or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › MacOS shutdown is frustratingly slow. Is this the norm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MacOS shutdown is frustratingly slow. Is this the norm?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
When I first gave up Windows in favor of a MBP, I was delighted with the manner in which a shutdown led to an almost instant black screen. As each new version of MacOS came about, shutdown became a little slower. Now, even if I quit all apps (or think I have) ahead of time, I still get the spinning progress ball on a white screen before the full shutdown comes about. Inasmuch as we shutdown every night, this is rather annoying (though not, of course, earth-shattering). Is this just "the way of the world" or can someone point me to a tutorial for tuning our two MBPs toward faster shutdown?
post #2 of 11

Why do you shut down?  Unless something has dramatically changed with the later OS' (I have an old skool TiBook) why don't you just close the lid and let it sleep?

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Why do you shut down?  Unless something has dramatically changed with the later OS' (I have an old skool TiBook) why don't you just close the lid and let it sleep?

We shut down because, (1) AFAIK, the MBP will continue will continue to draw some little battery, however small, and (2) I would think it a security risk to have the MBP open up from sleep without requiring logon. As for (2), the tradeoff for setting up *required* signon after sleep would be that anytime the screen went to sleep due to inactivity, we'd have to go through the hassle of logon, no? We often shut the lid midday during brief periods of inactivity, but, overnight or on weekends or during periods when we foresee switching off to the iPad for awhile, we do full shutdown. So there's why.
post #4 of 11
Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post
We shut down because, (1) AFAIK, the MBP will continue will continue to draw some little battery, however small

 

So what? You're supposed to be charging it regularly, anyway. You have a month of standby time. A MONTH.

 

(2) I would think it a security risk to have the MBP open up from sleep without requiring logon.

 

So don't do that. Require a password on wake.

 

 As for (2), the tradeoff for setting up *required* signon after sleep would be that anytime the screen went to sleep due to inactivity, we'd have to go through the hassle of logon, no?

 

No! Enjoy:

 

1000

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

All your suggestions *still* do not address the question I originally raised. They suggest *alternatives*! I was asking about the speed of shutdown, not requesting alternatives to shutdown. Okay?

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

All your suggestions *still* do not address the question I originally raised. They suggest *alternatives*! I was asking about the speed of shutdown, not requesting alternatives to shutdown. Okay?

 

Check the console logs to see what it is doing during the shutdown process or put it into verbose mode to watch in real time. That may shed some light on the issue. 

post #7 of 11
Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post
All your suggestions *still* do not address the question I originally raised. They suggest *alternatives*! I was asking about the speed of shutdown, not requesting alternatives to shutdown. Okay?

 

What's your point?


You're doing it wrong. We're telling you this and showing you how to do it much, MUCH better. It's your choice to completely ignore that. 


Stop shutting down. It's not 1995 anymore. In the past ten years, I have shut my computer down for the sole purpose of moving it from one location to another (it's a desktop). 

 

Your problem isn't SOP; it's probably related to whatever you have open that you're quitting every time.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #8 of 11

If he doesn't want to listen then that his choice.  

 

As for the "problem" I would guess an application or process is hanging that is slowing down the shutdown process.  As suggested above the console logs and verbose shutdown should be investigated.  I can remember once I had issues where I had a lagging shutdown.  To find the issue I went through a sudo kill phase in the terminal to find the process that was responsible.  Not pretty, and luckily the OS is pretty robust that you can do this.

 

 

 

Quad:~ omega$ uptime
21:31  up 50 days, 23:52, 2 users, load averages: 0.41 0.47 0.66
 
Ω:~ omega$ uptime
21:31  up 28 days, 23:52, 2 users, load averages: 0.06 0.03 0.00
 
 
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
As for whatever I "have running", it occurs even when Finder is the only app active (confirmed AFAIK by ONYX insofar as what's started at logon). Insofar as "why shutdown" I know that power drain occurs even with a short time away. However, I'll try verbose shutdown as you suggest, to see what's going on. Thanks for all your help, in spite of your other remarks. I'll leave it at that.
post #10 of 11
Just because you only have Finder running does not mean that other processes are not running, for example you could have Spotlight indexing.
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
post #11 of 11
I've noticed shutdown getting slower over the years and it seems to cancel more often because apps (mainly Adobe's) don't quit fast enough. You can try an immediate shutdown command:

http://lifehacker.com/5831557/shut-down-or-reboot-your-mac-immediately-with-a-keyboard-command

Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+Eject

It shouldn't wait for apps to confirm shutdown. You can also just force logout though using cmd-shift-opt-q and then tap the power button to sleep - this quits all apps but saves going through a bootup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › MacOS shutdown is frustratingly slow. Is this the norm?