or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › How to revert from Newest iTunes(11)

How to revert from Newest iTunes(11)

post #1 of 3

I updated iTunes in the last couple of days and I absolutely want the previous version back.  How can I do that?  Most of the new bells & whistles don't work correctly - another software screwup like maps?

I also ended up with individual songs that I hadn't downloaded at all - what's with that?

And I'm not even sure if all my music is still there.

Can anyone tell me how to revert to my previous version.  BTW, I have been working off a new, bigger external hard drive - I still have the old hard drive in my Macbook, but it is not being used as the start up disk (I know, I have to switch them out 1hmm.gif .  Can this be done using my old disk's version of iTunes?

Thanks

post #2 of 3

Obviously, You'll need a copy of the previous version that you desire to run... don't know if you can even get it from Apple now that 11 is out.

You might have a copy on your back-up drive?... from Time Machine perhaps?... or on another computer you haven't updated yet?

Next... the first time you started iTunes 11, it "updated" your library... that library cannot be "downgraded" to be compatible with any older versions of iTunes.

So... the actual media files are still compatible, but you'll need to find the OLD copy of the itunes-specific library info (.xml files and such) from a backup.

If THAT's not possible, You'll have to re-import all your media files once you get the old iTunes re-installed.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #3 of 3

I've got the older version of iTunes and the music files (I don't have video etc) on my old internal hard drive (which is not what I'm using in the Macbook - I'm using an external, larger drive).  So I should be able to transfer the old iTunes and music from the old drive to the new one?  What is the correct way to do this?  What steps should I be taking to do this.

I've been using the new hard drive for a couple of months, so some of my newer music won't be on there and I don't have all the CDs that I copied (I gave them away).

Obviously, I'm not used to doing this stuff.  Sure would make life easier if Apple allowed us to revert.

I usually don't download new versions right away - I usually wait to see what others are saying about it.  This is the one time I went ahead and upgraded.  Guess it's back to my old way of doing things.

Thanks for any add'l info you can give me that will help me not screw this up.

BTW, I don't use Time Machine, I have CrashPlan.  And I'm running Snow Leopard on an old white Macbook.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › How to revert from Newest iTunes(11)