum members were attributing to the new thin design 1oyvey.gif

Not true. Whatever angle the box's bevel is, inverting the box inverts the angle and the boxes stack perfectly.

post #19 of 65

So will they be available on the online store at 12:00am EST or PST? I wantz to know. 

post #20 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Not true. Whatever angle the box's bevel is, inverting the box inverts the angle and the boxes stack perfectly.

Damn you're right!

post #21 of 65

"totally redesigned"?   not really.   the iMac is a great machine, the new ones are the nicest versions of this line so far, but this is not a total redesign,..

Switching from Bondi blue plastic with a CRT to an LCD panel in an aluminum case on a pedestal was a total redesign.   

The new version of the iMacs are certainly sweet computers, but I think I will hold out for one with a thinner edge.  

post #22 of 65
Quote:

It's also considerably lighter and smaller than the previous iMac box so total savings could be extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

"totally redesigned"?   not really.   the iMac is a great machine, the new ones are the nicest versions of this line so far, but this is not a total redesign,..

Switching from Bondi blue plastic with a CRT to an LCD panel in an aluminum case on a pedestal was a total redesign.   

The new version of the iMacs are certainly sweet computers, but I think I will hold out for one with a thinner edge.  

Still using an LCD panel doesn't mean it's not a complete redesign. You're only looking at the exterior design in your example. I bet most people would say the iPhone 4G was a bigger redesign over the original than the iPhone 5 from the 4S, but they'd be wrong. The iPhone 3G was pretty much the same internal components from the original but with a new casing.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #23 of 65
Quote:

Why do people always seem equate design with asthetics only? I'm sure when Apple uses the word redesigned they're not just referring to how it looks.
post #24 of 65
A couple pics I spotted on macrumors. Looks sweet. I especially like that the display has less glare.

post #25 of 65

Video of first iMac purchasers

http://youtu.be/tmJJoQOAKvw

post #26 of 65
iFixit teardown in 3, 2, 1....
post #27 of 65
Quote:

You're kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPhone 3G was pretty much the same internal components from the original but with a new casing.

The radio wasn't new? Or did they just enable 3G? Wasn't the CPU faster too?
Edited by JeffDM - 11/29/12 at 9:00pm
post #28 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You're kidding, right?

Apparently 5mm is just too thick! 1biggrin.gif

/

/

/

post #29 of 65
Quote:

You're kidding, right?

Higher clock speed but pretty much the same ASIC. Of course they added the 3G chips, hence my 'pretty much' statement. Overall it's was once of the least significant YoY changes to the iPhone from an engineering standpoint.

post #30 of 65
Quote:

You can get the specs for the various iPhone models here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

It's true that (other than the radio and the case) the iPhone 3G wasn't all that different from the original iPhone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You can get the specs for the various iPhone models here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
It's true that (other than the radio and the case) the iPhone 3G wasn't all that different from the original iPhone.

I was looking at that page before I posed the question. That page isn't very clear on the questions I asked. It would seem to me there was a CPU die shrink at least, if the battery capacity really did drop as that page says.
post #32 of 65

was thinking, with the imac getting so small, you could add a small battery from the macbook air, so that it had backup power supply. 

post #33 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

was thinking, with the imac getting so small, you could add a small battery from the macbook air, so that it had backup power supply. 

You could, but I wouldn't want that. If the power goes out the internet also goes out so the average user would be dead in the water anyway. If it's about saving data Mac OS is very good about saving instantly so have a battery backup so you can first save documents is mostly a pointless act with a modern OS. Finally, those who are buying iMacs probably live in areas where frequent and random power outages don't occur.
Edited by SolipsismX - 11/29/12 at 9:51pm

post #34 of 65
The new IMac is beautiful yet could have kept the optical drive most definitely thin just think back in time so many years a computers thinness would be the size of a room yet it's now as thin as a book. (Not to mention it can now display books).
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So much for "Apple is doomed" Hey, it's still November, right?

Pfft. Still not on the Apple Online Store Australia.

Apple is going downhill. These past 6 months have been the worst launch of products in Apple's history.

Welcome to pre-Steve-Jobs.

If an Apple Authorised Reseller did this kind of stuff a few years ago we'd be crucified by Apple HQ.

Now Apple itself is like this.

It won't last long, at this rate Apple is going.
Edited by sr2012 - 11/30/12 at 12:46am
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

A couple pics I spotted on macrumors. Looks sweet. I especially like that the display has less glare.

Steve Lives!

post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

iFixit teardown in 3, 2, 1....

Close, but no banana:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/154707/redesigned-imac-gets-teardown-treatment-hours-after-launch

post #38 of 65
I popped into the Apple Store near me in the Sydney suburbs this arvo (ca. 3:45) and there weren't no new iMacs!

I asked one of the staff where they where and she said that they were out the back, having been delivered this morning; and that they would be unpacking them for display this evening. I could still buy one if I wanted, though. She also said no date yet on the 27".

If it gets too hot here tomorrow I might go in and have a look, where it's also nice and cool (we don't have a/c).
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

I popped into the Apple Store near me in the Sydney suburbs this arvo (ca. 3:45) and there weren't no new iMacs!
I asked one of the staff where they where and she said that they were out the back, having been delivered this morning; and that they would be unpacking them for display this evening. I could still buy one if I wanted, though. She also said no date yet on the 27".
If it gets too hot here tomorrow I might go in and have a look, where it's also nice and cool (we don't have a/c).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Pfft. Still not on the Apple Online Store Australia.
Apple is going downhill. These past 6 months have been the worst launch of products in Apple's history.
Welcome to pre-Steve-Jobs.
It won't last long, at this rate Apple is going.

“Most of our lives are crucified between two thieves, yesterday and tomorrow. We never live today. But the time to live is now. It is today.”

A wise man once said, "Patience is a virtue. Especially when waiting for the arrival of the new iMac. Enjoy tomorrow."

post #40 of 65
Live on OZ Apple Store now. YAY!
$240 for extra 8GB RAM. BOO!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First new iMacs roll out to customers in Australia