or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › News Corp's iPad newspaper 'The Daily' shutting down Dec. 15

News Corp's iPad newspaper 'The Daily' shutting down Dec. 15

post #1 of 33
The Daily, a News Corporation publication that debuted on the iPad and was developed in cooperation with Apple, will cease to be on Dec. 15.

The shuttering of The Daily after less than two years was announced by News Corporation on Monday as part of a larger corporate restructuring. Publication of the digital newspaper will halt in less than two weeks.

?From its launch, The Daily was a bold experiment in digital publishing and an amazing vehicle for innovation," said News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch. "Unfortunately, our experience was that we could not find a large enough audience quickly enough to convince us the business model was sustainable in the long-term.

"Therefore we will take the very best of what we have learned at The Daily and apply it to all our properties. Under the editorial leadership of Editor-in-Chief Col Allan and the business and digital leadership of Jesse, I know The New York Post will continue to grow and become stronger on the web, on mobile, and not least, the paper itself. I want to thank all of the journalists, digital and business professionals for the hard work they put into The Daily."

The Daily

News Corp announced that assets from The Daily will be folded into the Post, along with some employees. The publication was said to have about 120 employees after it axed a third of its staff in July.

The Daily was created to help newspapers transition into the digital era dominated by tablet devices like Apple's iPad. News Corp. Murdoch's team reportedly worked with Apple and its late co-founder Steve Jobs to create an iPad-centric publication which would later be ported to Google's Android operating system.

The Daily
Apple's Eddy Cue and News Corp.'s Rupert Murdoch unveiled The Daily in early 2011.

The iPad newspaper was announced at a press conference held by Apple and News Corp in January of 2011. At that event, Murdoch was joined onstage by Apple senior vice president Eddy Cue.

The Daily was the first application on Apple's iOS App Store to feature the in-app subscription service. That functionality later became a major part of the Newsstand feature of iOS.
post #2 of 33
That's too bad, I read the Daily every day & it's great on the iPad!
post #3 of 33
News Corp's editorial integrity was always a barrier for me - not surprised.
post #4 of 33

Murdoch is evil. I'm glad his filth won't be polluting iDevices. 

I would much rather support something like The Magazine. 

post #5 of 33

LOL Tyrannosaurus sex. I think the headlines on the sample cover are perfectly emblematic of why this venture failed.

turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #6 of 33

The WSJ has a great iPad app, which I think is also owned by Murdoch. 

post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

LOL Tyrannosaurus sex. I think the headlines on the sample cover are perfectly emblematic of why this venture failed.
Exactly. Now if only Apple would let me stick newstand in a folder since I rarely ever use it.
post #8 of 33

To support nothing that man touches. Personal policy.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #9 of 33

That's a darn shame.  If a digital newspaper can't survive on the iPad, I guess it won't survive on any tablet platform.

post #10 of 33

News Corp's Rupert Murdoch has admitted that the only reason he became an 'American' was so that he could attempt to take over our media and affect public policy. 

I wouldn't give a dime to this tabloid hack and corporate propagandist.

Good riddance.

post #11 of 33
Quote:

If it is true what they say regarding a "man's hand size"?  If you look at the Tyrannosaurus's hand versus its overall size, one could probably understand why T-Rex was always sooo grumpy!  I mean look at T-Rex... a big head and little hands, what to do... what to do.

Regarding story about "The Daily" closing... Does nothing survive in you know who's economy?! 1rolleyes.gif

Gallagher's Steak House since 1927, met its doom during you know who's economy.

famed Stage Deli See ya!

/

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #12 of 33
Nah, it's not true about a "man's hand size".

I've got tiny hands.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Exactly. Now if only Apple would let me stick newstand in a folder since I rarely ever use it.

I have yet to find a single magazine that's worth the effort of putting it into NewsStand.  

The content is almost zero for most magazines, they cost a relative fortune, and they are full of advertisements even though you've paid for the "content" outright already.  

Magazines, digital or "regular" also have the same problem they've had for years now which is that all of the information they do contain is months old.  The Internet will continue to demolish magazine sales regardless of the fact that they are now digital.  Why buy a computer magazine when the articles are all about things that are already old news on the web?  Same with Politics and most every other subject.  

