or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple hiring former Texas Instruments chip engineers in Israel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple hiring former Texas Instruments chip engineers in Israel

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
In a bid to expand its chip-making business in Israel, Apple has reportedly hired a number of former Texas Instruments engineers living in the country, with the new employees said to bolster the tech giant's research and development resources in the region.

Teardown A6 Close
Apple's latest A6 SoC powers the new iPhone 5. | Source: iFixit


People familiar with Apple's developing Israel-based operations told The Next Web that the company has been hiring "dozens" of engineers to work in the cities of Haifa and Herzliya, the latter of which being the home base of purchased the flash memory maker in December of 2011.

The sources went on to say that Apple is picking up former TI employees who were laid off in a culling of 250 jobs at the company's Ra'anana location, which itself is part of a larger global workforce cutdown of around 1,700 employees. According to TI Israel's website, the Ra'anana campus was responsible for wireless connectivity solutions like WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS and OMAP products. OMAP, or Open Multimedia Applications Platform, is a type of system-on-a-chip developed by the Texas-based company currently being used in portable devices like Amazon's Kindle Fire HD.

Apple in April was reported to be gearing up for a major hiring campaign to fill spots at its Israel R&D center located in Haifa's Scientific Industries Center, which boasts a collective of high-tech companies like Google, Intel and IBM. The recent TI Israel hires won't be the first for Apple, as former Deputy CEO Etai Zaitsman is said to be working on the Haifa initiative headed up by Aharon Aharon, a veteran of Israel's tech industry.

In May, AppleInsider discovered a number of listings on Apple's job board for SoC engineers located in the Haifa and Herzliya Pituah regions of Israel.
post #2 of 34

1000

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #3 of 34
Another small step toward the inevitable Intel-free Apple future.

Intel Core i7: $1000.

Apple A6X: $17.50.

Do the math.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Another small step toward the inevitable Intel-free Apple future.
Intel Core i7: $1000.
Apple A6X: $17.50.
Do the math.


You already know those aren't feasible numbers.

post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post


You already know those aren't feasible numbers.

 

True, but if you can also look at it this way.  An Intel Core i7 3610QM starts for $378.  Since Apple buys large volumes, let's just put it $300 for comparison sake.  The Intel part is 160 square millimeters.  That is roughly $1.88 per square millimeter in die area.

 

If you look at the A6, it is 96.71 square millimeters for a total cost of $17.50.  That is $0.18 per square millimeter, or about a factor of 10 cheaper.

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
Reply
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
Reply
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

 

True, but if you can also look at it this way.  An Intel Core i7 3610QM starts for $378.  Since Apple buys large volumes, let's just put it $300 for comparison sake.  The Intel part is 160 square millimeters.  That is roughly $1.88 per square millimeter in die area.

 

If you look at the A6, it is 96.71 square millimeters for a total cost of $17.50.  That is $0.18 per square millimeter, or about a factor of 10 cheaper.

 

This is comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges. Intel's process advantage right now is almost one whole node in front of everyone else. If they made A6 on Intel's latest process, it would probably run 1.5 times faster and use 75% the power.

Furthermore, Apple isn't paying R&D costs when it is purchasing those chips from Samsung. Intel has to factor in the price of the billions it spends on R&D when it sells the i7-3610QM.

Finally, if Intel made 3610QMs at the volumes that Apple uses A6s, the price would be far less than $300 since the marginal cost of each additional chip is quite small.

post #7 of 34

Israel is a pretty nasty country to do business with.  If they are going to start using Israeli manufacture for any significant portion of their product they definitely will lose some customers and a lot of public goodwill.  

post #8 of 34
How would Apple it's largest single costumer not be paying for Samsung R&D through the price it pays. How else is it being paid?
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

How would Apple it's largest single costumer not be paying for Samsung R&D through the price it pays. How else is it being paid?

That's like saying I'm paying for Apple's R&D cost when I buy a song on iTunes Store. Sure, a fraction of their total profits get put into R&D and you can use that same ratio to figure out what portion of that $1.29 is going for R&D but that's not what he stated.

