or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Black Friday sales of Windows notebooks down 10%, Apple's MacBooks stay flat

Black Friday sales of Windows notebooks down 10%, Apple's MacBooks stay flat - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post
You really need this spelled out or are you pretending to be obtuse? Just a question...

No, I know exactly what you're implying, but the outcome is in no way different from the actions undertaken by humans on any other day of the year, so I fail to see the purpose in singling it out, particularly when said actions have nothing to do with the results or purpose of this study.

post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I know exactly what you're implying, but the outcome is in no way different from the actions undertaken by humans on any other day of the year, so I fail to see the purpose in singling it out, particularly when said actions have nothing to do with the results or purpose of this study.

I think I took my disdain for this Black, and Cyber crap out on you, and for this I apologize. I am just over it regarding this poop.

post #43 of 53
Quote:

Dear God who cares... A day where people run each over and pull guns on each other. Yah !!!!! What a great fucking day...

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #44 of 53
I think I took my disdain for this Black, and Cyber crap out on you, and for this I apologize. I am just over it regarding this poop.

No worries. I, too, loathe that consumerism can result in the loss of our humanity.

post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No worries. I, too, loathe that consumerism can result in the loss of our humanity.

Humanity... Wasn't that something that existed a long time ago??? :)

post #46 of 53
Quote:

Humanity... Wasn't that something that existed a long time ago??? :)

No, that never existed, because hatred of one's fellow is the natural condition of mankind:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/29/arizona-tourist-captures-photo-of-nypd-officer-buying-boots-for-homeless-man/

Cheers

post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sales stats from Samsung?

Har!

very few people buy phones and tablets direct from Samsung. NPD claims to be tracking retailer and telco sales, so that would include almost all Samsung product sales.

post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

very few people buy phones and tablets direct from Samsung. NPD claims to be tracking retailer and telco sales, so that would include almost all Samsung product sales.

So why is it again why we can't get the same data for Apple, MS and Amazon? It might not give the whole picture but that data could at least be compared YoY (except for MS).

Edited by island hermit - 12/4/12 at 4:39pm
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I am not convinced OEMs have that much freedom. In theory, they could adopt Linux, but in practice, the consumer/IT have shown little interest in Linux. That low end Linux notebook experiment you a talking about was tried already. It was called "Netbook." Between Apple's iPad and Microsoft's emergency downmarket-ing of Windows (i.e., Windows Starter Edition), the Netbook experiment failed to take off. Sure, Google is trying to revive the idea by calling it Chromebook, but that's just new rainbow-colored wallpaper over the same idea.

I believe a Chromebook is seriously limited vs. a Linux machine.  Linux has come a long way in both ease of use and interface.  I think the issues hampering Linux adoption today are the sheer number of distros, lack of popular commercial applications and games (though it is growing slowly), and lack of MS Silverlight support (damn you Netflix).  The GUI has come a long way, and the installation is painless.  The command line is there if you need it, but most people wouldn't need it.  It would be a viable alternative for the cheaper notebook crowd if they could get over the stigma of it being hard to use.  Gamers wouldn't want it, but for a general purpose machine it would serve people well.

post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sales of flat panel TVs were also up slightly, earning a 4 percent increase from 2011. But 2012 revenue on flat panel TVs for Black Friday was down 6 percent, as the average selling price dropped from $367 a year ago to $333 this year.

And everyone thinks that Apple is going to launch a $1999 television next year...

On another note - sales of MS Surface tablets are up 1 Million percent!!!

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I believe a Chromebook is seriously limited vs. a Linux machine.  Linux has come a long way in both ease of use and interface.  I think the issues hampering Linux adoption today are the sheer number of distros, lack of popular commercial applications and games (though it is growing slowly), and lack of MS Silverlight support (damn you Netflix).  The GUI has come a long way, and the installation is painless.  The command line is there if you need it, but most people wouldn't need it.  It would be a viable alternative for the cheaper notebook crowd if they could get over the stigma of it being hard to use.  Gamers wouldn't want it, but for a general purpose machine it would serve people well.

I'm sure you're aware that Chrome OS is a just browser-based UI (like with WebOS) that runs the Linux kernel. When you say "a Linux machine" what distro are you referring to? What GUI are you referring to? I think Chrome OS had a lot of potential for being good performers for a low-cost on low-performance machines for users that have very low needs. Being browser-based does not mean it requires internet access to work. I believe there is even access to the file system in later builds. To be clear, that is not to say that they will ever catch on or that they are right for any one who would read this forum, but I can see it being an option for those in poorer countries in much the same way Android-based devices have become common.

post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Wow, TS did you misplace your brain?  Who gives a damn about "the article"? I was talking about the report SITED in the article. (unless on the other hand the report actually DID report on iPad and iPhone numbers, and then AI just decided... "meh, why include that information; how is that relevant to anything". That would be pretty neglegent on AIs part, so I doubt that that was the case.

You do get points. however, for drawing the worst analogy I think I've ever heard.

TS isn't always my fav guy in the world and often I think he speaks before thinking but this time I have to back him. You replied in a comment thread about an AI article without specifying that you were talking about the source report. His reply was based on what you did say,  not what you didn't that we should be able to figure out without any clues. So your dig is way out of line. If anyone misplaced a brain it was you for not going back and seeing that you didn't say 'in the source report' (or something to that effect) in the original comment. 

Sorry to disagree, but you're wrong these comments are all (for the most part) about the message (ie, the report) Not the messenger (AI). As it should be.

post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm sure you're aware that Chrome OS is a just browser-based UI (like with WebOS) that runs the Linux kernel. When you say "a Linux machine" what distro are you referring to? What GUI are you referring to? I think Chrome OS had a lot of potential for being good performers for a low-cost on low-performance machines for users that have very low needs. Being browser-based does not mean it requires internet access to work. I believe there is even access to the file system in later builds. To be clear, that is not to say that they will ever catch on or that they are right for any one who would read this forum, but I can see it being an option for those in poorer countries in much the same way Android-based devices have become common.

I am aware of the basis for the Chromebook, though I am not an expert in all of it's out-of-the-box capabilities.  Regarding distros, I mentioned  the sheer number of distros was one of the factors of the slow adoption rate as some offer a more fully featured GUI while others run leaner for better performance on less robust machines.  For the sake of argument say I was referring to the more popular Debian based distros.   I assumed that since the Chromebook was a Google product that the user would be locked into the Google ecosystem, thus limiting functionality and what is easily done or installed by the average user not having to resort to command line use or other means to unlock the full functionality.  I agree that the mindshare and marketshare in first world nations will not likely not increase on the consumer side, I was just saying that the interface for the OS has come a long way and most people could get used to it rather quickly using just the GUI.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Black Friday sales of Windows notebooks down 10%, Apple's MacBooks stay flat