Magazines are just for old people to read about stuff that everyone who has the Internet (or any real active interest in the topic), knew about months ago.  

post #14 of 33
There's numerous reasons for the failure of this venture but the primary reason is Robert Murdoch.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

<snip>

Regarding story about "The Daily" closing... Does nothing survive in you know who's economy?! 1rolleyes.gif

Gallagher's Steak House since 1927, met its doom during you know who's economy.

famed Stage Deli See ya!

/

/

/

"you know who's economy"? I assume that either means Bill Clinton because of the timeless question of what the meaning "is" is, or George Bush II because he'd probably turn "whose" into "who is" as well and tout not knowing the difference as a unique American strength.

The fundamental problem was that the content was vapid, making it even more difficult for it to succeed in an industry that's going through a paper-to-digital transition where other - often more timely and freely accessible! - content is challenging it. Or... I guess we can try to make it purely political.

post #16 of 33

I read The Daily nearly every day.

I too am against Rupert Murdock's agenda, but found The Daily to be reasonably unbiased.

They did many creative things with the format; pictures, animation, animated polls, etc.

The cover chosen for this story is more solicitous than most. Most covers weren't bad.

The application did suffer from some annoying bugs resulting in crashes of the app.

It's too bad that this effort failed, as I'd like to read the newspaper/magazine on my iPad.

post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have yet to find a single magazine that's worth the effort of putting it into NewsStand.  

The content is almost zero for most magazines, they cost a relative fortune, and they are full of advertisements even though you've paid for the "content" outright already.  

Magazines, digital or "regular" also have the same problem they've had for years now which is that all of the information they do contain is months old.  The Internet will continue to demolish magazine sales regardless of the fact that they are now digital.  Why buy a computer magazine when the articles are all about things that are already old news on the web?  Same with Politics and most every other subject.  

Magazines are just for old people to read about stuff that everyone who has the Internet (or any real active interest in the topic), knew about months ago.  

Totally. I remember grabbing the morning paper to see where stock prices closed the day before and having to look through Computer Shopper to find mail-order deals on software and hardware in the pre-Al-Gore's-interweb days. ;)  Nowadays, it's really no comparison.  Product launches, reviews, general news - they're all there immediately, making a paid magazine, particularly one like this that arguably had less depth than many others, a really tough sell.

The price issue is definitely interesting since the magazines traditionally make most of their money from the ads - which quickly turn an online magazine into a cluttered (and much larger download size) mess. It seems that there's very little allowance made for the fact that the distribution becomes essentially free - which would logically lead to either cutting most of the ads out or lowering the price. But then again, maybe that's less the case than I'd think - I'm nowhere near the magazine industry and really have no idea. :) 

post #18 of 33
Quote:

Quote:

I just wish Apple would let us hide/uninstall anything we will not use.  Like Newsstand, or Game Center, or Stocks.... ect.

post #19 of 33
Quote:

Don't buy them then, wait until you grow up.

post #20 of 33
Quote:

Other view: magazines are for depth analyses, requiring effort. The web, instant as it is, definitely doesn't carry the quality of information that the Herald Tribune, Le Monde Diplomatique or the FT do.

Yellow journalism is dying at last? So what. It's done enough damage in its 150 years of existence that I say "good riddance".

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #21 of 33
If it was any good it would have built the audience it needed... especially in the high-politics run up to a presidential election. The gimmicky headlines were AWFUL after the first one or two you read. Got old real fast. Also the gossipy angle. Too gossippy to be useful to news people, perhaps too newsy to be useful to gossip readers.

A failed experiment.
post #22 of 33
I never liked the interface. You had to navigate too many bells & whistles to get at the content. USA Today has a much simpler and more efficient interface to navigate all their content quickly.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #23 of 33
It's not natural to read. Click this to expand that. I don't want to watch a video. Men's Heath magazine does the same thing and I let my subscription lapse.
post #24 of 33
Quote:

That's an absurd statement.    You might be somewhat correct about newspapers, but magazines, especially quality magazines, contain content that is not necessarily time sensitive.    An in-depth investigation into fraud, an analysis of how an elective office was won, a biography, an article about the international sex or drug trades, trends in the fashion world, an analysis of a company, etc. are all topics that magazines serve well.    

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

News Corp's Rupert Murdoch has admitted that the only reason he became an 'American' was so that he could attempt to take over our media and affect public policy. 

I wouldn't give a dime to this tabloid hack and corporate propagandist.

Good riddance.