Apple isn't paying Samsung for R&D, they are paying them for production of R&D that Samsung has already worked out. You can contrast this to Apple having to invest in their chip production or Apple investing billions with LG to get them to R&D Retina displays.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Israel is a pretty nasty country to do business with...

 

 

Here we go...

post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post


Here we go...

I don't see anything wrong with his comment. His focus was on doing business in the country, not with the people. There are clearly some countries that are easier to do business with than others. I personally don't have any experience in this area but I've read about various laws that affect business in negative and positive ways. I would like to hear more specifics about his comment though.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 34
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I don't see anything wrong with his comment. His focus was on doing business in the country, not with the people.

 

The "loss of customers and goodwill" pretty much shows what he means.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I don't see anything wrong with his comment..

 

Says a country is 'nasty' to do business with, without any elaboration and you think that is acceptable, informed, useful, relevant comment? It's a ridiculous snide pointless and inflammatory comment.

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Israel is a pretty nasty country to do business with.  If they are going to start using Israeli manufacture for any significant portion of their product they definitely will lose some customers and a lot of public goodwill.  

So don't buy anymore Apple products. They don't need your money. Apple doesn't make decisions based on what extremists might think.

As for me, I'm liking Apple even more now.1smoking.gif
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The "loss of customers and goodwill" pretty much shows what he means.

Ah, I didn't read the full comment, only the part AJ quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Says a country is 'nasty' to do business with, without any elaboration and you think that is acceptable, informed, useful, relevant comment? It's a ridiculous snide pointless and inflammatory comment.

How exactly did you get "I think it's acceptable, informed, useful, and relevant" from "I don't see anything wrong with"?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Israel is a pretty nasty country to do business with.  If they are going to start using Israeli manufacture for any significant portion of their product they definitely will lose some customers and a lot of public goodwill.  

Totally unjustified and completely uninformed! This is especially the case when it is obvious that much of the landscape surrounding Israel is suffering from a collapse of social and governmental responsibility.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Israel is a pretty nasty country to do business with.  If they are going to start using Israeli manufacture for any significant portion of their product they definitely will lose some customers and a lot of public goodwill.  

 

I've got news for you, Gazoobee...

http://www.intel.com/jobs/israel/

post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post


Here we go...

I don't see anything wrong with his comment. His focus was on doing business in the country, not with the people. There are clearly some countries that are easier to do business with than others. I personally don't have any experience in this area but I've read about various laws that affect business in negative and positive ways. I would like to hear more specifics about his comment though.

I think you need to retread the comment. There are all sorts of issues with every country Apple deals with, it isn't a perfect world. However the comment contained a threat that doing business with or in Israel will result in people taking a special exception to that relationship and somehow abandon Apple. That is the problem with the post as it demonstrates a specific hatred for the country.
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


I think you need to retread the comment. There are all sorts of issues with every country Apple deals with, it isn't a perfect world. However the comment contained a threat that doing business with or in Israel will result in people taking a special exception to that relationship and somehow abandon Apple. That is the problem with the post as it demonstrates a specific hatred for the country.

If one were to keep up with current events then I doubt you would assume that his/her post demonstrates a specific hatred for the country. Instead it demonstrates a truism in a polarized world.

 

One could have as easily said the opposite which I suppose we would then have to assume that it demonstrates a specific love for the country.

 

Different strokes for different folks.


Edited by island hermit - 12/3/12 at 10:07pm
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #20 of 34
Israel is currently a hotbed for IT mostly due to the quality of engineers and ease of doing business. Google, Intel, Microsoft and now Apple are all growing their businesses there.
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Israel is a pretty nasty country to do business with.  

 

Better or worse than China?

post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

 

Better or worse than China?

 

Worse. 

post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Totally unjustified and completely uninformed! This is especially the case when it is obvious that much of the landscape surrounding Israel is suffering from a collapse of social and governmental responsibility.

 

No offence, but you don't know what you're talking about and you haven't really made an argument anyway.

post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


So don't buy anymore Apple products. They don't need your money. Apple doesn't make decisions based on what extremists might think.
As for me, I'm liking Apple even more now.1smoking.gif

 

That's pretty hilarious calling me an extremist.  Even if you agree with Israel's policies it's fairly undeniable that Israel's policies are extremist policies by definition (no other country actually agrees with them for example). 

 

I made a mild criticism (mostly unstated) of an apartheid police state with a history of violence and human rights violations and yet I am an "extremist."  

 

funny 1smile.gif

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

 

Says a country is 'nasty' to do business with, without any elaboration and you think that is acceptable, informed, useful, relevant comment? It's a ridiculous snide pointless and inflammatory comment.

 

Dude, if I "elaborated" on that first post I would simply be accused of spreading hate or worse.  I tried (and tried again even with my responses) to keep it mild and general.  I did that for a reason.  

 

For the record: (and so you can all hate me more efficiently) my point was only that Israel is a horrible country with an awful record of human rights.  It's far worse than China's record is for example and we all wring our hands over Apple doing business in China.  I'm not into boycotts or any of that childish nonsense, but if Apple is seriously going to hook up in a major way with a Apartheid police state ... some people won't do business with them anymore.  

post #26 of 34
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

…an awful record of human rights.

 

Does this have anything to do with their businesses? Specifically the business of which Apple is a part?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Israel is a pretty nasty country to do business with.  If they are going to start using Israeli manufacture for any significant portion of their product they definitely will lose some customers and a lot of public goodwill.  

Israel is a bit of a dichotomy. Within Israel proper it is neither an Apartheid nor a police state. Both Arabs and Jews have equal voting rights, social security benefits, freedom of religion etc...(even if they don't like each other very much) The problem comes with the occupation of the Westbank and blockade of Gaza. Then I suppose 'police-state' would be more appropriate and is the crux of Israel's problem. As for Israeli's themselves, they are a people of diverse opinions, from right to left. I don't want to demonize or ostrasize  a person or a people because of the country they come from. So I don't like it when tech-blogs become politicized, the advancement of technology belongs to all peoples including Israeli's who are actually very good at it. Shalom - Salaam!


Edited by 1983 - 12/4/12 at 8:37am
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Does this have anything to do with their businesses? Specifically the business of which Apple is a part?


If true... then yes... it does have something to do with Apple's business.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #29 of 34
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
If true... then yes... it does have something to do with Apple's business.

 

You know exactly what I'm talking about, but in case it was unclear to others, "Their" was a pronoun for Israel.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Dude, if I "elaborated" on that first post I would simply be accused of spreading hate or worse.  I tried (and tried again even with my responses) to keep it mild and general.  I did that for a reason.  

 

For the record: (and so you can all hate me more efficiently) my point was only that Israel is a horrible country with an awful record of human rights.  It's far worse than China's record is for example and we all wring our hands over Apple doing business in China.  I'm not into boycotts or any of that childish nonsense, but if Apple is seriously going to hook up in a major way with a Apartheid police state ... some people won't do business with them anymore.  

No hate involved; you're simply and deliberately misinformed, and eager to spread your false knowledge to others. Being an apologist for Hamas and other terror-focussed organisations is a splendid way to bolster one's one's rep as an intellectual stub.

 

Why do some individuals insist on espousing stupidity as a life standard to be pursued?

 

Cheers

post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

No hate involved; you're simply and deliberately misinformed, and eager to spread your false knowledge to others. Being an apologist for Hamas and other terror-focussed organisations is a splendid way to bolster one's one's rep as an intellectual stub.

 

Why do some individuals insist on espousing stupidity as a life standard to be pursued?

 

Cheers


After I read your post I was wondering the same thing.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #32 of 34

Can you please take this crap to Political Outsider.

post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Israel is a pretty nasty country to do business with.  If they are going to start using Israeli manufacture for any significant portion of their product they definitely will lose some customers and a lot of public goodwill.  

 

Where else can you buy kosher chips? Besides the Arabs only buy basic cell phones to use as detonators.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

Where else can you buy kosher chips? Besides the Arabs only buy basic cell phones to use as detonators.


There's an app for that.

 

[ yes, you're right... my comment is insensitive. Apologies.]


Edited by island hermit - 12/5/12 at 7:39am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple hiring former Texas Instruments chip engineers in Israel