Don't give him so much credit.     Murdoch wants money, power and relevancy.   I think affecting public policy is secondary to his motivations.   People give Murdoch's properties far too much credit.    If Fox News has so much power, then how have Republicans lost two elections in a row?    The fact is that while Fox News might be the #1 cable news channel, only about 4% of the total audience actually watches it.    And no one takes anything the New York Post does seriously - it's considered to be a joke. 

Insiders claim that Murdoch actually is embarrassed by much of what Fox News does, but he won't change it because it does make a lot of money.    Anyways, I give him another three years tops in an active role and I think News Corporation will change drastically after he's gone.

I will give him credit for getting into portable device publishing early, even if not all the properties have been huge successes.    I don't think it's been a quality issue, I think it's more that most consumers are satisfied searching for free news on Google and/or simply reading headlines.    And even though I don't agree with the editorial board of the WSJ, I think both the print and electronic publications are quite good.  

post #25 of 33
I liked "The Daily" as an iPad App but canceled the subscription because it has too much "conservative" slant. Opinions pieces are fine, just liked to read with different perspectives.
post #26 of 33
When it was free, it was horrible. I canceled and never considered purchasing. May Murdoch roast in Hell, along with Fox News and the WSJ.
Eph nMP, rMBP, MBA, Minis
Eph nMP, rMBP, MBA, Minis
post #27 of 33
Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

News Corp's editorial integrity was always a barrier for me - not surprised.

Yes.

I think the headlines on the sample cover are perfectly emblematic of why this venture failed.

Yes.

Now if only Apple would let me stick newstand in a folder since I rarely ever use it.

And again yes!

post #28 of 33
This is the best image.
post #29 of 33
Quote:

Create a page at the end of your list where you can dump all the junk that you can't delete.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #30 of 33
Originally Posted by jsnively View Post
This is the best image.

"Artist shows how dinos did it"

Gotta wonder what goes through that guy's head on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphdaily View Post

That's too bad, I read the Daily every day & it's great on the iPad!

Ralphdaily reads The Daily, daily? There's something you don't see every day. No wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple 
If it is true what they say regarding a "man's hand size"? If you look at the Tyrannosaurus's hand versus its overall size, one could probably understand why T-Rex was always sooo grumpy! I mean look at T-Rex... a big head and little hands, what to do... what to do.

I'd say arm length was probably the more important factor here. Along with a lack of internet access. Thankfully, evolution sorted that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo 
If a digital newspaper can't survive on the iPad, I guess it won't survive on any tablet platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee 

I think there is a case for the appification of information content as it allows publishers to bundle a group of well-edited, well-researched content together and charge for it. The trouble with good editorial is that it takes time and it's a race against the clock to get breaking news out there.

Then there's cross-linking. A lot of blog sites will quote or link to another site. That's difficult to do in a magazine without jumping into a browser anyway.

There's so much online news that paying for one source isn't worthwhile. It has to be an aggregate. I don't particularly like the ad-supported model of websites and multiple sites having different layouts. There's an app called Summly that's pulls snippets of news together but there's still the issue of making people pay enough to support the contributions.

I think Newsstand's biggest problems include a lack of free-to-view content and failing to rethink the magazine concept enough on the digital platform. Interactivity isn't enough because websites have it already.

One thing that's compelling with a local paper at least is local news. That can't be done on a website easily but you could add regions of interest and get information from multiple local sources, including local ads.

Rather than Newsstand being a collection of magazines, I'd rather it was an aggregate of articles from multiple sources along with local news. You'd subscribe for free to feeds you'd be interested in and they'd populate a space. You'd be able to delete articles like Tyrannosaurus Sex and it would learn that you aren't interested in this (or if you are, report you to the authorities). This information would be passed back to the publisher so they can learn what people like. The 'space' would become your personal feed of information and you'd pay to view articles but articles would be charged at flat rates e.g 1c per article.

Either that or Apple charges a flat subscription to use newsstand and the distribution of the profit in that fee is based on whose articles you read most but publishers might not like as they can't ever make more than the subscription fee from one reader.
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I liked "The Daily" as an iPad App but canceled the subscription because it has too much "conservative" slant. Opinions pieces are fine, just liked to read with different perspectives.

So, what replaced The Daily that isn't as 'conservative' or, dare I ask?

post #33 of 33
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
His need to feed his children?

"Daddy, what did you do at work today?"
"I drew dinosaurs having sex."
"What's sex?"

"Oh, boy…"

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › News Corp's iPad newspaper 'The Daily' shutting down Dec. 15